Wayne Rooney | Sacked as Birmingham City Manager

el3mel

If he succeeds as our manager then why not?
Hopefully he never manages United. I like the guy but he doesn't have the personality nor the charisma to be the manager of Man United. He wasn't even a good captain here. He's simply not a leading figure.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He's putting in all the hard graft to become next united manager. Would love to see it one day, given he succeeds.
Ain’t happening. People need to realise that a top player doesn’t always make a top manager. I mean we all love Rooney and hope he does well but it will be another case of doing well at average clubs. Once they move to top clubs they fail. Gerrards a crap manager, Lampards a crap manager. Neville failed, Keane failed. Unsure about Carrick so far. Rooneys done nothing special as of yet. McKenna is the one to watch for the future, especially if he gets back to back promotions with Ipswich. Not saying we should ever hire him but he’s probably gonna be one of the best English managers.

predator

Youth NITK
Ain’t happening. People need to realise that a top player doesn’t always make a top manager. I mean we all love Rooney and hope he does well but it will be another case of doing well at average clubs. Once they move to top clubs they fail. Gerrards a crap manager, Lampards a crap manager. Neville failed, Keane failed. Unsure about Carrick so far. Rooneys done nothing special as of yet. McKenna is the one to watch for the future, especially if he gets back to back promotions with Ipswich. Not saying we should ever hire him but he’s probably gonna be one of the best English managers.
I realise that top players don't always make a top manager, I've never said otherwise. The best managers ever for me were average players at best.

There are always exceptions though, and in Rooneys case, he isn't jumping for the big jobs early like Gerrard, Lamps, Nev and is learning the tricks of the trade, so to speak in the lower leagues.

I do believe that Rooney will do well as a manager and I have no problem with anyone coming back and quoting me on this.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I realise that top players don't always make a top manager, I've never said otherwise. The best managers ever for me were average players at best.

There are always exceptions though, and in Rooneys case, he isn't jumping for the big jobs early like Gerrard, Lamps, Nev and is learning the tricks of the trade, so to speak in the lower leagues.

I do believe that Rooney will do well as a manager and I have no problem with anyone coming back and quoting me on this.
I hope you’re right buddy. I think he could potentially end up at Everton one day. That’s probably his level and he’ll be happy with that aswell.

criticalanalysis

This is quite funny to read, especially as the below was posted in his thread half an hour ago. You would think the surname was a clue :D:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/kieran-mckenna-ipswich-manager.467767/page-12#post-31202372

McKenna is from the same tiny part of NI that I am from. There would have been a lot of talk about him as a youth player before he crossed the water to go to Spurs and it's a shame his playing career was ruined by injury. We'd have a few mutual friends and he was seemingly extremely bright and hard working at school. Was in his company during the summer when he was back home for a few days and on a night out with family. He comes across extremely level headed and I hope he goes right to the top of his profession.

Abraxas

More chance of winning Euromillions than Rooney succeeding as a Man United manager. I'm tempted to say he'll never even be in that position to be offered the job, however, under the current ownership I can't take that for granted.

He just isn't the calibre of intellect required to do this job well. The absolute top managers, the best in class, they don't just know a thing or two about kicking a ball around. They're exceptional individuals on many levels. Extremely bright. People like Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp I can confidently say would excel in many a field.

Rooney was a top football player and may be a half decent manager up to a point, but he's not going to be outwitting the elite managers and if we're not in for best in class or potentially possessing the ability to prove that they are in the immediate future then what are we doing. It's not even that he's a bit thick, I genuinely think he's more clued up than people think, it's just blatantly obvious he's not going to be in the ballpark of these fellas or the next generation of top managers. Not for me anyway.

colombianmancunian

Good luck to him. I just hope Arnold doesn’t offer him the United job after an aceptable termite at Birmingham. This clueless board is capable of doing that.

philnguyen1994

Got beaten 1-0 by Carrick's Middlesbrough in his first game in charge. The scoreline massively flattered Brum tbh, Boro was incredibly wasteful, Brum was all over the place taking stupid risks and being wide open, could easily have been hammered about 5-0.

Last edited:

Constable Odo

People are actually surprised Wayne Rooney is an awful manager? He hasn't even hit Lampard levels yet and he's genuinely one of the worst managers of all time.

Pughnichi

You really have no idea about this, though. You have a ready made opinion on the guy, which is baseless, but his managerial career to date contradicts that.

In terms of emotional intelligence, I recall a moving moment outside the Derby ground where he seems to get the staff and players pumped up with an improvised speech.
Oh dear. P2 L2

philnguyen1994

it’s more because they were doing fine before he was appointed
And stupidly promised "no fear football" in an official club statement when they sacked Eustace and appointed Rooney. Now they dropped from 6th to 12th, having put in the two worst performances of the season. Not a good look either for Wazza to get tactically outclassed by two ex-footballers from his generation in his first 2 games, Rosenior in particular being his assistant at Derby.

Also, these sorts of things happening already after just two games are never good signs:

Highlights:

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don't understand the animosity towards Rooney in the thread. Did a good job at Derby and DC yet being compared to Lampard who ultimately failed in his last two jobs. Tough start for him at Brum so far but wouldn't be unlikely to see him turn it around.

IRN-BRUno

This move was a bit of a gamble from him. I think he's actually done reasonably well in his managerial career so far, he couldn't have done anything more at Derby given their situation. Can't say I paid much attention to his time in the MLS but I think DC United were bottom when he took over and then just missed out on the play-offs in his full season.

On the CV though he's got a relegation to League 1 and not achieved anything in the US which is seen by most as a weak league. So this 3rd experience is probably crucial for his reputation and future. Replacing someone who's done better than expected and relatively popular amongst the support is always going to be difficult, even more so when you don't get off to a good start. If you're getting booed after your first home game things could go downhill pretty quickly.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I just don’t see him as a manager. Just like I don’t see Scholes as a manager despite being a genius on the pitch.
Plus the likes of Scholes, Carrick, Lampard, Gerrard despite their successes or failures so far at least looked after themselves as players and (mostly) remained professional until the end. Rooney lacked self-discipline as player. And this is even more important as a manager.
Other examples of great players: just like (albeit for different reasons) I don’t see Ronaldo or Messi as managers, I don’t see it with Rooney either.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looking like Lampards spell with us last year so far.

Neither surprising given their prior records as managers.

Castia

Was a stupid appointment in the first place

They was in the play off spots and they sacked the manager? they deserve everything they get.

I love Wayne but he's shown absolutely nothing as a manager to appoint him in the way they did.