We need a fecking centre forward thread

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
We are 2 forwards away from having a good attack. We have to remember we are losing 2 forwards anyway in Greenwood and Ronaldo so they will have to be replaced.

Gakpo and Shick for me. Felix is class but he's not a centre forward, he's a second striker.

ROFLUTION

Limited use and / or interpretation of the stats here.

Osimhen has played 4,121 minutes in Serie A - the equivalent of 46 games. He's scored 28 goals, with 0 penalties. Those are elite goalscoring numbers.

His problem so far has been some bad luck with injuries, which is why his playing time has been relatively low.
Good with an elaboration but the point still stands - his output is not great. Imagine us signing him for 80m and him being injured as much as Martial

Red00012

I'm still mystified what happened to Macheda. He won the Young POTY award, scored a game-winner in his first appearance, scored the equalizer in his second senior appearance, and then disappeared.
Still only 31 and playing in the Turkish league , I feel old now

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm still mystified what happened to Macheda. He won the Young POTY award, scored a game-winner in his first appearance, scored the equalizer in his second senior appearance, and then disappeared.
I never saw anything great in him. Great impact of course but he always seemed too slow with the ball. Even the goal against Villa came after being dispossessed

BedStuyRed

We should be going all out for Vlahovic next summer, especially if Juve fail to qualify for the CL. He's exactly what we need and would score a hatful in this side.

croadyman

We should be going all out for Vlahovic next summer, especially if Juve fail to qualify for the CL. He's exactly what we need and would score a hatful in this side.
Be very surprised if he moves after only a year at the club but happy to be proved wrong

Primex

Why is Sesko in plan A. He’s only scored like 4 goals hasn’t he. Is he really progressing enough to warrant him being a replacement to Kane
Since Sancho first season,I used a grading system to rate player.
Skillset and technicalityphysicality and athleticismMentality
League.................................................
UCL/European comp.........................
National team.....................................
I then grade the player using eye test and fbref,and give it an overall score.If we want a complete center forward for the future.sesko is the one given he develops well.

Last edited:

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He might not be a quick fix but I would be looking at Simic from RB Salzburg (who came on late against Chelsea yesterday).
I have heard that his potential is considered to be very high and comparisons are made to a certain guy named Haaland when he joined the club some years ago.

Swordsman

We are 2 forwards away from having a good attack. We have to remember we are losing 2 forwards anyway in Greenwood and Ronaldo so they will have to be replaced.

Gakpo and Shick for me. Felix is class but he's not a centre forward, he's a second striker.
Is Gakpo centre forward ?

NoPace

Which ex-Utd CFs that weren't good enough would you want in our team now?

Forlan? Welbeck? Macheda?
Forlan was good enough, it just didn't happen for him at United. Might have put on the classiest performance by a player I've ever seen live, though I don't live in Europe so that list is basically just him, a young Di Maria, Valeron, Bale at Spurs and then Rooney, Evra, Rio, Giggs and Vidic in the 2010 Sunderland game. Anyways, Forlan was at Atletico and he was incredible, his left footed crosses and switches of play were as good as anyone's dominant foot. He'd walk into our current team up top, move the ball well and score from long range as he did regularly for Villareal and Atletico.

redcucumber

Be very surprised if he moves after only a year at the club but happy to be proved wrong
He joined in January 2022, so by next summer it'll have been 2 seasons effectively at Juventus. If they continue on their current trajectory, it's another flop. Wouldn't be surprised if he courts a move elsewhere.

P-O

Maybe I am biased because I am Canadian and follow a lot of Jonathan David, but he would be a really good option for United.

He can keep the ball, he can press, he moves well into the channel, he can beat the offside trap.

Moreover, playing him alongside 2 pacey winger/Inside Forward ala Antony, Rashford or Sancho gets the best of his skillset.

Is he the best option on the market? Clearly no, but he is young, wouldn't be that expensive and would fit better than Ronaldo or Martial in ETH's plan.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

lex talionis

Kane needs to move on if he is to ever lift a major trophy at the club level.

RedorDead21

Has to be our main focus next summer I imagine. Need to make sure we exceed expectations this season to have any hope of that. They might take Maguire as well if he gets into the WC team and shows his tournament form.

cyril C

I never saw anything great in him. Great impact of course but he always seemed too slow with the ball. Even the goal against Villa came after being dispossessed
Macheda is never pacy, so is more like a Mata without his skill, or MkHit / Kagawa / VDB but stop learning at 16. He has probably some talent in front of goal, but never bother to learn the rest of the game.

Nevertheless, he cost us closed to nothing, compared with MkHit / Kagawa / VDB

Stig

We had actually identified, recruited, nutured and developed and excellent young two footed once in a generation forward.

Unfortunately he's not available

So our lack of a striker is for once not totally the fault of the club.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Good with an elaboration but the point still stands - his output is not great. Imagine us signing him for 80m and him being injured as much as Martial
Seconded. Also if those are elite numbers, then how would the numbers of Aguero or Haaland be classified as?

lex talionis

Has to be our main focus next summer I imagine. Need to make sure we exceed expectations this season to have any hope of that. They might take Maguire as well if he gets into the WC team and shows his tournament form.
Agreed. Talk of Kane may seem ridiculous right now, but I don’t many others options out there that are anywhere close to his level. Yes of course we need to be mindful of cost and if took 100m plus 500k/week on a 5 year contract to bring in Harry we’d have to take a pass, but if we can manage the financial outlay we’re back to a football decision…and Harry Kane would be the most optimal addition to the squad that’s reasonably possible.

Alfie092

Agreed. Talk of Kane may seem ridiculous right now, but I don’t many others options out there that are anywhere close to his level. Yes of course we need to be mindful of cost and if took 100m plus 500k/week on a 5 year contract to bring in Harry we’d have to take a pass, but if we can manage the financial outlay we’re back to a football decision…and Harry Kane would be the most optimal addition to the squad that’s reasonably possible.
Come the summer he will have 12 months left on his contract, he will also have just turned 30 years old and is currently on a £200k/week wages.

With a year left on his contract, with him being 30 years old and such a loyal servant to Spurs, surely he should be able to go for no more than £80m? If we can get him for around that price and a 4 year, £300k/week contract I think it would be a good deal for all parties. If he stays injury free, we can still squeeze the last couple of world-class years out of him and Spurs get decent money for a player who has spent the majority of his career at but hasn't won any trophies at the club and I don't see Spurs winning any trophies anytime in the next couple of seasons even if Kane does stay.

Bojan Djordjic

What do you mean his output isn't great - he's scoring at a rate of a goal a game. What kind of output are you looking for? For me, he's by far the best option we could sign now.

You could say imagine signing anyone for 80mn and him being injured as much as Martial. That's a risk you take with every signing. Not as if his past injuries/illnesses signal injury proneness for the future. Freak broken cheekbone and a couple of bouts of Covid. Not exactly a constantly twanging hamstring or cruciate where you're worried it will keep happening.

Bojan Djordjic

Is nobody touting Kane worried about spending that much money on an injury prone player in his thirties? Personally think he's a modern PL great but wouldn't touch that transfer. I would much prefer sign a younger pre-prime player that will grow to peak with the team's peak rather than sign a "right now" player who will already be past it by the time we fire on all cylinders.

Bojan Djordjic

We had actually identified, recruited, nutured and developed and excellent young two footed once in a generation forward.

Unfortunately he's not available

So our lack of a striker is for once not totally the fault of the club.
People describing Greenwood as generational or "Once in a generation" really annoys me. Which generation is that? Haaland, Mbappe, Vini Jr are all around MG's age and are *miles* better. Even within England, Saka and Foden are two forwards that are significantly better. Greenwood has talent but he was very one dimensional, struggled to beat players in one v ones, didn't have the box movement required to be considered a 9 and he made awful shot decisions (albeit, his shooting was his one really high level attribute).

mu4c_20le

People describing Greenwood as generational or "Once in a generation" really annoys me. Which generation is that? Haaland, Mbappe, Vini Jr are all around MG's age and are *miles* better. Even within England, Saka and Foden are two forwards that are significantly better. Greenwood has talent but he was very one dimensional, struggled to beat players in one v ones, didn't have the box movement required to be considered a 9 and he made awful shot decisions (albeit, his shooting was his one really high level attribute).
Vinicius Jr is a great comparison, he was largely unimpressive until he exploded last season at 21. Most of us expected Mason to follow a similar trajectory, maybe not as dramatic, but certainly the same end result as he had the tools.

Last edited:

Strelok

He is a generational talent mate. You don't see that hip often. What a waste.

lex talionis

Come the summer he will have 12 months left on his contract, he will also have just turned 30 years old and is currently on a £200k/week wages.

With a year left on his contract, with him being 30 years old and such a loyal servant to Spurs, surely he should be able to go for no more than £80m? If we can get him for around that price and a 4 year, £300k/week contract I think it would be a good deal for all parties. If he stays injury free, we can still squeeze the last couple of world-class years out of him and Spurs get decent money for a player who has spent the majority of his career at but hasn't won any trophies at the club and I don't see Spurs winning any trophies anytime in the next couple of seasons even if Kane does stay.
That works for me. Harry does need to move on, probably staying in the PL so he can break the relevant individual scoring records. City is out of the question, surely Arsenal as well, probably Liverpool, probably Chelsea...so that leaves United, unless Newcastle put in a completely insane wage offer but I just can't see Harry going to Newcastle.

Which generation is that? Haaland, Mbappe, Vini Jr are all around MG's age and are *miles* better.
Can't be arsed with spending too much time defending the prick, but Mbappe is three years older than him, which is a massive difference (and all three of those guys are generational talents too). Saka is the same age and Greenwood comfortably outperformed him in their first two seasons at senior level - Vinicius Jr is a year older and until he exploded last season, again, Greenwood had been outperforming him (Vinicius pre-2021 was literally the poster child for "awful decisions")

Kag

This is rubbish. Greenwood is long gone, and the less said about him personally the better, but what he was doing in the first team for us at his age was remarkably good, especially when you consider the profile of the club and the difficulty it was in.

In a different world, he’d be starting up top for us every week by now.

Remember the geese

You're wrong. Not that it matters anymore.

pogbasformerbarber

I have to disagree here...Maybe one of the best I've ever seen at his age at using both feet. His one on one from the right side was lethal and I felt like his positioning was well above average (and would improve even more over time). Sad to say he showed all of the traits to be world class. Even in your post...Haaland is Haaland...hes incomparable to anyone at this point. Hes simply the best in the world IMHO. Mbappe and Vini Jr are better, but also play in much easier leagues for a CF. And he's 2 years younger than Mbappe...thats a fair difference at this point. I frankly don't agree that Foden and Saka are significantly better.

He also got better every year and clearly worked very hard. I, again sadly, feel like he would have been world class this year with Antony, Rashford, and Sancho as our wingers along and regular starts at CF...

To the point of the thread though I desperately want us to get Martinez from Inter this summer...Seeing how Martial has blossomed a bit with his link up capabilities, I think Martinez would go nuclear in ETH's system. His skillset is perfect and he's absolutely clinical as a finisher. Its a crime hes not here already...

Last edited:

CM

Is nobody touting Kane worried about spending that much money on an injury prone player in his thirties? Personally think he's a modern PL great but wouldn't touch that transfer. I would much prefer sign a younger pre-prime player that will grow to peak with the team's peak rather than sign a "right now" player who will already be past it by the time we fire on all cylinders.
What are the alternatives right now though? Outside of Haaland and Mbappe, who are both unattainable, more or less every young striker represents a gamble in some shape or form.

I think a deal for Kane likely depends on what Spurs ask for him and how badly he wants out. In terms of quality though, there aren't many who can touch him.

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s at a point where I’m beginning to think United fans like Saka more than Arsenal fans do.

El-Manos

Saka? Will you come off it :lol:

ROFLUTION

What do you mean his output isn't great - he's scoring at a rate of a goal a game. What kind of output are you looking for? For me, he's by far the best option we could sign now.

You could say imagine signing anyone for 80mn and him being injured as much as Martial. That's a risk you take with every signing. Not as if his past injuries/illnesses signal injury proneness for the future. Freak broken cheekbone and a couple of bouts of Covid. Not exactly a constantly twanging hamstring or cruciate where you're worried it will keep happening.
you can do as much pr 90 stats as you want. It wont matter if he doesnt play at least 30 games a season in the league - therefore the output isnt great if you dont play enough time. Its a Simple concept - dont buy another Martial.

and why is the current injuries not a signal for the future? If you said the same about Martial 3 years ago and worried about him getting future injuries, you’d be right.

With Messi, Kane, Ronaldo, Lewandowski etc they are great at avoiding injuries. It is actually a skill to avoid these tackles/injuries by falling correctly, dodging bad tackles, avoiding certain duels, not just down to bad luck

and you’re nitpicking his injuries - you didnt mention meniscual injury, calf injury, shoulder injury x 3, calf strain, muscular problems

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Watching Maguire at CF, I'm thinking ETH definitely wanted one of those physical centre-forwards we were linked with during the summer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah. I don't know about stupid words like generational but he was an incredible talent. Would have him over Foden and Saka anyday.

He only made some bad decisions towards the end. And Ronaldo fans also made a meal of him not passing to their guy. Before that season his decision making was very good.

peridigm

Things we've seen since SAF retired.
Phil Jones on corners.
Ashley Young as a CF. Not too far fetched I guess.
Harry Maguire as CF.

cyberman

Watching Maguire at CF, I'm thinking ETH definitely wanted one of those physical centre-forwards we were linked with during the summer.
Yep. You can tell this isn’t his squad because the squad isn’t filled out with what he needs just yet. You can’t rest any of our starting 11 and not have to change how we play or change one cog in the machine

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Of course he did. We wanted Arnautovic ffs!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of course he did. We wanted Arnautovic ffs!
And were strongly linked with Nunez and Sesko.

In the context of this thread, all of that should give us a clear idea of the type of CF we're likely to target.