Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

Pughnichi

He’s simply not Manager material…but getting jobs based on his name/playing career.

Telsim

Reckon he will be the one seeing our season out, after Ten Hag gets sacked in January. There isn't anyone else available as interim. I just hope it doesn't become permanent, like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. He did a good enough job at Derby, but this isn't Derby.

Last edited:

Thom Merrilin

Can anyone give me a quick summary of his time at DC United? I always thought he did quite well at Derby under the circumstances but perhaps the MLS has proven too much for him?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Can anyone give me a quick summary of his time at DC United? I always thought he did quite well at Derby under the circumstances but perhaps the MLS has proven too much for him?
No it was a fairly similar story. DC United fans dislike their owner and president. The president was previously the GM and didn’t do good so was promoted to president. They brought in a new GM and then fired her and never bothered to replace her so don’t actually have a GM for a year.

DC’s roster building has been terrible for years, their squad is poor and horribly unbalanced. He also lost a few of their best players including their top goal scorers who was accused of using racial slurs twice so he had to kick him out.

He did decent overall, had some good spells but just couldn’t do it consistently due to losing players and half of them just not being MLS standard. He did fairly well with the young players too.

Truthfully there isn’t much to take from it.

Pav1878

Would he come back as a coach.
I love the idea of ex legends coming back and being around the club and positively influencing our younger players.
Doesn’t work like that always of course. But would love it if he came back

philnguyen1994

Seems to be another bad career move from him already after the DC move. Eustace had Brum massively overachieving so far this season, now they shocked everyone and sacked him for a bigger name in Rooney, who will be on a hidding to nothing when Brum's results inevitably worsen back to where they should with the quality of their squad.

Anyways, guess what his first match in charge will be? Against Carrick's Middlesbrough.

Member 128195

He’s simply not Manager material…but getting jobs based on his name/playing career.
I think this is very unfair. I didn't follow his management career much in America. But the job he did at Derby was nothing short of nearly a miracle. He had a transfer embargo, a load of youth players and a huge points deduction and they didn't get relegated until a few games were remaining in the season.

He could do a good job in the championship.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Seems to be another bad career move from him already after the DC move. Eustace had Brum massively overachieving so far this season, now they shocked everyone and sacked him for a bigger name in Rooney, who will be on a hidding to nothing when Brum's results inevitably worsen back to where they should with the quality of their squad.

Anyways, guess what his first match in charge will be? Against Carrick's Middlesbrough.
If he does anything like he did at Derby again, he’s got to be seen as the real deal and a proper Championship manager, at the very least. PL clubs will be the next port of call should this go well, I think.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Interesting that Eustace is favorite for Rangers role. In my head I was thinking that I could see Rooney going to Glasgow

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Really tough gig this one, Brum will think they should contest for a play off place now - when in reality staying up is decent form them at the min.

philnguyen1994

Why are they sacking Eustace when they are 6th and have won 2 on the bounce? To get Rooney?
"It is essential that the Board of Directors and the football management are fully aligned on the importance of implementing a winning mentality and a culture of ambition across the entire Football Club.
With this in mind, Birmingham City has today parted company with Head Coach, John Eustace.
A new First Team Manager will be announced in the coming days who will be responsible for creating an identity and clear ‘no fear’ playing style that all Birmingham City teams will adopt and embrace."

Worst club statement ever, Rooney's under a lot of pressure already because of it, not just terms of maintaining the current unsustainable results but in terms of playing style as well. Unfortunately, I can only see one outcome here ...

Pughnichi

What makes you say he’s not manager material?
I just don’t think he has the personality or intelligence for it.

I believe managing a team now is as much tactics/training as it is people skills.

whether you like them or not, SAF, Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, Pep, Howe…these are all intelligent men.

he has good game experience of course but he’s just not clever enough to manage people. I suspect he’ll have a few goes at it before chairmen up and down stop giving him opportunities…unless they just want a bit of attention

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I believe managing a team now is as much tactics/training as it is people skills.

whether you like them or not, SAF, Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, Pep, Howe…these are all intelligent men.

he has good game experience of course but he’s just not at clever enough to manage people. I suspect he’ll have a few goes at it before chairmen up and down stop giving him opportunities…unless they just want a bit of attention
Rooney has an abundance of football intelligence.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Can he motivate players? Its what Pep and Klopp are doing. Its what Ferguson did. You have to get inside players heads.

Wilt

he has good game experience of course but he’s just not clever enough to manage people. I suspect he’ll have a few goes at it before chairmen up and down stop giving him opportunities…unless they just want a bit of attention
Rooney is one of the most intelligent footballers I’ve ever seen, his perception, on field awareness and speed of thought was second to none.

Normal Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Frank Lampard has an IQ of 150.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Rooney is one of the most intelligent footballers I’ve ever seen, his on field awareness and speed of thought was second to none.
Paul Scholes was also super intelligent on the pitch. Was a shite manager though.

There's lots of examples of "footballing intelligence" players being crap managers and vice versa.

Baxquux

Which I would consider game experience.

I don’t believe him to have emotional intelligence…which for me is a huge part of todays managers roles/responsibilities
Dunno, I think working with a youth-centred, depleted Derby squad and putting together decent performances whilst scrapping for survival in one of Europe's most unforgiving leagues showed he had decent EQ, as did getting a season of consistent 7/8 out of 10 performances from Ravel Morrison after the troughs RM's career went through....

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

I don’t believe him to have emotional intelligence…which for me is a huge part of todays managers roles/responsibilities
Just because he looks and sounds like a thick scouser doesn't mean he is* one.

*he may be Scouse

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

How would you possibly know what emotional intelligence he does or does not have?

And player reports on him were glowing at Derby.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

You really have no idea about this, though. You have a ready made opinion on the guy, which is baseless, but his managerial career to date contradicts that.

In terms of emotional intelligence, I recall a moving moment outside the Derby ground where he seems to get the staff and players pumped up with an improvised speech.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Can't help but feel like this is gonna go horribly wrong.

Replacing a popular manager who was doing a good job just because the chairman/CEO wants a 'big' name is never a good way to conduct business and that'll have a massive impact regardless of whether Rooney is any good or not.

Castia

His managerial record is absolutely awful this looks to have disaster written all over it. Their 2 point off third ffs.