Wayne Rooney - Derby County player

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
His legs may have went but his brain is still levels above a certain someone. Legend.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He was never so bad considering the dross we are still playing and tolerating 3 years after he left. Players like Lingard and Pereira are being tolerated and it took 5 years for Lingard for example to get called on, you also see Fred getting praised for absolute average performances regularly nowadays. Because it was Rooney it was "so so bad".
Fred has been average the last few games as he’s been ever present. His best games for us this season were much much better than anything Rooney achieved by dropping back into midfield. That shanked ball out to the right wing over and over and over.... argh

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Rooney should have retired a red devil. Sure he's not as good as he used to be but he's still better than a few players in our team. Problem was the fans compared him to himself rather than the players around him. But he could still be a squad player and I would rather see him take the field than Lombard or Periera

Luke1995

Fan Logic: A club should dump players at the first sign of decline, but a player dare not question a club's priorities. The fact is that Rooney was absolutely right to do what he did. We had the likes of Obertan and Bebe playing for us. Fergie refused to buy midfielders for three seasons (the value years) and our general play was often rotten. Still lining up with Scholes and Giggs in midfield in 2010 ffs...and of course Rooney was proven right when the utter lack of long term planning took its toll the day Fergie left. The only player Fergie had a plan to replace was...Rooney.

Here's a player who played through injury so many times and who United and England rushed back to the player's long term detriment. Glad to see at least some fans haven't forgotten how special Rooney was.
Pretty much that. When there was a midfield injury crisis later on, Fergie had to talk Scholes out of retirement...

Rooney was great for about 8 or 9 seasons and should have left after the first Van Gaal year, but other than these 15-16 and 16-17 seasons, not much to complain.

Luke1995

i think at the end he - or his agent - admitted they were not seriously looking to leave but just looking for a big pay rise. It's just the timing was suspect so people ran with the 'questioning ambition' reasoning. I can't find the article that i remember reading which said similar. he ended up staying at least which was a damn sight better than seeing Ronaldo flirt every summer with Madrid and then say he is a slave.
Think Ronaldo always saw us as a means to get to Madrid. Rooney was delighted to sign here.

kidbob

In fairness didn't he make it clear from day one he will always be an Evertonian first and foremost?

We have a similar situation now with Mason Mount who still goes to Pompey games.
Ignore him mate. He's one of these twat fans who'll never appreciate a player unless they 'bleed their club'. Fact is Rooney gave everything and more to United in his career and for me is the best English player of the last 20 years. It'd be like some of your crowd dismissing Lampard because he was a West Ham kid. Literally just stupidity.

If Mount goes on to achieve half of what Rooney did fir us for you guys then he'll be a Chelsea legend and rightfully so. Just goes to show how stupid our fans are when they praise Ronaldo (slave) when in the same breath criticise Rooney. Hypocrites the lot of them especially considering most of them have gone over the top on Lingard who is one of our own and bleeds this club.

TheReligion

Abusive
"Hello Wayne! Thanks so much for joining us on what must have been a long and emotional day"

Wayne: "I wouldn't say that erm.. you know.. Manchester United are a good team, it's a good chance for our young players..."

I may be weak and petty af, but my heart is broken and will remain broken until a true red breaks his record. It was an arranged marriage with that guy, from beginning to end
Did you miss the interviews before the match saying he loves the club and still goes to the games.

Swear people see what they want to see :houllier:
I agree, it’d also be disrespectful to Derby to gush over us in an interview after they’ve lost 3-0 at home.
The connection between Rooney and United fans was never really there. Always forced. Manufactured.

You'd be deluded to think otherwise.
@GDaly95

You're having a mare here my friend.

Tel074

Agree: if Lingard and Pereira get games, Rooney would above them. The reason Lingard gets games primarily is supposed to be down to his movement off the ball and linking midfield with the attack, but his technical level has nosedive this season, which makes him a liability as he causes so many attacks to break down at his feet.

Rooney obviously doesn't have the legs of either and he can't run much, but he still has far better feet in every manner from control, to shooting to passing.

Your last sentence: you didn't see El Fenomeno in his teenage years?

Agree. What beard!

*masculine grunt!

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the Brazilian Ronaldo in the flesh until his Madrid days but yeah a complete freak of a talent. I meant Rooney is the best teenager I saw live

Le Red

Think Ronaldo always saw us as a means to get to Madrid. Rooney was delighted to sign here.
I don't see it like that.
Last year yeah, his head was in Madrid. But I think he loved the club when he was here.
Kinda like a girlfriend you loved that you didn't end up marrying. Just because you moved on it doesn't mean you felt nothing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Love him but people have forgotten he was dropping literal 0/10 perfornances on a regular basis. The fact that we have rubbish there now doesn't mean we should have kept him.

stevoc

Love him but people have forgotten he was dropping literal 0/10 perfornances on a regular basis. The fact that we have rubbish there now doesn't mean we should have kept him.
Rooney's nowhere near good enough for United and he wasn't 3 years ago which is why we let him go. But then the likes of Lingard are even worse now than Rooney was then, and thats all most people are saying. Given the choice even a 34 year old Rooney would be a better option right now than what Lingard and to a lesser extent Pereira have been serving up the last few years.

Luke1995

I don't see it like that.
Last year yeah, his head was in Madrid. But I think he loved the club when he was here.
Kinda like a girlfriend you loved that you didn't end up marrying. Just because you moved on it doesn't mean you felt nothing.
I meant his end goal wasn't here. For some reason, Rooney didn't ask to go to Madrid or Barça while in his prime.

JMack1234

He's a snail now.

Yet his passing ability and brain is still miles and miles better than anyone in that Derby side.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't think so. He saw Fergie as his second father after his passed away. He holds United in very high regard.

This is my favourite football clip ever. I’ve got so much adoration for Sir Alex and there is two aspects to this video I absolutely love.

Firstly, the amount of respect he receives from players that know him. Obviously the Nani and Ronaldo reactions are the peak of this and it’s like they forgot all about what they have just won when they see him and at that moment he’s all that matters to them. Then you have Pepe who was an absolute scrote of a competitor against us and never actually played for him yet he has the same star struck reaction as if he’s a footballing worshiper who has just bumped into the pope.

The second aspect I love is just how giddy Sir Alex is with absolute pride that his adopted son has just won his dream competition. The amount of love he has for Ronaldo despite the fact he left United at his peak. He just understands the human aspect and can look past his own interests and has so much admiration for Ronaldo the competitor.

The man is absolutely unique.

Flexdegea

The connection between Rooney and United fans was never really there. Always forced. Manufactured.

You'd be deluded to think otherwise.

Pretty sure the away support loved rooney never mind the home support.

I think you have manufactured the notion it's not there. He spent most his career at the club. You be deluded and nuts to think he has no connection to the club.

Plenty of evidence to say he still does.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ironic that Ruud did the same thing when he was a similar age and it was Rooney and Ronaldo he didn’t fancy waiting for.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ironic that Ruud did the same thing when he was a similar age and it was Rooney and Ronaldo he didn’t fancy waiting for.
Is this the reason why he left? Thought it was because his relationship with Queiroz broke down and Fergie chose?

I don't blame Rooney for thinking like that. Will say it till my dying day. That summer marked the start of our decline. And imo, we are still suffering the effects today.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
"Hello Wayne! Thanks so much for joining us on what must have been a long and emotional day"

Wayne: "I wouldn't say that erm.. you know.. Manchester United are a good team, it's a good chance for our young players..."

I may be weak and petty af, but my heart is broken and will remain broken until a true red breaks his record. It was an arranged marriage with that guy, from beginning to end
Jesus, what a pathetic specimen of a post.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is talking too much again by the looks of it, I liked him more when he wasn't mentioning United too much. Throwing Nani under the bus again to make himself look like a big guy in the eyes of English media.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Jesus, what a pathetic specimen of a post.
Yeah. A number of drinks had been had, I was ignorant to the fact that he applauded the fans and heaped massive praise on us after the game. I personally have what I feel are legitimate reasons to question how far up Rooney should be on the 'legendary' pyramid at United but it's a shite and cringeworthy post, I'll own it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This is my favourite football clip ever. I’ve got so much adoration for Sir Alex and there is two aspects to this video I absolutely love.

Firstly, the amount of respect he receives from players that know him. Obviously the Nani and Ronaldo reactions are the peak of this and it’s like they forgot all about what they have just won when they see him and at that moment he’s all that matters to them. Then you have Pepe who was an absolute scrote of a competitor against us and never actually played for him yet he has the same star struck reaction as if he’s a footballing worshiper who has just bumped into the pope.

The second aspect I love is just how giddy Sir Alex is with absolute pride that his adopted son has just won his dream competition. The amount of love he has for Ronaldo despite the fact he left United at his peak. He just understands the human aspect and can look past his own interests and has so much admiration for Ronaldo the competitor.

The man is absolutely unique.
First time I’ve seen it and my heart just filled with pride. Like you say, such respect for SAF. Ronaldo’s face just lights up when he sees him.
Fergie hanging around like he’s a father waiting to see his son

DoomSlayer

I think Bruno is the first natural successor to Rooney we've had until now. We've lacked a catalyst and a player that instills fear in the opposition, Rooney was dangerous from anywhere in and outside the box, incredible baller before his decline. :drool:

RedTiger

Half mast
It's funny how absence makes the heart grow fonder. I was one of his biggest critics since 2012 and was proper pissed that Moyes gave him a new contract, but now I wouldn't mind him back as a 3rd or 4th choice forward/10.
:lol:

Paul_Scholes18

What. A. Goal. Class is permanent.
I expected something more magical than a good freekick.
Like the City goal or Newcastle volley.
Very good freekick though he didn't score that many for us, but we had other players to take them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Very good free kick.... although not sure why 5Live called it a penalty from 22 yards!