We are an awfully coached team

Womp

idiot
I wonder of people seriously believe the lie that any manager would need 3 years to get close to a title challenge. We won league with just rvp pretty much. Leicester have won the fecking league. Embarrassing lowering of standards that seems set to continue. When you have people saying Ole has done an amazing job, incredible job, I really have to wonder what they are on. Ole is doing the bare minimum he needs to stay in the job. Nothing more nothing less. All this 12 points better off, let's wait till the end of the season and see. I can already see the excuses if we keep progressing in the europa.
I'm sure most of the fans would be more than happy to give a coach 3-4 years to win a title. That's under the caveat that we are seeing signs of a footballing approach that can get us there. So far, i'm seeing a squad of very talented individuals, who can look brilliant counter attacking, but far too often look slow, pedestrian, predictable and lack cohesion. Our individual players drop in form and we go through drab 0-0, 1-0 games. The system is completely reliant on the individuals - which is why we look even worse when we refer to bench options. We should be looking to implement a system that the players thrive in - the players themselves shouldn't be the system.

I don't think that will ever be enough with the current coaching climate in Europe.

tomaldinho1

League position has absolutely nothing to do with credentials in assessing coaches. Mourinho's football also having no identity but finishing second is testament of this. He's also the best manager post SAF taking league points into consideration.

Until Ole's team passes the eye test he will continue to be under scrutiny. It's beyond fan sensationalism papers, pundits and the media have picked up on the teams non apparent identity. The requirement is not to be the most fluent team in Europe but to have a foundation with the movement, possession and general play being good enough which provides a sustainable approach for the long term.
Exactly...that’s what I said. Coaching only discussion.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'm sure most of the fans would be more than happy to give a coach 3-4 years to win a title. That's under the caveat that we are seeing signs of a footballing approach that can get us there. So far, i'm seeing a squad of very talented individuals, who can look brilliant counter attacking, but far too often look slow, pedestrian, predictable and lack cohesion. Our individual players drop in form and we go through drab 0-0, 1-0 games. The system is completely reliant on the individuals - which is why we look even worse when we refer to bench options. We should be looking to implement a system that the players thrive in - the players themselves shouldn't be the system.

I don't think that will ever be enough with the current coaching climate in Europe.
I agree with everything you're saying buddy. It's just sad and crazy that the people in charge of our great club are inept and they have a segment of fans that are buying into this "process".

Marwood

A bunch of very talented individuals could pass the ball a lot better than what we do. Players considered very talented at this level don't need to be told how to pass and move.

What we have is a very small handful of quite talented players coupled with a much larger bunch of hard working, dedicated, decent players.

Hence the ok performance levels and results.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
A bunch of very talented individuals could pass the ball a lot better than what we do. Players considered very talented at this level don't need to be told how to pass and move.

What we have is a very small handful of quite talented players coupled with a much larger bunch of hard working, dedicated, decent players.

Hence the ok performance levels and results.
Our players aren't playing against some Sunday league chumps. They are being pressed and closed down by the best on the planet, simply expecting them to be able to figure out how to pass simply because they're talented is clutching. LVG showed (with these players and worse), that with a system, players could position themselves and pass the ball well. The football was dreadful to watch, but the coaching was evident to see. This is made even more problematic when you consider how little movement there is off the ball - passing and movement are hugely reliant on synergy and coaching. It's a lot harder to break teams down with passes and to pass your way out of trouble when the team has very little, or predictable, movement.

You only need to have a look at our joke of an excuse for a 'press' at times, to see. Another example would be teams like Leicester, Leipzig etc. who have inferior players to us, but have no difficulty passing the ball.

Foxbatt

Our players aren't playing against some Sunday league chumps. They are being pressed and closed down by the best on the planet, simply expecting them to be able to figure out how to pass simply because they're talented is clutching. LVG showed (with these players and worse), that with a system, players could position themselves and pass the ball well. The football was dreadful to watch, but the coaching was evident to see. This is made even more problematic when you consider how little movement there is off the ball - passing and movement are hugely reliant on synergy and coaching. It's a lot harder to break teams down with passes and to pass your way out of trouble when the team has very little, or predictable, movement.

You only need to have a look at our joke of an excuse for a 'press' at times, to see. Another example would be teams like Leicester, Leipzig etc. who have inferior players to us, but have no difficulty passing the ball.
This is exactly what I been saying. Movement off the ball is coached. At least the basics. We are not bad when we don't have the ball. We are bad when we have the ball. Fred could play a touch pass to Bruno but unless the other players in the team knows what is going on they won't move. This has to be coached on the training ground.

NZT-One

You seem to think I view LVG at the time as world class, there is a happy medium to be found here. He was still a top coach, quite clearly a very effective coach. His record spoke for itself. What he achieved was very much worthy of being given the United job.
Absolutely. And I didn't want to take something away from him. Of course his career earned him the position and in no way he shouldn't be considered as a very good coach. Nevertheless, he was fading a bit as I pointed out. And it is no coincidence he ended his career after the United job. Being great doesn't last forever after all. My criticism was more directed to your praise than at the qualities of LVG.

Well like I said, I've given reasons as to why it falters at times. Fatigue no doubt is primary and then lack of squad depth. Ole is getting every single last drop out of his best senior players. Maguire has played more mins of football than any other player in the league. Bruno, AWB and Shaw aren't that far behind either.
You are right. But this is also connected with managerial decisions. Of course a manager tries to always field his best players. But he has to manage it if he doesn't want to risk to burn them. We have witnessed how that looks like last year.

We lose a Pogba and we lose his ability to pick out a pass long and short, we lose his ability to carry the ball, we lose his power to drive past players.. and then we inherit Fred who for all his efforts is a poor passer and lacks vision, can't pick out players at any real distance, can't carry a ball past opposition either... color me shocked then we perform worse. This isn't to say either Fred is the be all and end all of our issues, of course it isn't.
Well there was a lot of talk back then that the introduction of Bruno showed we don't have to rely on Pogba anymore. And I have some difficulties buying into a system that has such big issues if two individuals are not available. Of course this affects all teams and all systems but at some point you have to start to evaluate. First it was, Bruno has to play or we have nothing. Now you say we have to play Bruno AND Pogba. This is the point in here: we are relying to much on individuals to turn up.

You can't seriously believe that Ole is happy with players not moving, poor passing, creating space etc etc. Do you really believe Ole and his coaches don't attempt to train the players to move / pass in patterns. One of the coaches (Carrick) is arguably one of the most under rated passing centre mids of the last 15-20 years in the game and we've folks trying to suggest they don't know how to train some players on passing and movement and are quite happy to have players walking around and half as*ing it? Really?
I do believe it. Just him screaming at Martial is no evidence of some sort of coaching. In fact, if Martial doesn't do what the manager asks of him than he should be subbed out immediately. Your reference to Carrick is problematic in my eyes - he is one of the best passers in the world, and I hope he teaches his technique to all our players but what has this to do with pass and move, using the space of the pitch, moving the opposition players to create space. We can't just simplify it like that. That would be the equivalent of saying you only need to know how to handle a hammer and you are ready to build a house.

The reality is, Ole like all managers has but 2 chances per year to offload players, in between those periods he can

A) coach them and play them and do his upmost to motivate them to perform better - clearly he is trying to do this as Tony was arguably one of our best player last year along side Rashford and Bruno. Tony though is doing his usual of cooling off every other year.
B) Drop them - and in this instance (Martial) he has time and time again in favor of Cavani, Greenwood and James. Is there some other world class player you know of, none of the rest of us do?

Look the facts are we've quite a few top professionals quite happy to work / play for Ole like Shaw, Bruno, Rashford, Cavani and hell even Lukaku who was sold on and still praised Ole very much.
So he coached Martial last year to make him very good but this year Martial just has forgotten everything? That is not very convincing - at least if there is a possible explanation that Martial just thrived last year because the introduction of Bruno granted him and the other strikers more opportunities to operate in space. This year space is congested most of the time so naturally, the attackers look more clueless. I don't see Oles influence in that at all to be honest (no positive, no negative).

If he was as sh*t, clueless and incapable of coaching as you and other caftards are trying to suggest we'd know about it, just like when some of the other players spoke up about how toxic and awful it was to work for LVG and Jose.
Please, stop fighting imaginary people. I have never said he is some of the things you mentioned. Stop getting emotional.
I marked some bolded parts in my posts and you still accuse me of such stuff. Maybe you question yourself if this conflict became personal at some point for you.

See screen shot and logical reasoning above.. countless players praising his managerial skills thus far.
This thread is about coaching. And how our performances look like and what the potential connections with the coaching team might be. You want to creme yourself about his skills. There are quite a few threads to do it. OGS earned a lot of praise.

But Ole can and has out smarted some of the best coaches in world football.

Are we seriously to believe he is as bad as you or some make out?

If he is as tactically naïve, poor at coaching how exactly has he managed wins against Pep (beaten him more than Pep has bested Ole), Rodgers, Jose, Klopp, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, Lampard, Ancelloti...
Getting a good result isn't necessarily outsmarting and a few of these opposition managers might have underrated us or overrated themselves. Keeping a compact shape, go for quick transitions, engage a midfield battle. That are pretty basic things that worked very well. So yeah, his tactical abilities aren't a zero. Of course not, at least they look like just fine.

I don't think its as easy to say that any decent manager could do the same job. Lots of factors are involved.
Absolutely. I didn't say any other manager would have done the same. Because of some of Oles traits. But, in my view and in the view of a few others, coaching or leading a coaching team doesn't seem to be one of his stronger traits.

I'll keep saying it, there is no magical quick and easy fix. There are so many factors at play, timing is a huge thing here as well. Jose possibly could of been a great United manager at a certain time, but we didn't get him then.

If Pep got the job at United in December 2018 I'm absolutely certain we would still not be Premier league champions today. We'd play better football, easier on the eye but that doesn't guarantee success.
You are absolutely right: there is no quick fix. But that doesn't mean you have to stuck with something just for the sake of it ignoring some aspects of a managers performance. As I said Ole as a manager is an entity with a skillset, some of them are considered very strong, some not so much. The question is how much can a strength balance a weakness.

I agree on the Pep part, nobody knows what would have happened. But seeing that Ole was able to imprint some things into the club, it wouldn't be particularly smart to insist, that Pep couldn't have had a similar positive effect. I imagine how players like Rashford or Shaw could be considered today, seeing what Pep got from Sterling and Delph.

All in all: I can understand your stance. But I think, with the level of praise you are overboard. Especially in this thread that is about the performances.

I think that this is a very important point to be made. The critique we have about the passing isn't just about the technical abilities but mostly at the use of passing as a tool to move the ball to promising positions. And the speed will go up if some moves are instilled in the players so they can execute them without having to look up and think it through.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Let's look closer at transfers from 14/15 to 17/18. These are bought players who contribute today in a meaningful way for each club.

MU: Shaw, Martial, Pogba, Bailly, Lindelof
MC: Walker, Silva, Ederson, Stones, Gundogan, KDB, Sterling
Liv: VVD, Salah, Robertson, Mane, Wihnaldum, Matip, Firmino, Milner, Lovren

Given this, I just don't see how anyone can say that all we need is a top notch manager and we would compete. When Ole came in we were behind in attacking talent and we are still behind but improving.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Leicester have a lower possession %, lower pass completion %, play less passes and spend less time in the opposition 3rd than us. Best not to judge just on the last game.

croadyman

I agree with everything you're saying buddy. It's just sad and crazy that the people in charge of our great club are inept and they have a segment of fans that are buying into this "process".
Yeah there are many who cannot seperate Ole the manager from Ole the player and the reason that Klopp got time to implement his ideas is because even in those early days of the 15/16 season you could clearly see his style of play. Like I said in a previous post it's also so frustrating to see pretty much zero off the ball movement, our players are far too static the majority of the time and there clearly needs to be an improvement in that side of things and that's down to coaching.

NZT-One

Leicester have a lower possession %, lower pass completion %, play less passes and spend less time in the opposition 3rd than us. Best not to judge just on the last game.
Hmm... is that information really helping your case?
Man UnitedLeicester CityTop of the League
Possession54.352.561 (City)
Pass accuracy84.482.589.1 (City)
Time in opposition third31%26%33 (City & L'Pool)
(whoscored)

So yeah, there is a difference in Uniteds favour but it isn't very big.

Lets look at a few different numbers from PL:
Man UnitedLeicester CityReference points
Wins161722 (City)
Draws955 (City) 7 (L'pool)
Losses4723 (Sheffield)
Goals534964 (City)
Goals against323221 (City)
Assists373441 (T'ham)
xG45.643.958.1 (City), 51.8 (L'pool)
xG non penalty38.736.352 (City), 51 (L'pool)
xG per 901.571.511.94 (City), 1.79 (L'pool)
(fbref)
Same picture this time...

I compared numbers from all games (all comps)

Avg xG
ManUnited - 1.55 (after 39 matches)
Leicester - 1.54 (after 37 matches)

Total sum of all xG
ManUnited - 60.6 (39 games)
Leicester - 57.1 (37 games)

Calculated total sum after 40 matches (avg xG x 40)
ManUnited - 62.15
Leicester - 61.73

Number of games with xG...
xG < 1xG 1 to 1.5xG 1.5 to 2xG => 2
Man United119109
Leicester9*1189**
* Liverpool 5, Brighton 7
** Tottenham 16, Liverpool 14, Brighton 7

Squad value
ManUnited - 718 million EUR
Leicester - 476 EUR

Payroll totals 2020 ( https://www.spotrac.com/epl/ )
ManUnited - 178m
Leicester - 74m

Spending (Ins (Outs) in EUR)
20/2119/2018/1917/18TOTAL
Leicester62m (54m)104m (86m)114m (96m)88m (50m)368m (286m)
Manchester United84m (18m)227m (82m)83m (31m)198m (46m)592m (177m)
transfermarkt.de

That shows at least two things... that the way we spent our money is problematic (we all knew that before) and that particularly Leicester is doing a very fine job this year considering I think they have been a bit more troubled with injuries than we did.

Especially the Leicester example shows the existence of factors that make a team more than the sum of its parts and a manager, who makes a team punch above their weight. Spending less money than we did, selling more key players and replacing them not with top shelf players. I am not a Fan of that team but ignoring that they do a good job would be pretty... ignorant. Especially to us as we are trying to correct some failures of the past so especially we should look at other teams how they do.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Hmm... is that information really helping your case?
Man UnitedLeicester CityTop of the League
Possession54.352.561 (City)
Pass accuracy84.482.589.1 (City)
Time in opposition third31%26%33 (City & L'Pool)
(whoscored)

So yeah, there is a difference in Uniteds favour but it isn't very big.

Lets look at a few different numbers from PL:
Man UnitedLeicester CityReference points
Wins161722 (City)
Draws955 (City) 7 (L'pool)
Losses4723 (Sheffield)
Goals534964 (City)
Goals against323221 (City)
Assists373441 (T'ham)
xG45.643.958.1 (City), 51.8 (L'pool)
xG non penalty38.736.352 (City), 51 (L'pool)
xG per 901.571.511.94 (City), 1.79 (L'pool)
(fbref)
Same picture this time...

I compared numbers from all games (all comps)

Avg xG
ManUnited - 1.55 (after 39 matches)
Leicester - 1.54 (after 37 matches)

Total sum of all xG
ManUnited - 60.6 (39 games)
Leicester - 57.1 (37 games)

Calculated total sum after 40 matches (avg xG x 40)
ManUnited - 62.15
Leicester - 61.73

Number of games with xG...
xG < 1xG 1 to 1.5xG 1.5 to 2xG => 2
Man United119109
Leicester9*1189**
* Liverpool 5, Brighton 7
** Tottenham 16, Liverpool 14, Brighton 7

Squad value
ManUnited - 718 million EUR
Leicester - 476 EUR

Payroll totals 2020 ( https://www.spotrac.com/epl/ )
ManUnited - 178m
Leicester - 74m

Spending (Ins (Outs) in EUR)
20/2119/2018/1917/18TOTAL
Leicester62m (54m)104m (86m)114m (96m)88m (50m)368m (286m)
Manchester United84m (18m)227m (82m)83m (31m)198m (46m)592m (177m)
transfermarkt.de

That shows at least two things... that the way we spent our money is problematic (we all knew that before) and that particularly Leicester is doing a very fine job this year considering I think they have been a bit more troubled with injuries than we did.

Especially the Leicester example shows the existence of factors that make a team more than the sum of its parts and a manager, who makes a team punch above their weight. Spending less money than we did, selling more key players and replacing them not with top shelf players. I am not a Fan of that team but ignoring that they do a good job would be pretty... ignorant. Especially to us as we are trying to correct some failures of the past so especially we should look at other teams how they do.
Yes it is helping my case, responding to a post that says Leicester are better at passing the ball.

And yes, we know we have spent money terribly in the past and are still paying the price.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
Fair point - few things I will raise though, those stats in isolation aren't enough to identify how good an offensive style is being implemented imo. For example, possession and pass completion etc. isn't going to have as much emphasis for a team like Leicester whose star striker is one who has made a career from movement in behind, for example.

Point taken though, I should have clarified and meant in the context of a team's offence/approach. Considering the discrepancy really isn't that large at all, when taking into account the level of the squads I'd argue are quite different, that's the issue here.

Leftback99

Fair point - few things I will raise though, those stats in isolation aren't enough to identify how good an offensive style is being implemented imo. For example, possession and pass completion etc. isn't going to have as much emphasis for a team like Leicester whose star striker is one who has made a career from movement in behind, for example.

Point taken though, I should have clarified and meant in the context of a team's offence/approach. Considering the discrepancy really isn't that large at all, when taking into account the level of the squads I'd argue are quite different, that's the issue here.
I've watched a lot of Leicester games and they've rarely been as good as they were last Sunday, often very poor with no clear style.

I'd say the level of the squads isn't too different it's just that we have a lot of dross that cost a lot but offer nothing. When it comes to first XIs the difference is minimal.

90 + 5min

Is this thread still going?

I thought we came to the answer that we are far, far from being awfully coached.

Womp

idiot
I've watched a lot of Leicester games and they've rarely been as good as they were last Sunday, often very poor with no clear style.

I'd say the level of the squads isn't too different it's just that we have a lot of dross that cost a lot but offer nothing. When it comes to first XIs the difference is minimal.
As have I. To say they have been very poor is harsh imo. They have scored 3 less goals than us all season, have a comparable xG, have conceded the same amount and are only a single point behind us despite having some evident injury problems this season. Not to add, they are seemingly gaining some form now, they looked great against Sheffield and us.

I also don't agree that their squad is comparable to ours. They have 4, maybe 5 players that would get into our team consistently. Vardy, Soyuncu or Fofana alongside Maguire, Ndidi and you maybe have a case for Barnes.

Leftback99

As have I. To say they have been very poor is harsh imo. They have scored 3 less goals than us all season, have a comparable xG, have conceded the same amount and are only a single point behind us despite having some evident injury problems this season. Not to add, they are seemingly gaining some form now, they looked great against Sheffield and us.

I also don't agree that their squad is comparable to ours. They have 4, maybe 5 players that would get into our team consistently.
But that's basically half a team, with others arguable compared to our squad options. We've had injury problems ourselves because beyond our best XI we are very average.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I also don't agree that their squad is comparable to ours. They have 4, maybe 5 players that would get into our team consistently. Vardy, Soyuncu or Fofana alongside Maguire, Ndidi and you maybe have a case for Barnes.
Combined XI for me as a neutral right now would probably be something like:

--------------Schmeichel-------------------
Pereira - Evans - Maguire - Shaw
-------------------Ndidi------------------------
----------Bruno--------Tielemans-------
Barnes--------Vardy---------Rashford

Bench: Henderson, AWB, Pogba, Bailly, Maddison, Castagne, Ihenacho

Don't think there's much between the two squads at all. United probably a bit more strength in depth but the first XIs are comparable on paper imo.

Womp

idiot

Don't think there's much between the two squads at all. United probably a bit more strength in depth but the first XIs are comparable on paper imo.
DDG
Pereira-----Soyuncu or Fofana----Maguire------Shaw
----------------------Ndidi-----------------
Bruno---------------------------Pogba
Barnes-------------Vardy-------------Rashford

That would be my combined 11. That being said, Ole was the one who decided to sign a defensive FB in AWB. Secondly, I don't think their depth is as good. We have players like Cavani, VDB, Martial, Telles, Greenwood - etc. Our squad is quite a bit better than Leicester's imo. You take Vardy out of that team and it's a middle of the pack squad imo.

Also, I'm still not quite convinced if players like Harvey Barnes are actually better than the Greenwood's/Martial's etc, or if they're just being utilised better.

Last edited:

Idxomer

^^I don't think people realize how average Vardy has been this season. 7 goals from open play all season, same as Cavani and just one more than Martial. On current form, I would probably put Iheanacho above any of them.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
DDG
Pereira-----Soyuncu or Fofana----Maguire------Shaw
----------------------Ndidi-----------------
Bruno---------------------------Pogba
Barnes-------------Vardy-------------Rashford

That would be my combined 11. That being said, Ole was the one who decided to sign a defensive FB in AWB. Secondly, I don't think their depth is as good. We have players like Cavani, VDB, Martial, Telles, Greenwood - etc. Our squad is quite a bit better than Leicester's imo. You take Vardy out of that team and it's a middle of the pack squad imo.

Also, I'm still not quite convinced if players like Harvey Barnes are actually better than the Greenwood's/Martial's etc, or if they're just being utilised better.
Bit harsh on Tielemans imo but I think that's an entirely reasonable XI, though I'd quibble as well with De Gea. On shot stopping he's still quite decent but for me he doesn't command an area anywhere close to top standard.

^^I don't think people realize how average Vardy has been this season. 7 goals from open play all season, same as Cavani and just one more than Martial. On current form, I would probably put Iheanacho above any of them.
Good point but I personally think so much of what Vardy does isn't properly captured by current metrics - he single handedly creates huge amounts of space between opposition defensive and midfield lines given his directness and willingness to run in behind. Maddison is a huge beneficiary of those sorts of pockets to play in - in my fantasy combined XI I'd salivate at the prospect of Bruno having time on the ball without having to drop very deep into midfield.

NZT-One

Yes it is helping my case, responding to a post that says Leicester are better at passing the ball.

And yes, we know we have spent money terribly in the past and are still paying the price.
I am pretty sure you missed the point then.

The statement was

"Another example would be teams like Leicester, Leipzig etc. who have inferior players to us, but have no difficulty passing the ball. "

What brought you to arguing with possession stats and pass percentages when they they are so close to ours? I understood it was meant that the mentioned teams create chances despite them having lesser teams than we do as showed by market value and salary. Therefor there seems to be something in their coaching or setup to enable them to match us in terms of results. This, for me makes it impossible to argue that "we need way better footballers to play with so we can evaluate our manager" as results, performances and play quality aren't intertwined in such a linear way.

In fact, the almost neglectable differences in results and in some performance indicators suggest that either one of the two team overachieves in regards to their team or one underachieves. Take your pick...

I only see two possible outcomes:
1) Manchester United underachieves in terms of "how to get the most out of the squad". Therefor some of the praise for improving our play and our results looses a bit of its substance.

2) Leicester overachieves to an even greater extent than Man United. Which a) should end the argument, that way better player material is needed to even start evaluating one of the aspects of the managers work and b) raises the question of how Leicester manage to do it and if there might be more to the core question of this thread than some people want to admit.

But part of the reason these players seem so good is the fact that Leicester has some sort of system that suits their players and they are picked for their skillsets not their names. Who knew N'didi before, who Soyuncu of Fofana. Tielemans seemed like a failed prospect, Barnes like a midtable-player, the equivalent of Albrighton. This indicates in one direction, that there are managers that are able to take players and lift their level. And by the way, the player values are, as far as I know, the result of some sort of voting system where many people value the players. Seeing the United squad being almost double in value, seeing the wages almost tripled - yes that shows the results of mismanagement, but it also shows that we have some players that are rated (even by neutrals) pretty highly while not showing that on the pitch all too often...

But apparently, according to some, the only way, United can improve the results and the performances is by getting Haaland, Sancho, Saul, Grealish and Kounde. Maybe not even for the results, but to be able to judge one aspect of the managers ability "because obviously, most other aspects are already as good as it gets".

I sound like the biggest critic in the world but my only intention is to point out the mind-boggledness in some of the argumentation.

Last edited:

Leftback99

The statement was

"Another example would be teams like Leicester, Leipzig etc. who have inferior players to us, but have no difficulty passing the ball. "

What brought you to arguing with possession stats and pass percentages when they they are so close to ours? I understood it was meant that the mentioned teams create chances despite them having lesser teams than we do as showed by market value and salary. Therefor there seems to be something in their coaching or setup to enable them to match us in terms of results. This, for me makes it impossible to argue that "we need way better footballers to play with so we can evaluate our manager" as results, performances and play quality aren't intertwined in such a linear way.

In fact, the almost neglectable differences in results and in some performance indicators suggest that either one of the two team overachieves in regards to their team or one underachieves. Take your pick...

1) Manchester United underachieves in terms of "how to get the most out of the squad". Therefor some of the praise for improving our play and our results looses a bit of its substance.

2) Leicester overachieves to an even greater extent than Man United. Which a) should end the argument, that way better player material is needed to even start evaluating one of the aspects of the managers work and b) raises the question of how Leicester manage to do it and if there might be more to the core question of this thread than some people want to admit.

But part of the reason these players seem so good is the fact that Leicester has some sort of system that suits their players and they are picked for their skillsets not their names. Who knew N'didi before, who Soyuncu of Fofana. Tielemans seemed like a failed prospect, Barnes like a midtable-player, the equivalent of Albrighton. This indicates in one direction, that there are managers that are able to take players and lift their level. And by the way, the player values are, as far as I know, the result of some sort of voting system where many people value the players. Seeing the United squad being almost double in value, seeing the wages almost tripled - yes that shows the results of mismanagement, but it also shows that we have some players that are rated (even by neutrals) pretty highly while not showing that on the pitch all too often...

But apparently, according to some, the only way, United can improve the results and the performances is by getting Haaland, Sancho, Saul, Grealish and Kounde. Maybe not even for the results, but to be able to judge one aspect of the managers ability "because obviously, most other aspects are already as good as it gets".

I sound like the biggest critic in the world but my only intention is to point out the mind-boggledness in some of the argumentation.
I'm not missing any point. Leicester as a team aren't 'better at passing the ball' and you helpfully backed me up with some figures. What they do have is some very good passers like Tielemans who would walk into our team.

Tielemans stood out for Anderlecht against us 4 years ago. He's just a very good player, regardless of coaching. And if you want to bring wages into it he's probably on less than Phil Jones, see how irrelevant that is?

Eplel

I'm not missing any point. Leicester as a team aren't 'better at passing the ball' and you helpfully backed me up with some figures.
Your stat may be misleading. Pass accuracy may be high, but it's pointless when 90% of these passes are between Maguire, Lindelog and Fred.

Leftback99

Your stat may be misleading. Pass accuracy may be high, but it's pointless when 90% of these passes are between Maguire, Lindelog and Fred.
Time in opposition 3rd, United 31%, Leicester 26%.

Foxbatt

The statement was

Spot on. We paid Leicester for Maguire and they bought Tielemens and Soyancu from that sale.
On paper before Leicester bought them none of their players was even looked at by United.
They play to the strengths of their players.

NZT-One

I'm not missing any point. Leicester as a team aren't 'better at passing the ball' and you helpfully backed me up with some figures. What they do have is some very good passers like Tielemans who would walk into our team.
Consider me a bit confused... so
"Leicester as a team isn't better at passing the ball" - Right, they are just about as good as we are, a fraction worse.
"they do have very good passers like..." - Just like us then, right?

I can't get my head around that logic. Do you mean, as both teams are pretty equal output wise you think that the Leicester players are better or at least just as good in passing the ball? What would your explanation then be for the Leicester squad being valued two thirds of the value of Uniteds squad? Because outcome wise they achieve a very comparable result after all.

But time in opposition 3rd doesn't mean much when you don't use it to create chances. xG-wise we are better up by not even a value of two. Liverpool, who is considered having a relatively bad season has an xG that is better up by 7. Goals wise we are better up then Leicester by 3. So certainly, more time in opposition third = more goals or chances per se.

It is a bit like the pass completion rate under LVG: it went up, even with a player like Smalling. But as these passes were sideways more often than not and movement was a problem already back then (under LVG I think player were instructed to keep certain distances to each other and to occupy certain spaces) there was next to no penetration. Which is more or less often the same today, although the reasons might be different.

Leftback99

Consider me a bit confused... so
"Leicester as a team isn't better at passing the ball" -
Right, they are just about as good as we are, a fraction worse.
"they do have very good passers like..." - Just like us then, right?

I can't get my head around that logic. Do you mean, as both teams are pretty equal output wise you think that the Leicester players are better or at least just as good in passing the ball? What would your explanation then be for the Leicester squad being valued two thirds of the value of Uniteds squad? Because outcome wise they achieve a very comparable result after all.

But time in opposition 3rd doesn't mean much when you don't use it to create chances. xG-wise we are better up by not even a value of two. Liverpool, who is considered having a relatively bad season has an xG that is better up by 7. Goals wise we are better up then Leicester by 3. So certainly, more time in opposition third = more goals or chances per se.

It is a bit like the pass completion rate under LVG: it went up, even with a player like Smalling. But as these passes were sideways more often than not and movement was a problem already back then (under LVG I think player were instructed to keep certain distances to each other and to occupy certain spaces) there was next to no penetration. Which is more or less often the same today, although the reasons might be different.
I mean, do you read your own posts? If you're confused, then I certainly am.

Eplel

Again, pointless.

Break it down to time spend in penalty area instead, and you may be onto something.

If you don't see what my point is, check the heat maps for Rashford and Martial and compare them to the heat map for Vardy.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I am hesitant to wade into this quagmire but at least from my (ostensibly neutral) position I'm more inclined to agree with your position. I personally think Ole is a brilliant man manager who has exceeded all expectations given the context of his appointment, and he deserves plaudits for that. I remain unconvinced that he has what it takes to elevate the team to the highest level. Personally I think that the skillsets required to stabilise a club versus take them to the pinnacle of the sport generally overlap but are also distinct to a significant degree - at the very highest level, very fine margins become increasingly important and frankly I'm just not sure Ole has it in him to be as exacting as would be required from a tactical perspective. A somewhat similar situation to Lampard I'd say - Chelsea found out sooner though that he wasn't the man to tackle the highest levels of the game, but denying that he did a tremendous job last season is silly. Same applies to Ole - I don't think it's an inconsistent perspective to say that he's done a great job but also that United would benefit from getting someone else in to take the team to the next level.

Andersons Dietician

watching the woman’s team it’s evident they are very well coached and know what to do in certain situations to make things happen. Compare that to the men’s team and it’s night and day. Clueless and bereft of ideas and structure.

NZT-One

I mean, do you read your own posts? If you're confused, then I certainly am.
:D

Sorry...let me try to make it more clear.

...Leicester as a team aren't 'better at passing the ball'...
Understood and I agree based on the statistics posted above. But there isn't much between them in the pass completion stat. Both teams have pretty comparable stats which could be considered a bit surprising seeing that their squad isn't on the same level as ours overall.

...What they do have is some very good passers like Tielemans...
This is the part I don't get - I checked, particularly Tielemans has around 80% completion rate (probably due to being one of the creators of the team and therefor asked to play a more expansive game), so it doesn't seem he somehow drags the avg up. So what do you mean, what is the difference between "being good at passing as a team" and "passing with a few good players"?

To me, it is suprising, that Leicester, who isn't particularly known for great football, can match our output. I understood you think, their players are just as good as ours (in parts) and even if I don't share that view, what would you consider to be the reason for the difference in squad valuation then?

I am hesitant to wade into this quagmire but at least from my (ostensibly neutral) position I'm more inclined to agree with your position. I personally think Ole is a brilliant man manager who has exceeded all expectations given the context of his appointment, and he deserves plaudits for that. I remain unconvinced that he has what it takes to elevate the team to the highest level. Personally I think that the skillsets required to stabilise a club versus take them to the pinnacle of the sport generally overlap but are also distinct to a significant degree - at the very highest level, very fine margins become increasingly important and frankly I'm just not sure Ole has it in him to be as exacting as would be required from a tactical perspective. A somewhat similar situation to Lampard I'd say - Chelsea found out sooner though that he wasn't the man to tackle the highest levels of the game, but denying that he did a tremendous job last season is silly. Same applies to Ole - I don't think it's an inconsistent perspective to say that he's done a great job but also that United would benefit from getting someone else in to take the team to the next level.
Wholeheartingly agree with everything. The distinction between quality and specific skillsets is key here (for me that applies 100% on players as well, simplifying by saying a player is good or bad is just wrong). It is a bit of a pity that the discussion seems to be so inclined to the manager specifically. I absolutely think, the issues discussed could also be improved on by getting new co-trainers (I don't even care about Carrick and Co. let them stay for what it is worth ^^ just add some). But the buck stops unfortunately but rightfully with the manager. He should be the one knowing how he wants to play considering the strengths and weaknesses of his squad and which problem areas should be adressed. There is nobody else to place that responsibility. To either ignore these issues or expect new players to correct team issues doesn't seem a very proactive approach. Especially when we have had so many players looking worse playing for us than they did before joining us. That's of course not only due to potential issues in training but there is a common theme.

Don't know if some of you saw this article about our patterns of play and set pieces tactics but he explains it well and shows it perfectly in this article including Gif's of the play so "give it a GO".

Manchester United Tactical Analysis: Reds show signs of attacking patterns, but fail to execute
Thanks for sharing, looks interesting and follows the same notion I heard and read a few times. Improvisation and that it isn't a bad idea per se but can be a burden for some players.

Last edited:

Leftback99

:D

Sorry...let me try to make it more clear.

Understood and I agree based on the statistics posted above. But there isn't much between them in the pass completion stat. Both teams have pretty comparable stats which could be considered a bit surprising seeing that their squad isn't on the same level as ours overall.

This is the part I don't get - I checked, particularly Tielemans has around 80% completion rate (probably due to being one of the creators of the team and therefor asked to play a more expansive game), so it doesn't seem he somehow drags the avg up. So what do you mean, what is the difference between "being good at passing as a team" and "passing with a few good players"?

To me, it is suprising, that Leicester, who isn't particularly known for great football, can match our output. I understood you think, their players are just as good as ours (in parts) and even if I don't share that view, what would you consider to be the reason for the difference in squad valuation then?
The squad valuation (Transfermarkt I assume?) can only really be used as a guide to how well you can expect a team to perform, it only tells part of the story.

Just a couple of basic examples demonstrate it:

- our squad is bigger than Leicester's = higher value. However you can only have 11 players on the pitch, we have a lot of 'value' adding nothing most weeks either sat on the bench or not even making squads.

- Take GKs as an example. Henderson and De Gea alone are valued at £38m, Schmeichel and Jakupovic £8m between them. How can you say that that £30m difference should mean we perform better than them? It doesn't make sense. Schmeichel is as good as either it's just his age and contract length comes into it. See others like Vardy.

SAF is the GOAT

Thanks for sharing, looks interesting and follows the same notion I heard and read a few times. Improvisation and that it isn't a bad idea per se but can be a burden for some players.
And we have to add - we have too many limited players - Dan, Scott, Aaron, Fred

Foxbatt

Limited players can pass and move. We are not taking about Sunday pub players.

Champagne Football

Fergie would not have been able to make Fletcher and O'Shea dominate possession in a midfield 2 together.
There were often times during injury crisis where Fergie may have had to have gone with a Fletcher and O'Shea combo, or something like that, and we were often woeful in midfield during those times.

Right now Ole has often had to play with 2 central midfielders in many games, that would be comparable to Fletcher and O'Shea. Even Pogba struggles to keep possession when he plays. Bruno often struggles too.

Van de Beek absolutely could turn out to be the player in central midfield that makes it all gel. Possibly Garner eventually too.

I've absolutely no doubt we will start dominating possession in midfield again, once Ole gets his hands on the kinds of quality midfielders that can play that kind of style.

hungrywing

Somewhere out there is a tactical savant who has zero squad management skills.

Find this person and hire them.

He and Ole together would form Voltron.