We lost a game, stop over analysing everything

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

It's to be expected, especially after what happened midweek.

It's not the end of the world.

If doesn't deserve 20 threads analysing everything and it doesn't need individual player threads being blamed. We lost. Yes it sucks, but we move on and yes players have bad days but we move on. Onwards and upwards not backwards and downwards.

Eric7C

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

If doesn't deserve 20 threads analysing everything and it doesn't need individual player threads being blamed. We lost. Yes it sucks, but we move on and yes players have bad days but we move on. Onwards and upwards not backwards and downwards.
Yes, especially considering that we played well and created chances, unlike the LvG and Jose era where the same result would likely have been a sideways defensive affair.

SER19

I just never grasp why people do this. In our absolute best season ever never to be matched we lost 3-2 at home to boro, got thumped 3-0 by arsenal (twice in Cs) and has the mother of all howlers away at Sheffield Wednesday. We had some gritty boring wins and took 2 Cup ties to replays after 0-0 draws and got past a lower league Fulham with an ugly Andy Cole deflected goal.

Every team loses. Every team has bad games. Take a breathe and move on.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well going by this place none of our players are good enough. It's amazing how creative posters are when we lose.

Stepney73

Agree with the OP

We didn't play that bad yesterday and conceded a freak goal that changed the game and later a soft penalty.

All teams have days like yesterday.

We got the rub of the green against PSG and Arsenal got it yesterday.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

Totally agreed.

RG 11

Yeah, it was just one of those days. A shite mistake and a soft penalty were pretty much the only decent chances Arsenal created. We hit the bar and the post and had more chances. It's an extraordinary run of results considering our injury list in the past few weeks.

The match day thread was abysmal today even by the usual standard. Posters were slating the team non stop as if the team has to put in 3 goals in the first 10 minutes.

SirAnderson

100%. Can't expect invincibles every time we step out on the pitch. What I am happy with was our performance was decent, and sure, we can "over" analyze some of the players and what not, but in the end we just didn't have a good day, which happens in football.

Jomini Da Tactician

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

I completely agree. I was actually afraid of coming on here yesterday for fear of reading some really daft posts conceived by absolute reactionaries. We need more positivity. We actually played well and created good chances! It just happened to be one of those days. I really loved Ole's post-match conference though. We are improving under him and can only get better.

Reactions: langster

SoCross

We played some lovely football too. That one particular counter-attack in the first half was :drool:

The penalty came at the wrong time, we were beginning to make inroads. Unfortunate but c'est la vie. Lot of positives to take.

Loony BoB

It's interesting that you want us to stop over-analysing everything. Do you think that if we over-analyse then it will have an impact on our fans, and thus, an impact on the atmosphere at our games, leading to a downfall in morale amongst the team, leading to poorer results? I can see where you're going with this, and it's a solid theory. I think we should look into it further.

BlackBen

Agreed. We lost and it sucks but we lost playing well and creating huge chances. This wouldn’t have happened under Mourinho.

We shouldn’t be expected to win every game, that’s not how it works. But I’m also glad that at least us fans can get angry about us not winning a game again when we would have felt numb under the toxic one.

Coops73

Good OP and totally agree.

This run had to come to an end and as someone else pointed out if it had been under Jose or Van Gaal it would of looked a lot uglier. We still attacked, we created better chances and I don’t think Arsenal were significantly the better team but as was pointed out by the pundits on sky we weren’t at it for the first half hour and that was crucial (kind of understandable after Wednesday) it’s how the team reacts now and I personally don’t have any concerns, these players just seem to have a different attitude under Olé.

kthanksbye

To be fair we played well, I'm not too worried about the performance, we were still in the game till they scored the 2nd. And had Lukaku made it 0-1, it would've been a different story altogether.
Nothing to worry about in terms of form, dropping 3 points against our direct challengers for top 4 is going to hurt us though. But it's not like Ole has been found out or the players have stopped trying or anything has stopped working.

Jomini Da Tactician

I just never grasp why people do this. In our absolute best season ever never to be matched we lost 3-2 at home to boro, got thumped 3-0 by arsenal (twice in Cs) and has the mother of all howlers away at Sheffield Wednesday. We had some gritty boring wins and took 2 Cup ties to replays after 0-0 draws and got past a lower league Fulham with an ugly Andy Cole deflected goal.

Every team loses. Every team has bad games. Take a breathe and move on.
Maybe it's because negativity has infected the sub for such a long time that any loss is taken badly. As a result, reactionaries often come up with all sorts of creative ways to pin the blame on anyone. Sometimes, all we want is some positivity. God knows we need it after a long time of dealing with all the bad energy as a result of three failed managerial appointments.

anant

It's interesting that you want us to stop over-analysing everything. Do you think that if we over-analyse then it will have an impact on our fans, and thus, an impact on the atmosphere at our games, leading to a downfall in morale amongst the team, leading to poorer results? I can see where you're going with this, and it's a solid theory. I think we should look into it further.
Wut! I hope you are just being sarcastic here. There have been games in the past and there will be games in the future where we'll fail to get a W despite being by far the better team. It's not some computer simulation run a 1000 times where the result would be in sync with the actual result. OP is 100% right here. We dont need to start overanalysing the tactics, the mentality and stuff that doesn't even exist

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Thread of the week.

We've got our team back. Sometimes in football you lose. Arsenal are a decent side and we didn't take our chances. At this level, it costs you.

They'll now be super motivated to put it right against wolves

GloryHunter07

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

I completely agree.

Mcking

Tbh, our performances in the last few games have been lethargic imo. This was no exception, only that we couldn't get the goals to win this time.

Hasawi Red

Actually, this loss is a bit bittersweet for me, it has been ages where i felt that we really should not have lost and just it was not our day. We go again next game:devil:

Have not said that since Fergie retired, good thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Dex_Utd

Agree with OP, we played well and on another day it would have been 1-1 or even 1-2.

Also the fans of xG should be happy, as our xG was nearly one more than Arsenal!

Ventura

Well said. It's not like anyone could expect to go the rest of the season without a defeat. Main thing is we created plenty of chances to score ... and then there was THAT attack, you know the one I mean probably.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Spurs- 61 pts
Arsenal -60 pts
Utd- 58 pts

Does anyone think that won't change over the last 8 games?

Kapardin

If anything, it's on Woodward for not sacking Jose sooner, that even one defeat in so many games appears costly. Can't blame Ole or the players, the high I got from the PSG win is enough to tide me over this defeat.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Correct. If roles were reversed we would be saying we were completely outplayed by Arsenal despite the win.

Siorac

If anything, it's on Woodward for not sacking Jose sooner, that even one defeat in so many games appears costly. Can't blame Ole or the players, the high I got from the PSG win is enough to tide me over this defeat.
Indeed. It was apparent looooong before the Liverpool defeat that he'd been phoning it in. If we had sacked him earlier, we might be a lot further ahead. It'd be fairly conservative to say that we'd have, say, six more points and even that would be huge right now.

ship50

True. Lost a game, felt bad, now move on. What's the point of so much analysis? We missed some chances and there was this 'wind' and rain too :p. I'm sure Ole and his staff are doing the analysis part and I know we will do much better next time.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
When are we going to move on from this? It's 3 months now!

Vault Dweller

The amount of people desperate to read into it too much is hilarious, didn't realise so many on here wanted to see us stumble.
It would concern me but I have the feeling there has been a large influx of fans of other sides masquerading as United fans tbh. Either that or it’s pathetic how many people bash the team for anything and everything.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
People tend to overreact though.

At least I didn't sit after the match in despair thinking "how is it possible for these players to be so bad"? No hope. On another day we would get something from that game.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think it's just frustrations boiling over after a few really shitty things happened in one important game:

De Gea howler
Good chances missed
Low energy team performance
Some ropy individual performances
Strange tactical set-up (442 crap, five at the back better, 442 insipid again)
Soft as shite penalty
Key game lost

However I agree with the OP, over-analysis is pointless. Defeats and flat performances can happen at any time to any team, and right after a roller-coaster CL knockout game is not the time you want to be playing such a key match away from home.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's our first PL defeat in nearly three months and we were the better team yesterday. We played some good football just our finishing let us down and we were hard done by that penalty decision.

simplyared

Good thread! We could easily have got 3 pts from that game. We didn't and that's football. It was entertaining, good quality, and tbh I thought we put in a good all round performance. So as the op is saying we go on and with Ole in charge. Never felt more sure as I do now. H'es our man! We are now playing football worthy of Man Utd!

Litch

We lost.

Shit happens.

Players have off days.

Spot on. No revelation losing to Arsenal at their place and it's hardly like we got outplayed. People on here and aspects of the media already have amnesia what life was like pre Ole.....

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The funny thing is we played much better than the Tottenham match, but we took our chances.

We played well but didn't take our chances today = meltdown. This forum is a strange bunch sometimes.