We Miss Fellaini

rooneyaldo

previously Cardiff, Wales. Now Montreal, Canada
Some good points made. However why does fellaini have to replace Rooney? We need to persist with Rooney and we know he will come good. Why not play fellaini in the januzaj role today. Given all his attributes, I think he will be incredible there in the system we play.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We miss Van Persie ala 2012. One of the most complete and clincal forwards the club has ever had.

That's the calibre we need not Fellaini. Fellaini's a great weapon for us as a Plan B.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
No your point makes no sense. Rooney played like shite as an out and out striker today in link up play, maintaining possession and in capitalizing on goal scoring opportunities.

Fellaini was good in all the duties asked of him by the manager last year and chipped in with 10 goals in 37 appearances. Far from shite and pretty damn good contribution over a season from a midfield player who allegedly only played 3 good games.
Nah, Rooney was mint. Consistently mint with regards to his instructions from the manager...And all that bollox that seems to count for Fellaini.

I'm not sure why you are counting matches for Belgium, but he scored 7 for us in 31 appearances. Doesn't surprise me though...

He scored some important goals (Draw against West Brom, Win against Palace, crucial 2-1 goal against Manchester City), which is mint. At the start of the season he was as miserable as he was in the first season, utter dross.Performance wise he only started looking decent towards the end of the season when we used him for all that he's worth, long balls that he can chest down and play forward.

Then Chelsea nullified him as a threat easily when they beat us, Everton took it even further, miserable against West Brom at home, crucial goal against Palace apart from not playing well, nothing interesting about his performance against Arsenal and he got sent off against Hull...

Devil may care

Miss him? I'm still blissfully enjoying being able to forget he's still around with this 3 match ban. If we resort to this then all the talk of attractive football and the Ajax and Barcelona principles and philosophy go down the toilet.

United again!

Oh @Walrus of course it was you. :)

I think returning to the 4-3-3 with him outside left 10 would be the best option. It would bring Mata and Young more into play.

AR87

Nah, Rooney was mint. Consistently mint with regards to his instructions from the manager...And all that bollox that seems to count for Fellaini.

I'm not sure why you are counting matches for Belgium, but he scored 7 for us in 31 appearances. Doesn't surprise me though...

He scored some important goals (Draw against West Brom, Win against Palace, crucial 2-1 goal against Manchester City), which is mint. At the start of the season he was as miserable as he was in the first season, utter dross.Performance wise he only started looking decent towards the end of the season when we used him for all that he's worth, long balls that he can chest down and play forward.

Then Chelsea nullified him as a threat easily when they beat us, Everton took it even further, miserable against West Brom at home, crucial goal against Palace apart from not playing well, nothing interesting about his performance against Arsenal and he got sent off against Hull...
Whatever you say

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
We miss Van Persie ala 2012. One of the most complete and clincal forwards the club has ever had.

That's the calibre we need not Fellaini. Fellaini's a great weapon for us as a Plan B.
Van Persie 12/13, seems so long ago now. Was banging them in from every angle.

AR87

Yep.

It was the same with Anderson - poor - poor - poor - poor - poor - poor -poor -poor - decent performance - everybody goes "He's fecking mint now, just what we need, no need to sign any new midfielders, this is it" - poor - poor - poor - "But overall he was good"
Except never have I said that we shouldn't sign anybody and just stick Fellaini in the starting XI. All I'm saying is he played well last year in the role he was asked to fill. If you want to continue to believe he only played well thrice last season that's your prerogative.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Yep.

It was the same with Anderson - poor - poor - poor - poor - poor - poor -poor -poor - decent performance - everybody goes "He's fecking mint now, just what we need, no need to sign any new midfielders, this is it" - poor - poor - poor - "But overall he was good"
:lol: You are having a mare.
If you feel up to it though, see if you can respond to the fact that in Fellaini's first three games last season when he effectively came into the side, were a winning goal off the bench, a MotM performance against a rampant Chelsea side, and another near-MotM performance the week after against City.

Alternately, dont, and continue to repeat the same tripe that people in this thread have already disproved. Either way doesnt really matter that much to me.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
:lol: You are having a mare.
If you feel up to it though, see if you can respond to the fact that in Fellaini's first three games last season when he effectively came into the side, were a winning goal off the bench, a MotM performance against a rampant Chelsea side, and another near-MotM performance the week after against City.

Alternately, dont, and continue to repeat the same tripe that people in this thread have already disproved. Either way doesnt really matter that much to me.
Not sure what you've been drinking, but his first match winning goal was against Crystal palace, at the end of the season. He did however score the first goal against Stoke, which we ended up winning 2-1. He was very good against Chelsea. Not very good against City, not very good against Crystal Palace and so on (Not very good, or not good, is a common theme for him)

His third match of the season in 2014/2015 was away against WBA, where he scored to make it 1-1 (ended 2-2)

Not sure what you're on about.

Not sure about your wankfest over Fellaini either.

Ah, you are the same bloke that reckons it's a good idea to hire Giggsy as our next manager :lol::lol: That does explain things

ZDwyr

I think we miss him in a way. He definitely could have done better than Rooney up-front and would be an interesting option if played there. I think van Gaal would prefer him over Herrera in that #10 role, particularly in away matches. I'm curious to see what happens when he is available.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We don't, at all.

Who we miss is Van Persie, or a striker of his ilk, to hold up the ball better.

NK86

No Fellaini, no party.

I do disagree about putting him as a forward, though. We need to get the same midfield three we saw at the back end of last season. Had a mixture of everything. Strength, composure, energy, guile - the lot.
Really, the same midfield which helped us score a sum total of zero goals for 3-4 matches after the City match? That midfield and our wide players were one of the reasons for our pedestrian performances last season and you want us to revert to that, just so Fellaini can come back into this squad. Are you having a laugh?

NK86

No your point makes no sense. Rooney played like shite as an out and out striker today in link up play, maintaining possession and in capitalizing on goal scoring opportunities.

Fellaini was good in all the duties asked of him by the manager last year and chipped in with 10 goals in 37 appearances. Far from shite and pretty damn good contribution over a season from a midfield player who allegedly only played 3 good games.
10 goals from 37 game is something even Rooney would manage this season, especially considering thw fact that Fellaini played as a second striker for a lot of last season. Although Rooney has been shite so far, but Fellaini ia not an upgrade on him.

NK86

For those advocating starting Fellaini ahead of this game's Rooney, why not give Henandez a chance? He is the second striker and if he is not considered good enough to start at all we might as well sell him.

Varun

Staff
This thread says more about Rooney than it does about Fellaini.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There's nothing better than hoofing the ball at the big lump with funny hair

NK86

We miss having a player like Ruud.
His touch was awesome. Seeing the ball bounce of Rooney non-stop makes me think how on Earth can a professional footballer have such a low floor in terms of form and performance.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not even watching Wayne Rooney in his current form?
I was never a big fan of the hype surrounding British talent and that includes Rooney. I was massacred in here when I merely suggested that maybe we better wait for the WC before we spend crazy money on a 17 year old who scored a great goal against Arsenal and I couldn't hide my sneers at the white Pele praises which I considered totally ridiculous. In my opinion Rooney was a great player but he never actually reached the heights of the top strikers (Ibra, RVN, RVP etc) let alone Ronaldo and Messi.

Having said that, to say that the midfield whose more renowned for his elbows and his hair than his foot work would be a better option than Rooney upfront is frigging crazy.

Roboc7

We are missing a striker not fellaini, nonsense to try and imply the lack of creativity is due to him not playing other than in a handful of games last year we had exactly the same problem whether fellaini was playing or not.

He does give us a different option but we also lose a lot by playing him there and resort back to crossing and playing percentage football. It ca work well but it is also easy to stop which is exactly what happened once teams figured us out and at end of the season we looked worse than ever trying to play like that.

If we do end up with him playing with him as the focal point in the midfield, inverted wingers, fullbacks overlapping and crossing being the focus of out attack it will mean ironically LVg will have turned us into a similar version of moyes' Everton.

Walters_19_MuFc

Really, the same midfield which helped us score a sum total of zero goals for 3-4 matches after the City match? That midfield and our wide players were one of the reasons for our pedestrian performances last season and you want us to revert to that, just so Fellaini can come back into this squad. Are you having a laugh?
I think it's you that's having a laugh if you can't remember Carrick getting injured against City, meaning, no, we didn't have the same midfield after the City match. Carrick was, and still is, a major part to how we played when we went through that good spell last season.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
A proper striker and a creative, pacey winger is what we lack.

Our current crop of midfielders are all superior to Fellaini.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Him appearing as a striker might be coming faster than any of us expected. That could free up Rooney somewhat.

Already said before that he has the tools for it:
  • 8 goals in last 13 matches for club and country. That's form 99.9% of strikers would be praised for.
  • An absolute menace of a man to defend against.
  • Can dominate all DM's not called Matic on outlet balls.
  • Makes Ashley Young twice the player offensively (great high crosses, poor low ones).
  • Can give space and knock ons to any combination of Memphis, Januzaj, Rooney, Mata, Herrera, Young and whoever is around him to work well in.
  • Can create a defensive 4-6-0 when needed.
  • Built for flat track bullying as a starter and game chasing sub.

Last edited:

izzydiggler

Jesus, I've seen it all now - people actually pining for Fellaini to lead our attack.

We need an Aguerro, Ronaldo etc...someone with talent, who can do things out of the ordinary. I don't want to hate on Fellaini because he can be affective in the right situation but he's not even close to being the answer.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Jesus, I've seen it all now - people actually pining for Fellaini to lead our attack.

We need an Aguerro, Ronaldo etc...someone with talent, who can do things out of the ordinary. I don't want to hate on Fellaini because he can be affective in the right situation but he's not even close to being the answer.
Far from saying it's perfect but just being practical about it all as...

a) We're not getting Aguero, Ronaldo or anyone like that this season. We're stuck with Pub Rooney and backups as it stands. And no guarantee we'll be buying another striker, yet.
b) LVG loves a converted player position
c) He has the tools for a defensive striker role.

Siorac

@Walrus, you're fast becoming the new Mad Winger.

We don't miss Fellaini, we miss having an actual quality striker up front. Which Rooney hasn't been in these first two games. He might still become one again. But if he doesn't, the answer sure as hell isn't Fellaini.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Him appearing as a striker might be coming faster than any of us expected. That could free up Rooney somewhat.

Already said before that he has the tools for it:
  • 8 goals in last 13 matches for club and country. That's form 99.9% of strikers would be praised for.
  • An absolute menace of a man to defend against.
  • Can dominate all DM's not called Matic on outlet balls.
  • Makes Ashley Young twice the player offensively (great high crosses, poor low ones).
  • Can give space and knock ons to any combination of Memphis, Januzaj, Rooney, Mata, Herrera, Young and whoever is around him to work well in.
  • Can create a defensive 4-6-0 when needed.
  • Built for flat track bullying as a starter and game chasing sub.
This sums up well what I was trying to say in the OP

@Walrus, you're fast becoming the new Mad Winger.

We don't miss Fellaini, we miss having an actual quality striker up front. Which Rooney hasn't been in these first two games. He might still become one again. But if he doesn't, the answer sure as hell isn't Fellaini.
I realise some of my opinions aren't popular, although it seems a lot of people have agreed with this thread (and what would be the point of an internet forum without differing opinions?).
But I will always try to back up and explain my reasoning - be it here or the "Giggs for manager" thread, which is more than a lot of people do.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Didn't read your full post but yea, we do miss him in a way. We clearly struggled to get hold of long balls when we attack. But then again, it is still early days and we are winning games so it's not that bad really.

mu77

lol , about him for rooney..................... wait a minute.