We’ve criminally underused Matic and Mata these past few seasons

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bit of revisionism here.

Matic has played well recently but it wasn't always the case. He had stretches over the last few years where he was absolutely awful and a complete passenger.

Mata again can play well in games that suit, like last night but with most games in the PL the tempo is too high for him. He just gets bullied off the ball.

It is mental though that Mata was 25 when he joined us and it feels like he hardly ever got going.
Case in point.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Short memories.
Of course Matic and Mata are a disaster.

Old and extremely slow, whoever thought those two can do a job is a moron.

DevilRed

We really havent. They should have been gone YEARS ago.

Except due to poor team building and chasing expensive signings, we have neglected the important areas they play in.

Neither have had the legs even under Mourinho ffs.

united for life

Short memories.
Of course Matic and Mata are a disaster.

Old and extremely slow, whoever thought those two can do a job is a moron.
calling people morons for having views different than yours is childish to say the least.

One of the main problems with our system over the last couple of years is that we relied on counter attacks and fast players (useless fast players I may add), to an extent we forgot how to control games. We do not control games. Sometimes you need these slow players, with nonetheless a good football mind, to run the tempo of football matches. Players like pirlo, xavi and many others were slow. Slow doesn’t make a player a bad one. We’ve misused matic and mata over the last couple of years and it hurt us - should’ve been rotated in more often. I am not saying we would’ve won the league, but we would’ve done better than this

mctrials23

I do sometimes question how much thought our fans put into their views. Mata isn't some underutilised wizard who has somehow escaped the notice of all our managers. His strengths and weaknesses are well known and today was a fantastic example of why he rarely plays. Hes too slow, lightweight and can't handle being pressed. I think he would struggle in a good side with a lot of pass and move type players but in the sides United have put out over the past 5-6 years he is an awful choice.

Matic is still class at times but he is slow. Very very slow and he gets caught out for it. Both leaving at the end of the season is a good thing.

el3mel

Mata actually overstayed his welcome. He should have been sold few years ago.

Nice lad and I think he was a good signing all things considered but he has been done at this level of football probably since 2017/2018 under Mourinho.

His last good season with us was in 2017. That's it. The next 5 years have been mediocre to shit with the rare good game here and there.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Didn't understand the love both started getting last week - both have been below prem standard for the best part of 2 years. They were once great players, but that time period is long gone. We'll be better off without them, sadly.