We are an awfully coached team

Womp

idiot
I would say we are clearly behind Man City tactically and technically but defo not with Liverpool.
Liverpool weren't amazing at all, they played long ball after long ball. Salah came up with fantastic moments to affect the scoreline but them as a team ? Not that impressive. The cnuts in blue however... Scary to think what they could be with a proper finisher up front
I disagree. Liverpool's style isn't as sophisticated as City's, for sure, but the pace they play at, the speed at which they move the ball, the unpredictable passing etc. is shite we can only dream of

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Them not having a conventional striker is both working against them and for them, there's an abundance of ball carriers who are technically extremely good.

Why would you say Liverpool, as a team, aren't tactically superior to United? You don't see a much better organised team, with better set pieces at both ends, quicker transitions, higher tempo, clearer purpose (and harder working)? I've been seeing that for 3 years now. Technically is a bit vague, if you're talking individual players, sure, we've got our own, but as a team what makes us technically on par? If you're talking about midfield, where they're weakest, they're still better. Technically as well.
Speaking about today's game specifically of course, not in general. I wasn't impressed by Liverpool as a team nearly as much as I was by City

kouroux

I disagree. Liverpool's style isn't as sophisticated as City's, for sure, but the pace they play at, the speed at which they move the ball, the unpredictable passing etc. is shite we can only dream of
They don't have unpredictable passing. Their football is simple but it works very well for them because their manager has made it easy for them to understand and their attacking (carried magnificently by Salah) can be unstoppable on their day. They play with intensity that Utd lacks a lot.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Speaking about today's game specifically of course, not in general. I wasn't impressed by Liverpool as a team nearly as much as I was by City
Ah, fair enough. Yeah, I thought City outclassed them for the first hour and Milner got lucky not conceding a pen/free kick + yellow card. But the finishing wasn't just about lacking a striker, it was just a bit off. That de Bruyne header for instance, should have definitely worked the keeper there. And Alisson made a superb save when Foden was through (what a ball from Ederson).

Womp

idiot
They don't have unpredictable passing. Their football is simple but it works very well for them because their manager has made it easy for them to understand and their attacking (carried magnificently by Salah) can be unstoppable on their day.
Unpredictable in the sense that due to their pace, they can go long or play short to similar effect. Also, just because their football is simple in comparison to City, doesn't make it any the less impressive imo. The relentless pace they play at has shown it can be just as impactful given he's trumped Pep a few times.

kouroux

Unpredictable in the sense that due to their pace, they can go long or play short to similar effect. Also, just because their football is simple in comparison to City, doesn't make it any the less impressive imo. The relentless pace they play at has shown it can be just as impactful given he's trumped Pep a few times.
I just stated my opinion anyway. They were lucky to have finished this game with 10 players.
City played away from home vs Chelsea/PSG/Liverpool and dominated all the games with various outcomes for each. That's more impressive than what Liverpool has produced this season for me.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We are so far off City, Pool & Chelsea it’s depressing.Despite having as good a squad as any when every player is taken into account .
Kloop said his team were terrible in the first half, you won’t hear that sort of honesty from Ole!
I still can’t believe City didn’t buy Kane. They would canter home if they did.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I find it strange that players who have left the club under Ole have never mentioned anything negative about the coaching they received at United nor have they mentioned Ole is weak tactically.

However I have seen a lot of players who were critical of these things under the previous managers Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho.

If Ole is such a poor coach how come people who have worked for him never mention it ?
I always think back to the interview Matic gave where he just talked about Ole improving as a manager and starting to understand what he needs to do in certain situations. This is a guy that's managed as long as Pep Guardiola.

It wasn't implied but if you read between the lines then you can see that Ole is obviously not that great or anything. But then our football does show that anyway.

Imagine going to work at the office and telling your boss that to do the basics of your job description you'll be needing a new premium $2000 hand-crafted maple desk, a new $750 chair, a $3000 spanking new laptop with the latest graphics card, AND a team around you who are better than you at everything you do to support you.

Jesus. Some people on this forum are literally out of touch with reality.
Thanks for this. The idea that Ole just needs to surround himself with better coaches and tacticians and he remain the face of the team, is absolutely laughable. I've never heard anything like it in football.

The lengths these lot will go to in order to try and absolve Ole, or find a way of keeping him, is honestly outrageous. I've just scrolled through the thread and seen excuses such as he still needs more players (a sickening suggestion when you consider what he's been given already) and that the fans in the stadium might be preventing players from heading eachother. They might be innocent suggestions, but it's all just a bit ridiculous. No other manager gets this level of protection from their fans. Rightly or wrongly they can only be judged on the performances on the pitch.

Eddy_JukeZ

Imagine going to work at the office and telling your boss that to do the basics of your job description you'll be needing a new premium $2000 hand-crafted maple desk, a new $750 chair, a $3000 spanking new laptop with the latest graphics card, AND a team around you who are better than you at everything you do to support you.

Jesus. Some people on this forum are literally out of touch with reality.
Pretty much sums it up.

NewYorkRed

We have regressed since last year. That should worry every ManUtd fan right now. He also does not seem to be learning from mistakes that he makes. I unfortunately just don’t see it working out. Problem is, who would we even bring in? Conte is a no for me. Zidane is definitely an interesting option but I’m not convinced that he’d be a success here.

Womp

idiot
We have regressed since last year. That should worry every ManUtd fan right now. He also does not seem to be learning from mistakes that he makes. I unfortunately just don’t see it working out. Problem is, who would we even bring in? Conte is a no for me. Zidane is definitely an interesting option but I’m not convinced that he’d be a success here.
There's no guarantee that anyone would be a success. I think it'll depend on when Ole goes. If it's later on in the season and we have nothing to play for (which I believe will be the case, if he does get sacked), just get an interim for the rest of the season and bring in Ten Hag or even Potter if the board is feeling risky. Otherwise, I think it'll be Zidane or Conte.

Foxbatt

Them not having a conventional striker is both working against them and for them, there's an abundance of ball carriers who are technically extremely good.

Why would you say Liverpool, as a team, aren't tactically superior to United? You don't see a much better organised team, with better set pieces at both ends, quicker transitions, higher tempo, clearer purpose (and harder working)? I've been seeing that for 3 years now. Technically is a bit vague, if you're talking individual players, sure, we've got our own, but as a team what makes us technically on par? If you're talking about midfield, where they're weakest, they're still better. Technically as well.
Technically we have much better individual players than Liverpool. As a team they look to be better. The two interviews by Tuchel and Klopp gave us a lot of insight as to what they think about football. Both of them have won the CL, the highest club trophy.

NewYorkRed

There's no guarantee that anyone would be a success. I think it'll depend on when Ole goes. If it's later on in the season and we have nothing to play for (which I believe will be the case, if he does get sacked), just get an interim for the rest of the season and bring in Ten Hag or even Potter if the board is feeling risky. Otherwise, I think it'll be Zidane or Conte.
Potter won’t work here. Don’t know much about Ten Hag. Would be vary of someone who’s only coached in the dutch league though. Nagelsmann would have been the ideal choice imo.

Womp

idiot
Potter won’t work here. Don’t know much about Ten Hag. Would be vary of someone who’s only coached in the dutch league though. Nagelsmann would have been the ideal choice imo.
Think Potter will end up having a very good career. That Brighton team is far greater than the sum of their parts due to the football they play. I do agree it's probably not likely though, too big a step up, think he'll go to a Spurs/Southampton level side first.

Ten Hag has managed to match some of the best teams in Europe in the CL with a far more modest budget. My preference was Nagelsmann too, but Ten Hag is the best progressive manager available imo.

InfiniteBoredom

Potter would be a very risky choice, yes, but stranger things have happened in football. Arrigo Sacchi came straight from the runner up in Serie B to lead Milan to their first league title in 9 years in his first season, Nagelsman is 33 years old and already the head coach of Bayern Munich and they are doing just fine. Mourinho didnt have the best rep around here nowadays but his breakthrough at Porto was similarly meteoric.

You just have to take a leap of faith and bank on a manager on the up, if those at the absolute zenith of their career isnt available. Sure, it can end in a debacle like AvB with Chelsea, but at least not for want of trying, and not like Chelsea had trouble winning since.

Duncan the Great

Just unacceptable, Ole smiling his way through post match interviews week in week out. Surely he must be questioning his own ability when, with the squad he has, the performances are virtual non-league stuff. He'd struggle coaching a Sunday league side, completely out of his depth in the PL! One can only hope Ronaldo's standing can influence the board as it is obvious he can see the need for change at coaching level. Show Ole the door a.s.a.p., it's becoming a real embarrassment

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
It would be interesting to find out how many of the current squad actually want Ole gone.

VDB obviously has his reasons but the rest of the players, for the exception of Ronaldo, Cavani, Varane, Sancho and Bruno, seem very content revelling in mediocrity.

Flytan

It would be interesting to find out how many of the current squad actually want Ole gone.

VDB obviously has his reasons but the rest of the players, for the exception of Ronaldo, Cavani, Varane, Sancho and Bruno, seem very content revelling in mediocrity.

Yeah I have no true if this is true at all and would probably like some other opinions about it, but players have said many times that they like training under ole. Is that necessarily a good thing? Feels like if players are complacent training under him may not be as intense or serious as other clubs. Again no true, but saying that just feels weird to me.

Interested in how someone like Ronaldo feels like training here

Jackal981

Said this in the match thread. Sad to say but this liverpool football is the closest of United SAF era. We should be playing like them. They rely on moments of magic too (like today and when they won the league scoring stoppage time goals) like the old United but their level of organization is far above our current squad

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
We have a really tough run if fixtures coming up, can see the fans getting restless if we produce more performances like we have vs Villa and Everton, only then might we see the incompetents running the club grow a set of balls and sack Ole.
How he managed to get a 3 year extension still baffles me.
Apart from top 4 finishes hes failed to deliver.
Still hasnt worked out how to play against a low block team, over 3 years and still hasnt figured it out, means hes highly unlikely to do so.
Has been backed to the tune of 300m and struggled against bang average sides.
If he has the clubs best interest at heart like he claims he would admit the job is too big for him and hand in his resignation...I wont hold my breath.

meninred

Ole has to stop playing two DM in home games . We are not cyrsal palace or something.I hope he doesnot repeat this agains a noriwch or so.
if you judge from this week performance 4th place is nailed for us.
the three teams seems far apart from us.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ole has to stop playing two DM in home games . We are not cyrsal palace or something.I hope he doesnot repeat this agains a noriwch or so.
McFred are basically 2 players doing the work of 1 DM. They're just too limited in what they can do individually.

patter

Our team coachs Ole and Carrick are our great players, but they aren't enough good coachs.

Well no you said Ole can't take Pep on tactically. Can't adapt to anything Pep does on a pitch.

Despite Ole repeatedly beating Pep with a lesser team.

There's legit criticism and then there's having a go for the sake of it.
That's not what I said. I said Ole is unable to read a game and respond to what's going on. If we don't get the tactics right from the start it's a total lottery from there.

City was a good example because they were so dominant and Klopp identified the exact problem.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The problem is that he doesn't have a single energetic CDM so he plays two of his most energetic CM together in Fred and Mctominay to make up for it.

We see this when he chooses Matic - he regularly pairs him with a player like Pogba.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He's laughing because he still can't believe he's the Manchester United manager. I'd be laughing as well if I were him.

When his amazing journey ends, he'll go back to manage his home town team in Norway and probably still be laughing. Football, bloody hell.

mancan92

Yeah agree. But it still takes some tactical ability to fairly consistently beat City right?

I get his point but it's clearly wrong. Ole can respond to Peps tactics.

Looking at your final point it seems we've reached that stage where Ole isn't just getting fairly criticised. He's not going to get any credit at all.
It's facts my guy

Marwood

That's not what I said. I said Ole is unable to read a game and respond to what's going on. If we don't get the tactics right from the start it's a total lottery from there.

City was a good example because they were so dominant and Klopp identified the exact problem.
So Ole can best Pep from the first minute but he can’t do it from say 30 min in? It just doesn't make sense.

On top of that how many times have we been rubbish first half and turned it around in the second? So many examples. Does that not have anything to do with Ole making changes part way through a game?

wolvored

Just unacceptable, Ole smiling his way through post match interviews week in week out. Surely he must be questioning his own ability when, with the squad he has, the performances are virtual non-league stuff. He'd struggle coaching a Sunday league side, completely out of his depth in the PL! One can only hope Ronaldo's standing can influence the board as it is obvious he can see the need for change at coaching level. Show Ole the door a.s.a.p., it's becoming a real embarrassment
When he first got the job permanently didnt he say if he can't improve the team and win trophies he would step down? He wouldn't step down if we were in 10th place because he says he can improve the team, when it's only getting worse and he knows this is his only chance at managing a big team

wolvored

We have a really tough run if fixtures coming up, can see the fans getting restless if we produce more performances like we have vs Villa and Everton, only then might we see the incompetents running the club grow a set of balls and sack Ole.
How he managed to get a 3 year extension still baffles me.
Apart from top 4 finishes hes failed to deliver.
Still hasnt worked out how to play against a low block team, over 3 years and still hasnt figured it out, means hes highly unlikely to do so.
Has been backed to the tune of 300m and struggled against bang average sides.
If he has the clubs best interest at heart like he claims he would admit the job is too big for him and hand in his resignation...I wont hold my breath.
£411 mill

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Half of the replies are regarding Ole
A relevant point to us there (other than it being a stick to beat Ole with because he doesn't speak like Klopp) is that when he talks about what was wrong tactically in terms of defending against City, he then points out the knock-on effect the "bad feeling" it created had on their decision making on the ball too, as they started hitting stupid long balls to nowhere.

In our terms, if we're not set-up correctly to deal with certain aspects of the game (defensive transitions say, with opponents easily cutting through us with counter-attacks) then the impact isn't just on that aspect of the game but also on our general play. The players (not being robots) are as aware as we are of how vulnerable they are in those moments and that makes it more difficult for them to keep making good decisions or avoid making basic errors.

So Ole can best Pep from the first minute but he can’t do it from say 30 min in? It just doesn't make sense.

On top of that how many times have we been rubbish first half and turned it around in the second? So many examples. Does that not have anything to do with Ole making changes part way through a game?
You're not getting this. It's got nothing to do with Pep. You could replace him with 18 other names from the PL.

Our performances are a lottery. Sometimes we line up well and play well from the start, sometimes we don't, but if we don't then our coaching staff have no clue how to change things. Our subs and tactical changes are random and sometimes they work, but just as often they don't or even make us worse. There is no logic to them and therefore no consistency. It's akin to guessing. 'We need a goal? Let's sub on a striker'. 'They're attacking us? Let's bring on a defender'.

That's Sunday League level of thinking and was highlighted yesterday in the way Klopp knew exactly what was wrong in the first half and made the correct tactical change without needing to swap any of his players. We just can't do that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
ok. I guess, there is no point elaborating this any further.
Well, there is.

The only reason why you see a lot of teams with players of lesser quality on the ball playing good is because you watched them playing against team with much more possession on the ball or with almost 50:50 possession on the ball. You will find it rare to see teams with players of lesser quality on the ball playing good vs lowblock because you need technical players if you have lot of possession.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You're not getting this. It's got nothing to do with Pep. You could replace him with 18 other names from the PL.

Our performances are a lottery. Sometimes we line up well and play well from the start, sometimes we don't, but if we don't then our coaching staff have no clue how to change things. Our subs and tactical changes are random and sometimes they work, but just as often they don't or even make us worse. There is no logic to them and therefore no consistency. It's akin to guessing. 'We need a goal? Let's sub on a striker'. 'They're attacking us? Let's bring on a defender'.

That's Sunday League level of thinking and was highlighted yesterday in the way Klopp knew exactly what was wrong in the first half and made the correct tactical change without needing to swap any of his players. We just can't do that.
Exactly this! We could play well against Liverpool and win but go on to drop points against Watford. I am tired of keeping count of the number of false dawns we have had.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
It's the system. 4231 requires 2 solid DM's that break up play and feed the front 4. Fred and McTom are not DMs. Matic is the only DM and he can't play in a 2. UTD can play a 433 but Bruno cannot play because he is not solid enough. They can play a 532 which would probably suit Fred, Bruno and McTom the best. They can play a 442 diamond with Bruno but they have to leave Sancho, Rashord etc on the bench.

The real problem is not Ole, it is a collection of players suited to different systems. Poor planning.

MUFC OK

Does anyone believe that Carrick contributes anything meaningful? He looks so confused and sits there with a furrowed brow, earphones in.

I think that Carrick, Mckenna have no better ideas than Ole, after all, they're learning on the job like him. Ole is too nice to get rid of them for the competent, experienced coaches we need.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
£411 mill
Thats alot to spend to still have no discernible style and have the inability to successfully negate the low block.
Ole said he was still working out a shape/style of play after Neville said he didnt see a style or pattern to the teams play.
Still working out a system/style after 3 years and £411m spend...the future bodes well with Ole :(