We are an awfully coached team

MikeeMike

Are we an awfully coached team?

No, probably not. But to how much of an extent is pretty impossible to say without defining the term first (which btw. also applies to terms like patterns of play).

If we define it by being prepared for matches, knowing about key players of the opposition, finding an appropriate lineup and formation, then we are obviously not awfully coached. We might not be masterfully coached in all situations, but certainly not awfully.

If we define the term by having some and having implemented some passing routines (or patterns of play) to improve our handling of certain situations in a match, or with addressing weaknesses in our play than it is way more difficult to just shrug the question of. (I mean who isn't at least a bit puzzled by the fact that we are usually pretty suspect defending set pieces since ages?)

Passing routines and/or patterns of play is something different than a system or a tactic for me. It sits on way more tangible level and is more specific. When I say it I mean prepared and to some extent revised and trained movements with and without the ball. Often tiki-taka or Klopps Liverpool are mentioned in that context and I think that's in a way correct but they created whole systems out of shedloads of patterns of play. If we mix all those terms and meanings together, of course you can come to the conclusion that we as a team might not be ready to use that kind of thing, but it isnt a tiki-taka system that most on here want to see being introduced but only some minor parts of it.

Lets get one thing out of the way, because I know it has been discussed here lately: it certainly isn't either patterns of play or individual brilliance. One can cover deficits of the other but the best teams of the previous years showed, that you gain a lot from partnering both concepts with each other. Manchester United should certainly explore that approach as it would open some doors that currently seem to be locked.

Prepared "maneuvers" would increase the speed of play which then would lead to providing less comfort for opposition teams and defenses against us. Right now, we make it relatively easy for them to stay in shape because we move the ball with a slow pace. Having some routines would not only tackle the issue of individual brilliance, it could also help the speed of play and it will add an element of off-the-ball-movement. It would also give some level of security to some of our players, when they recognize a prepared move they know where to be and which area is taken care of, less insecurity more room to focus on execution. It also would relief a bit of the creative burden, that is currently more or less solely on the shoulders of Bruno and Rashford.

For example one such move could be: Shaw receives the ball from the CB after a goalkick when he is around the halfway line, this triggers the move, the LW will come short, the CAM will move into space, ready to receive the ball from Shaw or the LW. He is then able to have some quick interplay with either the CM or the ST or the LW, who, if he pulled his defender out of position by coming short to Shaw, can then start to attack that space ready to receive the ball for a cross. The benefit of this prepared move would be, that Shaw only has to find out if CAM is reachable or not, if he isn't he either picks the easy ball to LW or CM. If anything goes south one of the CB will be ready to punt the ball forward. This might be stupid example, I am not a coach at the end of the day, but I think it shows the thing I have in mind. The benefits are obvious to me. Having one or two such moves ready will never be anything that harms us.

I have seen the notion, that patterns of play or an "all-too-rigid"-system would also be an issue as it would be easier to counter it. Well, at first, the level of rigidity is decided by the manager. It is not intended to restrict free decisions by competent players - it is only meant to create more and more promising options. And lets not pretend that Manchester United has a well-working freeflowing system that we should do anything to not disturb. We usually do not create much high-percentage chances, so why not adapt some new tools for the players to use. Not only that but the move I described might happen exactly like that without any preparation anyway but it wont be as fast then. If our experiences with such moves are good we could deploy more or different ones which then also will help us, to better define what sort of players we need to target for transfer or to promote from the academy.

To be honest, in my view there is not even a little downside to that. On the contrary I think that the approach, that seems to be the most supported on here, to just wait and hope for a successful summer transfer window, is irresponsible (in my personal view). We all know United's transfer activities over the last years, we know their issues. We already have been informed about the shortages due to the effects of the pandemic. On top of that, probably there will be an international tournament happening during the summer - so the odds in my view are pretty dire.

We have to find ways to play better with the players available. Of course we should (and have to) strengthen the squad. Of course a more systematic approach will not automatically lead to unlimited success but it would be a step in the right direction (as I would consider such an approach as pretty modern). Pochettino, Rose, Nagelsmann, Bielsa, Potter - patterns of play enable their teams to punch above their weight so there must be something that is at the very least worth exploring. I dont care if we add another assistant coach who is able to do that, or if Carrick and McKenna get together and find some ways - but the game evolves and we have to keep in touch with it.

There is no valid reason to not have this kind of thing as another (additional) arrow in the quiver. I cant speak for the other posters on here but I think, at least some of them see it exactly like that: an additional arrow next to the arrows we already have (and where the fanbase seems so divided about their respective qualities). Diminishing that aspect of the game just because somebody threw a thing that looked alike as criticism against the manager is a very bad idea.

(on a personal note: 1st post on redcafe after at least 8 years of reading, happy to be here)
Brilliant post. Balanced view backed up with cogent analysis.
I’d just like to see more of a “plan B” or change of tactics during matches. For example. We look predicatable (at home) and opponents set up knowing the tactics, Substitutions (or lack of) are puzzling, cornerkicks constantly aimed at Maguire back post.

Foxbatt

And long-term planning prevents us from implementing lets just say exploring more modern ways to play the game because... what? We can plan the next 10 years squad-wise but that means nothing if we don't start to improve players that are available and to make them play together as a team. If Ole isn't the one to implement that sort of thing, he can bring somebody in. But for some reason he doesn't do that. For the arguments sake - lets move away for a minute from the counterattacking-possession-PatternsOfPlay issue: what is your take on the matter that we suck at defending set pieces since at least 2 years but it doesn't improve. I heard there are coaches specifically for that. Would it be against the long term planning, to get somebody like that in for a while to address an apparent issue?
What about attacking at set pieces? We have been horrible at it. Look at throw ins. What we have do not give me any confidence at all. As you said the off the ball movement is horrible. That is why we stop at the final third. Especially against team with low blocks. We need to shift them and unless we pass and pass with precision and move off the ball intelligently, we would not be able to do so.

GoldTrafford99

If you are expecting us to become a dynasty in the ilk of the Fergie era just because it's Ole Solskjaer and he used to play for us, this is all going to end in tears for you i'm afraid, there is absolutely nothing to suggest we will ever become successful under Solskjaer right now. We're still technically in a battle for a top 4 place, we'd be even worse off if Liverpool didn't have such an unprecedented freefall.

A battle for fourth place? Wow. How fergie would have loved to be battling for teh top four in his first seasons instead of finishing 11th twice and then 13th...

And long-term planning prevents us from implementing lets just say exploring more modern ways to play the game because... what? We can plan the next 10 years squad-wise but that means nothing if we don't start to improve players that are available and to make them play together as a team. If Ole isn't the one to implement that sort of thing, he can bring somebody in. But for some reason he doesn't do that. For the arguments sake - lets move away for a minute from the counterattacking-possession-PatternsOfPlay issue: what is your take on the matter that we suck at defending set pieces since at least 2 years but it doesn't improve. I heard there are coaches specifically for that. Would it be against the long term planning, to get somebody like that in for a while to address an apparent issue?

We did,

Fletcher came in six weeks ago to improve our defensive shape, on and off the ball and around set-pieces..

Since he came in, we've kept clean sheets against Arsenal, Southampton, West Ham, Sociedad (twice), Chelsea, Palace, Man City. That's eight clean sheets in 12 matches;

On set-pieces, haven't we only conceded five goals from set-pieces, which would put us in mid-table in that regard?

I do agree with you, despite the stats suggesting it's not bad, that we need improvement defensively. But this is all a work in progress. It'll take time. I think we are crying out for a defensive midfielder (I would LOVE Declan Rice) and a left-sided centre-back so Maguire can return to right-sided centre back where he was obviously and clearly brilliant for LCFC and England. I would love to sign Johnny Evans. Play him alongside Maguire and we plaster a lot of cracks in that one move... I think that's be rock solid for 2/3 seasons, then we'd need to replace Evans...

romufc

What? You are joking surely

Pogba should be gone, he's been shocking for a few seasons and he and his agent are constantly causing unrest in the media.
Maguire is average at best, barely worth half of the 80 million we paid
McTominay is average
Martial is nowhere near good or clinical enough to lead the line
Diallo is promising but completely untested
Donny is great at warming the bench and is barely getting any minutes

Need I go on?

You genuinely expect this team to dominate for years? We can't dominate anything for a single season, I genuinely cannot believe this delusion on display here, i would honestly love to know where you are getting this from, we will not dominate anything with this team under Solskjaer. You can quote on me on that and everyone can come back to this post years later.
Firstly, I did not say we will dominate under Ole. I said he is creating a team that can dominate.

I don't know if you realise but a team does not necessarily need 11/15 WC players.

You clearly have 0 ratings for Manutd players that's fine. Maguire and McTominay are in our top 5 players this season, for a team 2nd in the PL but they are average okay.

I didn't say this team is going to dominate this year, I said we are building towards it.

L1nk

A battle for fourth place? Wow. How fergie would have loved to be battling for teh top four in his first seasons instead of finishing 11th twice and then 13th...
Really? Bringing up Fergie again? If that's all you can say then this is a pointless discussion, it's not at all a similar comparison, infact it's the complete opposite.

Firstly, I did not say we will dominate under Ole. I said he is creating a team that can dominate.

I don't know if you realise but a team does not necessarily need 11/15 WC players.

You clearly have 0 ratings for Manutd players that's fine. Maguire and McTominay are in our top 5 players this season, for a team 2nd in the PL but they are average okay.

I didn't say this team is going to dominate this year, I said we are building towards it.
You're expecting them to dominate in the next few years though, which is going to be under Ole, because as you say, players like Maguire will be entering their prime.

No, and I am one of those people that certainly agrees a team and a manager does not need every single player to be world class in order to compete at the highest level, but you will not convince me this team currently is going down that route.

It's silly to say I have 0 ratings for Manchester United players which is completely untrue, Bruno is obviously world class on his day, I think Rashford when his heads screwed on right is also class, I think Henderson has a future with us, Shaw has improved considerably and is hopefully back to his best for the long term now, Greenwood I still think has big potential to be a great forward even if he has stalled in progress a little bit, so don't tell me I have 0 ratings for these players.

Just because McTominay has 1 good game and the whole forum delves into calling him 'McSauce' doesn't mean he's been amazing, infact more often than not i'd say he's been average at best, with the odd great game sprinkled on top, which is okay, but we need a massive upgrade in this position, everyone virtually agrees with need a DM

Please don't come to me and say Maguire is one of our best players, i'd argue that actually he needs to be replaced just as much as Lindelof and that he should not be captain at all, cost us £80mill cause he's English, worth nowhere near that amount of money.

Rajma

If you ever needed any example between team that’s clearly coached well and us, this match illustrates it perfectly.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
One of then worst sides in possession. It's unbelievable how poor we are with the ball.

el3mel

Milan is what I can call a well coached team. Their general play is good, despite not having much quality.

We're a team who thrives on moments rather than playing consistently well. We could have ended the half leading 1-0 due to such moments despite being terrible.

We don't have a system. We're a team of brilliant moments during the 90 minutes. Fortunately for us, our players mostly deliver in such moments.

Idxomer

We have players who could make a difference but this team must be easily one of the worst at passing the ball in any top league.

Rajma

Milan is what I can call a well coached team. Their general play is good, despite not having much quality.

We're a team who thrives on moments rather than playing consistently well. We could have ended the half leading 1-0 due to such moments despite being terrible.

We don't have a system. We're a team of brilliant moments during the 90 minutes. Fortunately for us, our players mostly deliver in such moments.
Well put that, the more quality we gonna have in the team more frequent these moments are going to be but we’ll never be bigger than sum of our parts with Ole.

Lewnited

Awfully coached is a stretch, but good lord are we less than the sum of our parts... not a single player out there is doing the basics as well as their Milan counterpart today. Both teams here have a number of players out but Milan look an actual unit, we look nowhere close. I honestly can't remember a 2nd placed team that struggle to put two good performances together as much as this one.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

This. I would not be surprized if we win tonight. But it will be due to individual brilliance.

Phil

Yeah the thread subject is definitely relevant and true when watching this.

NZT-One

Fletcher came in six weeks ago to improve our defensive shape, on and off the ball and around set-pieces..

Since he came in, we've kept clean sheets against Arsenal, Southampton, West Ham, Sociedad (twice), Chelsea, Palace, Man City. That's eight clean sheets in 12 matches;

On set-pieces, haven't we only conceded five goals from set-pieces, which would put us in mid-table in that regard?

I do agree with you, despite the stats suggesting it's not bad, that we need improvement defensively. But this is all a work in progress. It'll take time. I think we are crying out for a defensive midfielder (I would LOVE Declan Rice) and a left-sided centre-back so Maguire can return to right-sided centre back where he was obviously and clearly brilliant for LCFC and England. I would love to sign Johnny Evans. Play him alongside Maguire and we plaster a lot of cracks in that one move... I think that's be rock solid for 2/3 seasons, then we'd need to replace Evans...
Fletcher came in to do that? How do you know? I might have a missed an announcement?
If he came to do that, that is a good thing, but I am sure you would agree, that it took a pretty considerable time to address something, that has been an issue for quite a long time. Which, by the end of the day and in the course of this thread, would indicate, that there are areas to improve.

The list of the clean sheets sounds good, and credit where credit is due. ManCity and Sociedad played right into our hands, enabling us to defend deeper (I am not saying park the bus, just deeper and more compact - early goals are also helping to settle). Southampton played 85min with 10 man, 7 min with 9. From these nine players at least one had his PL debut (there might be another one). So yeah, it isn't our fault that they are unlucky but is it the right context to evaluate? I don't know...

Hopefully Fletcher does a good job to improve us, I think, it is more key than recruitment. I am not convinced that transfers are such a sure thing to shore us up. in the current situation. I mean, we had quite some investments in that department that shouldn't lead to us conceding goals as often as it happens. Evans would be quite an experiement, why not - wouldn't be against it if he would be availble for an appropriate price. But tbh I think, Johnny isn't made for a top club. I think, pressure has worse effects on him than on other players.

Amir

If Fletcher came for the defense, and has done such brilliant work, why are we moving him to another position?

If Fletcher came for the defense, and has done such brilliant work, why are we moving him to another position?
even if that’s the case - and I don’t know whether our defensive record can be attributed to him... but you realise that’s how promotions work. People need to grow and develop.

bonothom

Solskjaers substitutions make my eyeballs itch! He takes off our one creative player and a quick forward and replaces them with a defensive midfielder and a left back. Bang goes any chance of scoring another goal.

Swedish_Plumber

Set us up tonight as if we are playing mid 00s Milan in their prime. Do we want to put a tackle in too? So much standing about in both defence and attack.

PoTMS

Awful coaching. Henderson was shit there but Ole is an absolute woeful coach setting us up like that. Bruno off, play all the defenders, and just give the ball back to them.

bonothom

Laughable. How to give the opposition a helping hand with 3 bloody awful substitutions.

el3mel

Go on, sub Bruno and defend whole 20 minutes at home. Great tactics, always work.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We don't defend well, or with structure. We don't pass through the midfield. Our attack is a joke.

I know we have injuries, and there are some young players out there. But the level of tactical ineptitdue is staggering.

Swedish_Plumber

We had another goal in us after the Amad opener. Then we sit back for the umpteenth time and guess what? We concede a late equaliser for the umpteenth time.

bonothom

Here ya go Milan have the ball for the final 15 minutes and don't worry about us on the break as we have absolutely no threat cos we've taken our forwards off.