We should replace Pogba with a DM

hobbers

We’ve already blown 135m on a technically limited english right back and above average english centreback. However you cut it that money could have been spent much better. We dont need to add another 80m for Rice, the next Eric Dier, do we?

There are literally dozens of better options and even the biggest of those names will be cheaper than Rice.

RedCurry

CDM is not a star position, we should not be suckered into spending a star signing type of money for it.

croadyman

I agree with this! Bruno and Donny should be OK for the offensive parts of our midfield.

Use this money to buy the best CDM we can find. Not a youth project like Camavinga, someone aged around 24/ Who is that @Samid?
If only Utd were thinking in the same way but chances are we lose him in Jan but won't get a decent CDM until the summer

croadyman

I think this is the right move to go for DM with Pogba money. We are fine in defense and attack until summer, and with a top DM we have many, many options in midfield.
Still need a leader at CB as well,doesn't have to necessarily be left sided

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole would probably go for Grealish. He's the player he wants. I'd probably go for something different though. In my opinion midfield need a real revamp and Pogba shouldn't be the only player leaving. Fred and McChampionship are clearly not good enough.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rice is a CB in midfield and the one at Leeds is shite. Pings a lovely long ball but what else does he do? Bissouma as well is never a DM, he's an ok box to box player.

In England the only decent DMs / DLPs I can think of who might be available are Luiz at Villa (needs to impose himself more though) and Romeu (29, not exactly in the first flush). Tielemans is a bit soft and would cost too much, also prefers playing further forward.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
In what world is Rice a baller ? As for for Ward Prowse or Phillips? People really want to replace Pogba with either of them?

Madness why don't we just swap him for Jagielka and a packet of crisps?
Both would be better for our team. Rice and WP would do a pretty good job here I reckon. Neves too. Fred and Bruno would thrive.

I can’t see Pogbas stock being that high presently.

Do we really need and out and out DM though?
I think we do mate yes. We’ve got Bruno and VdB as attacking MF and although they can both tackle, Fred and McT are both box to boxers. A DF would cement our midfield.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole would probably go for Grealish. He's the player he wants. I'd probably go for something different though. In my opinion midfield need a real revamp and Pogba shouldn't be the only player leaving. Fred and McChampionship are clearly not good enough.
Wouldn't mind if we go for Grealish. He'd cost a fortune though and I don't see us getting him but I can see how that will work.

Cavani
Grealish Bruno Rashford
Fred Scott/VDB​

Strelok

I'd love to have Rice or Ward Prowse. But they'd be very expensive. English tax, United tax and all. I watched Neves a few times and tbh apart from a very few long shot I was not impressed.

@SportingCP96 how about that kid Florentino Luis? I heard he's pretty solid.

HowYouDoin

How about Soucek from West Ham?
Defensive midfielders are very unspectacular yet like someone said they can transform a team.

Maybe we should take a punt at 2 defensive midfielders same way we signed Pellestri and Diallo.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
How about Soucek from West Ham?
Defensive midfielders are very unspectacular yet like someone said they can transform a team.

Maybe we should take a punt at 2 defensive midfielders same way we signed Pellestri and Diallo.
Maybe Soucek could work but I’d prefer Rice or WP and I’d rather us not take a punt on an unproven uoungster, I think for this position we need a ready made player, good to go from the outset.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Wouldn't mind if we go for Grealish. He'd cost a fortune though and I don't see us getting him but I can see how that will work.

Cavani
Grealish Bruno Rashford
Fred Scott/VDB​

Teams tend to play a very defensive style of football against us only to hit us on the break. Pogba is a liability because he's not able to defend + he dilly dally with the ball too much. However he's not the only unsuitable CM we've got. Matic is basically an anchor player in front of defence. He provides nothing in the attacking part of the game. Same can be said about Fred and McT. If you use a dragon ball like fusion with the pair of them you'll probably get a Robbie Savage with the difference that Robbie had 23 assists in the EPL while Fred/McT has the astounding record of 2 assists (and that's combined stats btw). To put things into perspective AWB (defensive fullback and all) have 7 assists, Tom Cleverley have 13 assists and Philip Neville has 25 assists.

We should have a multifunctional midfield base with 2 midfielders who can both defend and attack. That's what Sir Alex had with Carrick and Scholes whose combined assist rate is an astounding 95 assist. That's around 93 more assists to Fred and McT.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
We’ve already blown 135m on a technically limited english right back and above average english centreback. However you cut it that money could have been spent much better. We dont need to add another 80m for Rice, the next Eric Dier, do we?

There are literally dozens of better options and even the biggest of those names will be cheaper than Rice.
Agreed. Rice is decent, but not top level and we would be mad to spend 80 million on him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think it is important to not make the mistake we made signing Pogba for his excessive fee. If we could get Rice for 40 million, no bother. Not 80 million though.

We should really be looking at someone for around the 40 million mark. No doubt the club will have targets.
And most importantly a player who wants to be here and is focused to improve as a player. Finding another Bruno is very tough but it should serve as a template for the type of players we need to look at.

Toad

I think we should retire his number so we can forget about him easier.

HowYouDoin

Maybe Soucek could work but I’d prefer Rice or WP and I’d rather us not take a punt on an unproven uoungster, I think for this position we need a ready made player, good to go from the outset.
Soucek has been impressive this season.
Everyone will go after Rice but Rice will be costly.
Soucek could be far more attainable.

gajender

Spend his wages on Alaba and his transfer fee on Zakaria.
Alaba isn't an elite CB nor he is good enough in Midfield, he used to be great Lb but hasn't been regularly playing there it would be colossal waste of wages unfortunately ,hopefully we steer clear .
Zakaria could be a option if he shows he hasn't lost much due to his long term injury.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not just a pure DM please unless we are going to play 4-3-3 regularly.

We need a midfielder who is comfortable at receiving the ball and building up play more than a tackler. We need a Carrick to dictate and get the ball forwards, but be able to retain it when pressed.

Obviously being defensively sound is also important.

HowYouDoin

Marcelo Brozovic from Inter is one of the best in the world at it these days. Arguably the best.
Would cost 70+ million though.

saivet

We need a DM with or without Pogba. If we replace Pogba with a DM we will also need to upgrade on Fred/McT.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not just a pure DM please unless we are going to play 4-3-3 regularly.

We need a midfielder who is comfortable at receiving the ball and building up play more than a tackler. We need a Carrick to dictate and get the ball forwards, but be able to retain it when pressed.

Obviously being defensively sound is also important.
Agreed I also think this is what Ole will be after given he tried to turn Pogba to a deep lying playmaker

The Urban Goose

We should replace Pogba with a DM? Agreed. And that's not limited to a defensive mid either, here are some other DMs I'd swap Pogba for:

a dirty Mitsubishi
a pair of Dr Martin's
a DM from Monica Bellucci
Hell, even a DM from Piers Morgan
a disappointed mollusc
a dental molestation
a decrepit Michael (not bothered which Michael)

You get the idea...

UpWithRivers

Alaba isn't an elite CB nor he is good enough in Midfield, he used to be great Lb but hasn't been regularly playing there it would be colossal waste of wages unfortunately ,hopefully we steer clear .
Zakaria could be a option if he shows he hasn't lost much due to his long term injury.
Alaba doesnt match the defensive stats of Van Dijk agreed. But he beats all with his offensive stats. Plus he's fast. He's left footed. He can play in a number of positions (3 players in1), he's a leader and a winner which we have been crying out for and he is available and free. Leaves us cash to spend in other areas. I dont think any top club will turn him down. Whats the worst that can happen. We have a player on high wages? Oh we wouldn't want that!

Smores

My only real ask is we don't chase profile/marketability over how good of a fit a player is. It doesn't need to be a world class signing just someone who will reliably do the job.

Strelok

Tbh I don't think we'd buy anyone this Jan than Diallo. Covid time and we're looking likely to make top 4. Very small chance that Ed and the Glazers would agree to splash the cash out I think. Regardless of we sell Pogba or not.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think we need a Thiago, more than we need a Rice type of player. Fred/McTominay can be the most defensive, while the other one is pushing forward.

Manuel Locatelli looks like a great developing player. Defensively sound, creative, have a drive with the ball etc. Not sure how attractive we are to Italian footballlers though.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
James Ward Prowse maybe.

Rice would cost about 70/80 million and he is not worth that.

That Philips guy from Leeds as well.
If we’re getting any Southampton player, in the context of this thread it should be Romeu.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think we need a Thiago, more than we need a Rice type of player. Fred/McTominay can be the most defensive, while the other one is pushing forward.

Manuel Locatelli looks like a great developing player. Defensively sound, creative, have a drive with the ball etc. Not sure how attractive we are to Italian footballlers though.
Good shout. I think we should be looking for a hybrid of Mctominay and Pogba - Tall, mobile, tenacious, creative, press resistant. Locatelli seems the closest to have all that in his locker

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Do we really need and out and out DM though? We got Fred, McTomminay and Matic who are more defensive minded midfielders

Our best midfield performance this season came vs Istanbul when Fred and VdB played in the deep role with Bruno ahead of them. Now Istanbul are hardly the best team in the world, but in that match we saw the value of having someone who can pass and move.

Ole wants us to play out from the back, like it or not, thats how we play now. Its absolutely critical that we have someone in midfield who can help out our CB's and create the passing links that lets us transition from defense to attack in a decent manner. Its a reason why Herrera was such a big miss for Ole and the stats with and without him was bonkers. 89% win rate with him which dropped to 50% without him.

I'd say we need another Herrera type of player
Debatable about our best performance in midfield. The game against Everton & away PSG I thought our midfield were superb and showed best performance. End of the day, you want to build your team and your midfield around Bruno because that’s the key factor for us to win the league again.