We’ve beaten them all...

M Bison

Supports
York City
Why cant you and your pal Mame diouf just leave one positive, nice thread alone.
Is it that hard?
Because it seems an odd thing to celebrate. I’m not intentially being negative and trying to cause a stir, it just seems a funny thing to pat ourselves on the back about.

Ban

Because it seems an odd thing to celebrate. I’m not intentially being negative and trying to cause a stir, it just seems a funny thing to pat ourselves on the back about.
Jesus Christ who's celebrating it?

Moonred

We could have discussed what it means or does it mean anything. Or why this was possible even though we are quite a bit away from the league leaders. Or how there are almost 3 teams in one season achieving this when it’s been a rare occurrence before. Instead we have two whiny rigid fans who can’t let it go.

Jonno

"very good progress" is subjective. I feel that our progress is at the absolute minimum of what it's reasonable to expect having employed a manager purported to be among the world's best and given him hundreds of millions to spend.

It's up to individuals whether or not they appreciate a stat like this. I don't. I care about challenging for honours. I don't expect us to win everything but I'd like us to challenge.
Saying we’ve achieved the absolute minimum of what’s reasonable to expect is also subjective. I’d argue that finishing 4th and a cup final would be minimum of what’s expected right now whilst we’re building our squad to compete

Saying “hundreds of millions to spend” is a very lazy comment to make in 2018. In 2005 I’d have agreed with you, but hundreds of millions only buy you 3-4 players and when you consider the absolute shite Mourinho had as a squad when he took over, it will take another 3-4 players to make us good enough to win a title.

Given that he’s transformed us into a side Who will finish 2nd, on 80 points, who’s won trophies, I’d say he’s the man to be trusted with spending another “hundreds of millions to spend” to take us to the next phase, don’t you?

big rons sovereign

Er... no?

This "record" is much like those talked about for goals or points in calendar years. It's utterly meaningless unless it helps you actually win something.

We're not Wenger's Arsenal. There's nothing to celebrate here.
True, normally a record like it would result in winning the league, but instead tonight we turned up at a rivals party, popped all the balloons and shagged his bird. Seems like plenty to celebrate.

Caius

Pot kettle.

I’m not sure this is really an “achievement“. To me it’s just a stat.
Really I've been thinking about this and I don't know how you can genuinely think that. I mean, scoring against every team in the league isn't an achievement? How about keeping a clean sheet in every game? Those are just stats but I don't know how one couldn't also consider them achievements. This is a separate issue from whether it's something to celebrate.

Red00012

There has been enough of negative stats coming through this season. It’s always good to have a positive.

Rossa

That’s not really how it works but thanks for your input
So how does it work? If you do not care about stats, don’t bother reading about it. If a player scores against this and that team x amounts of times, some find that interesting - see stats on Ronaldo. If you don’t, fine. Wouldn’t bother being an arse about it though.

MAME DIOUF 32

Saying we’ve achieved the absolute minimum of what’s reasonable to expect is also subjective.
Indeed. It's an opinion.

when you consider the absolute shite Mourinho had as a squad when he took over
Again, very much subjective and not something I'd agree with.

Given that he’s transformed us into a side Who will finish 2nd, on 80 points, who’s won trophies, I’d say he’s the man to be trusted with spending another “hundreds of millions to spend” to take us to the next phase, don’t you?
No, I don't. I'm not seeing much evidence that there is a "next phase" under Mourinho. I feel like this is it, really. He spends lots of money on players that he doesn't seem to know how to use. Again, just my opinion.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Really I've been thinking about this and I don't know how you can genuinely think that. I mean, scoring against every team in the league isn't an achievement? How about keeping a clean sheet in every game? Those are just stats but I don't know how one couldn't also consider them achievements. This is a separate issue from whether it's something to celebrate.
I see what you’re saying, but my point really is context. This is nice but if it results in finishing the season empty handed then its pointless and not an achievement at all, in my view.

Premier league football is about winning things, stats are nice-to-haves but ultimately meaningless if you don’t win anything for me.

MAME DIOUF 32

True, normally a record like it would result in winning the league, but instead tonight we turned up at a rivals party, popped all the balloons and shagged his bird. Seems like plenty to celebrate.
We haven't though. We've pinched his balloons, knowing that we're going to have to have to give them back next week. We've taken the shine off the party but we haven't stopped it happening.

M Bison

Supports
York City
So how does it work? If you do not care about stats, don’t bother reading about it. If a player scores against this and that team x amounts of times, some find that interesting - see stats on Ronaldo. If you don’t, fine. Wouldn’t bother being an arse about it though.
The only stat that counts is points on the board and who has the most.

Jonno

Indeed. It's an opinion.

Again, very much subjective and not something I'd agree with.

No, I don't. I'm not seeing much evidence that there is a "next phase" under Mourinho. I feel like this is it, really. He spends lots of money on players that he doesn't seem to know how to use. Again, just my opinion.
Id be inclined to agree with you if we were 7th

deafepl

Might be wrong, but I think Spurs would do it too if they beat City next week.

Too many rubbish teams once you get outside of the top six.

Not taking anything away from today though...especially not as one of the main Jose beating sticks this season has been his "poor" record against the other top six. It

''s actually a pretty impressive record at this point.
Not yet, City is not only one they need to beat. They still are yet to beat West Brom, Leicester City, Watford and City.

Rossa

The only stat that counts is points on the board and who has the most.
What an utterly boring and plain stupid way to look at football.

If a team like Burnley manage to get into top six, should their supporters be as miserable as you and only look at the points on the table to see how far behind City they are?

Or, is it possible that they can look at their achievement and see improvement.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
:lol: People getting all upset just because a couple of posters think these stat achievements are meaningless. Give it a rest. No-one is forcing you to respond to them. Whether or not beating every team is meaningful or not is completely subjective. Fact, we've beaten every team. Hooray. Fact, we're still a mile away from competing for the title. Oh noes. Which one you want to focus on, who gives a shit... :rolleyes:

M Bison

Supports
York City
What an utterly boring and plain stupid way to look at football.

If a team like Burnley manage to get into top six, should their supporters be as miserable as you and only look at the points on the table to see how far behind City they are?

Or, is it possible that they can look at their achievement and see improvement.
Again, you need to look at it in context.

We’ve beaten every team in the league, that in isolation is a nice badge to have but what does it actually mean in the grand scheme of things?

Ban

We should create one big mega thread called Title or nothing where we will write everything cause anything but the title is not worth discussing.