We have a lot of likeable players again, don't we?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Amazing bump! Hahahaha.

Love post above about DDG and Fred.....no joke.
Well yeah, DDG was a great keeper for us for years, and Fred was easily one of the most likeable players we've had in the last decade, even if his quality was inconsistent at best.

Where's the joke?

Cantonagotmehere

Well yeah, DDG was a great keeper for us for years, and Fred was easily one of the most likeable players we've had in the last decade, even if his quality was inconsistent at best.

Where's the joke?
Sorry, meaning 'no kidding' they were good guys on the squad. I miss them.

'no joke' is some poor American slang, I guess. Haha

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bruno is our best player for all his faults. I don't get the people who focus on him.
I agree. Well I do think he can be rubbish and incredibly frustrating when hes having an off day or trying to force things, but he wouldn't exactly be on my problem list

He's too good for this current team and I think that's half the problem with him.

Tyrion

I agree. Well I do think he can be rubbish and incredibly frustrating when hes having an off day or trying to force things, but he wouldn't exactly be on my problem list

He's too good for this current team and I think that's half the problem with him.
Even his constant moaning I kinda like. At least it's a response. Better that than the slumped shoulders and Instagram apologies of the other wasters.

tomaldinho1

Even his constant moaning I kinda like. At least it's a response. Better that than the slumped shoulders and Instagram apologies of the other wasters.
He definitely cares and runs his arse off, that is for sure. Just needs to be reigned in. Still a better problem than most of our team who seem very comfortable being millionaires in their teens and chilling by their mid twenties.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Sorry, meaning 'no kidding' they were good guys on the squad. I miss them.

'no joke' is some poor American slang, I guess. Haha
Ah, no worries, my bad.

I guess with the atmosphere around the club and the caf lately, I just assumed your initial post was sarcasm without even thinking. :lol:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
At Juve he looked like the best young or atleast one of the best young midfielders in Europe (before he got that big fat United contract) and we paid a record fee for him of which 80% was based on talent.

That's just my impression, I'm not a Scout so could be wrong but I remember that he was very highly rated throughout Europe when he was at Juve (and all the experts said that he hadn't even peaked).
It's easier to look that way when you're playing next to Pirlo and Vidal.

Captmfla

Great save by Onana.

Good goal by Hojlund.

1-0 at half time

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

He’s not our best player nor is he too good for this team. He’s the epitome of it.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
He’s not our best player nor is he too good for this team. He’s the epitome of it.
Bruno played good today because he kept things simple and didn't try the Hollywood pass everytime he gets the ball.

I also thing hes our best player but today was just a correct performance. When he plays like that and let others shine we win. Simple as that

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Bruno played good today because he kept things simple and didn't try the Hollywood pass everytime he gets the ball.

I also thing hes our best player but today was just a correct performance. When he plays like that and let others shine we win. Simple as that
He’s not better than Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, Rashford. He was bang average again but he’s apparently the reason we won.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Weird bump although I've just noticed your tagine which probably explains things.

He's a pretty good player. I don't know why we have so many fans who seem to actively want our own players to do badly.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Weird bump although I've just noticed your tagine which probably explains things.

He's a pretty good player. I don't know why we have so many fans who seem to actively want our own players to do badly
I didn’t bump anything?
What’s my tagline got to do with you saying Bruno is too good for this team?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn’t bump anything?
What’s my tagline got to do with you saying Bruno is too good for this team?
I posted that ages ago.

Aren't you the same weirdo who claimed Fernandes only gets praised because he's ugly?

Why not just give it a rest? Being annoyed at your own players being praised is pretty weird.

Needham

Really feel like Mainoo has that positive nominative determinism thing going on, like Wenger at Arse and Mancini at City. Going forward, a name-based transfer policy has something to be said for it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I posted that ages ago.

Aren't you the same weirdo who claimed Fernandes only gets praised because he's ugly?

Why not just give it a rest? Being annoyed at your own players being praised is pretty weird.
Yeah I didn’t say that at all.

I’ll check the date next time, being annoyed at other fans for having an opinion is pretty weird. But you seem to do that every other post rather than debate. I think saying any player is too good for United is worthy of debate. Weirdo.

sugar_kane

The players I find likeable are the ones who play with conviction every single time, regardless of ability. Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo, Dalot, Onana, Martinez.

The old pros like Varane, Casemiro & Eriksen I can't help but view with suspicion. They seem to have an air of just being along for the ride and turning it on whenever they feel like it. Evans is probably the exception here and it helps that he's an Academy lad who is probably just grateful to have the opportunity to play for us again.

Most of the players who've been in the squad for years I find hard to like as they seem to be infected with the apathy that's been central to the club for too long. Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka.

Bruno is an outlier as he seems like a genuinely nice bloke, and incredible footballer at his best, but it's hard to get past his on field petulance and inability to keep a cool head when we most need it.

Maguire seems like an alright guy and I respect the fact he kept his head down and worked at getting back into form despite years of humiliation, but he also seems to desperately lack self awareness.

McTominay I can't weigh up, sometimes it comes across like he knows how to maintain this air of being a hard worker without actually backing it up most of the time, but I think in reality it's just his limitations as a footballer showing.

Antony I just feel sorry for. Amrabat, Malacia and Mount I don't really have any opinion on.

So in short, a mixed bag.

IrishRedDevil

Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund seem to be the unquestionable fan-favourites.

Everyone likes Amad also - hopefully he gets games soon.

I also like Shaw, Bruno and Rashford (hopefully he can get back to his old self).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I posted that ages ago.

:lol::lol: I learn something new everyday.

Captmfla

It's amazing that united has turned the corner now with the new group of players (Garnacho, Hojlund, Mainoo) mixed with the better players who survive through all these years (Shaw, Bruno, Rashford)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
:lol::lol: I learn something new everyday.
It happened and it was in fact the very same Jeppers7:

4. Guy in the street appeal
Having seen the stick that ‘stars’ at united have had in the past such as Giggs, Becks, Ronaldo and flamboyant characters like Pogba and Lingard….What if Bruno was extremely good looking. Or what if he had a fancy haircut and diamond earrings etc? Given the same performances over the last 3 years then I’d wager the regard would be different.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen somebody play so regularly poorly for such a long time and be held in such a positive regard by so many fans, media and pundits.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? Are you saying Bruno would get more criticism if he was as good looking as Lingard? Did you come up with a massive tick box of completely insane reasons to criticise our players and notice no one had done this one yet?

Also, you give four other players as examples. Two were extremely highly regarded during their time here. More so than Bruno. Of the other two one is such a great professional that he is currently banned from all football, and the other is such a great footballer than his club have basically banned him from all football.
4.Response to this is unnecessarily childish. But that’s what generally happens when people like a player. I’ll spell it out, not that I think you genuinely completely missed the point unwillingly. Good looking players/flash/flamboyant characters are singled out for criticism more than those with a ‘man in the street appeal’. Whilst you can find threads and multiple posts criticising JLings and Beans for their ‘antics’ and particularly (non of anyone’s business) fashion sense, you won’t find any criticising Bruno’s Levi 501s and Adidas Sambas.
4) No I think you are just talking rubbish here. Who the hell is beans? Lingard was criticised because he was rubbish, behaved like an idiot and acted like a spiteful baby about the club on social media. He also, it turns out, isn't good enough for Nottingham Forest. I can't think of a single player who's made a career out of being a "man on the street". Rooney was ugly and chavvy as hell and is probably the most unfairly criticised footballer in the history of Redcafe. Fernandes is among the most criticised players on this forum and at the club. Often for completely fabricated reasons like pretending he asked to be subbed off vs Liverpool. Now you are apparently criticising him because you think he escapes criticism due to having an ugly face. This makes you sound like a crazy person
I've edited out all the other drivel around it (which was basically a bunch of other baffling reasons why we should all hate Fernandes).

The guy is a fruitloop. Can only think from the tagline and weird need to shoehorn Pogba into the above argument means he's one of these weirdos who thinks its Bruno's fault that Pogba left/got banned from football/became embroiled in a family mafia feud/engaged in voodoo blackmail/etc....obviously if Fernandes did all these things no one would criticise him because he isn't good looking enough or something.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dalot, AWB, and Malacia are likeable. They're always give it all on the pitch, they seems professional and not much drama off it. Although they're not really top players (for now).

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It happened and it was in fact the very same Jeppers7:

I've edited out all the other drivel around it (which was basically a bunch of other baffling reasons why we should all hate Fernandes).

The guy is a fruitloop. Can only think from the tagline and weird need to shoehorn Pogba into the above argument means he's one of these weirdos who thinks its Bruno's fault that Pogba left/got banned from football/became embroiled in a family mafia feud/engaged in voodoo blackmail/etc....obviously if Fernandes did all these things no one would criticise him because he isn't good looking enough or something.
Once again what you are displaying is a lack of understanding of how people’s opinions and attitudes are formed whilst also trying to create your own narrative.
It’s actually quite funny because a lot of what you’re displaying here is protective measures and attempting to group against something because it differs from your world view. That you are repeatedly doing so despite it being explained to you in many different ways in response to your misunderstandings and now misrepresenting those responses in isolation, in regard to something completely seperate posted by yourself and questioned by me, does you no favours.

For clarity my post was about my perception that Bruno’s generally positive regard is out of sync with his performances over a long period. Then looking at what motivates human opinion. Extreme highs in Bruno’s first six months, the influence of mass media, confirmation bias and stats that back up people’s opinion rather than performance and then social grouping and how people will position towards others they see as similar and position away from those who they see as different. Siding with those who appear to confirm to our own values based on perception of appearance.

My work involves me working around human behaviour and its motivations so these things are of interest to me. Man in the street appeal that has got you so aroused absolutely is a motivator with regards to grouping and mass media play a huge role in forming popular opinion.

You can dismiss all of this, it’s fine. The thread (nothing to do with this thread) was designed for discussion about ‘what if’ some of those factors were slightly different. I’m not sure what relevance it has to my response to your post in this thread at all.

That you keep referring to Pogba only highlights my point further. It clearly triggers you to see his name in ways that it doesn’t trigger to see Beckham,Giggs,Ronaldo all of whom were weirdly ‘shoehorned’ into the post plus Lingard.

Back to your post if that’s ok now as I’ve explained for the umpteenth time for you now my post.

My point (opinion) is that Bruno is not our best player, based on my perception of both ability and importantly performance levels over a long period…Shaw, Martinez,Varane, Casemiro are all better than him. Mainoo will be massively better than him over time and players like Garnacho and Rashford have had greater impacts over the past few years.

I’m open to debate any of this?

Your second point in my opinion is a disgraceful take. Bryan Robson, George Best, Wayne Rooney, Eric Cantona all played for this club at various times when we were struggling. None of them were ‘Too good’ for Manchester United. Bruno Fernandes is light years from those players. In my opinion. Again open for discussion if you want to respond to this.