Wayne Rooney Appreciation Thread

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
O'Shea and Brown never were integral part of United team, they were rotational players, it's but rich to compare them with Rooney.

Who cares if he did all that when up to the point of his decline he already had everyhing accomplished? Who should he prove anything else? GifLord and Black Adder or whoever from internet?

He lived his life the way he wanted and got everything he wanted, what's there more to ask for?
He was getting 300k per week from 2014-2017 and was putting on performances Ali Dia would be proud of.
When Rooney got criticized by the media for his poor form he even tried to downplay it by doing the same thing you just did - talking about things he's accomplished in the past.
Remember that infamous guest appearance on the Paddy Crerand Show?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Phenomenal player. Annoying me how much his negatives get emphasised.

To be fair, I used to do it too but with time I realise how special a footballer he was.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Well he doesn't have to prove us anything, but he could have definitely been better player with his talent. For all his quality, he only had two, possible three world class seasons at best, which is criminal for such a player. I am sure he himself will regret it.
How many has Benzema had? He’s an all time great too. Some players are so complete and join top clubs hence have to sacrifice a lot for the collective. Rooney did and was one of the if not the most significant player in a run where we won the best league in the world 5 times in 7 years and won 1/3 CL finals to be halted by the best club team ever. If only G/A is the metric to judge players by then sure - enjoy the Harry Kane’s of this world who rack them up but don’t actually do significant things. But Rooney was top for absolute ages - if we’re actually judging him as a footballer.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He was getting 300k per week from 2014-2017 and was putting on performances Ali Dia would be proud of.
When Rooney got criticized by the media for his poor form he even tried to downplay it by doing the same thing you just did - talking about things he's accomplished in the past.
Remember that infamous guest appearance on the Paddy Crerand Show?
As I've said in previous post, this isn't thread about him not fullfiling his potential but appreciating what he managed to accomplish. Make another thread and called it Wayne Rooney bashing thread, I'm sure there'll be enough people to join you.

amolbhatia50k

As I've said in previous post, this isn't thread about him not fullfiling his potential but appreciating what he managed to accomplish. Make another thread and called it Wayne Rooney bashing thread, I'm sure there'll be enough people to join you.
It’s funny. Rooney is probably one of the most underrated players in recent times. The last few years here has really tarnished people’s view of someone who was absolutely incredible.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s funny. Rooney is probably one of the most underrated players in recent times. The last few years here has really tarnished people’s view of someone who was absolutely incredible.
Anyone who thinks that the last couple of years is what should be remembered about Rooney needs their head examined

GifLord

It's got nothing to do with his potential - it's about his performances. His last 5 years here were embarrassing and most of the fans were pretending there was nothing wrong with him.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Roooney.

The embodiment of that United team in that era.
Never say die.
Working as hard as possible.
Immense talent and quality.
Genuine superstar.
Winning mentality at the highest level.

His game against Milan at home in 2007, the semi final, that third goal is what I truly believe should be our benchmark on the kind of a striker United should have.. A goal of the highest quality against a prime opponents in the highest football matches.

Immensely talented fella, and he delivered most importantly.

How we have fallen of the cliff, in the strikers we have should be a testament of how brilliant Rooney was.

Is place in United history is well and truly secured.

ScholesyTheWise

It's got nothing to do with his potential - it's about his performances. His last 5 years here were embarrassing and most of the fans were pretending there was nothing wrong with him.
Yes, I wholly agree- a lot of our fans at the time and also nowadays seriously downplay his decline in the last years.

Was never his fault if you ask me- We gave him a stupid contract, and managers kept fielding him in the starting 11 regardless of how he played...
And with the number of games he had under his belt since he was 16, it was hardly unexpected.

But it's not what I remember of him. He was truly magnificent and I think that only now do I appreciate how immense he was for us for the large majority of his career.

I'd kill for a clone of Rooney right now. Explosive, never moaned at being shunted to the wing to accommodate others, really cared... and could do pretty much everything you wanted from an attacker.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
How many has Benzema had? He’s an all time great too. Some players are so complete and join top clubs hence have to sacrifice a lot for the collective. Rooney did and was one of the if not the most significant player in a run where we won the best league in the world 5 times in 7 years and won 1/3 CL finals to be halted by the best club team ever. If only G/A is the metric to judge players by then sure - enjoy the Harry Kane’s of this world who rack them up but don’t actually do significant things. But Rooney was top for absolute ages - if we’re actually judging him as a footballer.
I don't neccesarily care about Benzema, and this is not thread on him but I am sure on club level he's had one or two more. Maybe I am wrong? His peak season was definitely higher than Rooney's though, and I am sure Rooney himself had the talent to match that, but unfortunately he didn't. Same as I am sure Benzema will regret he didn't do anything on international level if you want to compare their careers.

I am not sure why are you mentioning Kane, for example I am quite sure he will be remembered as better player for England than Rooney if you want my honest opinion. But Rooney will be remembered more by general crowd and maybe as bigger football legend because he played for Manchester United. I am not sure what exactly do you mean by "significant things" - trophies, or something else?

Again, ifs and buts and could've, should've. This is his appreciation thread, to appreciate what he HAS done not what he COULD'VE done. I'm sure he won't.
Yeah, fair enough, I didn't want this to turn into criticism thread.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
His decline had nothing to do with injuries. That’s the point. He had issues with alcohol, clearly didn’t eat well and didn’t have fitness discipline. It’s that simple.
As I said it’s not that simplistic. It’s a mix of injuries, not being the fittest, having a lot of miles on him and some poor luck as well.

His injuries 100% had an impact on him as he started to lose his explosiveness.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
5 years?? Only someone with an agenda against him would label his seasons from 2012 to 2015 as "embarrassing". He played second fiddle to RVP in 2012-13 but that doesn't make it embarrassing and he was easily out best player in the Moyes and LVG's first season. 49 goals and 34 assists over 3 seasons is hardly "embarrassing" by any standards.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As I said it’s not that simplistic. It’s a mix of injuries, not being the fittest, having a lot of miles on him and some poor luck as well.

His injuries 100% had an impact on him as he started to lose his explosiveness.
So you’re just ignoring the fact he drunk every night and didn’t look after himself? He didn’t need explosiveness, Scholes didn’t have explosiveness and he got on just fine. Rooney should have settled into that role and used his head more. Instead he was easily a stone over weight at times and played like he was hungover.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Rooney came through at 17, there were so many years he was the best player in the world. Not the most productive, but the most vital.

I'm sorry, but it just seems that too many of you only look at his final years.

People are disappointed that he wasn't a greater player than Pele, Maradonna or Best, surely that should be indicative of how good he was.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
So you’re just ignoring the fact he drunk every night and didn’t look after himself? He didn’t need explosiveness, Scholes didn’t have explosiveness and he got on just fine. Rooney should have settled into that role and used his head more. Instead he was easily a stone over weight at times and played like he was hungover.
Not ignoring it, it was a factor but so were his injuries and so was the mileage on him.

You can't just use your head more to become like Scholes that's a once in a generation player. In fact, Scholes is a good example of someone who also didn't really care for training and actually had a drinking problem but he was blessed with some of the greatest technical ability we've ever seen.

Rooney definitely needed his explosiveness. Maybe if he had stayed fitter and had a different personality he would have extended his career in a midfield role but again it's not that simple. All factors contributed to make Rooney who Rooney was. Part of what made him so special was he was like a kid who just loved playing the game no matter the position, the ask or the situation.

lex talionis

The boy was galactic in his first 4-5 years as a professional, but got bogged down later with injuries and then disillusionment. And then at the end all was left for him was the ATM.

A shame about how those two international tournaments went for him -- he coulda bagged both a Euro and a WC. Sir Wayne Rooney has a nice ring to it.

GifLord

5 years?? Only someone with an agenda against him would label his seasons from 2012 to 2015 as "embarrassing". He played second fiddle to RVP in 2012-13 but that doesn't make it embarrassing and he was easily out best player in the Moyes and LVG's first season. 49 goals and 34 assists over 3 seasons is hardly "embarrassing" by any standards.
His decline already started in Fergie's last season. He also used Rooney sporadically not to mention Rooney himself wanted out at the end of the season and if Fergie didn't retire he'd be gone.
His contract was the begining of a shitshow where we overpaid/gave massive wages to average players who never deserved it in the first place.
Like I said I enjoyed 00s Rooney but 2010s Rooney I don't even wanna hear about.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His decline already started in Fergie's last season. He also used Rooney sporadically not to mention Rooney himself wanted out at the end of the season and if Fergie didn't retire he'd be gone.
His contract was the begining of a shitshow where we overpaid/gave massive wages to average players who never deserved it in the first place.
Like I said I enjoyed 00s Rooney but 2010s Rooney I don't even wanna hear about.
None of that makes the 3 seasons in question embarrassing. You could perhaps make the case for his last 2 seasons being embarrassing for a player of his quality but that's about it.

A top player declining into a merely good player doesn't make it embarrassing.

clarkydaz

You can't just use your head more to become like Scholes that's a once in a generation player. In fact, Scholes is a good example of someone who also didn't really care for training and actually had a drinking problem but he was blessed with some of the greatest technical ability we've ever seen.

Rooney definitely needed his explosiveness. Maybe if he had stayed fitter and had a different personality he would have extended his career in a midfield role but again it's not that simple. All factors contributed to make Rooney who Rooney was. Part of what made him so special was he was like a kid who just loved playing the game no matter the position, the ask or the situation.
Yeah his early agression and explosiveness allowed him to maul defenders after a bad first touch. Even Fergie said you couldnt give him instruction, he was just pure instinct to hunt the ball

next_number_seven

The boy was galactic in his first 4-5 years as a professional, but got bogged down later with injuries and then disillusionment. And then at the end all was left for him was the ATM.

A shame about how those two international tournaments went for him -- he coulda bagged both a Euro and a WC. Sir Wayne Rooney has a nice ring to it.
He had few injuries really. Ankle injury before a tournament and a metatarsal. Very few really

next_number_seven

Not ignoring it, it was a factor but so were his injuries and so was the mileage on him.

Did Scholes have a drinking problem?

Edwards6

He did drop off quick in the last couple of years but remember he was starting from when he was 16, he was a great player for about 12 years. Came to United when he was only 18 and was instantly one of our best players he's definitely underrated by many

next_number_seven

He did drop off quick in the last couple of years but remember he was starting from when he was 16, he was a great player for about 12 years. Came to United when he was only 18 and was instantly one of our best players he's definitely underrated by many
He was brilliant for about 10 years. Very complete player from the beginning.
I think he just looks worse in comparison to Messi and Ronaldo. Also he didn't perform for England after 2004.

His bad behavior off the pitch didn't help endear him to people either. Also people looked down on him for class reasons.

It's funny when you see him interviewed now he comes across as very articulate and well rounded individual. He's grown a lot off the pitch also.

He's building his coaching experience in an interesting way. The way I think is best, building experience a bit off the radar before jumping for the first big job

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He was brilliant for about 10 years. Very complete player from the beginning.
I think he just looks worse in comparison to Messi and Ronaldo. Also he didn't perform for England after 2004.

His bad behavior off the pitch didn't help endear him to people either. Also people looked down on him for class reasons.

It's funny when you see him interviewed now he comes across as very articulate and well rounded individual. He's grown a lot off the pitch also.

He's building his coaching experience in an interesting way. The way I think is best, building experience a bit off the radar before jumping for the first big job
It was always silly to compare him to them.

Rooney was a supreme talent and unselfish, almost to a fault. He played everywhere except the backline over his United career and still scored 250+ goals. Imagine the numbers he would've racked up if he was more stubborn and demanded to stay up front.

He was also a workhorse so was always going to burn out faster than Messi and Ronaldo who are allowed to down tools when the other team has the ball.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

None of that makes the 3 seasons in question embarrassing. You could perhaps make the case for his last 2 seasons being embarrassing for a player of his quality but that's about it.

A top player declining into a merely good player doesn't make it embarrassing.
Couldn't agree more. During the Van Gaal era there were a lot of United players who could legitimately be called embarrassing, but Rooney wasn't one them.

Besides, he still had some important moments for us during that period. We would've lost the FA Cup final vs Palace in 2016 had it not been for Rooney's driving run to create a goal out of nothing for Mata's equaliser.

The team around Rooney deteriorated during his last few years with us. If he had better players around him, then we'd be talking about his 2014-17 years in the same way people talk about Bryan Robson's last couple of seasons with us, where he bowed out gracefully with a couple of league titles, despite being past his best and no longer the talisman of the team.

GifLord

Couldn't agree more. During the Van Gaal era there were a lot of United players who could legitimately be called embarrassing, but Rooney wasn't one them.

Besides, he still had some important moments for us during that period. We would've lost the FA Cup final vs Palace in 2016 had it not been for Rooney's driving run to create a goal out of nothing for Mata's equaliser.

The team around Rooney deteriorated during his last few years with us. If he had better players around him, then we'd be talking about his 2014-17 years in the same way people talk about Bryan Robson's last couple of seasons with us, where he bowed out gracefully with a couple of league titles, despite being past his best and no longer the talisman of the team.
Yes he was :lol:
Why do you think he tried to shoehorn Rooney into a CM?
Because he couldn't do shit as a striker.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Yes he was :lol:
Why do you think he tried to shoehorn Rooney into a CM?
Because he couldn't do shit as a striker.
Why do you think he tried playing Di Maria as our CF? Because Di Maria couldn't do shit from deep? Or could it be that it was because he made tactical errors as our manager which ultimately led to him getting sacked.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He played him as an AM
Here's Van Gaal's quotes after playing Di Maria as a CF vs QPR:

"I think pace is always important, which is why we try to play with Angel Di Maria as a striker," he told MUTV following the win at Loftus Road.

I'm not sure if you're trying to troll by saying Rooney was embarrassing during his last few years at United, but at least try getting your facts right about the team's positional setup during that period, otherwise you undermine the credibility of your argument.

GifLord

Here's Van Gaal's quotes after playing Di Maria as a CF vs QPR:

"I think pace is always important, which is why we try to play with Angel Di Maria as a striker," he told MUTV following the win at Loftus Road.

I'm not sure if you're trying to troll by saying Rooney was embarrassing during his last few years at United, but at least try getting your facts right about the team's positional setup during that period, otherwise you undermine the credibility of your argument.
You still have player threads from that time. Go back and look at what some of the opinions were about Rooney.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

You still have player threads from that time. Go back and look at what some of the opinions were about Rooney.
That's one way of deflecting from the fact that you were wrong about Van Gaal's team selection. Your argument has shifted from "any player who is shoehorned into a position is embarrassing" to "well, other people in 2015 expressed a similar opinion to me".

GifLord

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think the decline was pretty evident in LvG's first season. Near the end of that season was the "silent domination" game, everybody here was laughing at the desperate spin on his poor performances. Agreed about the Moyes season - he did well there - best outfield(;)) player.