Wayne Rooney - Manchester United Legend

Do you consider Rooney to be a United legend?

• Total voters

Fracture90

Him saying we treated him like a slave is normal? I've never seen any other player say that.
You're conveniently twisting what he said in a way that serves you.

"I'm being treated as a slave" was part of his crying campaign when w denied his transfer to Madrid in 2008. He only said it after initial approach failed and after we refused Madrid, him saying that was his way of putting some more pressure in order to get a transfer.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's quite an online fan thing, the Rooney hate.

He regularly gets a great reaction at the stadium, everyone who I speak with in person likes him and is sorry to see him go (albeit accepting that it's the right thing to do). The whole 'arms-folded, Comic Book Guy attitude', seems to be exclusively online. Generally from people who seem to lack the ability to develop a connection with ANY player. Personally if you can watch someone go from a teenager to become the all time top scorer for your club (and country) and leave in his 30s and feel nothing then that's something that I can't relate to and frankly don't want to.

Rooney has been poor last couple of seasons, probably more. But it's just nuts to me that a fan can be so emotionally detached from it all. This "So? What have you done for me lately", so typical of the modern, shitty fan.
Good post. It's only on the Caf that I really see people deriding Utd legends like Rooney, Keane or Giggs for whatever they did off the field. Any Utd fans you meet in person love these guys with a passion. Opinions reflected here do not really reflect the opinions of our wider fan base.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
In time, the very idea of questioning his legendary status will seem as daft as questioning the likes of Shearer or Gazza.

Anyone pretending he'll be remembered as anything less than an absolute legend are fooling themselves. Or just being a dick.
Thank you, couldn't have summed it better myself.

In few years time, most of our fans will look back at him very fondly.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I wonder if his off the pitch demeanour had a negative effect on him being a legend in a football sense? I think players with the advent of social media and 24-hour football mania do have an effect on how fans see and judge certain players. Certain players have a way with words and actions which endear them to fans. Unfortunately, Rooney never had that gift. Which is probably why my favourites of the modern generation have been Evra, Ole, Rafael, even RvP to some extent became a favourite during first season. Pogba has the charisma and personality to become a favourite.

Sultan

One thing not discussed much in regards to Rooney is the praise and support he's had during his lean years from his fellow team mates and peers. He's always been well liked and respected.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I dont get the sugarcoating of the contract-situations from some of our posters. Yes, Rooney is by definition a legend for all he did for the club and should be remembered as such, but that does not mean that we have to love him, and only remember the good things.

He did exceptional stuff for the club, performed amazingly over a number of years, gave his all and produced some insane numbers. He should be remembered as one of the greats of Manchester United, but there is absolutely cause for supporters not to love him as much other United legends.

Legend status or fan favorite should not have to be one and the same.
No one is saying that they're the same. A lot of people who agree that he's a legend have also said that he's left a bitter taste. It's the people who are saying he's not a legend that are the ones that are finding it hard to distinguish a difference. It's fine to dislike him but still recognise that his goal scoring record alone will define him as a club legend.

Nori-

Sorry I just fail to understand your thinking. You may dislike him but how can someone who broke his club and country scoring records NOT be a legend?
I think the word "Legend" is thrown around too easily and out of context. Yes, he was a great player for United and England but if he is a Legend, what are players like Giggs and Gerrard who spent their whole life at a single club? Rooney was at our club because of convenience, he was an exceptional player but he wouldn't have got the package we offered him anywhere else. In my opinion, if there was a better package elsewhere, he 100% would have gone. He doesn't have Man United running through his veins like Giggs does or Gerrard does with LFC. For that reason I don't think he is a Legend.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
No one is saying that they're the same. A lot of people who agree that he's a legend have also said that he's left a bitter taste. It's the people who are saying he's not a legend that are the ones that are finding it hard to distinguish a difference. It's fine to dislike him but still recognise that his goal scoring record alone will define him as a club legend.
Yupp, but then again we can see people who think he's a legend trying to gloss over the contract situation. I dont understand why it's so hard to aknowledge it was a shitty thing to do (twice), but still admit that he's a club legend but understandibly not a fan favorite for all.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Always used to bust a gut for the team when on the pitch and was one of my favourite players because of that. Thanks wazza, legend for me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the word "Legend" is thrown around too easily and out of context. Yes, he was a great player for United and England but if he is a Legend, what are players like Giggs and Gerrard who spent their whole life at a single club? Rooney was at our club because of convenience, he was an exceptional player but he wouldn't have got the package we offered him anywhere else. In my opinion, if there was a better package elsewhere, he 100% would have gone. He doesn't have Man United running through his veins like Giggs does or Gerrard does with LFC. For that reason I don't think he is a Legend.
IF he had gone he wouldn't have broken the record and I wouldn't have him pegged as a legend. However he stayed and broke the long standing record. Therefore he is a club legend.

If your club record scorer cannot be included in any definition of legend then I don't know what should. It certainly isn't a popularity contest.

Ryan Giggs is a club legend because he holds the club record for competitive appearances and played his full career at united.

tombombadil

Politely disagree, Sults. If the topic is judging the entirety of his career, anyone whose focus, or experience, is based on the shaky past 4 years shouldn't really offer an opinion.

Based on the past 4 seasons under Moyes, LvG and Mou, what would the opinions be on Rio, Vidic, Giggs, RvP, Evra?

Why should Rooney bear the brunt of responsibility for the past four years, then? Because he was still playing I suppose.

Personally, as someone who remembers Rooney bursting into the scene at Everton, watching him play for Everton and thinking, "My word, that's the best English attacking talent I've seen since Gascoigne, SAF simply must sign him up." I remember the thrill when we signed him, his debut, and all the joy he brought. Sure, I remember the contract negotiations, the metatarsals, and the last 4 seasons (honestly, I thought he was one of the few who could hold his high after the Moyes debacle, really it was under LvG when he was halfway reinvented as a midfielder and phased out under Jose that he really fell off IMO). But if the topic of the thread is his whole tenure here, I don't think anyone who is only concerned with, or only knows, the past 4 seasons has very much of a perspective to offer an opinion.

Legend? Absolutely.

Some of this lot bear more grudges than high court judges.
Exactly. I totally agree. I remember the same, as well. It's really sad to see how the boy wonder has ended up like this.

Another thing that gets me is that some people also forget that Rooney has been played left right up and down for major parts of his career.
E.g. Some people were criticizing him for his lack of goals when he actually played most of his games in central midfield that season.
He also played left wing during the Ronaldo era. It really lacks perspective. I think breaking that all time goal scoring record was important to remind everyone how prolific Rooney actually was.

As his physical abilities decline in his 30s, he'll need to either reinvent himself like Giggs and Scholes did or it's MLS/China/retirement for him. I hope he does.

slir32

Just because Wayne Rooney might not be the perfect human being or the most likeable character it doesn't change the fact that he is a legend. He broke multiple records and was with us over a decade he is a club legend.

tombombadil

I know they are bitters, but i just felt the song is apt for the occasion. :)

Just because Wayne Rooney might not be the perfect human being or the most likeable character it doesn't change the fact that he is a legend. He broke multiple records and was with us over a decade he is a club legend.
By all accounts he is a likeable guy. Well liked by players and coaching staff. I think his problem is he doesn't have the social media savvy and charisma as some other players.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
How the feck can people say that Wayne Rooney is not a Legend??

Utterly utterly un-fecking-believable.

This place is full of :houllier:

Sultan

I think there is definitely a confusion when discussing Rooney between likeness and respect for his achievements. No doubt, about his footballing prowess as a United player. I personally think had he left 4 years ago he would have been held in greater regard even though he would not have broken the United scoring record.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Is Sir Alex Ferguson a United legend? After all, there was that business with the horse sperm...

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The same Steven Gerrard that left to go to New York? That one?

Rooney joined United as a teenager, leaving his boyhood club, won everything there was to win with us, being a key part in that success, and has now left to go back to his boyhood club in his twilight years. He's broken goal scoring records for United and England, and devoted the best years of his playing career to play for United. If the club's record goal scorer that won 5 league titles, a Champions League, an FA Cup, 3 League Cups and a Europa League with us can't be considered a legend, then I don't really know who can.

By your logic, only homegrown Manchester-raised players can be considered legends, which is frankly, ridiculous.

Walters_19_MuFc

This shouldn't even be a question.

A legend is not based on how much a player is liked, but how much that player has contributed to the club.

Rooney has contributed massively and has won more or less everything there is to win at club level - all at United.

He is a legend, and will go down as one of our all time greats.

Sultan

How the feck can people say that Wayne Rooney is not a Legend??

Utterly utterly un-fecking-believable.

This place is full of :houllier:
If we all agreed on everything there would be no discussion. We'd just end up with replies with the words, I agree, or this...

Dyslexic Untied

He was undoubtedly a great player during his peak years and contributed to United's success immensely. However, my heart has never accepted him as a legend. That's just me, and it's not particularly based on football or his achievements. As I mentioned above, I have loved players who have achieved a lot less for some apparent reason.

Just my thoughts.
I am with you on this one. Same sentiments exactly.

Traub

That debut was probably the best I've seen of any United player. You just knew he was special at that moment.

Unfortunately his decline has coincided with United also falling off a cliff. If we were still successful during this period and he was a bit part player (like Giggs I suppose), his reputation wouldn't have been tarnished as much.

Lastly, the contract negotiations. First time around, I still maintain he was right. The team did seem to be stagnating at that point and he was by far and away our best player. It's a bit like Arsenal's situation when RVP joined us IMO. Plus he still stayed. The second time, well that was just good negotiations. Just wait till Pogba et al are up for renegotiations...

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
If we all agreed on everything would be no discussion. We'd just end up with replies with the words, I agree, or this...
I agree with the general sentiment, but this is something that shouldn't really be up for discussion, and it's baffling that people are even questioning it.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
He was undoubtedly a great player during his peak years and contributed to United's success immensely. However, my heart has never accepted him as a legend. That's just me, and it's not particularly based on football or his achievements. As I mentioned above, I have loved players who have achieved a lot less for some apparent reason.

Just my thoughts.
In one hundred percent agreement.

Nori-

IF he had gone he wouldn't have broken the record and I wouldn't have him pegged as a legend. However he stayed and broke the long standing record. Therefore he is a club legend.

If your club record scorer cannot be included in any definition of legend then I don't know what should. It certainly isn't a popularity contest.

Ryan Giggs is a club legend because he holds the club record for competitive appearances and played his full career at united.
Ok, so lets just hit the nail on the head here, if United couldn't offer Rooney the package they did, would he still be at the club? And if no, how can we put his status amoung players in Europe like Totti, Giggs etc, by calling him a "Legend".

The fact is, he is a Everton boy through and through, if Everton were as big as United, he wouldn't have made the move.

Saf94

I had a horrible feeling when he almost signed for Chelsea In 2013, I couldn't bare to think of Rooney playing for them cnuts under that cnut Jose, he was too important to lose in my mind and I still thought of him as world class.. Little did I know of the steep decline that was to follow. In retrospect he should have left then and his legacy Has been tarnished somewhat for some but not me, he'll still be remembered as my Favorite United player during our most successful period. What a legacy. What a player. Bye Wayne thanks for everything
His legacy would have been tarnished way way more if he left to go to Chelsea. He was still decent in the Moyes and early LVG years, think he still got around 15+ goals both those seasons.

The issue wasn't that he stayed, it was that LVG didn't phase him out properly. He should have gradually been phased out of the first team into an impact/bench player but instead LVG made him captain and undroppable. He played way too much in that second LVG season.

Anyway once he leaves everyone will forget his last 2 difficult years, people will just remember the unbelievable Rooney under Fergie.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
That debut was probably the best I've seen of any United player. You just knew he was special at that moment.

Unfortunately his decline has coincided with United also falling off a cliff. If we were still successful during this period and he was a bit part player (like Giggs I suppose), his reputation wouldn't have been tarnished as much.

Lastly, the contract negotiations. First time around, I still maintain he was right. The team did seem to be stagnating at that point and he was by far and away our best player. It's a bit like Arsenal's situation when RVP joined us IMO. Plus he still stayed. The second time, well that was just good negotiations. Just wait till Pogba et al are up for renegotiations...
We still laud Ronaldo who spent pretty much his entire time at the club telling us he was going to go to Real Madrid, but doing it an annoying "only god knows" manner. There's a great deal of hypocrisy that goes on with Rooney because a number of people simply don't like him as a person, but for some reason won't just admit to that.

Dyslexic Untied

This shouldn't even be a question.

A legend is not based on how much a player is liked, but how much that player has contributed to the club.

Rooney has contributed massively and has won more or less everything there is to win at club level - all at United.

He is a legend, and will go down as one of our all time greats.
Not sure that there is universal acceptance of that definition of a legend. I for one think it is relevant to also consider other factors than performance on the pitch. Likeability, x factor or whatever is one of the reasons why the likes of Ole, Patrice etc are so revered.

dogwithabone

I know, right? It's funny sometimes.

Split opinion? What split opinion? 84% - 16% at last check. :p

Hilarious quotes. :lol:

I know what you mean. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't expect players and managers to be loyal when the fans themselves lack loyalty and behave in such a ...... negative manner.

For me, I choose to celebrate the good memories he has shared with us at the club and wish him well.

PS: That bit in bold is perfect. :lol:

Surely 84% - 16% is split opinion ? No ? Is 51% - 49% split opinion ?

If you had a poll asking is Charlton, Best, Cantona, Giggs a club legend then you'd never, in a million years, get 16% saying 'no'.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Ok, so lets just hit the nail on the head here, if United couldn't offer Rooney the package they did, would he still be at the club? And if no, how can we put his status amoung players in Europe like Totti, Giggs etc, by calling him a "Legend".

The fact is, he is a Everton boy through and through, if Everton were as big as United, he wouldn't have made the move.
That's ridiculous logic. Had Leeds not gone through all the financial trouble they went through and built stronger teams, we'd have likely never have signed Ferdinand. If Monaco were as good as they are now, we may never have signed Evra. If football in Northern Ireland was much better in the 60s, George Best may have stayed there.

You think Liverpool fans don't regard Dalglish as a legend because he grew up supporting Rangers and played for Celtic before joining them?

It's fecking daft.

Nori-

The same Steven Gerrard that left to go to New York? That one?

Rooney joined United as a teenager, leaving his boyhood club, won everything there was to win with us, being a key part in that success, and has now left to go back to his boyhood club in his twilight years. He's broken goal scoring records for United and England, and devoted the best years of his playing career to play for United. If the club's record goal scorer that won 5 league titles, a Champions League, an FA Cup, 3 League Cups and a Europa League with us can't be considered a legend, then I don't really know who can.

By your logic, only homegrown Manchester-raised players can be considered legends, which is frankly, ridiculous.
You cant be serious? You consider going to play in the U.S treachery? Most clubs in Europe would have taken him that year, he is even said he had lots of offers, but refused if it meant there was a chance he could end up facing Liverpool. His move to the US was strictly a retirement plan, I wouldn't consider it a career move. His career started and ended at Liverpool.

tombombadil

I agree with the general sentiment, but this is something that shouldn't really be up for discussion, and it's baffling that people are even questioning it.
The main issue, I suppose is that some people are defining the words "club legend" to mean a player that they like. Which is wrong.

Club legends are players who contributed to the club.
E.g. All time record scorers, one club men, etc.
And there is no debate about this. Wayne Rooney has contributed massively to the club throughout his more than 10 years here and is therefore a club legend.
If his contributions were borderline, I could understand the debate, but they aren't. So it's difficult for me to emphatize with those arguing he isn't.

Nori-

That's ridiculous logic. Had Leeds not gone through all the financial trouble they went through and built stronger teams, we'd have likely never have signed Ferdinand. If Monaco were as good as they are now, we may never have signed Evra. If football in Northern Ireland was much better in the 60s, George Best may have stayed there.

You think Liverpool fans don't regard Dalglish as a legend because he grew up supporting Rangers and played for Celtic before joining them?

It's fecking daft.

They can consider Dalglish a Legend all they want, the fact is people want legends at their club, they want to be part of something special and will cut corners or exaggerate something to suit their agendas. In my opinion, a "Legend" is reserved for a very very small group of players who are truly special and don't come around that often. Maybe it just comes down to what you qualify as a legend and what I do.

Traub

We still laud Ronaldo who spent pretty much his entire time at the club telling us he was going to go to Real Madrid, but doing it an annoying "only god knows" manner. There's a great deal of hypocrisy that goes on with Rooney because a number of people simply don't like him as a person, but for some reason won't just admit to that.
Yeah it's a bit ridiculous. I suppose it's because Ronaldo will go down as one of the GOAT. He also lacks that charisma of an absolute superstar.

Between them, Raiola and Mendes will demand keys to the club.
Times have changed, and I think a lot of people are in for a huge shock over the next decade.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You cant be serious? You consider going to play in the U.S treachery? Most clubs in Europe would have taken him that year, he is even said he had lots of offers, but refused if it meant there was a chance he could end up facing Liverpool. His move to the US was strictly a retirement plan, I wouldn't consider it a career move. His career started and ended at Liverpool.
He signed for another club. By the very definition he wasn't a one club man. You're so hung up about comparisons to Totti and Giggs, who legitimately spent their entire careers at one club, yet give Gerrard (this Gerrard:
) a free ride because it doesn't fit your narrative not to.

To argue against Rooney being a United legend on the basis that he might have gone elsewhere, or may have stayed at Everton is just insane. He didn't do either of those things, and devoted the best years of his career (and more) to Manchester United, becoming the club's all-time top goalscorer in the process. To make out that Rooney has no affection for the club is absurd.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They can consider Dalglish a Legend all they want, the fact is people want legends at their club, they want to be part of something special and will cut corners or exaggerate something to suit their agendas. In my opinion, a "Legend" is reserved for a very very small group of players who are truly special and don't come around that often. Maybe it just comes down to what you qualify as a legend and what I do.
Hang on, are you genuinely saying that Dalglish isn't a Liverpool legend?