Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If he manages to pull it of it genuinely makes him manger of the year candidate and im being serious

He'd also be immortalized in derby i really hope he pulls it off

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Hope some EPL club gambles on him. Really want him back in EPL.

Ludens the Red

Must admit, never thought he had the brains to succeed as a manager, but fair play to him he seems to be doing a cracking job.
Footballing intelligence is a very different thing to just….. normal intelligence.
At that level you don’t need to be particularly sophisticated to do well anyway. See Harry Redknapp and Neil Warnock.

The White Pele

What I find most impressive is how few goals they concede. For such an inexperienced manager he seems to have got them very organised despite the lack of quality at his disposal.

On the downside, they don’t seem to score too many and some of their best results seem to have been low-possession, backs-to-the-wall affairs.

Hopefully he can add a couple of players in January and do the improbable.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Another victory tonight.

The miracle really is on....

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Only 3 teams have conceded less goals and they’re 3 of the top 4. Conceded half the amount Peterborough have who are 22nd.

Idxomer

He really is doing great.

He went right away from being a player to becoming a manager and Derby was and still is in complete disarray. He does seem to have the right character to succeed as a manager.

RUCK4444

Impressive from Wayne, if he pulls this off it would be a complete miracle.

His playing days indicated a very good brain for the game and he’s clearly transferring that well to management. His stature in the game commands respect as well which you assume helps get your points across to players.

Really hope he can keep this up and keep progressing in management.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Impressive from Wayne, if he pulls this off it would be a complete miracle.

His playing days indicated a very good brain for the game and he’s clearly transferring that well to management. His stature in the game commands respect as well which you assume helps get your points across to players.

Really hope he can keep this up and keep progressing in management.
Tbf he probably walks on to the training pitch and passes a 40 yard switch ball to the right wing and asks how many of the players can do that 4 times a game, every game with almost perfect execution.

Oranges038

Only 3 teams have conceded less goals and they’re 3 of the top 4. Conceded half the amount Peterborough have who are 22nd.
Really helps that he has managed to get two of the most experienced centre backs in the league playing together almost every week.

It will be hard for him to hold onto players in January and try to get a few more in. Not sure if they can do much in terms of bringing in players with the current situation, but if they get offers for players out of contract in the summer, the club might just have to cash in on a few of them.

9 of his players from last night are out of contract in the next 6 months. Overall there's almost 20 players who are in the last few months of their contracts. Jagielka and Baldock's contracts are in up in just a few weeks. Jagielka would be a massive loss to that defence.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dont expect them to survive, but if they do, he'd probably win manager of the year.

Irrespective, I do think he'll be getting a PL job next season

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
In the Championship, as long as you're not planning to play a high line, having ludicrously experienced centre-backs is a wonderful thing.

Rooney has got them further organised and has been impressive. If only he was able to attain good attacking talent.

Last edited:

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
If they can keep up current form they might just make it, could go to the last day of the season. It would be Jimmy Glass at Carlisle stuff if he got them out of it. The biggest credit to Rooney though is just sticking with Derby after the deduction and getting on with the job, that showed real grit as it could have really messed up his managerial career before it even started. Would Pep hang around long at City if they got a massive points deduction that seen them heading for relagation?

Everton could do a lot worse as I don't see Benitez in that job next season.

Giggs' right foot

Curious - FlashScore doesn’t list Rooney as manager today. It says Rosenior. Is this an error or is Rooney absent?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This might be tin-foil hat stuff, or maybe i'm just not looking in the right places - but does anyone else think Rooney as Derby Manager (and doing pretty well all things considered) going under the radar a bit? I'm comparing this to like, when Lampard was their... I felt like you constantly heard about how great he was, where as it doesn't seem that Rooney gets anywhere near the same treatment.

I might be totally wrong though. I usually am.

RUCK4444

This might be tin-foil hat stuff, or maybe i'm just not looking in the right places - but does anyone else think Rooney as Derby Manager (and doing pretty well all things considered) going under the radar a bit? I'm comparing this to like, when Lampard was their... I felt like you constantly heard about how great he was, where as it doesn't seem that Rooney gets anywhere near the same treatment.

I might be totally wrong though. I usually am.
No I agree with that. I mean we know here on the caf because it's something that's talked about, but were not hearing much elsewhere like we were when Lampard was there.

Probably until he does the miracle and keeps them up at which point the media will pressure us into giving him the United job :D

marktan

Probably be hard though given that alongside not being able to sign any players on loan, they're now actively loosing players (Jagielka) as they can't renew contracts.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nah I think he'll stick it out, he has a chance at football immortality if it all goes right.
No chance Derby stay up - they'd need to get to 64-66 odd points from 46 games (to offset the 21 point penalty) and with the side they have and the current points total, it doesn't look likely . Although I do think he'll stay there till the end of this season

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It's insane enough that he has an ever depleting squad of players in a position where they should be mid table.

Everton job will come too soon for him but he should be a prime candidate to take over a side with their act together after this season.

marktan

No chance Derby stay up - they'd need to get to 64-66 odd points from 46 games (to offset the 21 point penalty) and with the side they have and the current points total, it doesn't look likely . Although I do think he'll stay there till the end of this season
It's not impossible, they draw a lot of games and rarely ever lose by more than a goal so defensively they're solid, they just need to convert some of those draws to wins. They've shown recently they can beat the upper table teams. It's a tough ask but given there's lots of games left all they need is a run of 2 wins and they're right back in the mix.

That's of course with their pre-Jan team, I think the may be loosing a few more players as they can't renew players currently.

Rex Banner

Winning again today. Will be off the bottom of the table if it stays like this.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tom Lawrence with two very very good goals. Have to say, old Wazza is really doing better than I expected as a manager, fair to play to him and the Rams.

marktan

Tom Lawrence turning into Ronaldinho for the two goals, you love to see it

Rex Banner

Even if they don't stay up, he's done a really good job this season. Never really pegged him as a future manager when he was playing tbh but excited to see where he goes from here.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Don't you believe in miracles :)

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Might go and watch them against Brum in 2 weeks. Football is pretty nice on the eye and it's a decent atmosphere, far too early to say 'Future United Manager' but wherever he goes after Derby, he's had a rough but very educational induction into football management and he's stuck with it, fair play to old Wazza