Wayne Rooney - Manchester United Legend

Do you consider Rooney to be a United legend?

• Total voters

Hamadovich86

Not my favorite player, actually resent him a bit for him wanting to leave twice but the record speaks for itself. He served the club very well for 9 years and won a lot of trophies. Not sad at all that hes leaving and I cant see myself missing him like I do Scholes, Giggs, Becks and others.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Got world record £80m for Ronnie though.... he got loads from us, we got plenty back.

I get why people rate Rooney .... goals. But I also get why the nearly transfers, sulks and last couple of years mean others don't rate him with 'legend' status - depends on what your driver for 'legend' is?
He still left us when we were challenging for champions league season after season. Rooney would of retired here had we wanted to keep him

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Club legend. Never in doubt.

Might have played us for new contracts. Has slumped in form in last few seasons. But over the years, it was worth it 10 times over. Delighted he got to get the all time scoring record.

Zoo

When you're in one place for as long as he has been there will naturally be highs and lows but there is no doubt that he is a true United legend. Up there with the best I've seen.

wr8_utd

:'(
His old Tweets from 2010-2013 are absolutely legendary. Can't stop laughing at them :lol:

Spoony

The People's President
When you're in one place for as long as he has been there will naturally be highs and lows but there is no doubt that he is a true United legend. Up there with the best I've seen.

That's fantastic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
My favourite Wayne Rooney goal/moment by the seasons

04/05 - volley v Newcastle
05/06 - double v Wigan at home (not the LC Final one)
06/07 - late winner v Milan
07/08 - assist for Tevez v Boro
08/09 - assist for Ronaldo v Arsenal (away UCL Semi)
09/10 - counter attack goal v Arsenal
10/11 - overhead kick v City
11/12 - hatrick v Arsenal (8-2)
12/13 - assist for RVP v Villa
13/14 - halfway line goal v West Ham
14/15 - counter attack goal v Arsenal
15/16 - late winner v Liverpool
16/17 - 250th goal v Stoke
Thought I'd do some more, my favourite lesser goals by the seasons

04/05 - volley v Middlesbrough (FA Cup tie)
05/06 - v Arsenal
06/07 - v Portsmouth (FA Cup tie)
07/08 - v Newcastle (away 2nd goal)
08/09 - v Bolton
09/10 - v Man City (LC Semi Final)
10/11 - v West Ham (away 2nd goal)
11/12 - v Bilbao (away)
12/13 - v Norwich
13/14 - v Man City
14/15 - v Aston Villa
15/16 - v Swansea
16/17 - v Fernabache (away)

Sterling Archer

This is well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't already seen it

Brilliant video. What a way to cap 250 goals too.

I had to come on to the forum today to say thanks for everything to Wayne. A couple of times during his thirteen years it looked like he was leaving, but, thankfully, the issues were ironed out and he remained totally professional, often sacrificing his preferred role for the good of the team. I don't hold any ill will towards him for the transfer sagas: he stayed and did his job.
I feel exactly the same as you. I was disappointed with his wanting to leave but never begrudged him for it. It stung a bit but I got over it.

Here's the thing that I started wondering in the last couple years as the vitriol against him piled on, especially this forum - was Wayne wrong in criticizing and questioning the ambition of the club in 2010?

With hindsight, perhaps he was right and we should have been less complacent. We took our success for granted, tried to naively (arrogantly) haggle our way thru the transfer markets that were clearly poisoned and then hired David Moyes to replace Sir Alex. We kept Wayne back then but didn't appreciate the foreshadowing.

And yet he has stayed through the depths of the last several years and leaves us back in the CL with a European Cup.

I wish Wayne all the best upon his return to his boyhood club and look forward to seeing him at Old Trafford next season. Once again he's a Blue, but he'll always be a Red. Legend.
Love the way you've phrased that.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm in two minds about how I feel about this but he probably is a club legend and an icon for all he achieved while with us. Give it another 30 years though before people start having discussions about building a statue or not, at the moment I would say we're unfairly comparing him to the likes of Scholes and Giggs. The history books are going to be incredibly favourable to Rooney in the future, much like Best.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
His quick decline was sad to watch but his overall career is exceptional.

davidmichael

There's no way in the world anyone can say Rooney isn't a United legend as he's our all time top scorer which alone carries legendary status but he's also won 5 league titles, a Champions League, a Europa League, an FA Cup, 3 League Cups and a Club World Cup as well as being Footballer Of The Year AND England captain and all time scorer whilst with us.

Unfortunately he's got backwards in people's estimation based on the last 3 or 4 seasons when he's declined rapidly and it's easier to judge him on what's fresh in people's minds, his last season under Sir Alex was definitely a noticeable decline and Sir Alex saw it straight away so set it all up to cash in but Moyes bottled it.

His seasons under Moyes and Van Gaal were horrible to see as he was clearly not good enough to be our talisman and who we built around anymore and Jose did the right thing 100%, he played Rooney in his best position from the start of the season and let everyone see Rooney was no longer good enough so it was easy to drop him without a backlash and his departure has been an easy and acceptable split.

I try to think about the good times though like his partnership with Ronaldo which was genuinely world class, his debut for us against Fenerbache, the overhead kick against City, single handedly at times dragging us through to wins in our first post Ronaldo season and all of the trophies we won whilst he's been with us so for £20 million and 13 seasons I think we've got a great return across the whole and I wish him luck for Everton except when he plays against us.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
As much as I don't like him as a bloke, there is no denying he will go down as a legend. Thanks for the goals. Good luck.

Champagne Football

Rooney has been absolutely amazing. The problem is that he has been very poor for a few seasons now despite being on Ronaldo money but for maybe a 5 year period when he was in his prime he was phenomenal and up there with the very very best on the planet. He was completely finished by the time Van Gaal arrived and didn't get the most out of his God given talents during his career but all in all he's been well worth the money spent.

Matab8r

Anyone who says he isn't a club legend or football legend is just trying to take the piss. 250+ goals for us, 50+ goals for England, definitely going to get 200+ PL goals by the time he retires, won everything there is to win at a club level.
I mean, if it's just the transfer requests because of which we aren't ready to brand him a legend, then very few would ever be classified as legends- including guys like CR7, RVN.
Agree 100%, especially your last paragraph. For gods sake, one of our biggest legends Roy Keane had transfer requests and still doesn't speak to Fergie.

I believe as the years get on the nasty stigma around him will erode and he will be celebrated for his achievements.

cyberman

Id take mid 20's Rooney over any striker bar the godly duo thats about today.
Could play up top on his own, as a number 10 and inside forward.
Scored v packed defences, on quick counter attacks while putting more than a defensive shift in when needed.
Young Rooney was a force of nature imo

pauldyson1uk

To put it blunt, Anyone who says he isn't a club legend, is a fecking idiot.
Forget about the transfer bullshite and his decline in form.
He is United's all time top scorer , he is England's top scorer, he has won the lot a club level, he deserves to be called a United legend.
He still has a few seasons in him and Everton is ideal for him.
He knew the time was right for him to go , wish him all the best.

Last edited:

parkthebuslads

At his best, he was the fans player; the player any youngster would pretend to be in the playground. Mixing incredible work rate with unbelievable goals, you couldn't help but love to watch him.

Looking forward, I can't help but feel a little worried for him. He's always had a bit of darkness to him, a hint of inner demons and I'm not sure where he goes once he hangs up his boots. I hope his time with Everton isn't a total disaster at least.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
My favourite Wayne Rooney goal/moment by the seasons

10/11 - overhead kick v City
I smile everytime I think of that goal, not because it was a fecking phenomenal goal, but the celebration. So simple, but right infront of the City fans...

...I'm going to youtube it now.

DannyDee

Absolute club legend. I still remember his 2004 breakthrough at the Euro's and was ecstatic when we locked him up. He fell off hard towards the end, but at his peak he was a top player in the league and if it wasn't for a garbage missed call and an injury he would of led us to a title in 2009/10.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He still left us when we were challenging for champions league season after season. Rooney would of retired here had we wanted to keep him
Or gone to City or Chelsea years ago if we hadn't given him shedloads of cash?

Ronaldo was always going to Madrid sometime.... it was his ultimate aim and I hold no grudge against him for wanting a certain culture, environment and to be top dog at a(nother) legendary club. Rooney stayed because we were successful, he was paid massive wages (too much) and because he hasn't got it in him to move too far from home.... nothing wrong in that either.

Personally, I'd have Ronaldos 6 years over Rooney's decade+ (quality over quantity) BUT still happy Rooney was here and scored all those goals and you can't outscore Taylor, Rowley, Charlton, Law, Best, RVN without earning the right to be called a United legend?

I'll try and forget the last few years and remember 2006-12, when he touched excellent levels.

Ta ra Wayne.

red_devil83

Make it a poll. Not a legend but a great servant.

25% of his time here he was shit...

Denis79

Absolute legend. One of the best players we've had. Wish him all the best at Everton.

ypsipeos

ROONEY = ANGER

Football is a sport of emotions. Footballers have to offer emotions. It is their job. They are showmen.

And this great red warrior offered us pure anger, as an explosive teenager who tore defenses apart and as a superstar who seemed to put himself above the club for contract negotiations reasons and almost tore our heart. We hid our true feelings, and got angry with him.

Anyway, apart from scoring goals and making those runs on and off the ball, this brilliant footballer would always sacrifice himself for the team.
He started as a CF, a man who didn't play with his back towards the goal. Sometimes he was asked to fill the wings , he was good at it. He was forced to play the lone striker position. Quality striker. He accompanied Ruud or Tevez or Berba. He was great. He was even made to play as a No8. He made it. And he would always run those extra yards backwards to cover for others' mistakes.

Rooney was not the same player anymore and we got bored of him. He mellowed down. No more whores, no fury. Just a life of a married man. His anger is gone.
My anger is gone too. I can't hate him anymore for not being world-class his whole career. It's Premier League afterall and he was never an Inzaghi-like poacher who would run a few yards and score tapins.

Anger is gone and I am full of sadness.
Farewell.
You will be missed.

PS: The end of an era really. Along with Vidic, Evra, Carrick and Rio he was the spine of our most succesful era.

Djemba-Djemba

There's a sadness for me that it came to this.

He's only 31, if he'd looked after himself maybe he wouldn't have been so dreadful in the last 3 or 4 years and maybe we'd still have a few more years left of him at Utd.

Still he's had a hell of a career, if you'd told me what he'd win and how many goals he'd have scored when we signed him in 2004 I'd have been happy with that. Won everything there is to win at club level, record goalscorer for Utd and England. Not bad at all.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Will rightly be remembered as one of the top 10 players to play for the club and is one of my favourite players ever.

For a few seasons, he was amongst the very best in the world and our teams heartbeat, for most of the rest he was a very hard working player, unselfishly committed to the success of the team before his own personal accolades.

The club and fans certainly got maximum value from his huge transfer fee. I doubt his goal scoring record will be beaten in my lifetime. Without doubt the best English player of an entire generation too.

I'll only have fond memories for his contributions as a footballer. I wish him well.

Last edited:

Rajma

You just know he was drunk when he wrote that :lol:
I know it's funny, but being drunk with CL final being in two weeks time..Just doesn't sit right with me. In fact, it shows really how much he lacked the application off the field imo. Force of nature, had he looked after himself in a way Ronaldo did, we wouldn't be relieved at his departure.

Legend in my eyes just for the simple fact that even in the team filled with Ronaldos, Giggs, etc., he was the player I loved watching most. Thanks for the memories.

The White Pele

A truly special player with a combination of qualities that I'm not sure I've seen in any other player.

Sad the way it has ended but hopefully he will can have a resurgence at Everton. Really glad he didn't go to China or the US.

Time for the current players to stand up and deliver now as none of them have come close to having the impact that the likes of Rooney/Ronaldo did a decade ago.

Dave46

10 people think that scoring 250 goals for the club is nothing.