Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Thanks. Yes, its obviously a big worry re Rooney moving on because he's had so much to contend with and so many false dawns regarding ownership and promised opportunities to reinforce the paper thin squad and he has shown incredible patience throughout. On the other Rooney thread folks were commenting about it being a free hit and while that is certainly true I still think by any reckoning that what has been achieved so far has been an amazing effort and I just hope it isn't all in vain. If he does leave though I honestly don't think anyone could blame him with what he's had to put up with but obviously we really hope he sticks it out and we are allowed to pull off something truly remarkable given the points deductions. The siege mentality has definitely kicked in but we are all just desperate to get some kind of future secured for the club. Buyers are seemingly somehow still interested and we just need to be allowed to get it done.
I read that efl may force you to give rooney up as the 8mil severance payment will help you get out of administration, so either way it may be a good thing for you guys. But again I think rooney is the type who relishes the challenge, we'll see.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A difficult situation

But also not very special

They would be 9th in the championship that is the exactly value of their team
You do realize they couldn't sign anyone apart from free agents in the summer and one of those just had his contract terminated? As the Derby fan above puts it, they are a team mostly of academy lads and old journeymen. 9th is by no means the exact value of this team, and if they somehow stay up I think it would be one of the most fantastic footballing stories of recent times.

RU Devil

Rooting for Rooney & Derby. Appreciate that he showed a bit of loyalty to a club in danger of being winded up. Him leaving for Everton would have been easy for him, but definitely would have put another nail in Derby's coffin.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rooting for Rooney & Derby. Appreciate that he showed a bit of loyalty to a club in danger of being winded up. Him leaving for Everton would have been easy for him, but definitely would have put another nail in Derby's coffin.
Yeah it shows the type of character that he is — at least when it comes to his professional life. Certainly a great trait to have in that line of work so I have high hopes for him but Derby are playing good football too with what little they have.

IRN-BRUno

Good decision from him. As well as he's done at Derby given their issues, it's likely he'll end up with a relegation on his CV. He needs to make sure his next club has a stable situation and right now Everton certainly doesn't provide that.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Good decision from him. As well as he's done at Derby given their issues, it's likely he'll end up with a relegation on his CV. He needs to make sure his next club has a stable situation and right now Everton certainly doesn't provide that.
Only an idiot would look at his profile and go, "omg he has a relegation here, let's not investigate the circumstances further"

Robertd0803

Only an idiot would look at his profile and go, "omg he has a relegation here, let's not investigate the circumstances further"
Exactly. I think even Pep and Klopp would be given a free pass if they got relegated with this Derby side considering the mess they find themselves in.

Fair play to Rooney turning down the Everton job.

crossy1686

career ending
Always the most likely outcome. Derby is a free hit for him. They go down, literally nothing he could have done with all things considered, they stay up and he’s a legend.

Joining Everton now in this mess is a fast track to getting fired and setting your career back years, especially when he’s never managed a club with any form of expectations. I’d like to see him handle a club that’s expected to get promoted first for example, this Derby stint doesn’t tell us an awful lot about him as a manager.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Massive respect for him, say whatever you want about the man and he certainly has his faults and his vices but you can't doubt his character.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Thank god for Rooney. He's the only thing we can use to counteract the fact that Gerrard looks decent.

Class move staying at Derby.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He has a real chance at legend status with a big club like Derby. He would be mad not to see it out. It will be one of the biggest achievements in this era if he pulls it off.

Paxi

Exactly. I think even Pep and Klopp would be given a free pass if they got relegated with this Derby side considering the mess they find themselves in.

Fair play to Rooney turning down the Everton job.
Klopp has been relegated too I think.

Paxi

Always the most likely outcome. Derby is a free hit for him. They go down, literally nothing he could have done with all things considered, they stay up and he’s a legend.

Joining Everton now in this mess is a fast track to getting fired and setting your career back years, especially when he’s never managed a club with any form of expectations. I’d like to see him handle a club that’s expected to get promoted first for example, this Derby stint doesn’t tell us an awful lot about him as a manager.
I think it does tell us that he can sep up his teams to play good football. I heard on a podcast that players really listen to what he has to say and have enormous amount respect for him. A name will only get you so far in management and I don’t think he’s dining off it at all — he’s earned the respect of his players.

The Derby fans, whom were against this appointment have all been converted and are now singing his praises. If he had slightly better players and minus the deductible points — he’d in and around the play offs I think.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Yup, his reputation can only go up from sticking with Derby with all the bullshit surrounding the club.

Leave them at the end of the season and the Everton job might be available again.

IRN-BRUno

True. But most football clubs are owned by idiots. :)

Not really comparing the two of them but Sol Campbell did a decent job at Macclesfield despite them being in a similar position to Derby financially. Went to Southend who were another side in a complete mess, gets relegated and hasn't been able to get a job since.

I just think Rooney's next step should be at a reasonably comfortable club, he won't be short of offers this time but could be after that if he makes the wrong move.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
True. But most football clubs are owned by idiots. :)

Not really comparing the two of them but Sol Campbell did a decent job at Macclesfield despite them being in a similar position to Derby financially. Went to Southend who were another side in a complete mess, gets relegated and hasn't been able to get a job since.

I just think Rooney's next step should be at a reasonably comfortable club, he won't be short of offers this time but could be after that if he makes the wrong move.
Ha, fair point.

TheLiverBird

In a footballing world where loyalty is lacking and money is King, to turn down his boyhood club and no doubt bigger wages for team facing relegation and even very slightly potentially liquidation…..what a breath of fresh air this is too see.

Credit to Rooney, very admirable decision

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In a footballing world where loyalty is lacking and money is King, to turn down his boyhood club and no doubt bigger wages for team facing relegation and even very slightly potentially liquidation…..what a breath of fresh air this is too see.

Credit to Rooney, very admirable decision
Agree but there’s definitely an element of cynicism there. It’s a free hit for him. If he keeps them up he’s a legend and he’s going to have a lot of offers coming in. If they go down, so what? His profile has still be boosted as a loyal and committed manager.

Whatever happens he’s going to have offers in the summer and the opportunity to take over a club with a transfer window and a preseason ahead of him. Saying yes to Everton right now is managerial suicide.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Agree but there’s definitely an element of cynicism there. It’s a free hit for him. If he keeps them up he’s a legend and he’s going to have a lot of offers coming in. If they go down, so what? His profile has still be boosted as a loyal and committed manager.

Whatever happens he’s going to have offers in the summer and the opportunity to take over a club with a transfer window and a preseason ahead of him. Saying yes to Everton right now is managerial suicide.
Still it is the smart decision to build his reputation for the long term and to not use the fast track into the PL and to more money.

And I'll be honest when I think about Rooney "smart" isn't the first word that comes into my mind, so at least for me it's already working :lol:

mav_9me

Exactly. It's smart... But not necessarily brave to turn down Everton. As you said Derby County is a free hit, and Everton would be a huge challenge.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
87th & 95 minutes goals to rescue a point after being 0-2 today!
Great comeback, their GD is 0 but you look at the teams around them and their negative gd, got to give the manager some credit, without the points deduction, I'd say Wayne has been doing great with the squad he has it's quite remarkable for a first-timer let's say

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Taking the Everton job is a lose-lose situation for him. Everton have strangely high expectations and he'd never get them Europe. Finishing 10th at Everton wouldn't be enough.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Glad to hear he feels he can be more open now. Definitely the biggest surprise for me of the golden generation players. Seems to have really matured and taken coaching seriously as he’s gotten older

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
( I am impressed by how much Rooney has matured. I still remember him as a raw brutal force of nature that swears at referees! ... )

Wayne Rooney: 'I would actually lock myself away and just drink'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60275555
I mentioned on her numerous times I think he had a problem with drink and I think that’s what ultimately took it’s toll on his body. It wasn’t the ankle injury against Bayern or the broken metatarsals. You could see his entire body declined and combined with the stories of him drinking 10+ pints on international duty on his “day off” (you’ve got to be a very regular drinker to handle 10 pints!) it was clear that it was his main issue.

It’s just such a shame that the club wasn’t able to spot this and get to the root of his demons. I’ve always thought James Milner is a good bench mark for how Rooney could have maintained himself physically. About the same age, started playing at 16/17 and were physically mature early, similar body type and they just looked after themselves differently.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mentioned on her numerous times I think he had a problem with drink and I think that’s what ultimately took it’s toll on his body. It wasn’t the ankle injury against Bayern or the broken metatarsals. You could see his entire body declined and combined with the stories of him drinking 10+ pints on international duty on his “day off” (you’ve got to be a very regular drinker to handle 10 pints!) it was clear that it was his main issue.

It’s just such a shame that the club wasn’t able to spot this and get to the root of his demons. I’ve always thought James Milner is a good bench mark for how Rooney could have maintained himself physically. About the same age, started playing at 16/17 and were physically mature early, similar body type and they just looked after themselves differently.
The one and only time I ever had “ITK” knowledge about a United player was when a friend of a friend was taken on by Rooney’s team as a ‘fixer’ when he travelled to New York on a stag. This was a guy who was quite deep in the party scene over there, so had seen a lot bad behaviour. He was absolutely staggered at the amount of booze (and the rest!) put away by Rooney and his mates.