Wayne Rooney | Having medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's incredible how SAF knew when a player's time is up.

He 100% would have binned Rooney if he didn't retire in 2013.

Actually think the MLS would be Rooney's best move. I think he's fallen that far, that he won't contribute much in the Prem anymore.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
A move is best for Rooney and United and, transfer request shite aside, he will go down as a legend for me
I know he's not been at his best for a while, but how ridiculous is it that someone should feel the need to state that? He's been a mainstay and one of the most important parts of our team for more than a decade, in what was arguably our best period ever, becoming the club's all time top goalscorer in the process. Of course he's a fecking legend!

A couple of years after he's gone, when the memory of the controversies aren't so fresh in mind, he'll hopefully get the recognition he deserves.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
David McDonnell had the same report a few weeks ago. With the fixture list, it would be a surprise if we let him go.

Devil81

Wouldn't surprise me either, if there is a fee involved we will let him walk away.

Adisa

Selling him now is too risky. He's shite now but at least, he's a body.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It would be a nice last gesture from Rooney to us to fetch about £30m in a Chinese transfer.

C'est Moi Cantona

Selling him now is too risky. He's shite now but at least, he's a body.
If £40-£50 million is on the table for a "shite body" you sell, and promote one of the kids to make up the numbers.

But imo it won't happen, as he just won't go to China, so he'll end up been a hard sell in the summer.

Adisa

The rumours that the club would be willing to consider an offer from China looks to be coming from the club. Maybe a subtle way of telling him to feck off. Both Ducker and McDonnell's articles say Rooney has to be convinced to leave.
On another not, Ducker saying Mourinho has been cryptic about his fitness. What is wrong with him? I keep seeing him in the training pictures but keep hearing he is ill.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's not going to uproot his family to go to China for a few extra quid. The article doesn't even get his contract length right.

Adisa

He's not going to uproot his family to go to China for a few extra quid. The article doesn't even get his contract length right.
It did.He signed a four year contract with the option of a fifth. The club hold the option.

Utd7

I really can't imagine Rooney going to China. His lifestyle would be better suited for MLS (LA Galaxy). I bet he either goes there or Everton in the summer. When he played in the Ferguson testimonial at Goodison, it looked like a trial run to see if the fans would embrace him wearing blue again. Plus Koeman alluded to being interested in Rooney a few months ago.

Devil may care

People need to remember that Rooney wont be trapped in China, I'm pretty sure their league is shorter than ours so he'll only be out there part of the year so the family will likely remain at home.

johanovic

No that would be a first, a footballer chasing money. Of course he will leave if the China clubs are offering him the same silly money as Tevez or more, Tevez is on 615000 pounds a week and I imagine they would not pay Rooney less. Rooney is just finished as a top player so I would not be surprised if he left now, he´s not going to be playing at striker over Ibra or Rashford and he will not play in attacking midfield role over Miki because he´s just nowhere as good as these players. We need to get rid of him to bring in Grizeman/Dybala in the summer, having a player in the squad costing 250000 pounds per week and not having any effect is just not working, I would expect Fellaini,Young and Schweinsteiger to follow out in the summer and that is some serious money in terms of salary cost. I do not doubt that Mourinho will spend well next summer like the did when bringing in Pogba,Bailiy,Ibra and Mkhitaryan last summer. Those guys are of a genuine United class and far better then what we have done in the transfer market for a long time.

beergod

Actually think the MLS would be Rooney's best move. I think he's fallen that far, that he won't contribute much in the Prem anymore.
China is his best bet for footballing and financial reasons. I don't think he can handle the workrate that is required in MLS, especially as the season runs through the summer months. MLS lacks tactical acumen and technical ability at times but workrate isn't neglected as the likes of Gerrard and Lampard have discovered.

Ashley R1+O

@stevoc, do you want to tell him?..

No that would be a first, a footballer chasing money. Of course he will leave if the China clubs are offering him the same silly money as Tevez or more, Tevez is on 615000 pounds a week and I imagine they would not pay Rooney less.
Why would he go chasing money? He's one of the highest paid English players, playing in his home domestic league. Why would he move to another country for the money? Logically it doesn't really make much sense as in his home nation he is on a satisfying wicket and has domestic club honours, praise and adoration. The same can be said at international level as well. (I believe his eldest son is at City's academy, so maybe he'd leave the family behind?)

These arguments are becoming quite fanciful. I could completely understand if it was a player being paid sub100k/wk with little to no prospects of appearing at club level and winning club trophies. Even more so if they were a foreign import.

I think that people are projecting a little bit while trying to drum up a sense that Rooney could/should/would leave, money being the sole/major reason.

peridigm

I can't see Rooney doing well in MLS. MLS is a pretty high tempo league with lots of young athletes. He'd be run ragged. Seeing him trot around on the pitch this last year says everything about his physicality. The only thing he would excel at in MLS is his decision making. Problem is, the majority of MLS players are tactically inept.

RedMaestro

I can't see Rooney doing well in MLS. MLS is a pretty high tempo league with lots of young athletes. He'd be run ragged. Seeing him trot around on the pitch this last year says everything about his physicality. The only thing he would excel at in MLS is his decision making. Problem is, the majority of MLS players are tactically inept.
I said it before but I think Serie A would be perfect for him, especially AC Milan. The club has had some success with "ageing" players before and the league is also "used" to good "old" players. The tempo is a bit slower, which will suit him. Sure a different culture, but the climate is good and overall it's a good place to be at. Ibra has maybe said some good things about Italy and Milan.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I said it before but I think Serie A would be perfect for him, especially AC Milan. The club has had some success with "ageing" players before and the league is also "used" to good "old" players. The tempo is a bit slower, which will suit him. Sure a different culture, but the climate is good and overall it's a good place to be at. Ibra has maybe said some good things about Italy and Milan.
AC Milan have suffered enough

johanovic

Why would he go chasing money? He's one of the highest paid English players, playing in his home domestic league. Why would he move to another country for the money? Logically it doesn't really make much sense as in his home nation he is on a satisfying wicket and has domestic club honours, praise and adoration. The same can be said at international level as well. (I believe his eldest son is at City's academy, so maybe he'd leave the family behind?)

These arguments are becoming quite fanciful. I could completely understand if it was a player being paid sub100k/wk with little to no prospects of appearing at club level and winning club trophies. Even more so if they were a foreign import.

I think that people are projecting a little bit while trying to drum up a sense that Rooney could/should/would leave, money being the sole/major reason.
So would you not think about changing a workplace if you got paid mabye 3 to 4 times what you are currently earning. I think both of us would and Rooney is just done as a top player, he has not started since mid desember, has 2 goals in the league and the team is doing much better without him. I respect what he did in the past but his time has just come to an end, there is nothing more sad to see than a former great player turning into a mediocre player. Neville knew when to quit, Scholes and so on. How Rooney takes care of himself has not helped him and you can clearly see his leg´s are gone. Fergie was right in 2013 in wanting to get rid of him then.

dichinero

And how exactly do you know that he will not be interested in more money?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

He's completely finished at any respectable level of football and has the chance one one last big payday. He might be rich now but he's looking at the end of his real bread winning days as he doesn't have the personality for TV and it'll be a big ask to get to a management position that pays the sort of money he is used to.

He's got around £18m minus tax to come on his current contract. IF he sits on the bench here for a year, he will be lucky to get £80,000 a week on anything more than a rolling deal from other clubs as he closes in on his 33rd birthday and God knows what state he will be in by then.

If you think he's in a position where he would turn his nose up at one last pay day of £50m+ then fair enough but I don't. There's not many people in the world that would turn down that sort of offer.

FujiVice

I'd play barefoot in Bolivia on hypodermic needles for the kind of money on the table here. If you are at the end of the road (which it clearly is), I cant imagine him turning down this opportunity.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Rooney would be miles ahead of anyone in that league, his movement, positioning and game intelligence would make him superb for any MLS team. Rooney is still a good player, he's just lost a step in every aspect and can't compete at the top level anymore. But for a second or third tier league, he'd be immense. His work rate is still top notch too.

It's also a myth that he's slow now. He's still got a decent turn of pace. He just isn't electric and explosive like he used to be; which is unfortunately what his game was built around.

It's a shame a lot of the nonsense spouted about Wayne in here. He's been a completely brilliant player for us. It's not his fault Moyes gave him a preposterous contract. That's really his only crime. If he was earning 100k a week, I'd be happy for him to stick around for another couple of years, because our squad is desperately short on experience.

People vastly underestimate the value of experience, and a winning mentality. Rooney and Carrick are the last of Fergie's bunch that won it all with us, and know what it means to be champions on every level. As it is, his massive salary and low output means he'll almost certainly be moved on. Which is fine, I just wish we could stop with all the negative hyperbole about his decline. fecking match day threads are the worst. He's a bigger scape goat than Fellaini at this point.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
As a striker - worst in the premier league.
As a 10 - probably around 15th.
A winger - pfft
A cdm - around 35th
That's a fecking embarrassing post.

So as a 10 or inside left forward he wouldn't get into West Brom, Stoke, Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, Southampton, Burnley, Watford teams?

Christ on a bike. He's a fraction of the player he once was, but he'd walk into any of those teams. He's still got plenty of quality.

Sparky10Legend

That's a fecking embarrassing post.

So as a 10 or inside left forward he wouldn't get into West Brom, Stoke, Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, Southampton, Burnley, Watford teams?

Christ on a bike. He's a fraction of the player he once was, but he'd walk into any of those teams. He's still got plenty of quality.
No, he wouldn't.

Stoke, Arnautivic /Shakiri etc etc etc

Your post is clearly 5 years out of date

Sparky10Legend

I've given
A water tight riposte. Well done.

I've given you examples of players who he clearly wouldn't displace, what more do you want......

I , and many others, truly believe that's how bad he is.

If you are expecting a 10 point post about why he's useless then you'll be disappointed. Its a forum, bite sized points of view.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I've given

I've given you examples of players who he clearly wouldn't displace, what more do you want......
You mentioned 2 players, both wingers, who are barely better - if at all - from a list of 8 clubs; as proof that he is the 15th best no.10 in the league, and an atrocious wide player.

Even the club you mentioned, Stoke, started with a 35 year old Peter Crouch up front. And you're saying that Rooney is worse than that?

VivaJanuzaj

You mentioned 2 players, both wingers, who are barely better - if at all - from a list of 8 clubs; as proof that he is the 15th best no.10 in the league, and an atrocious wide player.
Personally I think Rooney isn't better than Stoke's Shaqiri/Arnautovic, Swansea's Gilfy, West Ham's Lanzini/Snodgrass or West Brom's Chadli/Phillips.
He'll be a definite upgrade for the rest of them, but that says the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.