We lack creativity

NoPace

I think that because Lingard and Herrera are not great against set defences, we need a RW and a creative midfielder, unless Fred can be that guy. Imagine if Pogba missed even 3 weeks, we'd basically have to move to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 because you can't really play a 4-3-3 without a CM who can dribble or pass forward consistently.

Basically, if we start games like this:

Martial--Rashford----RW
-----Pogba----Herrera---
-----------Matic----------

and then when we need to attack more (or from the start for home games against weaker teams) we could bring on the CM we sign and let Herrera take Matic's role, and Lukaku will be our big striker off the bench.

We should really sign Ziyech from Ajax. He's desperate to leave, his end product improves every year, he's 25 and he'd fit the team perfectly positionally:

Martial/Rashford----Rashford/Lukaku--------
------------------------------------Ziyech----
-------------Pogba--------Herrera------------
Shaw-------------Matic--------------------RB/Dalot
------------CB-----------Lindelof--------------

would be a really solid all-around team and we could always play a right-winger or all 3 of our forwards and drop a midfielder when we need more firepower out there, and if Pogba has to miss a game we'd still have a creative central midfield option. I'm not saying he's the best player out there, but it seems like a really pragmatic signing we could make along with Alderweild and we'd definitely have a stronger starting XI for like 70-80M.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We lacked our front 3 is what. They're responsible for what we've seen during the last 8 games. We all know Lukaku and Mata are cack.
It's as simple as that. I don't understand why Ole would wanna experiment with Rashford on the left and Lukaku when it's something that hasn't really worked at all under Jose.

Footyislife

I think we missed Martial today. Him Pogba & Shaw link up well to create most of our chances with the defense set. Not sure why Sanchez didn't start on the left.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Our creativity has been brilliant since Ole took over. Plenty of chances were created last night to win the game. Unfortunately, Rashford had an off day and we still ended up scoring 2 goals.

Stacks

Jesus, this is the most knee-jerk thing I've ever seen. After 8 games full of verve, creativity and exciting attacking play, one draw against Burnley (featuring 28 attempts on goal) and we 'lack creativity.'
Yep. This is the cafe. Fail to break down (scoring 2 goals) a team who had 7 in the box means we lack creativity....

Stacks

Jesus, this is the most knee-jerk thing I've ever seen. After 8 games full of verve, creativity and exciting attacking play, one draw against Burnley (featuring 28 attempts on goal) and we 'lack creativity.'
Yep. This is the cafe. Fail to break down (scoring 2 goals) a team who had 7 in the box means we lack creativity....

Fosu-Mens

With the "normal" setup we do not lack creativity. We should have won yesterday based on chances created and allowed. The biggest issue yesterday was our pressing. With Lukaku and Mata we were not able to press in an efficient manor. It the past games we have been able to win the ball high in the pitch and catching the other team unbalanced, against Burnley we were not able to.

I think this thread would be correct if it was named; we lack creativity without Pogba on the pitch. Our dependency on him might become a weakness if he is injured.

I disagree. We have creative players, but you cannot create for forwards who are unable to get on the end of anything, or even show movement for a pass. That was our problem last night.

It's also very difficult to create when every time we lose the ball we recover it in our defence and have to move it through the whole length of the pitch. That takes too long and the opposition recovers their shape. We need to recover higher up the pitch and catch them unprepared.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think this is a fair point myself. Our best teams always had 2 or 3 players who could be the creator. Scholes, Becks, Giggs, Rooney, Veron, Tevez, Carrick, even Keane...

AgentP

This thread is a bit knee-jerk but still has some truth to it. In our team, Pogba is the main creative outlet. Sanchez is the second best but he's not a regular starter. We need one more starter who can share the creative burden with Pogba. Sancho or Suso on the right wing might be what we need in our team. If we can supplement this with two good full backs who can get in decent crosses, then we'll have no trouble breaking down teams who sit back.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This thread is a bit knee-jerk but still has some truth to it. In our team, Pogba is the main creative outlet. Sanchez is the second best but he's not a regular starter. We need one more starter who can share the creative burden with Pogba. Sancho or Suso on the right wing might be what we need in our team. If we can supplement this with two good full backs who can get in decent crosses, then we'll have no trouble breaking down teams who sit back.
So it isn't knee jerk!

We can dream about Sancho for the next 2 years but he isn't coming back to Manchester;not to us anyway!

AgentP

So it isn't knee jerk!

We can dream about Sancho for the next 2 years but he isn't coming back to Manchester;not to us anyway!
Coming immediately after our first draw in 9 games is a bit knee-jerk I think! Anyway, if we can't get Sancho, we should get someone else who is more on the creative side rather than a pure goal scorer which we have plenty in the side already.

Inigo Montoya

Coming immediately after our first draw in 9 games is a bit knee-jerk I think! Anyway, if we can't get Sancho, we should get someone else who is more on the creative side rather than a pure goal scorer which we have plenty in the side already.
Name one pure goal scorer that we have that's in the same league as Kane,Aguero etc?

We forwards who can score but not prolific as yet.

If you're talking on the creative side, it's a RW that we need but if we're going to play with 2 defensive style midfielders then we rely heavily on Pogba as our creative hub. We

sweetmgd

When we attack, we supposed to create chance for wingers to challenge the opponents' full backs by 1 on 1, look at what Paul Scholes did, one long pass to create chance for wingers 1 on 1, that's it. Simple and efficient.

But look at our wingers now, especially the right hand side, never have the ability to do that, but only play the ball in the middle, bring more defenders in the middle, and block the way for Pogba to get forward, like vs Burnley. It makes us too predicable and so easy to defend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Name one pure goal scorer that we have that's in the same league as Kane,Aguero etc?

If you're talking on the creative side, it's a RW that we need but if we're going to play with 2 defensive style midfielders then we rely heavily on Pogba as our creative hub. We
Agreed, we lack a first class superstar forward and wide players of any kind.

AgentP

I don't get what you are suggesting. Who do you want us to sign? We don't have anyone like Kane and Aguero but it's not like we can just go into the market and get one. Martial has just signed a new contract and Rashford is just getting into his stride. These two are going to play a lot and hopefully in a few years, they'll be getting closer to the level of elite forwards.

TRUERED89

Liverpool drew 1-1 with Leicester, do they lack creativity? these games happen. Had Rashford scored that absolute sitter in the 7th minute this thread wouldn't exist. had we not won our previous 8 games! then i'd understand the frustration. Ole will start the normal front 3 this weekend and we'll win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inigo Montoya

I don't get what you are suggesting. Who do you want us to sign? We don't have anyone like Kane and Aguero but it's not like we can just go into the market and get one. Martial has just signed a new contract and Rashford is just getting into his stride. These two are going to play a lot and hopefully in a few years, they'll be getting closer to the level of elite forwards.
|My point exactly...you stated that we have pure goalscorers; we haven't

Inigo Montoya

Liverpool drew 1-1 with Leicester, do they lack creativity? these games happen. Had Rashford scored that absolute sitter in the 7th minute this thread wouldn't exist. had we not won our previous 8 games! then i'd understand the frustration. Ole will start the normal front 3 this weekend and we'll win.
This thread would exist had we or hadn't we scored

TRUERED89

This thread would exist had we or hadn't we scored
really? if Rashford scored that easy chance, there's no way Burnley would have Knicked a 2-2 draw, then there would be no need for a 'we lack creativity' thread. If Herrera, Martial & Lingard Started we would have won without doubt.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It’s impossible to be creative every game. I feel United will be more creative against teams that play with pace and who want to create space themselves. It’s hard against team like Burnley who defend deep and defend well. We had it numerous times when Fergie was at the helm. Teams come to OT and make it hard for United and rightly so on their part. Then we go to somewhere like Arsenal and demolish them because they leave space for United to be creative with because they’re having to attack. I’ll bet United will find more creativity against Liverpool and City when they come to OT than Burnley or Palace or Whoever. I’m not worried in the slightest

Johan07

IMO Martial is the most creative player we have in the team.

StrettyEnder07

Dont think the attack needs that much work, I would let Mata go and go for a top class pacey RW to compete with Lingard, you have Sanchez/Martial for left, Rashford/Lukaku (if he goes which he might, promote Greenwood to back up to Rashford).

I would like to see another DMC come in, Neves would be my choice but could be expensive (TFM a chance as DMC?), if Fred gets his act together you have him Pogba Herrera for the two positions, not sold on Pereira or McTominey so maybe a CM as well.

CB and RB are needed urgently

Sauldogba

For me we do lack creativity in the sense that for the most part the only way we seem to break down teams is playing on the counter attack.
Im pretty sure most our goals under oles tenure have been goals that have come from a counter attack.
Another thing that not many have picked up on is that we have a few players that are prone to making bad decisions.
Pogba and Rashford to be exact.
For example,Pogba shooting when he should pass,Rashford being greedy and shooting when he should pass.
That freekick that Rashford likes to always take where he shoots even though hes scored like one freekick for us.
It does not help at all.
I find the best decision makers in our team to be Martial and Sanchez but unfortunately Sanchez has been a bit shit for us

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I keep hearing people say this but truth of the matter is that both Sanchez and Martial create more chances than Pogba on average. So when I read posts like yours claiming that Pogba is our only creative outlet it makes me wonder whether people genuinely believe that or just repeat what they've read somehowere.

IMO Martial is the most creative player we have in the team.
Pretty much. Only Sanchez has a higher ratio than Martial but he's played very little to judge properly which leave Martial as our best creator this season. Yet people would have you believe that Pogba is the only creative outlet in our team.

AgentP

I keep hearing people say this but truth of the matter is that both Sanchez and Martial create more chances than Pogba on average. So when I read posts like yours claiming that Pogba is our only creative outlet it makes me wonder whether people genuinely believe that or just repeat what they've read somehowere.

Pretty much. Only Sanchez has a higher ratio than Martial but he's played very little to judge properly which leave Martial as our best creator this season. Yet people would have you believe that Pogba is the only creative outlet in our team.
Actually, you guys are right. I checked out the stats on Squawka and Martial creates 3.21 chances per 90 minutes compared to Pogba's 2.21. Rashford and Sanchez also create more than 2 chances per 90. I still stand by my opinion that Pogba is the most creative but yes categorizing Martial and Rashford as just goal scorers would be wrong.

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
Sanchez is a criminal signing if he's on huge wages because he used to dribble by 2 or 3 players and score into the top corner for Arsenal.

Now, you'd be lucky to see him dribble by someone.

StrettyEnder07

See we have been linked with Sancho today, that would be a quality signing, Martial Rashford Sancho front 3!

I would go all out this summer for a CB and RW then see what funds are left over for potentially a RB and CM, first two are the main priority, go big and get them sorted!

OleTheGreat

I have always been critical about our creativity under the last 3 managers but since Ole has arrived we have looked better and i think the creativity factor will show as we move on. I think we a lot forward thinking now and since the Newcastle match under Mourinho we have showed that we can bounce back and hurt opponents if we put our minds to it. The problem often has been that every good team has that 20 mins patch in a match where they play synchronous football and create a lot of chances but with United it is a small 5 mins patches here and there and that's the worry for now.

We'll soon blend as a team because as far as i know, OGS knows his best XI and for as long as they play together often, things will start to get creative. Pogba as a number 10, how long have i wished this happened. He's our absolute best player to connect the defence with the attack. The back 4 along with Herrera and Matic have to stop the opponents, get the ball and pass it to Pogba and thus starts our attack. This can happen every time we hand him the ball.

Reactions: Invictus

Alexit

We need someone like Douglas Costa on the RW. Then a top CM and CB... (maybe LB to put pressure on Shaw, replacement for Blind) done!
Pretty much agree with this. You are 100 percent right.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Offer Eriksen as much as he wants. Give him a blank cheque.

Suvvernmanc

With Pogba as our only creative midfielder, we could definately do with more creativity. Rashford drops deeper and wider at times, Martial doesn't as much amd Lingard roams the channels through the middle leaving the right flank week. So in our midfield and attack we have only 2-3 players that actually contribute to a goal scoring opportunity.

We need a proper right winger badly. For me Lingard/Mata should play through the middle in a midfield 3. In games where we are pinning the oppo back with a high press and the majority of possession, having Matic, Pogba and one of Lingard or Mata would work. It would free up the right wing spot and as I've said, they both play centrally any way. Against opposition that will play a bit against us, Herrera is the man.

deadrevelz

Think OP has a point. We have struggled in recent years to deal with organised teams who defend with 11 players in the box. Mata should really be the player to unlock these defences but he rarely succeeds.

Not sure if we should buy anyone for this though. Playing quick, cute one touch passes in the box can be coached. That beautiful Martial goal proves we can do it.

Canagel

I think he can play in midfield. Next to Pogba in front of a mobile DM.
We need the RB, CB, RW and DM urgently. Do you think we can sign 5 players in one window?
We will be creative enough with the above 4 signings. We already are imo. A RW and DLP will complete everything.

Skills

Snitch
We need the RB, CB, RW and DM urgently. Do you think we can sign 5 players in one window?
We will be creative enough with the above 4 signings. We already are imo. A RW and DLP will complete everything.
I don't think we need a DM urgently. We have two very good options in Matic and Herrera, and we should be looking to upgrade sometime next summer when Matic's contract expires.

I also wouldn't mind us putting our eggs into the Dalot basket for one season, like Liverpool did with TAA. If he lives up to it great if not, we can upgrade the following year. Tie down Young to a 1-year extension and we have a worthy back up, and Laird can maybe step up as genuine competition.

CM, RW and CB is where we need to spunk all our cash.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This.