Wayne Rooney: Manchester United All Time Top Goalscorer

Seven Seas Sardines

I'm just delighted for him and for us that he's broken the record while playing bloody good football again.

Wouldn't have been right if he'd broken it with a couple of penalties in the middle of that rotten spell of form with all of us on his back.

Well done Wayne and fair play for coming back in such good nick. Long may it last!
Getting a lucky knee on the ball, pinging two balls across the pitch and losing possession a dozen times qualify as bloody good Rooney football nowadays unfortunately..

wr8_utd

:'(
Getting a lucky knee on the ball, pinging two balls across the pitch and losing possession a dozen times qualify as bloody good Rooney football nowadays unfortunately..
Yes because that's how his game went. He certainly didn't play the quick 1-2 with Martial for the goal and didn't set up Rashford with another great ball which he missed.

diarm

Rooneys play over the last couple of months has been a vast improvement over what we've seen from him over the last year or two. If you can't grasp that I'm not really sure what you're watching?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Any other Rooney discussion is for another thread. Nicely done Wazza, I hope he gets the record outright soon.

RedTiger

Half mast
I can understand people being pissed off with Rooney's contract negotiations. Some time ago I ranked my 10 greatest Legends and I ranked Rooney last even if he should break the club goals scoring record.
But today was great overall for us.
Personally I want to see him break the record against Liverpool.
Where would he rank in your 10 greatest legends now? Or still the same place?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Guardian said:
Wayne Rooney has equalled the record – but what does the future hold for striker?

The question for Wayne Rooney now is how many more can be added to the joint-record 249th goal he scored for Manchester United against Reading on Saturday.

Rooney’s contract includes a one-way clause that allows the club to extend it by a year if desired. The current terms end in summer 2019, so if United decide to exercise the option the Liverpudlian would be at Old Trafford as he approaches his 35th birthday.

Rooney wants to stay on but will United do it? Will the forward be given an extra season to add to his goals for the club? This is what fascinates about the late-career Rooney: how long can he go on performing for United?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/08/wayne-rooney-manchester-united-record-future

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Dream team stirring the pot? Had no idea UEFA had Sir Bobby down at 251.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
There are more than two of us! Yes!

I'm pretty sure that UEFA does not recognize Anglo-Italian cup though. Then again, it does not do the same with Inter-Cities Fairs cup either. So, feck UEFA, am I right?

Duafc

Village Lemon
There are more than two of us! Yes!

I'm pretty sure that UEFA does not recognize Anglo-Italian cup though. Then again, it does not do the same with Inter-Cities Fairs cup either. So, feck UEFA, am I right?
It will all be immaterial soon!

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Rooney deserves to be on any legend list, and I really hope he breaks Sir Bobby's record. It would be marvellous if he did it against Loserpool but it is more likely to be against 'Ull on Tuesday. Whilst he probably didn't fulfil his true potential he has done a brilliant job for United. Thank you.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
It's a shame that he'll be remembered for the dramas he's kicked up and form in the latter stages of his career, but that's just the way it is and that's the way he conducted himself.

Top scorer or not he won't be remembered a United legend. Not for me, atleast.

Though that's not to say I don't appreciate his service. Obvs.

Reggie74

Wonderful achievement & have enjoyed watching him play for United over the years. He's now in good company with Sir Bobby & it would be fitting for Rooney to break the record against Liverpool. If Rashford's skill is developed further & maintained by United, I reckon he can be the next to break the United goal scoring record before his career expires. That would be great to see the record broken twice in my lifetime.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
10th
I posted this in the Charlton thread.

Edwards
Best
Keane
Charlton
Law
Scholes
Cantona
Giggs
Ronaldo
Rooney

That would be my personal top 10 Legends in order.
Good list.No keeper though? I think I'ld fit either Schmeichel or VDS in at Rooney's expense.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
not meant to be a team.

If I added two more to make it twelve, I would add Robbo and Smikes.
A mate of mine did not even have keane in the top 12.
These lists are so personal.
But good fun for discussion.
I know it's not meant to be a team, just thought it a bit unfair on keepers !

Raw

Anyone know how many goals Rooney has scored against Liverpool in all competitions while playing for us?
6 goals in 22 games.

Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd 15/16 (1 goal)
Man Utd 3-0 Liverpool 14/15 (1 goal)
Man Utd 2-1 Liverpool 11/12 (2 goals)
Man Utd 2-1 Liverpool 09/10 (1 goal - penalty)
Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd 04/05 (1 goal)

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's a shame that he'll be remembered for the dramas he's kicked up and form in the latter stages of his career, but that's just the way it is and that's the way he conducted himself.

Top scorer or not he won't be remembered a United legend. Not for me, atleast.

Though that's not to say I don't appreciate his service. Obvs.
Maybe not for you but other club legends (Bobby Charlon, SAF) and the vast majority of supporters will consider him a legend. He is going to be our highest goalscorer. Amazing achievement and I hope he bangs it in hard against the scouse and celebrates like mad!

FujiVice

I don't think schmeichel is better than Rooney. Playing for city is worse than threatening to leave
Hardly the same. Schmeichel was in his late 30s and City were shit. He took a job so he could move back to Manchester where his house was, and got his son a place in a professional academy. Rooney tried to actively leave in his prime for more money.

prath92

Hardly the same. Schmeichel was in his late 30s and City were shit. He took a job so he could move back to Manchester where his house was, and got his son a place in a professional academy. Rooney tried to actively leave in his prime for more money.
again not the same. Rooney was our best player and one of the best in the league yet wasnt paid as much as stars in other clubs. It was probably a last resort as a week after he apparently asked to leave, he was given the contract he wanted. I think both the club and rooney have equal amount of blame in the situation

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So, our top scorer EVER is struggling to find a place in our list of top 10 Utd legends :houllier:
No matter how you rate him, apart from the Holy Trinity, Scholes, Giggs and maybe Keane and Robson no one's contribution has been as much as Rooney's

nick2004

So, our top scorer EVER is struggling to find a place in our list of top 10 Utd legends :houllier:
No matter how you rate him, apart from the Holy Trinity, Scholes, Giggs and maybe Keane and Robson no one's contribution has been as much as Rooney's
For the haters, he is not even top-100. :lol:

For the rest of us, he is the best ever, top scorer, representative of the best era in our history.

(Best era so far... perhaps with Mourinho we'll become a dominant international force like we have never been before, better than Barca... who knows, we'll see!)

Ashley R1+O

We'd have no hero's or legends if attempting to leave for more money was a critical benchmark of a players status. I think that is just a lazy dig for the sake of it, lots of our players used contracts at other clubs as bargaining chips for their wages. Even Keane says he was on the verge of accepting an off from Inter and Juventus before the club upped what was on the table and he signed it.

AndyJ1985

We'd have no hero's or legends if attempting to leave for more money was a critical benchmark of a players status. I think that is just a lazy dig for the sake of it, lots of our players used contracts at other clubs as bargaining chips for their wages. Even Keane says he was on the verge of accepting an off from Inter and Juventus before the club upped what was on the table and he signed it.
Rooney was going to join our rivals, City. Feck him. You're welcome to keep your tongue firmly lodged in his anus, though.

Ashley R1+O

Rooney was going to join our rivals, City. Feck him. You're welcome to keep your tongue firmly lodged in his anus, though.
Are you okay, pal? You spitting your tea everywhere over nothing here, aren't you? Calm down a bit , eh?

@prath92 /@stevoc - I now know what you mean when you were talking earlier on, I guess if people just repeat the same things over and over again, it becomes a fact in their warped mind and they will use it any which way they can for their sad, petty digs. Embarrassing stuff really.

We've a whole truckload of cases where players were attempting to move away from the club and being linked in the media and then signing new deals. Unfortunately it is a viable strategy these days.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Fixed!:
For the haters, he is not even top-100. :lol:

For the rest of me, he is the best ever, top scorer, representative of the best era in our history.
:D

stevoc

I guess if people just repeat the same things over and over again, it becomes a fact
Heres the thing with Rooney certain views just won't be changed for some people. The City thing for example it doesn't matter that Rooney said he had no intention of going to City at the time or that Mancini had said there was nothing to it and that City had no contact with Rooney or even that Ferguson released a pretty revealing autobiography in 2013 when he and Rooney were not on the best of terms and there wasn't a so much as a peep about Rooney wanting to go to City or nearly joining them in 2010.

Some people will remain convinced Rooney nearly joined City.