Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's gonna do his playing career in reverse. Next club will be Everton before his glorious return to United :cool:

TheReligion

Abusive
How did they manage to sign Rooney in the first place? Surprised he didn’t sign for the ‘flashier’ New York/LA teams
It's really a mystery. They still had him for 2.5 more years at 3.5 million a year which makes me think he knew how shit we were (which really makes me question the probability of him coming back). There was certainly an energy he brought to the team (and to DC United in general) but he deserves far more than what he will get here under this ownership group. Granted, he was at Derby so maybe we look like a dream job. :lol:
He used to play for DC United so I think there’s a connection there.

He’s got a long career ahead of him so no harm going to the US for a bit.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Seems a strange move for him, but maybe he's not THAT bothered about management after the mess at Derby and maybe him and his family loved their time living in DC.

He hardly needs the money, so this might just be the best scenario for him in terms of lifestyle.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he likes living in the US and I imagine his family like it too. He’s still very early in his management career and actually seems to understand and care enough about it to take baby steps rather than jump into a big job with no experience. He probably sees it as a way of learning and refining his abilities without much of a risk.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Surely he could find a job in the championship if he has real ambitions of managing in the premier league? He'd have been one of the more sought after if a lower table PL manager had got the sack midseason.

TheReligion

Abusive
Seems a strange move for him, but maybe he's not THAT bothered about management after the mess at Derby and maybe him and his family loved their time living in DC.

He hardly needs the money, so this might just be the best scenario for him in terms of lifestyle.
I think he likes living in the US and I imagine his family like it too. He’s still very early in his management career and actually seems to understand and care enough about it to take baby steps rather than jump into a big job with no experience. He probably sees it as a way of learning and refining his abilities without much of a risk.
Yah I agree with SW here. I actually think it shows great awareness and understanding that he needs to fully prepare himself in different leagues, settings and surroundings in order to pick up his dream job at United later down the line.

Look at Lampard for example. He may still pull it back but when your stock drops and your inexperience shows you can really struggle.

Rooney is smarter than he looks. Fair play to him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Wasn’t it the case that his family stayed back in the UK in the main when he was a player over there? Doesn’t seem ideal for him if that’s to be repeated. History suggests he’ll get himself in bother if left to his own devices. Without even mentioning that he could have gotten a good job in England. Fair play if he wants to broaden his managerial horizons, I’m just not sure MLS is necessarily the place to do it at the moment.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wasn’t it the case that his family stayed back in the UK in the main when he was a player over there? Doesn’t seem ideal for him if that’s to be repeated. History suggests he’ll get himself in bother if left to his own devices. Without even mentioning that he could have gotten a good job in England. Fair play if he wants to broaden his managerial horizons, I’m just not sure MLS is necessarily the place to do it at the moment.
He'll be back in no time once the civil war kicks off.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yah I agree with SW here. I actually think it shows great awareness and understanding that he needs to fully prepare himself in different leagues, settings and surroundings in order to pick up his dream job at United later down the line.

Look at Lampard for example. He may still pull it back but when your stock drops and your inexperience shows you can really struggle.

Rooney is smarter than he looks. Fair play to him.
Ole is another example - not looking like getting any sort of job again, let alone a big one

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He used to play for DC United so I think there’s a connection there.

He’s got a long career ahead of him so no harm going to the US for a bit.
I meant as a player how did they sign him rather rehab NY/LA - i think that other poster supports them

TsuWave

Weird career choice, but maybe he enjoyed his time in the US as a player

phelans shorts

I don’t recall any bother when he played out there, but then again he was just a fish in the ocean over there so maybe just nothing was deemed a story.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Strange one, he seemed like a promising manager and keen to step up. You’d think he’s signing his career away by going to the US now.
The man is still in his 30's and has a lot of goodwill saved up from his efforts in Derby, DC job let's him coach straight away and stay in the game. Even if he does moderately well at a historically under achieving team he will be able to come back to England with a higher placed team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His boy is in our academy, isn't he? If they're all going, he'll be thrilled leaving...

I don't get the notion he can go out there and refine his craft when he was already excelling in the Championship with a broken club on its knees. He had them playing sumptuous football whilst subsidising wages(!), which is comic book stuff.

I get the move if it's for a break or for his family, but professionally, it sets him back when he'd be highly sought after if not at the lower end of the PL, then certainly in the Championship.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Apparently he always stayed in contact with DC United after his time there and gave his opinion on some potential transfers etc, so it makes sense that he returns there in an official job.

And the MLS isn't that bad anymore I think, it's not the joke it used to be in it's early days (still not a real top league obviously, but nonetheless not worse than the Championship I think).

padzilla

Hipster
The man is still in his 30's and has a lot of goodwill saved up from his efforts in Derby, DC job let's him coach straight away and stay in the game. Even if he does moderately well at a historically under achieving team he will be able to come back to England with a higher placed team.
It's good life experience to work and live outside England too. It's not a bad gig.

Oranges038

Seems like a wierd choice.

Would defo have been in line for a championship gig by about the middle of September. Probably at Watford, but he would have at least been able to spend Christmas at home.

Skills

Snitch
From a county to a united. 1 step closer to his final destination

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Smart of him to take his time working his way up lesser clubs. A half decent spell at a championship club could have seen him propelled to the pl before he felt ready.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Apparently he always stayed in contact with DC United after his time there and gave his opinion on some potential transfers etc, so it makes sense that he returns there in an official job.

And the MLS isn't that bad anymore I think, it's not the joke it used to be in it's early days (still not a real top league obviously, but nonetheless not worse than the Championship I think).
It may not be a complete joke, but I don't see how it makes sense career wise. The benefit of picking a lower/smaller league is usually that you can join one of its big clubs and work on the dominant/possession side of your game, maybe gather some experience in a title race or in European fixtures.

DC United seems to be offering none of that and I can't imagine experiencing "soccer culture" counts for a lot either.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If doesn't ambition to be a top manager than it makes sense otherwise he may have killed his career.

Green_Red

I bet he wins that league within the first 2 seasons, quote me on that :nervous:

He'll return to the Prem with league winning credentials.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If he has genuine aspirations of becoming a PL manager, why would he make such a move whilst his managerial name has pull and gravitas?

No matter what he does as a manager out there, it'll not boost his CV over here.

It is a baffling move unless he wants some time out of the UK and is focusing more on that and his family than his professional career.

How does that make any sense?

DC united are a disaster right now. Maybe Rooney instead of chasing a big club genuinely wants a well rounded managerial experience.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
How does that make any sense?

DC united are a disaster right now. Maybe Rooney instead of chasing a big club genuinely wants a well rounded managerial experience.
To me it looks like he takes jobs at clubs he cares about and where he feels he can make a difference, not necessarily jobs that are ideal for his own career path.

I respect that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
To me it looks like he takes jobs at clubs he cares about and where he feels he can make a difference, not necessarily jobs that are ideal for his own career path.

I respect that.
Refreshingly he's not a manager obsessed with resume padding and this will be his key to success. Not rushing into anything.

No doubt DC will offer him more perspective that he can eventually some day bring back to the prem.