Wayne Rooney, The Midfield General? Mourinho Says No.

What should we do with Rooney ?

• Keep him as a starting XI player

Votes: 23 6.7%
  • Sell him

Votes: 221 64.8%
  • Keep him as a squad player

Votes: 97 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You tell 'em, Arty.

Jaybomb

Do some people WANT Mourinho to fail at United?

Cause that's what will happen if he continues to play a striker in center midfield every week. I can't believe most people's "preferred starting XI's" have Rooney in CM. Do people seriously believe he's a better CM than the likes of Schneiderlin, Herrera and Schweinsteiger? Hell, I wouldn't even start him there over Fellaini. We get overrun when we play this guy there. He's only got one trick up his sleeve and that's the Hollywood Ball to the wing.

He's officially our Stevie G. We can't get rid of him.

Last season, LVG sold all our top strikers to play Rooney up front. RVP, Chicharito and Falcao were all shown the door and LVG put his faith in Rooney to score all his goals. Most of our fans were begging for it the season before but I always knew it was a terrible idea. And it's deja vu all over again. We're gonna sell Morgan, Herrera and Bastian so we can rely on this fraud who couldn't even beat Iceland.

I seriously fear for Mourinho's run here if that's what's gonna happen.

LeftyBlaster

Rooney's my favourite player. That's no secret. Maybe I am a bit biased when it comes to him, but even I can admit when he has a poor game.

Those, like yourself, who have a clear agenda against Rooney, clearly find it hard to write one single positive thing about him, even if he does have a decent game.

Instead, you always focus on the bad performances on the opposition, or the occasion of the match, etc. For example, Rooney has a good game against Russia and Wales and the agenda driven people come out in their numbers saying, it's only against Wales, Russia, etc. Or, he had too much time.

Well, Wales have just smashed Belgium, in a team that consists of Hazard, De Bruyne, Nainggolan, etc, and all of them did feck all.
:lol: Go read all the posts on here again. People are usually his critics have agreed that he performed a lot better in the first two games. You say that they still found a way to say "it was only Wales/Russia" and "he was given too much room". Well guess fecking what? It's because those statements hold a lot of truth? History has shown that in any high pressure or pressing situation, Rooney falters, as he did against Iceland.

And don't come out and say Wales have just beaten Belgium and therefor his critics should not be getting on his case for his performance against said Wales. That's just fecking illogical using any team's performance against yet another to defend him.

Lastly, people focus on the what? They have already stated that Rooney was good against Russia and Wales. But is it wrong for them to make those arguments with a caveat? Has Rooney not shown time and time again that he crumbles when pressed in any form or fashion? Has he not shown himself to be one dimensional in his passing? Has he not shown himself to have consistently poor ball control?

Mind you we aren't talking about a Player who has been jumped on for having one bad game among a consistent stretch of impressive performances that he really should be turning in. We're talking about a player who has been consistently poor or average for the majority of 3 seasons, who gets a free pass at almost everything and is nigh undroppable both at club and national level. If people aren't allowed to criticise something so valid, I don't know what nonsense world you live in then. Oh wait. I do.

itso 7

Rooney's my favourite player. That's no secret. Maybe I am a bit biased when it comes to him, but even I can admit when he has a poor game.

Those, like yourself, who have a clear agenda against Rooney, clearly find it hard to write one single positive thing about him, even if he does have a decent game.

Instead, you always focus on the bad performances on the opposition, or the occasion of the match, etc. For example, Rooney has a good game against Russia and Wales and the agenda driven people come out in their numbers saying, it's only against Wales, Russia, etc. Or, he had too much time.

Well, Wales have just smashed Belgium, in a team that consists of Hazard, De Bruyne, Nainggolan, etc, and all of them did feck all.
Well the problem most have with Rooney is that the status he's been afforded in the team (superstar wages, captain's privoleges) do not really match his contributions, we are giving him the Messi treatment when in return he is giving us Heskey performances. If Rooney faced and accepted the consequences of his performances I wouldn't begrudge him his wages but he seemingly can't be dropped despite holding the team back and posters are terrified of what he would do to the dressing room atmosphere if the manager dared to do to him what should be done to player playing like he is doing.
I feel that Rooney's situation as it stands is unsustainable because he is no longer world class in the positions he claims. Those positions can and should be upgraded on if the team is to grow.

Halftrack

Cause that's what will happen if he continues to play a striker in center midfield every week. I can't believe most people's "preferred starting XI's" have Rooney in CM. Do people seriously believe he's a better CM than the likes of Schneiderlin, Herrera and Schweinsteiger? Hell, I wouldn't even start him there over Fellaini. We get overrun when we play this guy there. He's only got one trick up his sleeve and that's the Hollywood Ball to the wing.
This. I'm continuously baffled by the people that keep claiming that he has all the tools to succeed in midfield. Yes, if those tools are poor first touches, limited passing range and Hollywood balls to the wing, Rooney's got you covered. If, however, you're living in the real world, Rooney is really far from having the tools required of a proper midfielder.

Even at his best this tournament, he did nothing an actual midfielder couldn't have done better. England would probably have been better off bringing Drinkwater, or even Cleverley.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Last season, LVG sold all our top strikers to play Rooney up front. RVP, Chicharito and Falcao were all shown the door and LVG put his faith in Rooney to score all his goals. Most of our fans were begging for it the season before but I always knew it was a terrible idea. And it's deja vu all over again. We're gonna sell Morgan, Herrera and Bastian so we can rely on this fraud who couldn't even beat Iceland.

Quality post. I have no fear.. I think Rooney will not make it till January tbh.

Art Vandelay

Well the problem most have with Rooney is that the status he's been afforded in the team (superstar wages, captain's privoleges) do not really match his contributions, we are giving him the Messi treatment when in return he is giving us Heskey performances. If Rooney faced and accepted the consequences of his performances I wouldn't begrudge him his wages but he seemingly can't be dropped despite holding the team back and posters are terrified of what he would do to the dressing room atmosphere if the manager dared to do to him what should be done to player playing like he is doing.
I feel that Rooney's situation as it stands is unsustainable because he is no longer world class in the positions he claims. Those positions can and should be upgraded on if the team is to grow.
Well said, sir. Well said.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I'll leave this up to Mourinho. He doesn't suffer fools gladly. If Rooney continues to put in inconsistent performances upfront or in midfield then he will not be in the first 11, full stop. Rooney cannot afford to put in performances like that England game where he was falling around all over the place and letting the ball skip over his foot etc. Mourinho won't settle for it. If Rooney does play next season its because Mourinho has re-established him as a world class player or at least good enough to make a difference for us. No more getting by on reputation.

Godfather

If we sell one of those guys just to shoehorn Rooney into a CM position I'll be livid. Can he not piss off to China already. And it's not even his fault! Moyes and LvG just didn't have the balls to drop him. I hope Mou gives him the Casillas treatment.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why should we like the idea of moving a 200k a week striker in midfield because he's too shit to play upfront?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho kept on playing Ivanovic even though he was the worst player in e league.

sokol11

After Ibra who I think is genuinely world class player and will show this in EPL in the coming season I think the next biggest signing at United in this transfer window would be Rooney signing for some Chinese or MLS club.

Bruno8

Rooney can still do it its just that even when he does well his critics always try to spin it negatively like blaming the poor opposition forgetting that he can only beat whats in front of him. Some expect him to perform at the level he was doing a few years ago which is not practical

Claymore

What exactly happened to Rooney, he looks knackered both for United and England. It was only two or three seasons ago he was banging in the goals. Now he doesn't even look a threat. I really don't wanna see him float around our midfield acting like he owns the place. Time to put up for sale.

Djemba-Djemba

Rooney can still do it its just that even when he does well his critics always try to spin it negatively like blaming the poor opposition forgetting that he can only beat whats in front of him. Some expect him to perform at the level he was doing a few years ago which is not practical
:wenger:

What? So the fact he's shite against the big teams isn't the truth ? It's people negatively spinning things?

And you've just proved peoples point. He can't reach the level he used to be at because he's finished. That's why he has to go.

LeftyBlaster

So you've basically agreed with his critics by admitting that he's finished and on the slippery slope down. If he can't turn in performances of top quality, then what is the fecking point of paying him as such and giving him such a pivotal role and making him undroppable and building teams around him? It's insane.

You've torpedoed your own defence of him by agreeing with the critics while crying "leave Rooney alone".

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Almost nailed on now that he'll play centre midfield with the signings of Mkhitaryan and Zlatan.

Jig1234

Time to call it a day. Has no position of excellence anymore. If he starts the season no.10. People will then say 'his best position is midfield or off the striker' Then he just gets moved about until he has a few decent games. He is a complete jack of all trades now. He has hindered team balance for the last few years now. Right time for him to go. Sadly Mourinho like Moyes and Van Gaal will worship him. I think we'd have a better season if he sold him and moved on. We'd have less issues with formation/Starting XI

Art Vandelay

Time to call it a day. Has no position of excellence anymore. If he starts the season no.10. People will then say 'his best position is midfield or off the striker' Then he just gets moved about until he has a few decent games. He is a complete jack of no trades now. He has hindered team balance for the last few years now. Right time for him to go. Sadly Mourinho like Moyes and Van Gaal will worship him. I think we'd have a better season if he sold him and moved on. We'd have less issues with formation/Starting XI
Fixed that for you.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What? So the fact he's shite against the big teams isn't the truth ? It's people negatively spinning things?
Surely you know that reality has an anti-Rooney agenda?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The best post I saw, was that his best position is the one he's not currently playing in :lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob

So true.
BUT, Jose won't keep playing Rooney if he keeps playing badly.
I think Jose will allow Rooney to play badly for 2-3 games, but if he continues, he'll be benched.
Unlike LVG, Jose's philosophy does not have a "my captain shall always play".

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's actually embarrasing sifting through the comments in this thread. The hateful jibes and outright disrespect for a genuine icon of the club is so... dare I say it... plastic? Opposition fans could be excused for thinking there is an agenda for Wayne Rooney among certain members of this forum.

Jose will undoubtedly give Rooney a chance to prove himself, as he will with every player currently under contract with the club, whether you like it or not. If it doesn't work out, as a great many of you suspect, then I've no doubt in my mind that Jose will do what's neccessary for the good of the club. It's not like Jose will continue to play him in midfield, or anywhere else on the pitch for that matter, if he feels that Rooney's inclusion is actually detrimental to the team as a whole.

Why are people so opposed to the idea before the season has even begun?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So true.
BUT, Jose won't keep playing Rooney if he keeps playing badly.
I think Jose will allow Rooney to play badly for 2-3 games, but if he continues, he'll be benched.
Unlike LVG, Jose's philosophy does not have a "my captain shall always play".
As has been mentioned before he dropped Lampard once he felt he wasn't the same player. If Lampard had been at United he would likely be still playing in midfield. We seem reluctant in some cases to admit that someone might just be getting past it.

clarkydaz

It's actually embarrasing sifting through the comments in this thread. The hateful jibes and outright disrespect for a genuine icon of the club is so... dare I say it... plastic? Opposition fans could be excused for thinking there is an agenda for Wayne Rooney among certain members of this forum.

Jose will undoubtedly give Rooney a chance to prove himself, as he will with every player currently under contract with the club, whether you like it or not. If it doesn't work out, as a great many of you suspect, then I've no doubt in my mind that Jose will do what's neccessary for the good of the club. It's not like Jose will continue to play him in midfield, or anywhere else on the pitch for that matter, if he feels that Rooney's inclusion is actually detrimental to the team as a whole.

Why are people so opposed to the idea before the season has even begun?
Maybe they've watched him decline for a long time and fed up of it? Or maybe there really is an agenda and people just like abusing united players for lolz

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe they've watched him decline for a long time and fed up of it? Or maybe there really is an agenda and people just like abusing united players for lolz
Wayne has always been a streaky player, but in the past when he did hit form it was spectacular. Now when he hits form he is average to good, mainly average. It was bound to happen some time.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Rooney wouldn't be the first player that appeared to be in decline only to reinvigorate himself and find a touch of form. Giggs, Scholes and even the great man himself Fergie, all of whom were considered past it at certain stages of their career, are testiment to that fact. I'm not even remotely convinced that Rooney can successfully make the transition from striker to midfielder, then again I don't believe it is beyond the realms of possibility either. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what transpires.

He deserves a chance to prove himself that's all I'm saying.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Rooney wouldn't be the first player that appeared to be in decline only to reinvigorate himself and find a touch of form. Giggs, Scholes and even the great man himself Fergie, all of whom were considered past it at certain stages of their career, are testiment to that fact. I'm not even remotely convinced that Rooney can successfully make the transition from striker to midfielder, then again I don't believe it is beyond the realms of possibility either. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what transpires.

He deserves a chance to prove himself that's all I'm saying.
It's not his first chance. Been like 5-6 chances. Move position, repeat from excuses no. 1 - 5, repeat ad Infiniti

mbb8

why can't we just move on?

Why do other big clubs cut players loose the moment they realize they can upgrade over them? Look at Barca. They cut loose Alves. They cut loose Xavi. They have zero chill.

Yet we are expect to stick with a player in decline because of past accomplishments. This is silly. We can clearly upgrade over Rooney the midfielder, like we did over Rooney the striker and Rooney the #10.

If Jose tries this Rooney in midfield nonsense, I will lose my confidence in him as a manager.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
why can't we just move on?

Why do other big clubs cut players loose the moment they realize they can upgrade over them? Look at Barca. They cut loose Alves. They cut loose Xavi. They have zero chill.

Yet we are expect to stick with a player in decline because of past accomplishments. This is silly. We can clearly upgrade over Rooney the midfielder, like we did over Rooney the striker and Rooney the #10.

If Jose tries this Rooney in midfield nonsense, I will lose my confidence in him as a manager.
Why?

mbb8

because we have better CMs in the damn squad, much less on the market. Herrera is a better CM. Carrick is a better CM. Schwinestiger is a better CM. and on and on.

Rooney is not a CM. He never has been, and suddenly asking him to play the most important position on a football field is stupid.