Wayne Rooney - Manchester United Legend

Do you consider Rooney to be a United legend?

• Total voters

tombombadil

Ok, so lets just hit the nail on the head here, if United couldn't offer Rooney the package they did, would he still be at the club? And if no, how can we put his status amoung players in Europe like Totti, Giggs etc, by calling him a "Legend".

The fact is, he is a Everton boy through and through, if Everton were as big as United, he wouldn't have made the move.
You're complicating things with irrelevant ifs and elses.

By your definition, then you can strike Scholes etc off the list. IINM, a lot of them were Oldham boys.

Surely 84% - 16% is split opinion ? No ? Is 51% - 49% split opinion ?

If you had a poll asking is Charlton, Best, Cantona, Giggs a club legend then you'd never, in a million years, get 16% saying 'no'.
I was so hoping to see some white text in there, to be honest. If someone won an election with an 84% majority, people would call it a landslide. But on the internet? Apparently not. On the internet it is split opinion. I suppose only way to not be split is a 100% majority.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Ok, so lets just hit the nail on the head here, if United couldn't offer Rooney the package they did, would he still be at the club? And if no, how can we put his status amoung players in Europe like Totti, Giggs etc, by calling him a "Legend".

The fact is, he is a Everton boy through and through, if Everton were as big as United, he wouldn't have made the move.
And if my auntie had bollocks....

If Utd weren't as successful as they were would Giggs have spent his entire career here?

Aside from anything else, if Utd felt Rooney wasn't worth the contract he was looking for couldn't we have just sold him?

dogwithabone

Keane was only ever great when he actually played. He's tainted his reputation since leaving. Bestie had his priorities right, women, alcohol, drugs and United. Couldn't help but love the guy.

I agree, it's not just what you contribute on the pitch that goes towards legendary status. Best was your archetypal loveable rogue but he never had anything but genuine love for United. Keane has acted like a twat towards United since he left and criticises virtually anything.

Balljy

He was undoubtedly a great player during his peak years and contributed to United's success immensely. However, my heart has never accepted him as a legend. That's just me, and it's not particularly based on football or his achievements. As I mentioned above, I have loved players who have achieved a lot less for some apparent reason.

Just my thoughts.
I'm with you on this. I have no idea why, but I never really accepted him as truly a favourite of mine. There were always other players whether that be Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Ronaldo, Cantona in terms of football or the likes of Evra, Yorke, Hernandez, Cantona in terms of personality that I just had soft spots for and who ended up being my favourite rather than Rooney through the years. In terms of stats I can understand the argument, but for me legend status is far more than just that.

Maybe it was all the contract talk over the years? Dunno...

Reactions: Sultan

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
For me he was a brilliant player but his failure to look after himself and his lack of loyalty are a bit of a blot on teh record.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Don't want to do a Liverpool and live on 'past glories'.

Thanks Wayne, see ya, good luck and all that.

Moving swiftly onwards now. As my granny used to say 'if you are always looking back you'll fall down a big hole'
What's the meaning of that saying, do you think? "If you always look back you won't see where you're going"? Or "the past is like a big hole, you'll never be finished with it if you keep focusing on it"?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
For me he was a brilliant player but his failure to look after himself and his lack of loyalty are a bit of a blot on teh record.
Lack of loyalty?

I know he flirted with it a bit, but he stayed.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Legend! Nothing more to be said. The poll results obvious.

Wish him all the best.

We need an rvn

am actually quite upset at seeing those pics of him signing for everton and being happy. The guy has had so much stick, and deserved, for his performances over the last few years but seeing him in another shirt other than United is just wrong. The guy deserves arguably the best reception ever when he returns to OT next season to show our appreciation.

But I'm glad he's going "home" rather than anywhere else and glad he can play for a few more years for them

#Overhead kick against City best goal Wayne!!!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If we all agreed on everything there would be no discussion. We'd just end up with replies with the words, I agree, or this...
Under normal circumstances I'd agree mate, but Rooney is the Manchester United all time top goalscorers. What more could someone do to be called a legend?

I'm guessing that Cantona isn't a legend either in a lot of fans minds. He physically assaulted a fan and then retired out of the blue after all.

Dennis Law went and played for City, which surely means he's not a legend too.

Bobby Charlton had a terrible sweep over hair cut that even Donald Trump would laugh at. I'm sure that's upset a few fans and stopped them calling him a legend right? ;)

The fact of the matter is they are all legends in their own right.

I love coming here and reading all of the differing opinions but for me there isn't even a debate to be had. Rooney is the very definition of a club legend whether we like him or not.

It seems people's opinion of Rooney the person is clouding their judgement of Rooney the player.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but I just can't get my head round this.

Nori-

He signed for another club. By the very definition he wasn't a one club man. You're so hung up about comparisons to Totti and Giggs, who legitimately spent their entire careers at one club, yet give Gerrard (this Gerrard: ) a free ride because it doesn't fit your narrative not to.

To argue against Rooney being a United legend on the basis that he might have gone elsewhere, or may have stayed at Everton is just insane. He didn't do either of those things, and devoted the best years of his career (and more) to Manchester United, becoming the club's all-time top goalscorer in the process. To make out that Rooney has no affection for the club is absurd.
So a picture of Gerrard in another kit at the age of about 6 is the same as Rooney outright admitting he is a Everton fan, has played almost 70 games for them before he moved and at the age of 31 is "going back home" huh?!

And I'm not the one changing things to fit my narrative, you know as well as I do Rooney wouldn't be in a United shirt if there was something better on offer, but you and a lot of other fans will over look this and give him Legend status because it makes them feel like they were part of something special. It's the same as when older people say footballers were better in their time. The fact is they probably weren't but it gives them something to cling on too and be proud of. I'll reserve my Legend badge for the Scholes, Maldini's, Puyols and Totti's of this world.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
So a picture of Gerrard in another kit at the age of about 6 is the same as Rooney outright admitting he is a Everton fan, has played almost 70 games for them before he moved and at the age of 31 is "going back home" huh?!

And I'm not the one changing things to fit my narrative, you know as well as I do Rooney wouldn't be in a United shirt if there was something better on offer, but you and a lot of other fans will over look this and give him Legend status because it makes them feel like they were part of something special. It's the same as when older people say footballers were better in their time. The fact is they probably weren't but it gives them something to cling on too and be proud of. I'll reserve my Legend badge for the Scholes, Maldini's, Puyols and Totti's of this world.
Mate, you've admitted that you don't think Kenny Dalglish is a Liverpool legend. You haven't a clue.

You're making up "what ifs" to fit some strange narrative that Rooney didn't really want to be here. He could just as easily have done a Le Tissier and stayed at Everton, being the big fish in the small pond. He didn't do that, and came to United and won everything in front of him, breaking the club goal-scoring record in the process. If he didn't have any affection for United he'd have had ample opportunity to leave, and if he was really serious about leaving during the contract disputes, he'd have gone.

If you've got some bonkers criteria for "legend" that requires a player to have been a boyhood fan of the club, then so be it, but you can't seriously expect others to ascribe to that.

prtk0811

Highest goal scorer in club's and country's history. Legend. Players like him are very rare in world football.

Hope he scores and wins the merseyside derby for everton and takes them to Europe.

el3mel

Thanks Wayne for everything you did for the club. Good luck finding any remnant of your form in your childhood club.

prath92

You can't be serious?

prtk0811

I Will miss the commentator's shouting Roonaaaaaeyyyyyyyyy.:devil: on his goals..

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Lack of loyalty?

I know he flirted with it a bit, but he stayed.
Yes he flirted with it. Unlike Giggs, Scholes, Neville, even Keane. For me that's the high bar for being a legend. Still a very good player though.

Art

Art the artist

Cheesy music but what the heck. It's an emotional day.

tombombadil

Denis Law went on to play for Man City and scored an important goal against us, FFS. And just to be sure, he supported Aberdeen when he was young and played for City first before he joined Man Utd even. I guess you can strike him off your legend list too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ironically, had Rooney left in 2013 after he fell out with Fergie, his status as a United great would be less contentious.

Rooney has been half the player he was in the last few years, even getting the goalscoring record couldn't hide that. A lot of people will now just remember the way he seemed to fight the inevitable rather than his earlier career.

At his best he was a very, very special player for us.

TheReligion

Abusive
Quite sad about it now watching the videos.

Knew it would happen but still.

Glad United have facilitated him going back to Everton. It's the least the club could do. Can't wait to see him back at OT next season. The place will erupt.

Siorac

Undisputed legend. More than that he will go down as one of the top 10 most influential players the club has ever had.

His off-field indiscretions are a minor blip, a grain of sand on the beach, a drop in the ocean, compared to the many years of success he contributed to and contributed to in a big way.

I'm glad he's leaving because he can't cut it anymore at this club but I am thankful for the good times he brought to my club and I won't act like some ungreatful little sheep bleating about one or two awkward moments, in a lifetime of service.

Wayne Rooney - Manchester United Legend.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Thanks for all the memories, Wayne.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Like I've said all along, he's a legend because of what he achieved here, including breaking the long standing goal scoring record. If he had left then he wouldn't have broken the record or achieved as much. If that had happened, he would have gone down as just one of loads of good players who played for us. However he stayed, he broke records. Legend. I am dealing in facts.

If, if, if. Facts. He came, he broke records. He leaves a United legend.

AndyMUFC

Course he's a United legend. He's won everything here and is the top goalscorer in club history. Regardless of the issues over the years, it's not even a debate.

It was time but is still the end of an era. I was in my first year of secondary school when he signed for us and it's amazing how time flies. Pleased that he's going to get the chance to finish his career back at Everton and a fresh challenge might do him some good.

Thanks for the memories Wayne.

Nori-

Mate, you've admitted that you don't think Kenny Dalglish is a Liverpool legend. You haven't a clue.

You're making up "what ifs" to fit some strange narrative that Rooney didn't really want to be here. He could just as easily have done a Le Tissier and stayed at Everton, being the big fish in the small pond. He didn't do that, and came to United and won everything in front of him, breaking the club goal-scoring record in the process. If he didn't have any affection for United he'd have had ample opportunity to leave, and if he was really serious about leaving during the contract disputes, he'd have gone.

If you've got some bonkers criteria for "legend" that requires a player to have been a boyhood fan of the club, then so be it, but you can't seriously expect others to ascribe to that.
If LFC fans started calling Dalglish a prophet, I guess disagreeing with that would make me clueless too. They can call him anything under the sun, it doesn't make it fact. It comes down to what different people set as the standard for using the word legend. My standard is the 1% of very special players. By your logic we might as well call Zlatan a PSG legend because he is there top scorer and Drinkwater a legend because he won the premiership with Leicester.

And the fish in the pond analogy is basically confirming what I'm saying. You don't leave the pond for your own gains, the whole point of a Legend is they put the club first and before themselves. Even if that means sacrificing money or trophies.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Like I've said all along, he's a legend because of what he achieved here, including breaking the long standing goal scoring record. If he had left then he wouldn't have broken the record or achieved as much. If that had happened, he would have gone down as just one of loads of good players who played for us. However he stayed, he broke records. Legend. I am dealing in facts.

Spot on. How many players have we seen at United who have played for United like him.
Off field, contracts are side issues.

stevoc

What is your stance on him blackmailing the club twice, threatening to leave and join our EPL rivals?
Thanks to him for everything good he's done for the club, he's a UTD great but not a legend IMO. I just can't forget those 2 times he blackmailed the club threatening to go to the opposition clubs.
People keep throwing around that he ''blackmailed'' and held the club to ''ransom'', ''threatened'' to go to other clubs.

Can you explain how exactly he did any of this?

You obviously seem to think him wanting to leave in 2010 and the whole contract saga played out in the media was all a nefarious scheme on Rooneys part to secure a new lucrative contract.

So how come Alex Ferguson doesn't think it had anything to do with money, he said in his book that he thinks he genuinely wanted to leave and its sad that it will be portrayed as it being all about money?

Is Alex Ferguson lying, has he despite being personally involved in the whole process completely misjudged the whole episode and is actually less informed than people who followed it on the back pages of tabloids like yourself?

Nori-

It's called denial. You know 100% that he would have left if someone offered something better. Yes he stayed in the end because there was no better offer. If you have persuaded yourself that he would have rejected something better than you are lost my friend.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Bit surprised that only 16% are voting for 'not a legend'. This forum seems to have had a special amount of derision for him for a long time, even before it was cool to hate his terrible performances.

Guess it's easier to let bygones be bygones and value the positives now that he's actually finally leaving.

For me, I think that I almost have to concede that he is a legend simply because of his goal record and because he was an important player in 5 league wins and a CL win.

But - I don't *feel like* saying he is a legend. Because I just don't like him. Even when he was good on the pitch for us, I never liked him as a person because he is thick as pigshit and completely uncultured. Then there was the contract dispute and everything surrounding it in 2010. I never really forgave him for that. Then the next one in 2013 when he should have been sold. After that he's appeared jaded ("I have nothing to prove") and in the last three years he has been absolutely terrible.

Happy to be done with him. Head says I have to admit he's a legend, heart says no.

cvonm

Any Everton fan in here - would like to have your opinion? Do you think you are getting deadwood or a top player hungry for more? Well he be regular?

Fracture90

People keep throwing around that he ''blackmailed'' and held the club to ''ransom'', ''threatened'' to go to other clubs.

Can you explain how exactly he did any of this?

You obviously seem to think him wanting to leave in 2010 and the whole contract saga played out in the media was all a nefarious scheme on Rooneys part to secure a new lucrative contract.

So how come Alex Ferguson doesn't think it had anything to do with money, he said in his book that he thinks he genuinely wanted to leave and its sad that it will be portrayed as it being all about money?

Is Alex Ferguson lying, has he despite being personally involved in the whole process completely misjudged the whole episode and is actually less informed than people who followed it on the back pages of tabloids like yourself?
Could you point out the part in which I state he blackmailed the club for money?