Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Looks like he's done now. 3 defeats in a row. 8 points behind Reading with a game extra played.
The next game against Barnsley seems pivotal for them. They either go above Barnsley or drop 5 points behind. The games other teams have in hand definitely make it an uphill task and It does appear they are reliant on other teams results doing them a favour though.

IRN-BRUno

Reading getting Lucas Joao back fit was a massive boost to them. He'd been out for 5 months and has 6 goals in 8 starts since returning.

Only 7 points from the last 9 games for Derby as well, almost looks as though they dropped off just as they got to the point where staying up actually looked possible. Until then there was no real pressure on them.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Hoping it works out for him, felt he got a rough ride from the media.

I'll never forget his performances from Euro 2004, he was a force of nature that tournament.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Reading getting Lucas Joao back fit was a massive boost to them. He'd been out for 5 months and has 6 goals in 8 starts since returning.

Only 7 points from the last 9 games for Derby as well, almost looks as though they dropped off just as they got to the point where staying up actually looked possible. Until then there was no real pressure on them.
Think that's a bit unfair. They lost Jagielka in Jan because they couldn't afford his salary. They were always going to drop off a bit from that. And they basically needed promotion form to stay up.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I actually haven't had the opportunity to see any Derby games, but his assistant manager was on the daily football podcast a few weeks ago and was talking about Rooney's work, his man management, tactical approach... And seemed insistent on making the point that they have a very proactive and entertaining approach to games, and try to take the game to their opponents. For those who watch them, is that the case? Do they actually set out on the front foot in general?

From an outsider's perspective, with the hand he'd been dealt before this season, it seems like he's doing a great job, recent results notwithstanding, and fair play to him for sticking around when it would've been quite understandable to jump ship (though I'm not surprised, given his character as a player).

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I actually haven't had the opportunity to see any Derby games, but his assistant manager was on the daily football podcast a few weeks ago and was talking about Rooney's work, his man management, tactical approach... And seemed insistent on making the point that they have a very proactive and entertaining approach to games, and try to take the game to their opponents. For those who watch them, is that the case? Do they actually set out on the front foot in general?

From an outsider's perspective, with the hand he'd been dealt before this season, it seems like he's doing a great job, recent results notwithstanding, and fair play to him for sticking around when it would've been quite understandable to jump ship (though I'm not surprised, given his character as a player).
Yes, they are very possession dominant in a lot of games.
Aggressive in the tackle, like to win the ball high up and play on the front foot .

They tend to rely on a few players for a creative spark (Lawrence for example) but that's understandable considering the players they have at their disposal.

The job Rooney and his team have done with what is essentially a cobbles together team is nothing short of excellent.

Jackal981

This man is a miracle worker. Who would have thought Ravel could play in Championship level after all these wasted years. My favourite United player too. Hope one day he can manage us

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
More or less down and out now. Need to win 5 out of 7 games to even have a half chance. 21 points was a bridge too far.

CraftySoAndSo

More or less down and out now. Need to win 5 out of 7 games to even have a half chance. 21 points was a bridge too far.
I think right now Derby's main priority is continuing to exist rather than relegation tbf.

L1nk

Would love to see it one day if he continues to impress

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His interview today is brilliant, well worth a read.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Would love to see it one day if he continues to impress

Needs to learn to walk before he can run...

Should learn from other English managerial failures and learn his trade as an assistant to a top coach. Also needs to become a student of the game full time.

Got to be humble too, being a great player does not a great manager make.

MattofManchester

Should learn from other English managerial failures and learn his trade as an assistant to a top coach. Also needs to become a student of the game full time.

He said he's not ready yet, so he knows he's got a lot of steps ahead?

Also, what's not humble about what he said? He's got aspirations and he's confident about reaching them, while humbling himself that he has a long way to go.

I'm confused by what you're suggesting here, as he's literally shown all those things you suggested he "needs" to show.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

I think that's pretty much what he said.

MUFC OK

I’m sorry but what the hell was Rooney on tonight? Suggesting we should appoint Poch and that “we have good young players like mctominay and lingard” who we should build the team around, whilst selling Ronaldo. :houllier:

Wants us to fail so that in 2 years the job is his?

Last edited:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I’m sorry but what the hell was Rooney on tonight? Suggesting we should appoint Poch and that “we have good young players like mctominay and lingard” who we should build the team around, whilst selling Ronaldo. :houllier:

Wants us to fail so that in 2 years the job is his?
Probably drunk.

Chairman Steve

He’s talking them up so he can coax them to coming to Derby. Nice 4D chess there Wayne :)

Tarrou

I clicked on a link telling me to watch Rooney’s brilliant analysis of why United were wrong to sign Ronaldo. So played the clip and it was basically just Wayne saying Ronaldo was too old.

CloneMC16

I clicked on a link telling me to watch Rooney’s brilliant analysis of why United were wrong to sign Ronaldo. So played the clip and it was basically just Wayne saying Ronaldo was too old.
Well, he's right about that. The worrying part is he thinks McTominay and Lingard are young, and the team should be built around them. He wants the United job and has thoughts like that :nervous:

Tarrou

Well, he's right about that. The worrying part is he thinks McTominay and Lingard are young, and the team should be built around them. He wants the United job and has thoughts like that :nervous:
Yeah I know, it’s just strange that it was described as brilliant analysis

I hope Wayne does well in his career but I doubt he’ll reach his goal of managing United

lsd

The Oracle
I don't think he called Lingard young player, he just said Lingard needs to play more, which is weird enough.

Also he did said Ronaldo is a great goal scorer but overall he isn't the same player. So he is saying what everyone else is saying.

Wait our most toxic fans totally misinterpreting what he said because he didn't endorse Ten Hag?

Well I never

Josh 76

The issue was not the answer, it was the question.

Rooney was asked what needs changing, and he said they have a good group of young players to build on. He named Sancho, Rashford, then he must have thought, feck, who else.
So he named, Lingard, Mctomminy and Maguire . How depressing !

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's all good and well saying Mourinho was really good with the academy, but there isn't actually any evidence of that. He integrated 1 player in 2.5 years, that's objectively bad. Maybe Butt did think he was really good but Butt was also overlooked for 2 important senior roles at the club so someone clearly doesn't think Butt's opinion is worth much.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Reading beat Stoke tonight, leaves Derby 9 points from safety with only 6 to play.

Needs a miracle, although they've pretty much needed one of those all season.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Derby really do play some stunning football.
Both goals tonight we're exceptional.

The two R's at Derby really are making a great team.