WC All-time All-stars Round 1: Balu vs ThisIsTheOne

Whose team is more likely to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Ffs, now all of a sudden people appear and believe in my defensitacve concept, couldn't you have posted earlier :lol:. Now I hate myself, if I loose the game, I didn't before.

You can go back to attack. No reason why it has to be this way now since you are behind. Da Boer was a weak link for me anyway

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's 11-11 atm. Still as tight as can be mate.
:cool:

Ffs, I don't want a penalty shootout. I don't think my players are great at, I think I've quite a lot of players who lost that way :lol:.

Thisistheone

:cool:

Ffs, I don't want a penalty shootout. I don't think my players are great at, I think I've quite a lot of players who lost that way :lol:.
I have Franco Baresi and two Englishmen. We'll blow the penalties, no question!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
You can go back to attack. No reason why it has to be this way now since you are behind. Da Boer was a weak link for me anyway
He really was great in '98 though. Not only on the ball, some brilliant defensive displays as well, and fits my team perfectly in that role.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Btw. I think it's great that so many mention that I did Cruyff justice, really glad to hear that, because I really had fun building the team around him, reading through articles about total football and watching a lot of footage from the Netherlands team in '74. It's so amazing what they actually did that summer, still great that they lost the final though. They did a perfect job of entertaining me with the way they played, they won and they lost :).

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Please no extra-time, I have to start working at some point, or my boss is going to kill me later today :lol:.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Please no extra-time, I have to start working at some point, or my boss is going to kill me later today :lol:.
Oh, I'm sure he'll understand - this is serious business after all, it's the world cup!

Straight to pens is probably the best way to go, though. I should think most of the angles have been covered already. One angle which has not been covered: The keepers. And that could be a crucial one, of course, if it goes to a shoot-out.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The teams are so great it's been hard to choose. But then I asked myself, who has the X factor here? In a tight game who might just nick it? I can't help but look at Titos MF. Carlton and Gascoigne, Tardelli and Cerezo... Charlton is the big one here that's made me think, I'll go for Tito. Sorry Balu, you have a great team.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I agree with crappy that there will be goals in this game and its a case of who can outscore the other. Can't see a clean sheet at all here, Balu's right flank is good for one or two goals based on Jairzinho's level in 1970 and despite Baresi marshalling the defence you can never stop Cruyff and he could easily get one or assist a couple himself.

On the other hand TITO is just as dangerous, Rossi, Vava, Charlton and Gazza is a hell of a front four. Rossi in particular is at least one or two levels above his 'normal' rating based solely on World Cups - his record is just phenomenal and he needs credit in this draft (more than he would usually get).

I really think this could be a 4-3 game of the tournament type of match and I think what splits it for me in the defence.. Can Baresi and co completely stop Cruyff/Jairzinho? No, of course not, but for my money they can limit their influence more than the counterparts in Balu's team can stop Rossi/Vava and Charton.

Incredibly tight game but I have to edge towards TITO by one goal in a scintillating 4-3

RoadTrip

Indeed. I couldn't see a draw here and I saw lots of goals. I had to do the managers justice making a decision; their effort deserves that I think! Great job.

sajeev

TITO has gone ahead with around 6 minutes to go before the final whistle (that is assuming that the 24 hrs is equivalent to 90 min). Can Jairzinho create some magic to pull it back

Thisistheone

Yep, it's a new situation for my boys. In the lead for the first time (marginally) with a few minutes to go.

I'd like to think with the number of leaders in my side - Baresi, Perfumo, Charlton, Schnellinger - that we'd be able to hold out and not make any silly or inexperienced mistakes.

Tardelli and Cerezo are sure to hold a solid position in front of my back four as well. And when he get the ball, they won't waste it.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Now it's difficult to get through on goal, so I need one of those:

Thisistheone

Yeah it's harsh. There's a couple of other match-ups that will also see something similar. Gio v Theon and Aldo v Pol spring to mind.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Oh, I'm sure he'll understand - this is serious business after all, it's the world cup!

Straight to pens is probably the best way to go, though. I should think most of the angles have been covered already. One angle which has not been covered: The keepers. And that could be a crucial one, of course, if it goes to a shoot-out.
Yeah, I can see that going well: "Boss, I haven't finished that report because I'm playing a football game online where I am replicating that awesome Dutch side from 74 and making Cruyff look monstruous".

But then, maybe you can interest him in weighing in on Schulz and Schwarzenbeck suddenly turning into a colander.

BTW, the changes haven't been updated so it is largely those following the thread which have acted on them. I did think it was safer to stick to total effort and bang on about Vavá never having had to deal with a proper offside trap.

Polaroid

Sorry Balu, just got online, do you still want me to update the OP?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Nope, don't think it's necessary, just let it run out like this.

Thisistheone

Yeah, don't think your changes have affected things to much since the casual voter will just look at the opening post Balu.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
There has to be someone out there who loves a great penalty shootout? Come on guys, this game deserves more drama.

Thisistheone

Franco is doing his best to keep the players focused til the end and calm things down:

RoadTrip

24 minutes to go, one vote separates... Will Balu make a comeback like the one that haunts his fear (MUFC 2-1 BAYERN) =P?!

Exciting. 24 minutes is virtually stoppage time!

Polaroid

If it end in a tie, both managers are to nominate 5 PK takers and indicate the direction of their kicks (L/C/R). Same for the direction of their GK's 5 dives. PM them to me and I post in the match thread
L kick by PK taker and R dive by opponent GK means a save.

eg
Taker 1 - C
Taker 2 - C
Taker 3 - R
Taker 4 - C
Taker 5 - C

GK - L
GK - C
GK - C
GK - C
GK - R

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
24 minutes to go, one vote separates... Will Balu make a comeback like the one that haunts his fear (MUFC 2-1 BAYERN) =P?!

Exciting. 24 minutes is virtually stoppage time!
That's mean :(

RoadTrip

If it end in a tie, both managers are to nominate 5 PK takers and indicate the direction of their kicks (L/C/R). Same for the direction of their GK's 5 dives. PM them to me an dI post in the match thread
L kick by PK taker and R dive by opponent GK means a save.

eg
Taker 1 - C
Taker 2 - C
Taker 3 - R
Taker 4 - C
Taker 5 - C

GK - L
GK - C
GK - C
GK - C
GK - r
This is epic! Great idea. You could set up a quick fire penalty tournament just based on that =p

Polaroid

I can't decide
I don't think Balu's backline is suited to playing a high line although compressing the midfield does mitigate TITO's numerical superiority there.
At the same time, I am not convinced by Schnellinger against Balu's right flank. His relative lack of pace was exploited by England in 66.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Or not, it's 13:13 all of a sudden, whoever voted, I love you :)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Ffs, that's mental. I need a few minutes before I can decide who will take the penalties.