Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

slored1

Well done Wazza. Would not have thought that he will make a good manager, but kudos to him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No chance Derby stay up - they'd need to get to 64-66 odd points from 46 games (to offset the 21 point penalty) and with the side they have and the current points total, it doesn't look likely . Although I do think he'll stay there till the end of this season
I think they can get it done. Their season trajectory after 26 matches sees them at 62,5 points. Things can happen between now and then, but theres every chance that Cardiff, Reading or Hull decides to implode.

If this continues, Reading will stop at 38 points, Cardiff at 39 and Derby at 40.

Honestly this is the most exciting thing in Britsh football this season by far.

It will take a lot of course. Derbys squad is ricepaper thin and a big injury can spell catastrophe.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If they get the takeover done in the next couple of days then they can move quick to get some loans in. They are gonna end up doing this I think.

flameinthesun

Would like to see him at a prem club after this season. If he can repeat the over achievements at a prem club whilst playing good football then he's got a future here.

The signs of a future great manager is overachieving relative to the clubs expectations. Lets see if he can keep this up!

prateik

I think they can get it done. Their season trajectory after 26 matches sees them at 62,5 points. Things can happen between now and then, but theres every chance that Cardiff, Reading or Hull decides to implode.

If this continues, Reading will stop at 38 points, Cardiff at 39 and Derby at 40.

Honestly this is the most exciting thing in Britsh football this season by far.

It will take a lot of course. Derbys squad is ricepaper thin and a big injury can spell catastrophe.
Reading have -6 as well.. so their points/game is higher.. they should be on 28 from 25 games.. they should be safe.

Cardiff or Hull have to implode and Derby have to keep going.. very tough.. Even harder with their squad depth and transfer situation

Chipper

Adulterer.
Done this a few times for what little it's worth. Points per game so far projected across the rest of the season, not taking anything like fixtures into account.

Hull 44
Cardiff 42
--------
Derby 41
Peterborough 36
Barnsley 27

I'd say they have a chance now.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I hope they stay up, he's doing a cracking job under tough circumstances

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Unbelievable result today.

The miracle really is on.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I hope he keeps them up but "fans" like this don't deserve good times:

Derby fan here, we were incredibly grateful when he finished his playing career as he was absolutely woeful for us despite picking up a gigantic pay cheque ever week (£100k/week as a Championship player...), his signing (orchestrated by our chairman) undermined our then manager Cocu who had a player he didn't want, couldn't drop and was being touted for his own job by the media every week (it was a total circus, all against the backdrop of our name change to "Rooney's Rams". You do realise we were going okay until Rooney came in? He captained us to bottom of the league as a player, took over as manager and has averaged 1 point per game since he took over. We survived because Wednesday were docked 6 points and Rotherham who have a fraction of our resources drew after a 89th min equaliser at Cardiff. Our last 7 games were lost 6 in a row, draw at home to bottom of the league and Rooney "saved us" apparently.

Say what you like about entitled, we're obviously not Man United or top 6 but nonetheless we're a proud historic club with strong traditions, one of the 12 founder members of the football league, played most of our history in the top flight and one of only a handful of clubs to win all domestic trophies...and yes we feel we deserve better than the nightmare that has been the Wayne Rooney show since he dropped into town. We didn't ask for any of the media attention Rooney has garnered us, same went for Lampard too but at least he performed better.

Sviken

Happy for him. Also...

give it Wayne till end of t'season

Devil81

It wouldn't surprise me if Everton come knocking in the next few weeks.

He will have serious decision to make at that point, does he stay loyal to a possible miracle and lads he's pieced together or does he follow a childhood dream?

lsd

The Oracle
I was surprised he stayed at Derby this season but all credit to him and he has done a fantastic job in the circumstances

Wilt

Wayne now favourite for next Everton manager :eek:

Get in there lad!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If he pulls that off, I'll want him over ETH or Poch as our next manager. That's how big the achievement would be
  • Former Molde manager (+relegated with Cardiff)
  • 63y old former Lokomotiv Moscow DoF.
  • Former Derby County manager
Why the hell not.
If they get the takeover done in the next couple of days then they can move quick to get some loans in. They are gonna end up doing this I think.
They can't I think. The transfer ban is a penalty. Its not about them not having the money for loans right now and I'm pretty sure transfers/loans can't be financed directly through outside money.
I hope he keeps them up but "fans" like this don't deserve good times:
It's a shit take. Cocu appreciated having Rooney.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Hope he doesn’t leave Derby this season - the job he’s doing is amazing, even if it is ultimately doomed, I think he’s impressing tremendously in the circumstances.

Everton can wait.

Atheist

Just have to read up how Derby fans feel about him - he's done an incredible job so far. Even in a normal season, they'd be in contention for playoffs if not for the point deductions. And with that squad, that's remarkable. Hopefully he continues to make progress in his managerial career. I could see him in contention for the manager of the year in the championship regardless of the outcome at the end of the season.

Reactions: Invictus

Abraxas

Everton would be bloody mental. It wouldn't surprise me, but it'd be mental.

This is great experience for Rooney. Awful circumstances, not great for setting out any kind of vision for a club or developing acumen in the market as everything is out of his hands but it's a serious test of his credentials in terms of dealing with players and getting a team playing. Needs time to develop as a coach.

VivaRonaldo85

I don’t know why but I never saw him doing such a good job. He has surprised me and in such difficult circumstances at Derby.

GueRed

We don’t want turn on Wayne. Hopefully to see him here one day though, but we are at a very dark spell.
He was already made scapegoat by a lot on here and those full-time Devils clowns McKola and Howson during the Van Gaal era

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why are there reports out there about Derby potentially being liquidated? Can someone give me a quick summary of what the feck is going on at that club? I followed them quite a bit when Lampard was there and they seemed to be a club in a decent situation. What's changed?

phelans shorts

Why are there reports out there about Derby potentially being liquidated? Can someone give me a quick summary of what the feck is going on at that club? I followed them quite a bit when Lampard was there and they seemed to be a club in a decent situation. What's changed?
They were spending money they didn’t have when Lampard was there. Propping up the balance sheets with stuff like the owner buying the ground off the club for ludicrous sums that just didn’t exist if memory serves.

Chipper

Adulterer.
As far I understand it when Lampard was there, perhaps before that too they were massively overspending and gambling they'd get promoted with all the wealth that it brings. Even Rooney's contract when he went there was huge, I imagine Cocu was on a decent payday for the Championship as well.

They just screwed themselves financially.

All coming home to roost now with the points deductions, being skint, in administration and now transfer embargoes.

They need to get some quick funding or have someone buy the club so they can satisy the league that they have enough money to fulfil their fixtures. Mike Ashley supposedly interested.

Crick

It's the old Leeds United in the 90's / 00's play. Spend money you don't have, use a creative accountant to hid it and try to get success quickly and pay it back before anyone notices.

Most championship/now League One clubs have tried this in the last 5 years to get to that sweet, sweet Premier League money hence all the points deductions. This is why most want a fairer redistribution of the Premier League money down the pyramid (to around 25%) and getting rid of parachute payments which make it worse (except the 14 in the Premier League who vote against it everytime).

FujiVice

If he keeps them up, surely he has to win LMA manager of the year? What achievement comes close to this with such little resources?

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Home loss for Hull just is a good result for Derby.

::sonny::

A difficult situation

But also not very special

They would be 9th in the championship that is the exactly value of their team

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Derby has until February 1st to come up with £7 million pounds, or they face expulsion from the English football system.

Put that on top of transferban and the -21 points they were awarded thus far on top of the paper thin squad.

What a wild ride.

Alty_Ram

Supports
Derby County
Hi All, Rams fan here. I thought I'd do my best with newbie rights to explain the absolute carnage at DCFC as best I can. I'm no expert on all the legal ins and outs but I'll do my best.

Firstly, let's be clear, Derby have been run very poorly for some time now. Debt has stacked up and the previous owner Mel Morris bailed and left us in the mire. Above and beyond living beyond our means the EFL specifically raised an issue of how player values are run down over the life of contract (amortisation). Derby employed a method that while perfectly legal was different to other clubs who use a straight line amortisation whereas Derby weighted theirs to shift which period the cost falls in and the EFL belatedly decided that this was not a level playing field and slapped us with a 9 point penalty which the club has now accepted. On top of this our debts had spiralled because as you know it is not easy to make any money in the EFL in any case and our tendency to overpay for players in both fees and wages contributed hugely to this. We then slipped into administration and were slapped with another 12 points for a total of 21 point deduction. Once again, while we are obviously not happy about this as fans we reluctantly recognise due process.

Anyway, a deal was struck with the EFL that if we accepted the 9 point penalty rather than drag out through further appeals then effectively a line will be drawn under the whole mess and we can get on with seeking new ownership. I summary, we feel that we have taken our medicine and now want to move on. This is where it got complicated... Since Derby had been found guilty of use of a non-standard amortisation policy and the Boro chairman who has a long running bitter feud with our ex chairman Mel Morris has decided that they could have been promoted the season that we got into the playoffs and therefore DCFC should pay them compensation reportedly up to 45 million (yep...) which for a club in administration is just insane. we don't have 45p never mind £45 million and the precedent set for all tiers of the leagues could be catastrophic. Also, on a very basic level, we didn't win the playoffs so why would they ?

So, given that our ex chairman has left with the ownership of the ground there is precious little asset left apart from a few of our better academy lads who are playing a huge part in a frankly heroic effort to overcome the 21 point penalty. The perception for a while amongst Derby fans is therefore that the Boro claim is simply a continuation of an ongoing feud between chairmen and therefore just a vindictive attempt to disrupt a potential takeover by making it unviable for any buyer. Bear in mind that none of the action by Boro and a lesser claim by Wycombe have been raised as a lawsuit, just a threat. Fast forward to us finding buyers who are willing to take on the club with debts and all and as a final kick in the nuts, the EFL are now refusing to accept us coming out of administration with a new buyer as an end to the matter and are threatening to take away our 'Golden Share' (our league place) by Feb 1st if we do not settle with Boro and Wycombe, cases that have not be brought yet and not proven (and in my opinion highly unlikely to be). To cap it all, the EFL board who are blocking our rescue and exit from administration have a representative from Boro as one of the 3 board members. In short, we just cannot see how this process is in any way impartial.

As for Rooney and the team, well they have been magnificent. A team of lads from our academy and a few journeymen that we could pick up on a free for minimal wages have defied the odds and clawed back the 21 points and have some chance of staying up, at least we would have if we didn't keep losing players due to the delays in resolution of the ownership issue (3 more left this weekend). I've been supporting Derby since I was a lad and that is some time ago now but I have rarely in the history of my team felt so proud of them. They are giving their all (won 4 and drawn 1 of the last 5 league games). Time is running out though, the administrators are costing us hefty fees and they will not move on until the club is allowed to do so. All that we are asking for is for the EFL to stop obstructing the process of saving our club. We are in the last chance saloon and facing imminent liquidation without a new owner and a threat of being thrown out the league if we do not pay millions to unproven and as yet un presented legal action from Boro and Wycombe.

Hope that helps fill in a few blanks.

Reactions: Niall

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hi All, Rams fan here. I thought I'd do my best with newbie rights to explain the absolute carnage at DCFC as best I can. I'm no expert on all the legal ins and outs but I'll do my best.

Firstly, let's be clear, Derby have been run very poorly for some time now. Debt has stacked up and the previous owner Mel Morris bailed and left us in the mire. Above and beyond living beyond our means the EFL specifically raised an issue of how player values are run down over the life of contract (amortisation). Derby employed a method that while perfectly legal was different to other clubs who use a straight line amortisation whereas Derby weighted theirs to shift which period the cost falls in and the EFL belatedly decided that this was not a level playing field and slapped us with a 9 point penalty which the club has now accepted. On top of this our debts had spiralled because as you know it is not easy to make any money in the EFL in any case and our tendency to overpay for players in both fees and wages contributed hugely to this. We then slipped into administration and were slapped with another 12 points for a total of 21 point deduction. Once again, while we are obviously not happy about this as fans we reluctantly recognise due process.

Anyway, a deal was struck with the EFL that if we accepted the 9 point penalty rather than drag out through further appeals then effectively a line will be drawn under the whole mess and we can get on with seeking new ownership. I summary, we feel that we have taken our medicine and now want to move on. This is where it got complicated... Since Derby had been found guilty of use of a non-standard amortisation policy and the Boro chairman who has a long running bitter feud with our ex chairman Mel Morris has decided that they could have been promoted the season that we got into the playoffs and therefore DCFC should pay them compensation reportedly up to 45 million (yep...) which for a club in administration is just insane. we don't have 45p never mind £45 million and the precedent set for all tiers of the leagues could be catastrophic. Also, on a very basic level, we didn't win the playoffs so why would they ?

So, given that our ex chairman has left with the ownership of the ground there is precious little asset left apart from a few of our better academy lads who are playing a huge part in a frankly heroic effort to overcome the 21 point penalty. The perception for a while amongst Derby fans is therefore that the Boro claim is simply a continuation of an ongoing feud between chairmen and therefore just a vindictive attempt to disrupt a potential takeover by making it unviable for any buyer. Bear in mind that none of the action by Boro and a lesser claim by Wycombe have been raised as a lawsuit, just a threat. Fast forward to us finding buyers who are willing to take on the club with debts and all and as a final kick in the nuts, the EFL are now refusing to accept us coming out of administration with a new buyer as an end to the matter and are threatening to take away our 'Golden Share' (our league place) by Feb 1st if we do not settle with Boro and Wycombe, cases that have not be brought yet and not proven (and in my opinion highly unlikely to be). To cap it all, the EFL board who are blocking our rescue and exit from administration have a representative from Boro as one of the 3 board members. In short, we just cannot see how this process is in any way impartial.

As for Rooney and the team, well they have been magnificent. A team of lads from our academy and a few journeymen that we could pick up on a free for minimal wages have defied the odds and clawed back the 21 points and have some chance of staying up, at least we would have if we didn't keep losing players due to the delays in resolution of the ownership issue (3 more left this weekend). I've been supporting Derby since I was a lad and that is some time ago now but I have rarely in the history of my team felt so proud of them. They are giving their all (won 4 and drawn 1 of the last 5 league games). Time is running out though, the administrators are costing us hefty fees and they will not move on until the club is allowed to do so. All that we are asking for is for the EFL to stop obstructing the process of saving our club. We are in the last chance saloon and facing imminent liquidation without a new owner and a threat of being thrown out the league if we do not pay millions to unproven and as yet un presented legal action from Boro and Wycombe.

Hope that helps fill in a few blanks.
Great post, hopefully you guys make as it'll be one the greatest football stories to transpire.

Alty_Ram

Supports
Derby County
Great post, hopefully you guys make as it'll be one the greatest football stories to transpire.
Thanks. Yes, its obviously a big worry re Rooney moving on because he's had so much to contend with and so many false dawns regarding ownership and promised opportunities to reinforce the paper thin squad and he has shown incredible patience throughout. On the other Rooney thread folks were commenting about it being a free hit and while that is certainly true I still think by any reckoning that what has been achieved so far has been an amazing effort and I just hope it isn't all in vain. If he does leave though I honestly don't think anyone could blame him with what he's had to put up with but obviously we really hope he sticks it out and we are allowed to pull off something truly remarkable given the points deductions. The siege mentality has definitely kicked in but we are all just desperate to get some kind of future secured for the club. Buyers are seemingly somehow still interested and we just need to be allowed to get it done.