We should replace Pogba with a DM

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yh but they were relegated and desperate for money no? I'm sure the player might be open to it - he's only 25 so wouldn't have really known the rivalry but Leeds' fans would revolt.
They were relegated & going bankrupt. Leeds are one of the reasons why we have parachute payments now. Totally different situation. They’d double his price because we’re Manchester United. They’d ask for ridiculously unrealistic money.

As mentioned above, Berge could be a decent bit of business. Similar to Spurs getting Hojberg.
Cantona, Rio, Smith. We've sent them some loan products over the years too. I doubt there's much bad blood between the clubs. Fans revolt is easy to work around, just like with Smith they'd have a readymade excuse this time too (covid has hit us hard, we had to sell, they offered the most money etc).

James has also been linked with them in recent months so we could add him in as a sweetener.

Raveneye

Agreed, a dedicated DM is the one area where Manchester United have no prospect of filling with academy products or existing squad players. Mason Greenwood may grow into a world class striker. Diallo and Pellistri may grow into world class wingers. Tuanzebe and Mengi may grow into class centerbacks to partner McGuire. But there is no one who looks remotely close to replacing the aging Matic (sorry McTominay). Every other position has plenty of talent already. The DM issue will be solved with money or not at all.

One of the best ways to stifle Manchester United's attack is to harry our double pivot to prevent them from passing the ball to Bruno. AWB is horrible in the build up, leaving only Telles as a predictable option. Bruno gets frustrated and moves back to help with build up play more, which he's great at,, but then there's nobody in front of him to feed because he's the no. 10 and he's just taken himself out of the picture. Cavani helps solve this problem with his amazing off the ball movement to help link up play, but the guy is old and vulnerable to injury. He's a world class stopgap who cannot be relied upon to play every game. A reliable DM with a good progressive pass in him will allow Fred and Bruno to concentrate on their own strengths more.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'd imagine our shortlist has gotten thinner with Tonali and Partey moving. Camavinga should be our first target, genuinely insanely talented, ridiculously young and would provide cover all over the field as well. Ben Godfrey looks like he could be very good as a 6, he's been impressive this season at Everton.

Other options I'd say we're watching are Florentino Luis from Benfica, Manuel Locatelli from Sassuolo, and Amadou Diawara from Roma.

eltigreFalcao

A world class CDM alongside Fred / McT, VDB / Bruno is actually the perfect compliment.

don’t want Camavinga as he won’t deliver for 3 or more years. And we have Garner as a top youth prospect back from loan next season. I’d rather get someone aged around 24, who can step in immediately enhance the quality of the 1st XI.
Camavinga would stem in and enhace the quality of even better teams than us, hes the prospect of the decade

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm with the lads who say Ruben Neves. Just look at his stats. He's basically a Portuguese Carrick.

Failing that I do like the look of Philips (and Leeds are our feeder club after all!)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Agreed, a dedicated DM is the one area where Manchester United have no prospect of filling with academy products or existing squad players. Mason Greenwood may grow into a world class striker. Diallo and Pellistri may grow into world class wingers. Tuanzebe and Mengi may grow into class centerbacks to partner McGuire. But there is no one who looks remotely close to replacing the aging Matic (sorry McTominay). Every other position has plenty of talent already. The DM issue will be solved with money or not at all.

One of the best ways to stifle Manchester United's attack is to harry our double pivot to prevent them from passing the ball to Bruno. AWB is horrible in the build up, leaving only Telles as a predictable option. Bruno gets frustrated and moves back to help with build up play more, which he's great at,, but then there's nobody in front of him to feed because he's the no. 10 and he's just taken himself out of the picture. Cavani helps solve this problem with his amazing off the ball movement to help link up play, but the guy is old and vulnerable to injury. He's a world class stopgap who cannot be relied upon to play every game. A reliable DM with a good progressive pass in him will allow Fred and Bruno to concentrate on their own strengths more.
What about James Garner? I thought he looked very promising in the youth and few first XI games I saw. Will be back next season with a whole load more game experience.

I do agree that we need to also buy a developed DM too that Garner can be back up option for

Chairman Steve

Can you de-age Matic by 7-8 years? I feel we’d have the best DMC option there if science was advanced enough.

Crashoutcassius

Agree but we need someone hungry that wants to play for United. Grealish would be a good signing but simply not a double pivot option.

I don't know who is though. There are lots of good options but all seem to come with risk.

My fave play maker is Luis Alberto at lazio, hardly a young hungry option but a class ball player and at 28 his days being chased by real Madrid are gone. Not a defensive mid but unlikely pogba might be effective enough to make it worthwhile

Raveneye

What about James Garner? I thought he looked very promising in the youth and few first XI games I saw. Will be back next season with a whole load more game experience.

I do agree that we need to also buy a developed DM too that Garner can be back up option for
Garner might eventually work (comparisons to Carrick are encouraging) but we agree that he's too young right now to be the sole DM option. Whereas we have Lindelof to fall back on in defense and plenty of strikers, there would be immense pressure for Garner to perform week in week out because there's no other person in the squad specialized in his position.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Someone like Neves or Rice would fit our system more than a like for like replacement.

Obviously we’re not gonna be able to get them in Jan, long term options though.
I feel that Rice is too limited on the ball and Neves is just all round average (although haven't seen him for awhile now).

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One that can actually break defences with passes though, not sure if such player exists in the market. If only we had peak Carrick.
Neves is quite similar to Carrick. Very good passer, not quite Carrick level, but he makes up for that with his potential to hit a thundercnut in from 30 yards.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I agree. We need a DM and not a false second striker, pseudo left winger midfielder who cannot defend anything other than his brand and images.

HowYouDoin

Theres gotta be someone in France or a team like Brighton, Fulham whatever. Its hardly a spectacular position, DM's were always underrated, never appreciated going back to Makalele, Carrick etc.
But theres gotta be a very unspectacular signing like that waiting for us somewhere that will just work.

Whatever happened to Sean Longstaff? He was actually pretty decent every time I watched him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Agreed. A solid defensive midfield would compliment VDB and Bruno fantastically well.

Honestly, the way Rice has been playing this season, I'd snap him up in a heartbeat. Only for a realistic fee though. Otherwise, I like the look of Zakaria - although I haven't seen how he's been post injury.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
A world class CDM alongside Fred / McT, VDB / Bruno is actually the perfect compliment.

don’t want Camavinga as he won’t deliver for 3 or more years. And we have Garner as a top youth prospect back from loan next season. I’d rather get someone aged around 24, who can step in immediately enhance the quality of the 1st XI.
Kimmich is 25, he would be a fantastic signing if it was even remotely possibe to prise him away from Bayern.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Alan Smith was also a Leeds boy.
I love Alan Smith. Leeds guy, but he gave his all for United. Unlike a certain French midfielder who likes to pretend he's a United guy.

NoPace

Agree but we need someone hungry that wants to play for United. Grealish would be a good signing but simply not a double pivot option.

I don't know who is though. There are lots of good options but all seem to come with risk.

My fave play maker is Luis Alberto at lazio, hardly a young hungry option but a class ball player and at 28 his days being chased by real Madrid are gone. Not a defensive mid but unlikely pogba might be effective enough to make it worthwhile
Luis Alberto only makes sense if Bruno leaves god forbid or gets hurt.

NoPace

---------------------Bruno(VDB)----------
Passing DM (McTominay)-Fred(VDB)

Seems the way we should go. 5 for 3 spots is fine, though we'd probably want someone like Garner back as a 6th for depth, even though realistically we'd just play 4-4-2 or 3-4-2-1 more if we had an injury crisis since we have good depth for those rules (or will at CB once one of Tuanzebe or Mengi establishes himself).

Neuhaus and Kalvin Phillips are the first 2 names that come to mind as being likely to move to a massive club but not at one yet. We should have signed Fabinho he'd start at DM, CB or maybe he would even have been our RB and we'd have spent the 40M on Wan-Bissaka elsewhere (he was good there at Monaco). Haven't seen almost any of Soumare or Locatelli but they have the hype to suggest big moves. Tyler Adams is more of a short passer so maybe not ideal but Americans often want to play in the Prem and he has a lot of really strong qualities. People seem to rate Laimer but I don't know what his final position will be. Kamara and Zakaria seem like possibilities. Gravenberch I've only seen as an 8 so far but obviously a huge talent.

Any chance Barca takes Martial + Pogba for De Jong? They could stop playing Brathwaite and would have a midfielder to do what Rakitic did for them and provide some athleticism and size and a goal threat while still linking play well, which they don't really have now with just Coutinho, Messi and Griezmann types to play as a 10 sort of type.

meamth

Sammsky and Samid. Save yourselves some time and just admit your feelings for each other!
I’m starting to think you’re the same person with Bi-Polar disorder
Creating two redcafe accounts and get promotion to full member?

Has to admire the effort.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Remember that we did extend our contract together and he has been firing lately. He's an important part of
He was a part of our very good team just last season with Fernandes when we were a referee decision away from coming out with a decent trophy. With

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McT Fred
Mata Bruno Rashford
Martial

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles
Matic
Fred VDB
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford
That was our 4231 line up against Everton and 442 diamond against Southampton. And to me, that’s should be the midfield template to get the best out of Bruno which the main player you want to build your team around. We don’t need Pogba, upgrade McT or Matic with top class DM and Mata with another wide creative player to help Bruno, we are good to go.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think this is the right move to go for DM with Pogba money. We are fine in defense and attack until summer, and with a top DM we have many, many options in midfield.
I agree. We have Bruno and VDB as AM. And we also have talented youngster like Mejbri, who could be ready for 1st team action in 2 years time.

But we don’t have good DM. Matic is old and slow, Fred and Mctominay need to play together to work, which will waste a spot for creative midfielder.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
From what I watch although I don’t watch Borussia Mönchengladbach regularly, Zakaria is really the most suitable one to replace Pogba and to be part of midfield to get the best out of Bruno. He’s very similar to Partey imo.

He has few similar assets to Pogba that we won’t miss Pogba if we get Zakaria because both are physical gifted, has good height to win header, can score long shot, mobile and can dribble to drive the ball forward. The main difference is that Zakaria is much better defensively and work rate which what we need more right now while Pogba is suspect defensively but much better in passing which what we need less.

Web of Bissaka

Maybe we should try to get RW instead?

2nd priority is CB, then CF and after that, attacking RB.

I still don't think DM is the top most priority.
We're not playing with solo DM system and I'm confident Ole will persist with 2 CDMs of which we have enough (4 players for that 2 slots not including Pogba).

Of course, if a quality DM suddenly available, then by all means.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd like to also see more of Bruno-Fred-VdB as that could be an option. I feel like that midfield could work when they play more frequently. Then get Calhanoglu on a free and use the Pogba money for a CB

dal

Grealish replaces Pogba
Phillips replaces Matic
Haaland replaces Cavani.

Manutd replace city and Liverpool. Feckers.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Do we really need and out and out DM though? We got Fred, McTomminay and Matic who are more defensive minded midfielders

Our best midfield performance this season came vs Istanbul when Fred and VdB played in the deep role with Bruno ahead of them. Now Istanbul are hardly the best team in the world, but in that match we saw the value of having someone who can pass and move.

Ole wants us to play out from the back, like it or not, thats how we play now. Its absolutely critical that we have someone in midfield who can help out our CB's and create the passing links that lets us transition from defense to attack in a decent manner. Its a reason why Herrera was such a big miss for Ole and the stats with and without him was bonkers. 89% win rate with him which dropped to 50% without him.

I'd say we need another Herrera type of player