Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew~

So you guys actually think we would get 40 millions for a player who put in a verbal transfer request and just had a good but sub-bar season by his own standards?

I don't see it happening.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So please, do tell me how exactly I am being 'hysterical' or 'delusional'?
Here:

would also suggest that the club's position in the game had deteriorated markedly.
I happen to think that that would be disastrous
if we sell Rooney to Chelsea, we won't get near doing so [winning the title].
We'd get to watch out star player romp to an easy title win without us
we would be massively weakened
we won't spend the money to compensate for that loss
and we won't even get close to them[Chelsea]
Losing him would be massively detrimental to our hopes of continuing that success
Losing Rooney will be terrible for this football club
losing him to Chelsea would be an unmitigated disaster.
:wenger:

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Rooney is not going to command a higher fee than 40m imo.
Not from a regular club, but if we're going to sell to Chelsea or City then I'd expect ridiculous money, as they are ridiculous clubs.

You don't sell your best players to your rivals for sensible amounts.

Failing a crazy offer from Chelsea or City then Rooney will either have to sod off abroad, or swallow his pride and stay at United.

Chabon

Yeah, except all of those things are incredibly safe predictions. If we sell him to Chelsea, all of that will be true. I'd bet everything I own on it.

Except, of course, this football club is not run by the cretins which infest this forum, but by apparently prudent and sensible individuals who recognise that allowing such a move to happen would be an astonishing error. So fortunately the odds of me having the chance to be proven right are roughly commensurate with those of you ever getting a clue.

wr8_utd

:'(
I can't believe the amount of our own fans who are blase about selling one of our best players to Chelsea. fecking Chelsea. We'd get to watch out star player romp to an easy title win without us, and some of you fecks are fine with this because we might get 40 million out of it? So we're Arsenal now, are we?
Spot on. I really find it quite unbelievable the ease with which posters on here are happy to take 40m from Chelsea on Rooney. It's almost like absolutely no one remembers what happened when Arsenal sold us RvP.

SirAF

Ageist
Not from a regular club, but if we're going to sell to Chelsea or City then I'd expect ridiculous money, as they are ridiculous clubs.

You don't sell your best players to your rivals for sensible amounts.

Failing a crazy offer from Chelsea or City then Rooney will either have to sod off abroad, or swallow his pride and stay at United.
Maybe City could offer something like that, would be surprised to see Chelsea come in with a stupid bid like 50+ considering how the Torres deal worked out - this could easily be another one.

Andrew~

Spot on. I really find it quite unbelievable the ease with which posters on here are happy to take 40m from Chelsea on Rooney. It's almost like absolutely no one remembers what happened when Arsenal sold us RvP.
You just have to come to terms with the fact that not everyone rates Rooney has highly as you do, and stop taking it so personally.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yeah, except all of those things are incredibly safe predictions. If we sell him to Chelsea, all of that will be true. I'd bet everything I own on it.

Except, of course, this football club is not run by the cretins which infest this forum, but by apparently prudent and sensible individuals who recognise that allowing such a move to happen would be an astonishing error. So fortunately the odds of me having the chance to be proven right are roughly commensurate with those of you ever getting a clue.
Did you really have to use the word commensurate?

I don't think you did.

wr8_utd

You just have to come to terms with the fact that not everyone rates Rooney has highly as you do, and stop taking it so personally.
Yeah it's extremely hard to imagine the player who scored 35 goals just last seen when played in his favorite position, going on to be a major hit at Chelsea.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You'd think United fans would support the club over a player - any player - but, apparently, this isn't the case. Liverpool fans are mocked for 'the cult of the manager'; perhaps we could do without 'the cult of the star player'.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
You'd think United fans would support the club over a player - any player - but, apparently, this isn't the case. Liverpool fans are mocked for 'the cult of the manager'; perhaps we could do without 'the cult of the star player'.
Who's being critical of the club?

Some people would prefer we didn't sell him but if that ends up happening I doubt we'll see mass protests against the club.

Siorac

Thing is, so far we have no clue about the club's stance on all this. If Moyes comes out and says he wants to keep Rooney then "supporting the club" will have a rather different meaning than what your post implies.

Carl

Yeh, it's exactly the same after all...

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Do you think Arsenal selling RVP to us, and United selling Rooney to Chelsea are the same thing? So in effect you believe we will be like Arsenal after they lost RVP. Seriously?

Chabon

Chabon and w8 are acting as if we would finish 20 points behind.
In a bad season Wayne Rooney is worth a good 10-15 points to us. He'll be worth at least that to a Chelsea squad which has underachieved substantially in the last couple of years.

Chabon is in meltdown mode.
It's alright lads, I give in. I had thought I was making a coherent and almost entirely obvious set of points about the dangers of what is, of course, merely an unlikely hypothetical. Turns out I'm actually a hysterical woman (and simultaneously a phallus, quite impressive, I'm sure you'll agree) who is having a meltdown. I'm probably on my period or something.

SteveJ

Scout
Chelsea are always formidable opponents - even when they play badly, they often get the win. If they don't get Rooney, they'll doubtless sign someone equally stellar. Besides, it isn't necessarily a sign of weakness if a club accepts a ridiculously-high offer for a player; and after all we're not only talking of Super Rooney, Saviour of United but also Waning Rooney, the player who shies away from 50/50 tackles & looks to lay-off short passes when he can't be arsed to run.

Note: not that I want him to join Chelsea, natch.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Oh it won't turn us into a shit club. But it would strengthen Chelsea hugely. They finished pretty far behind this season, for many reasons: they had new players discovering the PL, they had a mini meltdown during the first semester, Benitez has been favouring the cup competitions, I feel, to a certain extent... But next year, if they do have Mourinho back (or any other sensible manager, who are able of managing a squad during a whole season), and with a couple of inspired signings (i.e. a defender and a striker who can finish), they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

When Falcao was mentioned on these boards as a possible recruit for them, people were saying "they'll be immense, that's all they need". Surely recruiting Rooney, a proven PL striker who will have a huge return of goals for them when playing in his preferred position, would give them a huge boost. I'm not saying they'd be absolute favourites to win the league, and that our team would be shit compared to theirs, but Rooney in the n°9 position is one of the best players in Europe, and for me the best they could hope to sign.

I'm not in doom mongering mode or anything, it just seems like common sense to recognize that selling him to them would definitely hamper our title chances, regardless of all the other elements of context (the retirements, the new manager...).

Carl

It's alright lads, I give in. I had thought I was making a coherent and almost entirely obvious set of points about the dangers of what is, of course, merely an unlikely hypothetical. Turns out I'm actually a hysterical woman (and simultaneously a phallus, quite impressive, I'm sure you'll agree) who is having a meltdown. I'm probably on my period or something.
:lol: Touché.

Chabon

Chabon is making out that Manchester United would be nothing without Wayne Rooney. Christ, I've heard it all now. Then he has the audacity to call everyone else 'cretins'.
Interesting...can I state an absurd exaggeration of your arguments, and then casually dismiss them, or is that something reserved for really awesome people like you?

Siorac

Do you think Arsenal selling RVP to us, and United selling Rooney to Chelsea are the same thing? So in effect you believe we will be like Arsenal after they lost RVP. Seriously?
Or he might suggest that Rooney might have a similar impact on Chelsea that RvP had on us.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Interesting...can I state an absurd exaggeration of your arguments, and then casually dismiss them, or is that something reserved for really awesome people like you?
You said Manchester Uniteds position in the game would be seriously deteriorated if we sold Rooney. That's daft enough to begin with, let alone when you factor in that no other big team seems to be interested in the guy. You need to realise that he's just not as important as you believe.

wr8_utd

Oh it won't turn us into a shit club. But it would strengthen Chelsea hugely. They finished pretty far behind this season, for many reasons: they had new players discovering the PL, they had a mini meltdown during the first semester, Benitez has been favouring the cup competitions, I feel, to a certain extent... But next year, if they do have Mourinho back (or any other sensible manager, who are able of managing a squad during a whole season), and with a couple of inspired signings (i.e. a defender and a striker who can finish), they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

When Falcao was mentioned on these boards as a possible recruit for them, people were saying "they'll be immense, that's all they need". Surely recruiting Rooney, a proven PL striker who will have a huge return of goals for them when playing in his preferred position, would give them a huge boost. I'm not saying they'd be absolute favourites to win the league, and that our team would be shit compared to theirs, but Rooney in the n°9 position is one of the best players in Europe, and for me the best they could hope to sign.

I'm not in doom mongering mode or anything, it just seems like common sense to recognize that selling him to them would definitely hamper our title chances, regardless of all the other elements of context (the retirements, the new manager...).
You're in meltdown!

Chelsea are always formidable opponents - even when they play badly, they often get the win. If they don't get Rooney, they'll doubtless sign someone equally stellar. Besides, it isn't necessarily a sign of weakness if a club accepts a ridiculously-high offer for a player; and after all we're not only talking of Super Rooney, Saviour of United but also Waning Rooney, the player who shies away from 50/50 tackles & looks to lay-off short passes when he can't be arsed to run.

Note: not that I want him to join Chelsea, natch.
That really is nonsense.

Chabon is making out that Manchester United would be nothing without Wayne Rooney. Christ, I've heard it all now. Then he has the audacity to call everyone else 'cretins'.
He's hardly saying that. He just said that Chelsea would become far far stronger and that's true.

Yeh, it's exactly the same after all...
What happened when Arsenal sold us RVP?
It's not the same thing and no where am I comparing us to Arsenal but it's quite likely to have the same effect as selling RvP to us did. You just don't let a world class striker and someone who is quite likely to go on and score 30 goals next season to your rivals. It's as simple as that really.

Nowhere have Chabon and me said that we'll be a shit club without Rooney. It's just that Chelsea will be much much stronger than they are. And not wanting your title rivals to become far far stronger is hardly my idea of a "meltdown".

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Or he might suggest that Rooney might have a similar impact on Chelsea that RvP had on us.
I'm sure he would have a strong impact for them, no doubt, but unlike Arsenal I can't see us selling one of our best players to our immediate rivals and not replacing that lost quality. We are in a considerably better position to handle a top player leaving.

SteveJ

Scout
Do people actually think selling Rooney to Chelsea would be a sensible decision?
Nope, not at all. Instead, I'm unconvinced that Rooney still has a burning passion for the game, so for me it doesn't necessarily follow that he'd become Chelsea's killer app.

Chabon

You said Manchester Uniteds position in the game would be seriously deteriorated if we sold Rooney.
We will have sold the fourth highest goalscorer in the history of this football club to Roman Abramovich. It was bad enough being forced to sell Ronaldo to Madrid, but at least that was Madrid. To sell a great player we don't want to leave to one of the oligarchs will be a major blow to the club's image. Although again, for the nth time, I think it is incredibly unlikely because the club is run by competent people, and my arguments are more with those fans who think it would be no big deal.

MDFC Manager

Rooney moving to a city like London under a manager who isnt as caring/protective as Ferguson could actually prove to be his undoing. I'd say there is a higher chance that he regresses sharply than improving if he moves to London.

wr8_utd

I'm sure Chelsea would be nobodys ideal destination for him.
And yet everyone seems absolutely fine with the idea of selling him to Chelsea for 40m? And what does 40m get you in today's transfer market? The likes of Bale, Cavani and Falcao will all go for 45m at the minimum and what's the guarantee that we'd even reinvest the money we make from the Rooney sale? Replacing a player like Rooney would cost a lot more than just 40m because of the number of roles he plays for us.

Siorac

I'm sure he would have a strong impact for them, no doubt, but unlike Arsenal I can't see us selling one of our best players to our immediate rivals and not replacing that lost quality. We are in a considerably better position to handle a top player leaving.
I agree with that but I still think it'd be folly to strengthen a direct rival so significantly. Yes, Steve is right, they will probably sign someone of similar quality but let them do that, we don't have to help them.

finneh

To be honest Chelsea would be a far more frightening proposition with a consistent goalscoring out and out striker, rather than Rooney in my opinion.

SteveJ

Scout
And yet everyone seems absolutely fine with the idea of selling him to Chelsea for 40m?
That isn't true - for example, the kind of fee I'd be looking for would be a hilarious one, not merely 40mil.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
To be honest Chelsea would be a far more frightening proposition with a consistent goalscoring out and out striker, rather than Rooney in my opinion.

I'd say Rooney's record when playing up top is quite brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.