Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

manutddjw

To me money should be the least of our concerns in this matter. They can offer us 50 million, but really what is that 50 million going to do for us? It won't make players we actually need like Fabregas, Gundogan or Wilshere want to leave and if we are to believe what the club says is true, money to spend on players isn't an issue for us. All we would do is strenghten a rival and let clubs like Everton bend us over when we do look at their players because they would know we just acquired a substantial amount of money and could afford it. Unless we can take players away from Chelsea that would strengthen us as well (Mata and Ramires would do for me), then we shouldn't even consider it no matter how much they offer and how badly Rooney may want to leave.

Awhile ago, a popular phrase was "we should be more like Dortmund" and now I agree. We should look at how they handled a similar situation to what we have now, with their Lewandowski situation and do the same. They are going to let a player leave for free, rather than allowing him to go and strenghten their title rivals this season and who knows if Bayern will even be interested next season.

December_16

To me money should be the least of our concerns in this matter. They can offer us 50 million, but really what is that 50 million going to do for us? It won't make players we actually need like Fabregas, Gundogan or Wilshere want to leave and if we are to believe what the club says is true, money to spend on players isn't an issue for us. All we would do is strenghten a rival and let clubs like Everton bend us over when we do look at their players because they would know we just acquired a substantial amount of money and could afford it. Unless we can take players away from Chelsea that would strengthen us as well (Mata and Ramires would do for me), then we shouldn't even consider it no matter how much they offer and how badly Rooney may want to leave.
Or will it? What if by selling Rooney, we'll be able to offer them an obscene amount of wage, making them the bestest of the best paid player in the league for instance? What if we throw another 20 mil at our offer to one of their respective clubs because we have an additional 50 mil now? Money really does talk in many cases.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The under rating of Rooney continues....we'd swap him for any one of the 3 Chelsea attacking mids now!

I'm probably one of the few on here who'd prefer to keep him over any of those 3.

Ash_G

The under rating of Rooney continues....we'd swap him for any one of the 3 Chelsea attacking mids now!

I'm probably one of the few on here who'd prefer to keep him over any of those 3.

It's more a recognition that someone like Oscar is a very exciting young player, Rooney is better than him right now, but we all know Rooney's form can be temperamental, Oscar could well be a top player very soon and stay there for a long time. I'd be happy to take that chance.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

At some point in the next 2-3 seasons Hazard will quite comfortably be better than Rooney. I wouldn't be surprised if it was this season. I'm not as convinced by Oscar just yet but he's certainly talented enough. Mata is better than Rooney now depending on who you ask and what style they prefer.

togg

there is no bloody underating, I think most people feel that an on form Rooney is class...I'm just so bloody bored of him now. How can any united fan want a player to play for the team if they don't want to be here, regardless of their ability. Everything Fergie instilled in team spirit is being destroyed by his alledged attitude. Ferguson sold any player who didn't adhere to the team spirit of United....and he still bloody won titles regardless of the supposed heroes he had. I agree with this way of management. Be a part of a team, if you are shite for a while you won't play.....if you think you are guarranteed a position...well...you're not. Be a part of this great club whether you play or don't...because it's United who are important and the results...not you...

Chimera

there is no bloody underating, I think most people feel that an on form Rooney is class...I'm just so bloody bored of him now. How can any united fan want a player to play for the team if they don't want to be here, regardless of their ability. Everything Fergie instilled in team spirit is being destroyed by his alledged attitude. Ferguson sold any player who didn't adhere to the team spirit of United....and he still bloody won titles regardless of the supposed heroes he had. I agree with this way of management. Be a part of a team, if you are shite for a while you won't play.....if you think you are guarranteed a position...well...you're not. Be a part of this great club whether you play or don't...because it's United who are important and the results...not you...
He didn't sell to league rivals though

binary bot

More to it than one player being better than the other. Sometimes it's better to have a player with less ability who's happy.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Would rather have Rooney over anyone in the chelsea side.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would rather have Rooney over anyone in the chelsea side.
agree, but I guess the key part is "in committed mood"

Would be as shocked as at any transfer in recent times if he goes to Chelsea, despite all the hype.

Care_de_Bobo

Same. Not only do I think he's a better player, but he would also improve Chelsea more than any one of them would improve us.

I think a lot of fans seriously underestimate, and haven't always appreciated, the impact Rooney can have on a title race, and his consistency over the past decade. He's come up with so many performances over the years to drag us over the line or help us out of tight spots. Even last season, despite being overshadowed by Van Persie, he came up with some big goals and assists.

I'd make us slight favourites for the title as things stand, but Rooney to Chelsea, regardless of who we bring in, could potentially change everything imo.

ALX8725

reyalP maeT htuoY
Take Me Home, United Road. To The Place I Belong,
who cares how good we "might be" if Rooney stays, he doesn't want to be here. let him go.

can you honestly expect great performances from him for the entire year as he doesn't want to be here? What happens when this season is over? What happens the next time something doesn't go his way and he decides to hold the club hostage again? What happens if he doesn't sign a contract extension and walks away on a free then joins Chelsea?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
who cares how good we "might be" if Rooney stays, he doesn't want to be here. let him go.

can you honestly expect great performances from him for the entire year as he doesn't want to be here? What happens when this season is over? What happens the next time something doesn't go his way and he decides to hold the club hostage again? What happens if he doesn't sign a contract extension and walks away on a free then joins Chelsea?
Strange you didn't apply the same principles and logic to Ronaldo when he wanted to leave.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mata + cash for Rooney would be a great deal from our point of view. Even a straight swap would probably suit everybody, I think.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Just to clarify something, is Wayne Rooney wanting to keep his options open in the hope of a move for whatever reason if the club chooses (mainly the club wanting to actively sell him leading to his disillusionment) the same as straight up wanting to leave?

As in:

WR "I want to leave the club." MUFC "We are not going to sell you."
is worse than
WR "Hang on, I never told Fergie I wanted to leave, I don't understand where I am at now if the club wants to sell me then I guess I have to be ready to be open to move and not say anything" MUFC "We actually want you to stay and aren't going to sell you even if you aren't committed 100%."

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
A Mirror journalist just said on Talksport that Woodward sent a letter to Abramovich telling him the club are not selling Rooney and to not make another bid. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Leg-End

A letter? No wonder our bidding is so drawn out, preparing a bid literally means buying an envelope and stamps.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
A Mirror journalist just said on Talksport that Woodward sent a letter to Abramovich telling him the club are not selling Rooney and to not make another bid. Take that for whatever it's worth.
Which is strange considering they have just reported that we 'WILL be letting Rooney leave to Chelsea'.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mata + cash for Rooney would be a great deal from our point of view. Even a straight swap would probably suit everybody, I think.
I'd probably take a strait swap taking everything into consideration. They need Rooney more then we need mata, but mata isn't looking for a transfer unlike Rooney. Also mata had a tremendous season, and is 4 years or so younger.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd probably take a strait swap taking everything into consideration. They need Rooney more then we need mata, but mata isn't looking for a transfer unlike Rooney. Also mata had a tremendous season, and is 4 years or so younger.

2 Years, but yeah, i'd take Mata for Rooney. We'd need some cash as well mind you.

rooneyaldo

previously Cardiff, Wales. Now Montreal, Canada
Absolutely no we should sell to Chelsea for money only. We dont need money. We need to make sure we stay ahead of our main competitors and not strengthen them. Even for Mata, I wouldn't sell to them. Rooney at Chelsea will make the Chelsea team complete and we dont want that. We simply should convince him to stay or only sell to a foreign club.

MJJ

Why in god's name would we need Lukaku? We've got forwards coming out of our ears.
Because he is going to be a top class forward and we have no one like him in our squad right now.

His age profile fits perfectly as well. With him in the squad we will have RVP(30),Hernandez(25),Welbeck(22) and Lukaku(20). Thats two senior strikers and two juniors with the juniors replacing the seniors in a few seasons time.

In our youth squad we have henriquez,keane and wilson but all three are nothing like lukaku so we can easily fit him into the squad and wont need to sign another striker if we sell rooney.

Brightonian

Because he is going to be a top class forward and we have no one like him in our squad right now.

His age profile fits perfectly as well. With him in the squad we will have RVP(30),Hernandez(25),Welbeck(22) and Lukaku(20). Thats two senior strikers and two juniors with the juniors replacing the seniors in a few seasons time.

In our youth squad we have henriquez,keane and wilson but all three are nothing like lukaku so we can easily fit him into the squad and wont need to sign another striker if we sell rooney.
This is only true in the sense that Bayern 'needed' another midfielder. For the #9 and #10 positions we have RVP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, Kagawa. Then, as you say, we have young forwards to bring through in Henriquez, Keane and Wilson. Adding another striker would just be silly, especially since we only ever play one proper forward, so he'd be behind two of the best strikers in the league in RVP and Hernandez.

MJJ

This is only true in the sense that Bayern 'needed' another midfielder. For the #9 and #10 positions we have RVP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, Kagawa. Then, as you say, we have young forwards to bring through in Henriquez, Keane and Wilson. Adding another striker would just be silly, especially since we only ever play one proper forward, so he'd be behind two of the best strikers in the league in RVP and Hernandez.
Well subtract rooney from that scenario for one, that leaves us with four senior players for two positions which I dont think is really ideal as one of them can get injured. Both kagawa and welbeck can play off the wings as well so will get their games anyway as they develop further. So if we are playing with two strikers, with kagawa as a LW we only have three seniors for two positions. Guaranteed we dont really know whether moyes will use two or one upfront.

He might be behind two of the best strikers but RVP age works in his favour. In a couple of seasons he can easily be our first choice striker with RVP playing less while hernandez remaining a supersub.And again he is completely different to any striker in our club and wilson,henriquez can again play off the wings incase we need to give them games. Both need another couple of seasons at the top level before they are ready to challenge for the first team anyway while it depends how keane comes back from his injury.

So I can see us fitting him and giving him the same game time as chelsea(provided they sign rooney), would be a great option off the bench as well.

Edit-And if you are going to sell one of the best forwards in the world to your PL rivals you might as well fleece them for all its worth.

Brightonian

Well subtract rooney from that scenario for one, that leaves us with four senior players for two positions which I dont think is really ideal as one of them can get injured. Both kagawa and welbeck can play off the wings as well so will get their games anyway as they develop further. So if we are playing with two strikers, with kagawa as a LW we only have three seniors for two positions. Guaranteed we dont really know whether moyes will use two or one upfront.

He might be behind two of the best strikers but RVP age works in his favour. In a couple of seasons he can easily be our first choice striker with RVP playing less while hernandez remaining a supersub.And again he is completely different to any striker in our club and wilson,henriquez can again play off the wings incase we need to give them games. Both need another couple of seasons at the top level before they are ready to challenge for the first team anyway while it depends how keane comes back from his injury.

So I can see us fitting him and giving him the same game time as chelsea(provided they sign rooney), would be a great option off the bench as well.
Oh yeah, I forgot that he's definitely going, with 9 days left of the transfer window and the only official noises all season being Moyes' repeated denials that he is in any way for sale. Discount him.

The point is this: in no way would Lukaku make us a better team. You've stretched every single aspect of the situation to the very limit - Rooney leaving, RVP and Hernandez and Welbeck injured, our own youngsters given no game time at all except out of position, Kagawa only played on the wing - and still you can only see him getting games here and there and being 'a great option off the bench'. I could make a case that feeble for any player.

On the other hand, at Chelsea Lukaku is already clear second choice up front, and also seems to be getting game time on the 'wing' for them. Given Torres' Chelsea form, Lukaku could easily become first choice. So not only do United not need him, but Lukaku would be an idiot to give up such a great opportunity there, at a club who suit his style so perfectly, to come and be maybe-fifth-choice-if-Rooney-leaves at United.

:houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.