We have a lot of likeable players again, don't we?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm not talking about Sanchez and his piano playing and dog photos, or Mata with his cheeky face ending his blogs with "hugs". I'm talking about seeing players do their talking on the pitch again.

When Casemiro first joined he said all of the right things, but not many of us cared about that. We've all been here before time and again, and inevitably their match performances didn't back up the social media bravado. But over the last couple of months he's become a favourite of mine because of his class on and off the ball, and the attitude he shows on the pitch. In short; he wasn't bullshitting when he said he had come here to play football.

Even Shaw, who for years has just seemed like a bit of a lazy twat, is changing people's opinions. And it wasn't any tweets or photos of him shouting at the camera with raised fists that have changed that perception. It's because he's running his fat arse off and playing intelligently.

So who gets your award for "I'm quietly optimistic that they're proud to play for us"?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Good player = likeable?
That's partly it, but not every player performance thread is filled with posters talking about how they "like" the person behind the player. So I was just wondering...

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I like Bruno. He’s unpredictable and has passion and makes things happen. Agree re Casemiro. Eriksen is likeable. I like Anthony too in a funny way. Hope he grows further under TH

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Well I love all of Ten Haags new signings, It’s hard to not like any of them Because they are showing something which we’ve not seen in years.

there’s still a few trash bags though I’d be very glad to see the back of.

Tarrou

Antony is becoming a favourite of mine

he’s a bit of a twat though, it seems.. which is partly why I like him

we need a good few twats in the team to get back challenging in my opinion

GJNJ

I'm not talking about Sanchez and his piano playing and dog photos, or Mata with his cheeky face ending his blogs with "hugs". I'm talking about seeing players do their talking on the pitch again.

When Casemiro first joined he said all of the right things, but not many of us cared about that. We've all been here before time and again, and inevitably their match performances didn't back up the social media bravado. But over the last couple of months he's become a favourite of mine because of his class on and off the ball, and the attitude he shows on the pitch. In short; he wasn't bullshitting when he said he had come here to play football.

Even Shaw, who for years has just seemed like a bit of a lazy twat, is changing people's opinions. And it wasn't any tweets or photos of him shouting at the camera with raised fists that have changed that perception. It's because he's running his fat arse off and playing intelligently.

So who gets your award for "I'm quietly optimistic that they're proud to play for us"?
Martinez, he epitomises what I want to see from our players. I do think we have more players with that sort character and leadership now (Bruno, Casemiro, Varane) and it changes the whole makeup of the team when you have a few that will drag the others with them. We will still have inconsistent performances but the attitude is going in the right direction.

crossy1686

career ending
There's still a couple left who fall under the entitled and shit bracket but it's done wonders for the likability clearing out some of the names we cleared out last summer. A certain someone who made the worst documentary of all time, another who spent more time dancing on Tik Tok than playing football, another who despite being out on loan talks shit about United at every opportunity, and one more who seemed to think he was entitled to play more despite spending a majority of his time being injured and doing notable mad shit when he played.

hobbers

We signed 5 likeable first team players in the summer that's for sure.

Martinez, Casemiro and Antony have got so many qualities that we've lacked for a decade. Which only proves how stupid we were to not focus more scouting in South America.

el3mel

Mata did a lot for the club on the pitch when he was good enough. Not sure why he's included here.

Up till the end of 2017 season, he was easily one of our best players in post SAF era.

We just didn't move on from him at the correct time.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Might not like them again after the game v Chelsea.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I’ve always liked Fred even though he’s mostly been a bit rubbish and probably shouldn’t be here.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Antony is now my favourite I just love watching flair like that and he works hard too.

Martinez is also great to watch and we are seeing good versions of Casemiro and Varane.

If Shaw continues like this he's automatic first choice.

It seems a happy bunch fighting for each other in the main and they look like they care and are putting the work in which is the minimum fans should expect.

We've got rid of the bad apples it would seem and also they seem to buy in to the manager which also makes a huge difference. They must have all been pissed off getting benched in turn and seeing Harry start every game no matter what.

Last edited:

weizxx

Play good you are likeable, play shit you are hateable. Yes I am this simple.:rolleyes:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Most of the squad are doing well to reverse it but Dalot for me personally. I’ve always been incredibly meh on him but he’s making me like him now.

AndySmith1990

Yes. Remove the obvious problem child and we have a good team who all look to be committed to working hard and following the managers instructions.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Good player = likeable?
Bloody duffer stirring the pot again! :mad:

Jokes.

I agree with the OP. It’s a combination of things. As United fans we’ve been burnt so much recently, much more so than most/any other club(s). Pogba, Sanchez, di Maria, Maguire (to name a few), all big money signings and said the right things (for the most part) but followed it up with absolute shit on the field. Apology after apology but nothing to show for it. Of course it’s not all their fault but a combination of our scattergun approach, managers and more importantly - culture which was created at the club of low accountability and fat contracts.

Now we have a manager who has clear standards and expectations and hold those accountable to perform. And we have “hungry” players and “fighters” who has now also joined. It’s all infectious and something we’ve missed at the club.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I love that we finally have a lot of players who i (we) like to describe as "he is a cnut but our cnut".
Antony, Bruno, Lisandro, Casemiro....hated by oppo fans but loved by ours. I mean, i like Rashford and Fred for example, they are truly nice guys through and through but in those 90 minutes i want to see full squad of dirty pricks. :wenger:

NZT-One

Might not like them again after the game v Chelsea.
:D my thoughts exactly. I'm happy that the atmosphere is positive around the fanbase, but I guess, most of it is pretty shallow and will fade away quickly after a bad performance.

AndySmith1990

:D my thoughts exactly. I'm happy that the atmosphere is positive around the fanbase, but I guess, most of it is pretty shallow and will fade away quickly after a bad performance.
It's not about winning or losing, it's about attitude and work ethic. We'll never win every game, but as long as they put in the effort they won't be hated

Zen86

It’s easy to find players likeable when we’re doing well. Less so when we’re playing shit.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Martinez is by far my favourite of our new signings. He is everything I want to see in a United player.

Kag

Before it went tits up last year, people thought the team Ole had put together was the most likeable and culturally sound it had been in years. We lost a few games and then they were all bastards again.

The issue has almost always been down to quality here, not attitude. We’ve had a few dickheads (see Lingard), but for the most part our players have just been bogged down by the malaise.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Only the new additions plus dalot fred and ddg, the others tainted their reputation a bit too much for my liking last season so I'll wait before declaring them likable again.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I’ve always thought disliking a player was bizarre, especially since none of us actually know them.
We still have a bunch of players who aren’t good enough, that hasn’t changed yet but it’s getting there.

spiriticon

I wouldn't say a lot. I still have nightmares of Maguire, Shaw, McFred, AWB and now Ronaldo

I think getting rid of the Pogba and Lingard defo helped make our social media reputation more tolerable though

ExoduS

I mean when you are winning players are likable and when you are losing they are not. Try liking Martinez and Varane if we are conceding 2 - 3 goals a game.

Salwan

I wouldn't say a lot. I still have nightmares of Maguire, Shaw, McFred, AWB and now Ronaldo

I think getting rid of the Pogba and Lingard defo helped make our social media reputation more tolerable though
This.

The nucleus of the current team is still made of last year's team = arguably the least likable team since fergie retired, or rather of my lifetime since fergie's teams were all very likeable.

It speaks volumes that lisandro immediately became my favourite player. I also respect rashford for what he represents off the pitch. And that's it

Ole'sgunnarwin

I disliked Pogba and Lingard immensely. Not a huge fan of Maguire and Martial. But we're a lot more likeable now. Especially the new defense. Eriksen has always been one of my favourite players. Class player.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I like Martinez. He’s a scrapper and a bloody good footballer . In my opinion our player of the season to date.
Since I saw him make a bee line for Roy Keane to shake his hand before the Liverpool game I like Casemiro. I think his quality is obvious.
I like Eriksen. He’s a class footballer.
I like Antony. Think he has to stuff to go on to big things.
I like Varane. Always thought he was quality .
Rashford , Bruno , Sancho, McFred, Dalot, Shaw & DdG are getting there.

Rojofiam

Yeah, because we're back to winning games. The team was incredibly likeable to a lot of people a year ago too after we've just thrashed Leeds and Newcastle at home. If we go on a bad streak now, creating posts like this won't even cross your mind.

Elcabron

Most of the squad are doing well to reverse it but Dalot for me personally. I’ve always been incredibly meh on him but he’s making me like him now.
Agree. I had written him off but he is doing very well and not exactly the problem position i thought it was.

Martinez is by far my favourite of our new signings. He is everything I want to see in a United player.
Great signing this guy, he really is. Another one I had serious doubts about, I just assumed he would be similarly average to what we already had it man was I wrong.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Who cares? I want us to win, this is not Love Island.

This dumb obsession with 'likable' is the poster trend of the social media era.

Greck

It's easy with a manager like ETH. I just remember Jose's dressing room making me want to give up on life. Don't forget that pointing clapping twat Lukaku.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Martinez and Antony are brilliant for being the type of player you love on your side but would fecking hate on the opposition. Want them inside the tent pissing out, rather than outside the tent pissing in, a lot like Herrera was.

Not everyone here will agree, but I've always found Fred incredibly likeable as well. He's like some kind of irrepressibly happy border collie that won't stop chasing the ball around. Malacia seems to bring a very good attitude to his play as well.