We are an awfully coached team

Fooza

I'm not even going to blame Ole on this game though. But i'll save you all time, we are not going to progress anywhere close to the finals. Everyone will claim we are still in a 'process' and that'd be it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think that was atrocious at times, but that is mainly because the players didn't turn up. Midfield got dominated and both attack and defence dropped deep to remedy not getting on the ball. The press of Milan simply worked and neither McTominay or Matic could carry the burden in midfield against a technical side that also managed to out muscle those two. Didn't help that the ref gave them soft freekicks when we used some force, and just let shit slide when we went down easy. It helps to create the unbalance we saw, we were too nice and lacked both technical quality and leaders. Tactically wasn't impressive but I'm not sure we would have played better another way considering our bench options. A tired Fred, bad McTominay and bad Matic isn't enough to outplay AC Milan's midfield, it just isn't. Lacked the hunger to go win the duels, and it was proved that was our main problem right at the end.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Agree with this. I think our squad has moved in the right direction with a lot more quality but unfortunately our performances are completely disjointed time and time again.

And the subs, jesus feck the subs.
Ole's subs need more attention in general - in-game management has always been his poorest attribute and he's not improving at all.

cyberman

All true but it’s very concerning that these performances are becoming more and more common and further and further from being outliers.
Yep, looks like we are dead on our feet. As a lot of sides are at the minute I suppose.
These last few months are going to be a low quality end of season for most clubs.

SAFMUTD

Why are we so easy to push back?

The front players (Martial, Greenwood, Bruno) are ridiculously bad at defending. It's so easy to play through their "pressing".
Its because pressing needs to be coached, its not just running to the defender. We need to press as a structure, but again that needs coaching and our pressing is either not coached or pretty poorly coached at best.

Foxbatt

I'm not even going to blame Ole on this game though. But i'll save you all time, we are not going to progress anywhere close to the finals. Everyone will claim we are still in a 'process' and that'd be it.
We have been in a "process" since SAF left. Every manager and some of their fans say it. This was the same with Moyes, LVG, Jose and now Ole. We will still claim we are in a "process" when we do not win the PL or CL in the next 20 years. They use the word transition. Transition my arse.

AgentSmith

Just look at results and performences and compare them to 3 years back and you'll see progress. Steady progress. Not everything changes over a night.
The only positive tonight was Amad’s contributions and that was a change Ole was forced into.

I agree that there’s been general progress since the darkest days under Mourinho but you’re trolling if you thought tonight was an example of ‘good coaching’.

RedDevilzFox

And this is why playing the counterattacking game is the easiest to coach that almost all lesser managers fall for it. Its very hard to "coach" being on the front foot playing football in tight spaces and maintaining a shape while pressing opposition into mistakes. And this is why Pep is unique.

dove

Our set piece defending is criminal and it is 100% to do with coaching (or most likely lack of it). Manager is to blame.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Our complete inability to defend set plays is a coaching issue. It happens way too many times for it not to be. That's not to defend individuals, of course, but we are so consistently bad at it that it goes deeper than that.

Jackal981

We have been in a "process" since SAF left. Every manager and some of their fans say it. This was the same with Moyes, LVG, Jose and now Ole. We will still claim we are in a "process" when we do not win the PL or CL in the next 20 years. They use the word transition. Transition my arse.
More like transition to Liverpool in early 2000s

Chairman Steve

OGS has been here almost two and a half years and we still go long periods of looking disjointed and heavily reliant on individual brilliance or penalties bailing us out. If a team restricts space for our players or deploys a bus, we look completely stumped.

How many times have we read in post match threads something alone the lines of “well Player X had a nightmare game and thats why we looked shite” on a regular basis? It’s a serious problem surely?

Fooza

They'll say meh who cares about trophies, we made progress!!! Look second in the league!! The process is working. I do think no matter what happens now that's pretty much where it'll be.

Jackal981

Why are our wingers playing so wide like its early 2000s ? Anyone can explain maybe

90 + 5min

The only positive tonight was Amad’s contributions and that was a change Ole was forced into.

I agree that there’s been general progress since the darkest days under Mourinho but you’re trolling if you thought tonight was an example of ‘good coaching’.
Well, I was just replaying in the same way to those who just wait for a little thing that go against us to have a go at our manager.

Of course he and the team could have done better. Especially with the subs even if I understand they were done with West Ham on the mind. It backfired this time..

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Just look at results and performences and compare them to 3 years back and you'll see progress. Steady progress. Not everything changes over a night.
3 years ago we were a distant 2nd in the league and about to go out of the Champions League..

Now we’re a distant 2nd in the league and about to go out of the Europa league...

weird time frame to chose

Wayne's World

Same shit every time with Ole...We'll win one game and we think we have turned a corner and then when there's a sniff of challenging for trophies, he shits himself.

Going nowhere and never will. And we won't remember beating City away in a year's time but we'll remember when City won the league

Godfather

Our performances are as bad as under the worst Moyes and Mourinho days. Zero progress and I mean zero

SeanyC

Are you not watching the same performances like the rest of us? I honestly don't see where we are going under Ole. There has been too many false dawns and poor performances this year to not question whether he is the guy for this job.
You do see that we are missing Pogba, Cavani, Martial and Rashford. Come on! We are powerless without them and it’s not exactly like we can go buy players right at this moment.

SeanyC

So what are you going to say in defense if this shitshow? Milan was playing their reserves too.
Missing quality players through injury...least the defence has been better lately when everyone has being having at go at our back four for ages. Just missing the spark, if we had that we win this game comfortably. Not everything is on the manager

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Milan are a decent side, but having said that they looked much better on the ball, than when we were on the ball.

Tonight, you could have said Mourinho was still managing us we were so poor on the ball and relying on individual brilliance to bail us out.

Said it to my mate about a month ago that i dont think we will win anything this season, and i stand by it.

90 + 5min

3 years ago we were a distant 2nd in the league and about to go out of the Champions League..

Now we’re a distant 2nd in the league and about to go out of the Europa league...

3 years back to today. Form having players who almost didn't want to play for us to now.

Our performances are as bad as under the worst Moyes and Mourinho days. Zero progress and I mean zero
I don't agree at all. Mourinho was great first year but other then that it was stady going down with his mood. And I am fan of Mourinho.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Milan are a decent side, but having said that they looked much better on the ball, than when we were on the ball.

Tonight, you could have said Mourinho was still managing us we were so poor on the ball and relying on individual brilliance to bail us out.

Said it to my mate about a month ago that i dont think we will win anything this season, and i stand by it.
Bold statement

Velvet Revolver

This is what has saved Ole the entire season. Even last season, it's individual performance over team that has give this team the wins. Rashford, Bruno ( 2nd half of the season) and greenwood.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Bold statement
I think we may come close like last year but ultimately falter close to the finish line.

Ole is still a world class Striker and a good CB away from winning something i feel. Unless greenwood comes good.

roonaldo78

:lol: Are you really now defining progress as 'getting players in who want to play for us' now? Oh dear
We really have very low expectations, unfortunately this allows the likes of Woodward and co to get off the hook.

Fooza

No. I'm saying it was that bad that players wanted out. Both on and of the pitch
You can't really hold on to that anymore, let it go mate. We in that period where we need to look at progress aka winning trophies and having a serious playing style now that's consistent - which we ain't.

Even Ole's signing are still question marks:

Maguire - meh
Wan-bissaka - meh great defender, average going forward
James - meh

Bruno - Would do well under any manager, brilliant player.

So it's time to question if we really are 'progressing',

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It is subtle really. I remember fourish years ago a commentator saying Guardiola was the best in the world at passing the ball into the net from two yards out. The way his players move and work the ball allows them to do that. How many times have we dont that this season alone? Its a rhetorical question, because it is very few. Against Leeds and Southampton at home perhaps.

Usually we score through individual brilliance, either through the finisher or the assister. Like tonight.

But if you look at coaches like Flick, Guardiola, Nagglesman, Ten Hag, they are methodical in how they create chances. It is a team effort. They score through collective brilliance along side individual brilliance. Whereas we are just individual brilliance.

In fairness to Ole it does come off. We are after beating City who were the in form team across the top leagues in europe.

I just think we can play much better. Having said that if the board persist with Ole, we need a world class striker ASAP. And another CB.

Womp

idiot
No need to go back there as I am ManUtd supporter and been that for some decades. But it is ok. Feel free to call me what you want if it makes your day better now that we have drawn.

I don't see a draw as a catastrophic result as some of you.
It's also not just about the results. It's about the consistently shite football that by no stretch of the imagination inspires confidence moving forward

Foxbatt

this is funny if not so tragic.