We have a lot of likeable players again, don't we?

NZT-One

It's not about winning or losing, it's about attitude and work ethic. We'll never win every game, but as long as they put in the effort they won't be hated
Thanks for the info, but I haven't said anything about a win or a loss. I mentioned a "bad performance". Apart from that, you are right of course, as long as you are trying, people will not be as ferocious as they could be. But the OP was talking about players being likeable, which I guess is further down the line than "not being hated".

Tyrion

Good player = likeable?
Yes. Posters hate players who play badly and invent some kind of personal flaw to justify their genuine hatred of a stranger. If a player plays well, they do the opposite.

SAFMUTD

Lisandro Martinez embodies the ideal attitude I want to see from my team's players.

lex talionis

This is a difficult topic to sort out. Last season was a complete shambles, so few players were likable. Our most likable players, Mata and Donny, rarely played. Our least likable player, Maguire, wasn’t thought of as an unlikable guy until after his escapade in Greece. And then Greenwood, which no one saw coming. Pogba had been brewing as increasingly unlikable for some time. We all got frustrated with Rashford and Martial for their poor performances. Lingard was shit, but in fairness he begged to leave.

There really wasn’t much to the “unlikable squad” complaint, apart from Pogba’s antics. Poor performances of course, but that’s a different issue.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Eric Bailly too.
Yeah, Bailly and Rojo were both likeable because they were loose cannons... unfortunately that was a large part of the reason they weren't very good.

Duckmanquack

This is the first time since 2012 I feel joy thinking about our squad. We got some special players in there now for sure

AlPistacho

Now we have what people have, rightly, said we’ve been missing for almost a decade now; Leaders, characters and fighters. Literally 2 seasons ago the captaincy was such a big deal because we lacked leaders and fighters and type of characters we had were like tictokers

Now if ETH wanted a new captain the question would be who he has quite a few, and what’s great is that we have a variety of leaders. This is best summarised in the contrast between Varane and Martinez, both completely different personality and styles and both would probably split the fan base if it was a vote for the captaincy yet you couldn’t argue with either being captain of United.

Also we have Casemiro a quiet leader. Antony is a character. Bruno despite his flaws is leader/fighter/character.

This is already the most likeable United team in years, and it’s also becoming the most feared United team in years.

Lentwood

We have said this before though and it's one of the reasons I dislike the battering the players get when we lose games from fans and pundits.

For me, it's gotten too easy to simply say that players don't care. I understand they earn a tonne of money but the majority didn't get where they got without being ultra-competitive, driven individuals.

Confidence is huge in football. The difference between a 'likeable' team that work hard and a bunch of lazy, layabout time-wasters can be a bit of confidence, some organisation and a good team spirit

Boondog

I'm not talking about Sanchez and his piano playing and dog photos, or Mata with his cheeky face ending his blogs with "hugs". I'm talking about seeing players do their talking on the pitch again.

When Casemiro first joined he said all of the right things, but not many of us cared about that. We've all been here before time and again, and inevitably their match performances didn't back up the social media bravado. But over the last couple of months he's become a favourite of mine because of his class on and off the ball, and the attitude he shows on the pitch. In short; he wasn't bullshitting when he said he had come here to play football.

Even Shaw, who for years has just seemed like a bit of a lazy twat, is changing people's opinions. And it wasn't any tweets or photos of him shouting at the camera with raised fists that have changed that perception. It's because he's running his fat arse off and playing intelligently.

So who gets your award for "I'm quietly optimistic that they're proud to play for us"?
Nice post and good timing on it too. I have been thinking the same thing.

It is the way they fight for every ball. The way they play together as a team. The way they play defense. It is amazing the difference in so many of the same players. Now they are starting to keep their heads up when things go wrong. They are developing team resilience. They are tough mentally now.

I used to love talking shite about Bruno for example. But now I love Bruno. Still wish he'd ease up on the complaining, but his leadership and effort out there have been instrumental to what we are seeing.

And also it's the way everyone is improving. I mean it's across the board, it really is everyone. I can't believe the difference in Shaw. In DDG. In Dalot. So now instead of looking at this roster and wondering how many more players we need I am asking myself how many of these guys are going to get even better.

Feels really good to not care who is playing. To see the lineup and think "ok then" and know that someone you don't expect is going to put in a great shift. Feels so good. I have regained that loving feeling that I lost. :devil:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Now they are starting to keep their heads up when things go wrong. They are developing team resilience. They are tough mentally now.
Yeah, this bit is bang on. They haven't got "the fear" as Scotland fans call it, where every game they're just waiting for the moment they go a goal down, and then afterwards it's just "oh well, this is what we expected anyway."

always_hoping

Mostly new or recent signings and they might lead by example. With the way they folded so easy under any type of pressure it's still hard to trust and like the rest let's be honest.

Red-17

We have said this before though and it's one of the reasons I dislike the battering the players get when we lose games from fans and pundits.

For me, it's gotten too easy to simply say that players don't care. I understand they earn a tonne of money but the majority didn't get where they got without being ultra-competitive, driven individuals.

Confidence is huge in football. The difference between a 'likeable' team that work hard and a bunch of lazy, layabout time-wasters can be a bit of confidence, some organisation and a good team spirit
Yeah heaping it all on the players lacking effort and just being in it for the money is also ignoring the fact that every one of our players is currently losing a heap of money because they are not playing Champions league football. Even if they were motivated by money alone, surely then they would be giving it there all to get top 4 last year. Putting the issues of last season down to the players not caring/trying just ignores basic human psychology which is apparent watching any struggling football team.

Playing in a team where you feel you have purpose, understand your role, and are seeing success and progress makes you perform on a whole other level than playing in a disjointed team with no clear purpose. It is easy to put it all down to pure effort, but it is so much more than that.

Chief123

It’s no surprise my most likeable players right now are ETH signings. Martinez, Casemiro and Antony. Varane can join them too.

Tap

Play good you are likeable, play shit you are hateable. Yes I am this simple.:rolleyes:
Which player FC are you a member of?

If a player is playing well consistently, it generally reflects good attitude, professionalism and commitment. What’s so difficult to grasp about that.

RyRy11

Still can’t forgive some of the players downing tools last year. I like our new signings.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

How can anyone not love Lisandro?

hp88

This lot will run through brick walls for Erik, haven't seen them like this for years.

tjb

I wouldn't say a lot. I still have nightmares of Maguire, Shaw, McFred, AWB and now Ronaldo

I think getting rid of the Pogba and Lingard defo helped make our social media reputation more tolerable though
TBH we did have the likes of Fred and Herrera who cared about the team, but they weren't that good. At least Fred now doesn;t have to be given as much focus.

What's more apparent is we have had a bunch of players who were either quite toxic or not influential in the slightest which is starting to come to light now.

You had AWB, Sancho and Donny who have done very little to improve their games and can be quite passive on the pitch. Pogba, Ronaldo and Henderson who were loud negative voices, bringing negative media attention and putting pressure on their managers and the squad for unnecessary reasons. The likes of Bailly, Jones and Cavani could hardly care about what the club was doing. They were injured most of the time and had their heads elsewhere. Greenwood having his issues. Maguire taking on a leadership position he had no business holding given his relative lack of quality. Rashford had his injury issues. Martial and Lindelof are also quite passive too. All mashed together by having ineffective managers who bit off far more than they could chew.

The likes of Fred and Mctominay, despite their passion, were never good enough to have a real influence on the team. Shaw was never fit enough to do that either. Leaving Fernandes being the only quality player we had that could actually be a positive influence. I think last season the presence of Ronaldo really hurt his influence and that was partially responsible for the turn of the squad. This season, with ETH taking more of a leadership position whilst adding Martinez, Casemiro, Antony and even Malacia, we now have a few more characters in the team.

GreatDane

I downloaded the United app and was asked to pick a favorite player.
Last season I would struggle to pick one, now I have trouble picking only one!

wangyu

One of our most likable players is our most hated namely Fred.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I'd definitely say that for the first time in ages, we've got a lot of players whose onfield attitude and togetherness makes them a lot easier to like as a group.

Some players have 'said the right things' off the pitch, or are liked for their interaction and posts in a social media age, etc. But for those who just want a group of players who are trying their absolute upmost for the club, and who look like they hurt when they lose, etc, then we didn't seem to have a lot like that in recent years.

But the new signings, and ETH, have added to those numbers, and helped the ones that we did have - the likes of Varane, Fred and Fernandes - develop that spirit in the squad.

Last edited:

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I like Martinez. He’s a scrapper and a bloody good footballer . In my opinion our player of the season to date.
Since I saw him make a bee line for Roy Keane to shake his hand before the Liverpool game I like Casemiro. I think his quality is obvious.
I like Eriksen. He’s a class footballer.
I like Antony. Think he has to stuff to go on to big things.
I like Varane. Always thought he was quality .
Rashford , Bruno , Sancho, McFred, Dalot, Shaw & DdG are getting there.
DDG to be fair, even at his worse isnt dislikeable. Like fred, He tries and tries.. Just the ability wasn't there.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They're likeable for us as United fans but I expect detestable for opposition fans. I've still not forgiven a lot of them for the shite they served up last season, to be honest.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Apart from few exceptions such as hugs Mata, it is:
Winning = likeable players
Losing = unlikeable

Witchking

Fernandes, Casemiro, Martinez, varane, de gea, shaw, malacia, Antony, garnacho, eriksen, sabitzer, awb, dalot, rashford so basically the whole damn team. :wenger:

Last season hated most of the same players. Just couldn't see the effort. This season, you can see how much they are willing to sacrifice on the pitch. Just needs to continue along the same standards as a drop will be easily noticable.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Love Casemiro, Licha, Varane and Fred

FriedClams

A poll on redcafes favourite current united player would be pretty interesting... Options of Casemiro, Licha, Rashford, Varane, Shaw, Fred, Antony, De Gea.

Kag

One day people will realise that a poorly performing team is significantly more dysfunctional than boiling it all down to work rate.

The players look like they’re working hard because they’re confident, they know what they’re supposed to be doing and they’re winning.

We’ve made some good additions to the squad in terms of character. We’ve also got rid of dickheads like Lingard. But the squad is largely what it was, just confident and well coached.

If the wheels fall off (which they shouldn’t) then I guess folk will hate them all again.