Wayne Rooney: Man Utd players need to fear Solskjaer and Carrick

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
FML, if we need players to be afraid of Michael feckin' Carrick we are dead and buried.

The Urban Goose

As has been said plenty of times, the key difference between United and Liverpool/City is that their players don't hold a balance of power of Klopp/Pep. Their players are desperate to impress in every training session and in every match.

Whereas our players behave like they're at Chelsea or Real and can wait out, disrupt or coast through any manager they don't happen to like. And nobody thinks Ole has the nous or the backbone to offset this overwhelming player power we have at the club right now. He may do, but he certainly hasn't shown any of it yet.

But then to look like a manager in full command and above reproach you have to have a tangible philosophy which has been successfully implemented and, most importantly, is bringing results.
The manager has apparently been overruled on transfers a number of times before, so in the players' minds why will life under Ole be any different?

This is the major problem with the club structure. We spent years laughing at Chelsea and player power due to Abramovich's interference; now we're the same.

Fridge chutney

Ho much would an 18 year old Rooney go for now?

We bought him for £24M pounds. What a buy.

antohan

Do Liverpool's players fear Klopp? I doubt it, they just love him and are willing to run through walls for him. Our squad is just a mess, JLingz and Rashy too busy thinking they've made it, more focused on fashion and chains than what they're actually paid a salary for! If these 2 had won a PL couple times we could cut some slack. I do think Ole has a hairdryer in him though and he will get ruthless with some of these soft marshmallows.
Go ask Mamadou Sakho. You bet your ass he is a scary motherfecker if needs be.

Charlie Yu

So we need someone that Pogba fears to tell him to play more disciplined in a deeper role then? Because it is definitely what the team needs.

tombombadil

Wayne is right. He isn't blaming social media. He is blaming the mindset of the players. The players need to know Ole and Carrick are here to stay and the players are the ones in danger. It'll take some doing, but it's doable. Tottenham have done it with Pochettino. City have done it with Guardiola.

TRUERED89

Go ask Mamadou Sakho. You bet your ass he is a scary motherfecker if needs be.
He doesn't rule by fear though, far from it. He just gets the team behind him and believing in his ideas. A very good man manager, that counts for more than who can scream the loudest.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He doesn't rule by fear though, far from it. He just gets the team behind him and believing in his ideas. A very good man manager, that counts for more than who can scream the loudest.
I don't think by fear he means the kind of fear where you have to tip toe around that person. When Wayne says you have to fear the manager it's more to the tune of that if you don't buy into what the manager is telling you to do or don't give the required effort, you know you'll be out of the club. You have to please the manager and not the other way around.

sugar_kane

As has been said plenty of times, the key difference between United and Liverpool/City is that their players don't hold a balance of power of Klopp/Pep. Their players are desperate to impress in every training session and in every match.

Whereas our players behave like they're at Chelsea or Real and can wait out, disrupt or coast through any manager they don't happen to like. And nobody thinks Ole has the nous or the backbone to offset this overwhelming player power we have at the club right now. He may do, but he certainly hasn't shown any of it yet.

But then to look like a manager in full command and above reproach you have to have a tangible philosophy which has been successfully implemented and, most importantly, is bringing results.
This is key and why I think Ole needs to be brave and remove some of those more dominant personalities eg. Pogba, De Gea and bring in his own guys, even if they're not quite the same quality. Look at Liverpool - they didn't bring in ready made superstars (even the likes of Salah, Firmino etc) they brought in decent prospects and turned them into a fully functioning unit over the course of a few years.

CaptainAvengers

That's the problem. Ole and Carrick don't strike fear into anyone (their team or any other team). nobody respects them, they are just "one of the lads". Until you create that professional boundary barrier, the player won't respect you.

Roy Keane use to get good results at Sunderland just by fear alone.. it is a powerful tool.. took them from the brink of relegation to League 1 to the Premiership.

Last edited by a moderator:

antohan

Nobody is talking about ruling by fear, just knowing your place. As it stands, our managers have been more vulnerable than the players serving up shit week in week out.

That has to change. Again, Sakho showed up late and did a couple of minor things that weren't in line with what was required, thought he was above complying, and he got hung up to dry. You've completely forgotten about it because nobody made a meal of it and it never happened again.

TRUERED89

It didn’t work with Mourinho though. A manager with that CV should have instilled some respect, but clearly, it didn’t work out.
Precisely this! Mourinho couldn't find that balance. He tried the fear aspect too much and it spectacularly back fired, just as it did in the previous clubs he managed.

Mugiwarared71

well Ole is like the guy on the train who would get elbowed in the face accidentally and then apologise for his face getting in the way, doesn't seem to strike me as a rule with fear type of manager and this is what i am afraid of.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
i think in general what Rooney is saying is correct, the manager needs to rule the club and there has to be a certain element of fear to stop players stepping out of line.
I do agree with this and what Rooney is saying.
The problem is that when Jose (serial winner, knows how to put together teams which win everything) pointed out to Woodward that certain players did not have what it takes to win and that he wanted to sell them, Woodward said, "no" and eventually fired Jose. The problem players, stayed.

Until Woodward is demoted so that he has no influence on footballing decisions, we will continue to be a 4th-6th place team. In fact, with Ole in charge, I think we'd be very lucky if can hold onto a top 6 position.

In the very first instance, Woodward is the problem. Once the manager gets complete authority (like Guardiola, Klopp and Poch have at their respective clubs), I think we will see things improve.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
well Ole is like the guy on the train who would get elbowed in the face accidentally and then apologise for his face getting in the way, doesn't seem to strike me as a rule with fear type of manager and this is what i am afraid of.
I think Ole can get tough - he'll simply omit a problem player from the match day squad, as he did this season. The problem is that he may not be allowed to do this by the board. As an example, he kept Martial out of the starting XI, for the last few matches. It was rumoured that a week ago, he asked the board to sell Martial, so we can get another LW in. The board said, "no".

The manager is being asked to do his job with one hand tied behind his back.
I think the board lack ambition - 4th place is good enough for them - and Jose found this out last Summer, at which point he completely switched off and waited to be fired.

The club's structure needs to be corrected and when this happens, the players will fall in line without too much fuss.