We have a lot of likeable players again, don't we?

Gator Nate

Just to clarify my stance here... I think Garnacho is awesome but our squad remains full of unlikeable characters:

Sancho (timid and lazy)
Martial (timid and lazy)
Donny (useless and hides)
Rashford (arrogant and selfish)
Eriksen (zero personality and can't run)
Maguire (slowly redeeming himself but certainly no leader, clown-like)
Mount (snarly and irrelevant)
And most of those are out on injury. The squad ETH had out there on Boxing Day was pretty likeable.

Oscar Bonavena

Define "likeable".

Some of the best United teams had players who were, let's face it, utter cnuts, but we loved them because they were successful. And ruthless.

SAFMUTD

As long as we win the players will get more and more likeable and vice versa.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We seem to have a club environment that fosters genuine cnuts. The new regime need to come out hard on the rotten player culture.

AndySmith1990

Sancho
Lingard
Rashford
Martial

These are the poster boys of our lazy, overpaid and entitled culture, and amongst the least likeable footballers to have put on a United shirt.

Thankfully one is gone and anothers contract is expiring. How I wish we could sell the other two

stevoc

The majority of Redcafe.

United doing well = ''I love this squad.''

United doing badly = ''I can't wait to see the back of every one of these cnuts/cowards/unprofessional snakes etc. We need to bin them all and rebuild from scratch.''

Abizzz

The majority of Redcafe.

United doing badly = ''I can't wait to see the back of every one of these cnuts/cowards/unprofessional snakes etc. We need to bin them all and rebuild from scratch.''
But that's universally true of all football fans everywhere?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The majority of Redcafe.

Can you please name me one poster who said either the former or the latter?

Loon

:lol:
Can you please name me one poster who said either the former or the latter?
I've pretty much said the team which finished under Rangnick needs to be replaced. All of them. I have never changed my opinion. Obviously I had hoped they'd all be replaced with superior players...

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I like Shaw. AWB. Varane, sort of. I love Bruno. I miss De Gea, for all his imperfections, and am looking forward to seeing what I make of Bayinder. I kind of respect and admire a few others; I am rooting for Garnacho and Hojlund.
I love to see Casemiro at his best, seems a decent sort too. Eriksen another proper footballer. Dalot has quietly grown on me. Licha is fun. I have no beef with a few others.

edgecutter

You could count on one hand the players that we should keep. The rest are overpaid, lazy, and so far from the level needed to even compete. Massive reset needed, and I mean a good clear out is needed.

Matt851

I like Shaw. AWB. Varane, sort of. I love Bruno. I miss De Gea, for all his imperfections, and am looking forward to seeing what I make of Bayinder. I kind of respect and admire a few others; I am rooting for Garnacho and Hojlund.
I love to see Casemiro at his best, seems a decent sort too. Eriksen another proper footballer. Dalot has quietly grown on me. Licha is fun. I have no beef with a few others.
loving bruno takes a special kind of dedication

SAFMUTD

That is correct, but you also need drive to become a winner. Some of our players don't have enough of that.
If we were winning then everyone will be saying they have drive and how likeable they are. Unless they're absolute cnuts everyone likes winners that's the way it is. See Rashford everyone liked him last season now not so much, he's the same player just delivering differently.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
For non united fans, definitely.
And the two thirds of redcafe that watch our games and everything that goes on around the club and (somehow) still come to the conclusion that not dropping Bruno Fernandes is the problem.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I like Fernandes, Martinez, Varane, Casemiro, Mainoo, Hojlund, Garnacho. Not that i necessarily think they're all good enough, but those are the ones who I think genuinely put everything into it. I don't particularly dislike quite a lot of the others aside from having my suspicions about their mentality, but it might just be that they're not that good or need a better environment.

Then there's the opposite end of the spectrum of players who quite visibly COULD try harder but just don't bother to - Rashford, Martial, Sancho. Can't think of anyone else who definitely fits under the umbrella.

Other than that I don't care if footballers are really nice guys off the pitch or keep to themselves, or are secretly a bellend, as long as they don't a) engage in acts of serious criminality or moral reprehensibility, or b) feck around so much off the pitch that it makes them less effective on it. Unfortunately even though this is actually a really low bar for a professional athlete to stay above (literally just don't be such a massive bellend that you end up in the news specifically for being a bellend), we always seem to have multiple players who manage to limbo under it. Next season we just need one of them to be caught selling class A drugs to 5 year olds and another to appear in a party political broadcast for the tory party and we've basically completed cnut bingo.

Last edited:

Von Mistelroum

I think the only ones I genuinely like, are Hojlund, Mainoo, Casemiro, Martinez and Onana. By that I mean that they seem like players who care and who I care about. Doesn't mean I think they are all perfect for United.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
The majority of Redcafe.

The last time United were doing genuinely well was in 2013, so the only player from the current squad who could have received love because United were doing well is Evans.

stevoc

The last time United were doing genuinely well was in 2013, so the only player from the current squad who could have received love because United were doing well is Evans.
No, don't know about you but I'd say winning the league is actually doing great. Winning the Fa Cup, League Cup, Europa League or having a consistent season where we look decent and finish 2nd or 3rd is doing well. And by that metric Redcafe's measure of how likeable the squad is has been up and down like a roller coaster this last decade.

pacifictheme

Martinez, Shaw, Evans, mainoo, Bruno, garnacho, hojlund.

Think the last few weeks have soured me quite badly on rashford who generally I have defended and been a big fan of.

Red Regista

Sancho
Lingard
Rashford
Martial

These are the poster boys of our lazy, overpaid and entitled culture, and amongst the least likeable footballers to have put on a United shirt.

Thankfully one is gone and anothers contract is expiring. How I wish we could sell the other two
Man how I despise this group!
In Rugby someone would have broken their jaws in the dressing room for their antics, I can guarantee you that.

Pogba was the guy who started the toxic culture though tbh.
When we bought him back Woody and Pogba thought he was as big as Messi and CR7 - how wrong they were!
Talent wise he was a generational player, but his attitude was absolute crap and ultrimately his ability never reached the heights of Messi and CR7 or Scholesy for that matter, although he definitely could have with the right attitude.
I remember Pogba for introducing this dreadful 'Tik Tok and dabbing' culture at United.
With him it was always more about social media posts, hair styles, advertising and dancing than football and winning.
He and Lingard really were a match made in heaven, they both never stepped out of puberty and had a 'blast' doing all that unprofessional stuff together 'enjoying themselves'.
Martial, Rashford and later Sancho all started their pro careers in that toxic and unprofessional dressing room culture that Pogba and Lingard created.

Woody let the infestation grow and there we are, years later still struggling with professionalism, attitude and culture at the club.
We can't expect to win again or become the 'United of old' as long as the culture is wrong.

We need strong leadership to enforce a zero tolerance policy and get rid of the bad lot, otherwise we're going nowhere.
It's like putting the cheapest chinese tyres you can find on a Ferrari only to complain about the handling.

If a strong policy at the club means some players don't want to play for us then they can feck right off.
I'd rather have a slightly less talented, but ultra commited and professional group that work together as a unit, believe in the manager and fight for the club than a collection of tossers.
I bet the Newport players were laughing their butts off in the dressing room about the amount of wimps in our squad.

Jordi Cruyff 99

Man how I despise this group!
In Rugby someone would have broken their jaws in the dressing room for their antics, I can guarantee you that.

Pogba was the guy who started the toxic culture though tbh.
When we bought him back Woody and Pogba thought he was as big as Messi and CR7 - how wrong they were!
Talent wise he was a generational player, but his attitude was absolute crap and ultrimately his ability never reached the heights of Messi and CR7 or Scholesy for that matter, although he definitely could have with the right attitude.
I remember Pogba for introducing this dreadful 'Tik Tok and dabbing' culture at United.
With him it was always more about social media posts, hair styles, advertising and dancing than football and winning.
He and Lingard really were a match made in heaven, they both never stepped out of puberty and had a 'blast' doing all that unprofessional stuff together 'enjoying themselves'.
Martial, Rashford and later Sancho all started their pro careers in that toxic and unprofessional dressing room culture that Pogba and Lingard created.

Woody let the infestation grow and there we are, years later still struggling with professionalism, attitude and culture at the club.
We can't expect to win again or become the 'United of old' as long as the culture is wrong.

We need strong leadership to enforce a zero tolerance policy and get rid of the bad lot, otherwise we're going nowhere.
It's like putting the cheapest chinese tyres you can find on a Ferrari only to complain about the handling.

If a strong policy at the club means some players don't want to play for us then they can feck right off.
I'd rather have a slightly less talented, but ultra commited and professional group that work together as a unit, believe in the manager and fight for the club than a collection of tossers.
I bet the Newport players were laughing their butts off in the dressing room about the amount of wimps in our squad.
You make a lot of good points but I have never viewed Pogba as a generational talent. That is absurd to even read that. I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Hughes35

I like Martinez, Shaw, Varane, Mainoo, Casemiro and Hojlund.

I love Garnacho as a player and usually like a Bruno as a player too.

As a character I like Onana but just don't rate him at all.

Red Regista

You make a lot of good points but I have never viewed Pogba as a generational talent. That is absurd to even read that. I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.
Cheers!

I think he had a great combination of height, technical ability, athleticism, composure, vision, shooting technique and natural fitness.
In terms of central midfielders he was the best talent of his generation imo.
At Juve he looked like the best young or atleast one of the best young midfielders in Europe (before he got that big fat United contract) and we paid a record fee for him of which 80% was based on talent.

That's just my impression, I'm not a Scout so could be wrong but I remember that he was very highly rated throughout Europe when he was at Juve (and all the experts said that he hadn't even peaked).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The squad needs open heart surgery.
Most of the existing player roster needs to be replaced.

Are they likeable?
I don't really care - I just want us to win and stomp the opposition.

thisisnottaken1

Sancho
Lingard
Rashford
Martial

Pogba as well. Thankfully he’s also gone.

Tyrion

And the two thirds of redcafe that watch our games and everything that goes on around the club and (somehow) still come to the conclusion that not dropping Bruno Fernandes is the problem.
Bruno is our best player for all his faults. I don't get the people who focus on him.

Generational talent is the type of online term thrown around by people who watch too many YouTube compilations which means they'd probably overrate Pogba anyway as the YouTube compilation is his best position.