We have a lot of likeable players again, don't we?

Seven Seas Sardines

Mad to me how so many see De Gea as likeable.
  • He blames everyone around him for his own mistakes and shortcomings
  • Says he has nothing to prove or improve
  • Hugs every damn opponent in the tunnel pregame
  • Bottles worse than Spurs
  • Whenever we lose but he made a camera save he's ecstatic that he can milk on social media - the Maguire of keepers
  • Doing all his work off the pitch to gain a new contract and followers to his gaming venture, having learnt how to use PR and manipulation after a decade under the best(worst) in the business

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Mad to me how so many see De Gea as likeable.
  • He blames everyone around him for his own mistakes and shortcomings
  • Says he has nothing to prove or improve
  • Hugs every damn opponent in the tunnel pregame
  • Whenever we lose but he made a camera save he's ecstatic that he can milk on social media, man's the Maguire of keepers
  • Doing all his work off the pitch to gain a new contract and followers to his gaming venture, having learnt how to use PR and manipulation after a decade under the best(worst) in the business
Any concrete examples of the bolded ones?

Seven Seas Sardines

Any concrete examples of the bolded ones?
1: Watch any game of Manchester United when he misplaces a pass, concedes or puts us under pressure. He waives his arms around shouting at teammates as if they were culpable.

2: Hoek on De Gea (there are many more examples if you google)

3: Watch any post-match interview when we lose and he's trying to save his own skin bringing up how good he was but defense let him down. Always posts pics of his camera saves no matter the result.

Tyrion

Not really.
Fans like anyone who wins. If the team loses, no-one cares if they're hard working team players. If the team wins, no-one cares if they're lazy mercenaries.

Personally I still like many of the players (Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Rashford).

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Fans like anyone who wins. If the team loses, no-one cares if they're hard working team players. If the team wins, no-one cares if they're lazy mercenaries.

Personally I still like many of the players (Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Rashford).
Do you still?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Hannibal
Pellestri
Mainoo
Martinez
Kampala
Hojlund
Malacia
Garnacho

Sell the rest

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’ve said it before but the positive hyperbole on here is as bad as the negative. A bit of decent form and it’s “we’re the 2nd team in the league” etc.

It’s just broken attitudes when you follow a team who genuinely did used to win the league every year with an unbelievably fortunate spine of players. People just want to have that back immediately.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Maybe the moral of the story is to not conflate likability with competence.

Don't look up to players when the team is doing well, and don't dislike them as people when they're playing like shit.

Get In Scholesy

Maybe the moral of the story is to not conflate likability with competence.

Don't look up to players when the team is doing well, and don't dislike them as people when they're playing like shit.
Spot on.

If I may add further, they are merely employees whose competencies fluctuate as per the environment surrounding them.

An individuals fondness of a certain player skews perceptions and assists in misconstruing facts (the player being no longer up to standard or not performing well in the team). This is something that Fergie was so good at and why he continued to build successful teams.

Abraxas

I don't have strong feelings on them, with a few notable exceptions that have had work rate issues for a long time. Mostly the typical modern player in a nutshell. Fragile, protected. You'd find the same things at lots of clubs until a manager focuses their minds and the culture of the club improves as a result.

The problem really is that they're simply not good enough so it's never going to be a great look. But they didn't sign themselves did they?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Folk giving @Mr Pigeon pelters on Christmas Day for a positive thread written when things were looking up! For shame!
If I cared about any of them, or even respected these plebs in the slightest, then I imagine that I would be hurt in some way.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Mctominay is likeable in a relatable way. fecking useless at his job, but hanging on in there anyway. I’ve got time for that

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Imagine deciding to bump this thread on Christmas. You'd want to be an awful joyless gowl.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
this didn't age well
I think he's f**king brilliant

He's what, 18? 19 max?

Already at this age he's scored goal of the season and is the catalyst for our comebacks

He has technique in abundance, courage in abundance

On top of that, his post-match interview just showed maturity where he was aware enough to big up Rashford and highlight being pleased for Rasmus.

In 7 years, he'll only 25.

I think he'll become one of our greatest ever players. We just need more like him - like we had Rooney and Ronaldo
He’s outstanding….his composure and game iq are out of this world for an 18 year old. I just love watching him.

cpresc

Just to clarify my stance here... I think Garnacho is awesome but our squad remains full of unlikeable characters:

Sancho (timid and lazy)
Martial (timid and lazy)
Donny (useless and hides)
Rashford (arrogant and selfish)
Eriksen (zero personality and can't run)
Maguire (slowly redeeming himself but certainly no leader, clown-like)
Mount (snarly and irrelevant)

doughole

The team has not felt like a united solid group for so long now its hard to remember when this was.

There is a lot of quality but for a long time it has felt like a group of mercenaries rather than a family of footballers.