We are an awfully coached team

Andersons Dietician

All those jokes scoffing at patterns of play. It's almost like we enjoy being crap.
Isn’t there a conversation between me and someone who says they were a coach or around teams or something and denied that patterns of play was a thing. Said it was a buzz phrase made up by the CAF or something and no club uses such terminology.

stw2022

The most damming line of all: “We’re too close”. Despite everything he’s seen this season let alone tonight he still thinks this is the right path. He still believes we’re going in the right direction. How can you begin to have faith in him to tackle the problem if he can’t see one.

2-0 down against a half-strength Atalanta at home. It should have been more. He picks same 11 that went in at half time behind 2-1 because, in his words, he thought that team played really well.

Delusional doesn’t begin to cover it. It’s concerning. Deeply concerning.

If he gets another match we’ll approach it the exact same way, will probably get hammered again and he still won’t see anything wrong in his approach, preparation or set up. I wouldn’t mind betting that - goals aside - he won’t be too disappointed with todays performance.

stw2022

Nothing wrong with how we play then eh? If he’s still in job will be same vs Spurs

Flytan

We give up a goal in the 6th minute and he's complaining about us going forward. Absolute joke of a manager man

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ll keep saying it, this is exactly what we deserve as a fanbase. He’s been allowed to say crap like this his whole tenure. The reason he still comes out with this crap is cause people lapped it up.

‘the coaching staff are brilliant’, he’s praised himself & his staff after that crap ffs!

lex talionis

A joke, but not funny. The owners have invested a huge sum into buying new players but the manager has squandered all that money into assembling a mid table club.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Scholes as good as saying this. Was critical of our performance in midweek

Womp

idiot
Isn’t there a conversation between me and someone who says they were a coach or around teams or something and denied that patterns of play was a thing. Said it was a buzz phrase made up by the CAF or something and no club uses such terminology.
:lol: The lengths some went to to try and defend Ole in some of the discussions I've had the past few years. I've had circumstances where people suggested coaching wasn't important and it was all down to the quality of players. What exactly is the point of hiring coaches then? I am yet to even get a response.

peridigm

I remember one of Ole's first interviews when he took over talking about how unfit our players were and we didn't run enough and we couldn't run enough and that was going to change. What happened to that? Our players look as unfit as they've ever been.

But @RUCK4444 tells me all we need is a top DM and all of our plethora of problems will simply melt away.

Bang on Scholes, we’re like a fecking kids team, no midfield pairing can make up for all of the issues we have as one of the most naive top sides I’ve ever witnessed. Get the system right, and like Fergie you can play Cleverley and Ando in midfield and look class, or Klopp with Milner, Pep with Lahm etc. Hell Ten Hag has lost 6 of his starting 11 in the past two years, just as Klopp did at Dortmund, yet other players simply slot in, as the system is much more important than any individual player.

Foxbatt

He said the same thing before the match. He said that this was going to happen. He said that Greenwood must shoulder the blame for the first goal and he is shirking his responsibilites

Womp

idiot
We were always awfully coached - which is why Ole-ball was so reliant on results. That being said, we are currently equal points with Arsenal and only 2 points ahead of Brentford who have had harder starts to the season than ourselves. Brighton and Moyes managed West Ham are currently ahead of us on points.

:eek:

RUCK4444

But @RUCK4444 tells me all we need is a top DM and all of our plethora of problems will simply melt away.

Bang on Scholes, we’re like a fecking kids team, no midfield pairing can make up for all of the issues we have as one of the most naive top sides I’ve ever witnessed. Get the system right, and like Fergie you can play Cleverley and Ando in midfield and look class, or Klopp with Milner, Pep with Lahm etc. Hell Ten Hag has lost 6 of his starting 11 in the past two years, just as Klopp did at Dortmund, yet other players simply slot in, as the system is much more important than any individual player.
I didn’t say it would fix every issue, I’ve said the coaching can be questioned, just that the squad (no matter who the managers is) definitely needs a DM.

What’s the first signing you would like the next manager to make? DM. Obviously.

Give me a shout when the next manager is winning us the league with McFred pal :rolleyes:

Jezpeza

I didn’t say it would fix every issue, I’ve said the coaching can be questioned, just that the squad (no matter who the managers is) definitely needs a DM.

What’s the first signing you would like the next manager to make? DM. Obviously.

Give me a shout when the next manager is winning us the league with McFred pal :rolleyes:
Yes. Although McFred should be sufficient for beating teams like southampton which we have failed to do, but we are always going to lose out in a midfield battle against teams with class cm/cdm players. You just wouldnt fancy those two to come out on top against the midfield of city, liverpool or chelsea. Thats going to inhibit us winning the league, or any cups in all likelihoods, regardless of manager.

The funny thing about the ‘patterns of play’ stuff is that actually, its our work when we aren't playing the ball thats costing us dear. Some of the team seem to want to press, some stand still, the others try to drop back. There are league 2 teams that are comfortably better than us off the ball. Its shite.

midou

You can't rely on individual quality in defence and without the ball in general. It can work in attack sometimes when a world class player(s) produces a moment of brilliance but in defence you need organisation, setup, coaching coverages, tracking runners etc.

We have zero coaching all around.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
That was as ugly as it gets. The result was not even surprising. There is a night and day gulf between us and Liverpool.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The most damming line of all: “We’re too close”. Despite everything he’s seen this season let alone tonight he still thinks this is the right path. He still believes we’re going in the right direction. How can you begin to have faith in him to tackle the problem if he can’t see one.

2-0 down against a half-strength Atalanta at home. It should have been more. He picks same 11 that went in at half time behind 2-1 because, in his words, he thought that team played really well.

Delusional doesn’t begin to cover it. It’s concerning. Deeply concerning.

If he gets another match we’ll approach it the exact same way, will probably get hammered again and he still won’t see anything wrong in his approach, preparation or set up. I wouldn’t mind betting that - goals aside - he won’t be too disappointed with todays performance.
I think ole might be delusional. The way he set out against atalanta with 2 in the middle and 4 upfront as if we would rip them a new one, we were lucky to pull out a win against a second string atalanta and then to try the same stunt against an in form liverpool. And there are many more examples.

Its a deadly cocktail of delusion, arrogance and stubbornness.

The United

Our defensive game has been almost the worst in the league apparently. Not that it is surprising.

It just looks like that we don't have players who can tackle the ball and win cleanly except for maybe AWB at times.

Which is surprising.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Gary criticised team selection and set up but when Jamie said it’s coaching issue, he just ignored him :lol:

RUCK4444

Yes. Although McFred should be sufficient for beating teams like southampton which we have failed to do, but we are always going to lose out in a midfield battle against teams with class cm/cdm players. You just wouldnt fancy those two to come out on top against the midfield of city, liverpool or chelsea. Thats going to inhibit us winning the league, or any cups in all likelihoods, regardless of manager.

The funny thing about the ‘patterns of play’ stuff is that actually, its our work when we aren't playing the ball thats costing us dear. Some of the team seem to want to press, some stand still, the others try to drop back. There are league 2 teams that are comfortably better than us off the ball. Its shite.
Largely agree.

Were terrible out of possession, I think Ole is trying to convert to a pressing team. That’s what he wanted when he first arrived, then realised the players we had suited a counterattack system far better. In his attempt to transition to a pressing system were making a complete mess of it and making ourselves very easy to play against through non-effective pressing, like we’ve seen all season.

Our work rate is poor in comparison to the league averages as well, which surprises me a tad becuase Ole has mentioned before multiple times that the least he expects is us to have the same or better effort/fitness as other sides, but we are failing on that front as well it seems.

Gary mentioned that Ronaldo had players like a young Rooney, Tevez, Park and Fletcher as a foil in the past, our forwards (Cavani aside) don’t have that work rate. It’s showing up when we’re trying to press.

The lack of a stable base in midfield allows opponents to fully take advantage of this, like they have all season so far, that’s my point on DM, it’s not a magic fix it just brings more of a natural balance to work from.

Robbie Boy

All those jokes scoffing at patterns of play. It's almost like we enjoy being crap.
Embarrassing. People only scoffed at it due to their own lack of understanding of modern day tactics. That, and to deflect away from Ole's 90's tactics. Who looks foolish now eh...

A lot of 'Ole fans' on here are going to come out of his tenure looking very bad.

Sultan

Were you at the game Sultan?
Yes

I tell you the performance was a lot worse than what you watched on TV. They are being sliced open at will. This is not even a surprise it's been coming over the last 5/6 games.

Sultan

Were you at the game Sultan?
I was also at Leicester away. Had they had a better team they would have also embarrassed the team. Villareal should also have scored 5 goals in the first half.

Foxbatt

Yes

I tell you the performance was a lot worse than what you watched on TV. They are being sliced open at will. This is not even a surprise it's been coming over the last 5/6 games.
I have never felt this bad even during Jose's time. With Jose we knew that he wanted to get sacked in the end. This is much worse. This is delusional. I have been to OT many times but obviously never been at a game that we conceded so many goals.

How did the fans react?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yes

How's the general reaction ? Is the crowd still supporting Ole ?

binary bot
Thought it summed us up in the first half when we isolated Alexandre Arnold 2 or 3 times and couldn't take advantage of it.

spiriticon

Paul Scholes was literally begging Ole on TV not to play this tactic against Liverpool. Begging.

And we are listening to 'fine margins' and 'we go again next week' on his post match team talk.

Feck.

Womp

idiot
I nearly miss the LVG philosophy days. Ok it’s not that bad but it’s close.
TBF I don't have as bad an opinion on that system as some on here do. The problem with LVG was his tiki-taka was a more horizontal approach, rather than a vertical approach, but if we continued down that route, when considering our managerial appointments etc. we'd have won some trophies by this stage and playing far better football. We needed to hire another progressive, possession based coach with a more modern outlook on the style, instead we sacked it completely and went with Mourinho then to Ole who are both pragmatic, counter attacking coaches.

At least with LVG, you could see what was being implemented and games like Juanfield where we went head to head with our rivals rather than sitting deep and hoping to counter seem like a pipe dream now.