Wayne Rooney Appreciation Thread

TheReligion

Abusive
Absolutely wonderful player.

Perfect for Ten Hag now actually and ideal for this team.

Fight, aggression, passion, technique, strength.

Superb passing ability and a brilliant finisher. Really did have it all.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Absolutely wonderful player.

Perfect for Ten Hag now actually and ideal for this team.

Fight, aggression, passion, technique, strength.

Superb passing ability and a brilliant finisher. Really did have it all.
Ideal for any team really. He had great chemistry with most of the attackers he played with.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
United Legend, he lost his way a bit at one point, but top scorer, served the club until his legs couldnt take him any further in top flight.

Kostov

People finally seeing what a bellend Ronaldo is might actually start to appreciate Rooney more. Always has been the better servant and an actual legend of this club.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I wonder how we’d all feel if he had signed for Chelsea in 2013? We could look back knowing we certainly got the best of him, without having experienced the worst of the drawn-out decline.

Mike Smalling

Rooney has grown a lot on me since he retired, and he clearly has a lot more between the ears than I had originally thought. Of all our high-profile players, I never anticipated him to go into management, and he has done well in a difficult situation with Derby. He is a flawed character for sure, but a terrific and very unique player. Just a shame he wasn't a bit more professional, because it feels like he could have been even better for us, which is crazy considering his goal tally and trophy haul.

MUFC OK

I wonder how we’d all feel if he had signed for Chelsea in 2013? We could look back knowing we certainly got the best of him, without having experienced the worst of the drawn-out decline.
He wanted out due to *checks notes*.. lack of ambition and dismay at how the club was being run.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He wanted out due to *checks notes*.. lack of ambition and dismay at how the club was being run.
Wasn’t that the 2010 saga? In 2013 I thought it was more the case that he was pissed at being dropped and forced to play second-fiddle to RVP.

In any case I’m not having a go at him over it, just wondering how our perspective of him might be different.

BorisManUtd

I like Rooney and he always played for the club with passion but didn't he too want our back in 2010 (to City) and 2013 (to Chelsea)?

MUFC OK

Wasn’t that the 2010 saga? In 2013 I thought it was more the case that he was pissed at being dropped and forced to play second-fiddle to RVP.

In any case I’m not having a go at him over it, just wondering how our perspective of him might be different.
You might be right to be fair. He definitely tried to join City in 2010 and so whilst he's a legend, the sugar coating of Rooney's time doesn't sit perfectly well with me.

RedRoach

True Manchester United legend and one of my favourite United players of all time. Always played with heart and passion and yes he had some run ins with management but I truly believe he always had the club's best interests at heart.

nakpodiareuben

A true legend. I remembered Fabio capello ( i think) telling the italian national team to be more like wazza. He was a selfless player, made Ronaldo look very good. The only player that can play all position and still look really good in those position. he is only behind scholes in my all time greatest united players.

AaronRedDevil

Think we should all vote for Rooney for the sexiest man alive next time. Ronaldo is just jealous of his beard.

Malone_Post

Ronaldo being a prick doesn’t change the fact that Rooney very publicly tried to leave the club twice. The hurt in Fergie eyes that first time when he handed in the transfer request will never be forgotten. He looked visibly hurt. That will always taint his legacy for me.

A United legend of course. He’s our greatest ever goal scorer. But he’ll always have a black mark against his name.

Foxbatt

Once he tried to get away. Rooney had a dick of an agent. But he always have everything on the pitch and didn't go public with his issues with United.
I know he has scored some memorable goals for us including the overhead against City but for me one of the best was what he created in the FA Cup Final for Our first goal. He picked it up almost on the halfway line and create the cross in the CP box.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Great player. An all rounded player with everything to his game. I so miss watching him play for us. Even in his older years when he dropped into midfield quite a lot he still came up with banging goals.

Hughie77

I think even with his transfer request, which he later regretted, he's UTD and England top goal scorer and I was talking to a guy who didn't know that, Who's a football fan so maybe he's not appreciated enough, neither was Beckham and he's a UTD legend as well.

Lyng

I like Rooney and he always played for the club with passion but didn't he too want our back in 2010 (to City) and 2013 (to Chelsea)?
Yeah he did. This whole rewriting of history just because he said what we wanted to hear about Ronaldo is weird as feck.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ronaldo being a prick doesn’t change the fact that Rooney very publicly tried to leave the club twice. The hurt in Fergie eyes that first time when he handed in the transfer request will never be forgotten. He looked visibly hurt. That will always taint his legacy for me.

A United legend of course. He’s our greatest ever goal scorer. But he’ll always have a black mark against his name.
If I remember right, he wanted to leave because we couldn't cope in the transfer market and we were falling behind in terms of talent and trophies. Fergie knew best anyway and Rooney understood that.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If I remember right, he wanted to leave because we couldn't cope in the transfer market and we were falling behind in terms of talent and trophies. Fergie knew best anyway and Rooney understood that.
Look at the next ten years of those clubs compared to us and you can see a winner like Rooney looking longingly at a professional setup.

Like others have said, an absolute legend. Half way line goals, overhead kicks, incredible energy and every shot and pass in the book. Should get a statue.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
More of a Utd legend than Ronaldo will ever be.

Scottynaldinho

People forget how poor he was in his last 3 seasons here. He held the team back during that period.

As for the young Rooney, he never fulfilled his true potential because he was never the main man in his prime but boy what a career he still had.

tomaldinho1

Wanted to to leave to sign for City.

Loved him as a player but always find that a bitter pill.
He just wanted the club to show more ambition. Don’t think he was ever close, think he’d have gone play for Mou at Chelsea anyway given that was when he was in his pomp.

That combined with staying too long did somewhat ruin his legacy. He was the best player I have seen late teens/early 20’s he could genuinely do everything but you could tell how little he looked after his body compared to others.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’m no Rooney fan boy - but I’ve never had a problem with him the way others did/do over his contract issues/threat to quit. It was well handled at the time by Sir Alex and Gill and everybody moved on. Rooney is absolutely a club legend, our all time top scorer and a great servant of the club. Would love to see him back as manager one day if he proves himself.