Weekend Football

England1966

Cuckoo
I look positively after the CCFinal...at least for the next Europa League season England has a good team not Birmingham, Stoke or Ugly Harry using his second team...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Wasn't sure what to make of the Carling Cup final. Neither team really did anything. Cardiff just sort of tried hard, and Liverpool were, well...there. It all seemed a bit pointless. The important thing is that Suarez didn't score and then wimped out of taking a penalty. Although if he had've taken one or scored I might have been able to get angry and actually care about the game.

I did like how Jamie Carragher came on and instantly looked more tired than everyone else on the pitch...and then attempted to score a try. Age catches up to us all.

Also, does anyone know why Alan Parry invented the word "chermulteorus" to describe how noisy the crowd were? Why not just say "it's quite noisy here"? I'm fed up with commentators blatantly abusing their power to make up new words that the rest of us couldn't do without being branded as illiterate Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime. Plus he'd clearly had a bet with someone over how many times he could fit the word "cleverly" into one session of commentary. He even started going on about boxing at one point just so he could say it several more times in reference to Nathan Cleverly. Shut up Alan.

The Arsenal vs Spurs game was great. Spurs were completely pummelled for the entire 90 minutes. Even at 2-0, it wasn't even one of those Arsenal games where they control the ball but you know they're going to cock up when they don't have it, it was simply "how the feck are Arsenal not the ones who are 2 goals up?"...and then suddenly they were, all in the time it took Redknapp to throw a hissy fit because someone in the crowd waved a tax form at him, or something.

Spurs really are the most overated team I can remember. They're good, but they're not actually that good, and even if they were that good, it still wouldn't be nearly as god as the media think they are. They're in 3rd by virtue of Chelsea and Arsenal underachieving hugely. Teams as good as Spurs are supposed to be, don't get pasted in the way they did today by anyone who isn't Barcelona, ever...and it was only fecking Arsenal...AND it's not even the first time this season. They were trounced by City, they should have gone down by four or five at Old Trafford. Plus they chocked at the Etihad and Anfield recently. Where is this backbone they've apparently grown? Basically whenever it's mattered, they've fecked it up.

I'd like to single out Scott Parker too. I still don't "get" him. I mean, he's good at what he does, but almost nothing he does actually has anything to do with being a good midfielder. It's all daft tackles, running around behind the play and generally scrapping around. He's basically a good version of whatever Gareth Barry is, but whatever Gareth Barry is, isn't really all that great.

I mean I don't think Modric is as good as everyone seems to think either. He either disappears or starts piffing around with the ball too much when Spurs are up against the top sides...but at least it's possible to see why people reckon he's amazing. He's clearly a very good footballer. Parker I just don't really get full stop. He's nailed on to play every England game for the next 5 years, while everyone confuses themselves over how England's midfield gets found out by any side who don't collect their starting 11 from the local pub five minutes before the game.

Plan M

Modric is a fine player and Parker has been very good for Spurs this season.

Arsenal were the better side today though, by some distance.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Thursday nights on Channel 5...oh wait :(
:lol: Haven't been on that channel for a while, you lot will know...its still on Sky 105 right? :angel:

Ah, this thread is gold dust. The swinging of emotions was brilliant to read after an evening of celebration.

Dalglish now the 7th manager to have won all available trophies in England. BUT the first man to win all trophies as a player and then as a manager! :cool:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Congratulations on winning the Carpet Cup or whatever it's called this year.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Wasn't sure what to make of the Carling Cup final. Neither team really did anything. Cardiff just sort of tried hard, and Liverpool were, well...there. It all seemed a bit pointless. The important thing is that Suarez didn't score and then wimped out of taking a penalty. Although if he had've taken one or scored I might have been able to get angry and actually care about the game.

I did like how Jamie Carragher came on and instantly looked more tired than everyone else on the pitch...and then attempted to score a try. Age catches up to us all.

Also, does anyone know why Alan Parry invented the word "chermulteorus" to describe how noisy the crowd were? Why not just say "it's quite noisy here"? I'm fed up with commentators blatantly abusing their power to make up new words that the rest of us couldn't do without being branded as illiterate Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime. Plus he'd clearly had a bet with someone over how many times he could fit the word "cleverly" into one session of commentary. He even started going on about boxing at one point just so he could say it several more times in reference to Nathan Cleverly. Shut up Alan.

The Arsenal vs Spurs game was great. Spurs were completely pummelled for the entire 90 minutes. Even at 2-0, it wasn't even one of those Arsenal games where they control the ball but you know they're going to cock up when they don't have it, it was simply "how the feck are Arsenal not the ones who are 2 goals up?"...and then suddenly they were, all in the time it took Redknapp to throw a hissy fit because someone in the crowd waved a tax form at him, or something.

Spurs really are the most overated team I can remember. They're good, but they're not actually that good, and even if they were that good, it still wouldn't be nearly as god as the media think they are. They're in 3rd by virtue of Chelsea and Arsenal underachieving hugely. Teams as good as Spurs are supposed to be, don't get pasted in the way they did today by anyone who isn't Barcelona, ever...and it was only fecking Arsenal...AND it's not even the first time this season. They were trounced by City, they should have gone down by four or five at Old Trafford. Plus they chocked at the Etihad and Anfield recently. Where is this backbone they've apparently grown? Basically whenever it's mattered, they've fecked it up.

I'd like to single out Scott Parker too. I still don't "get" him. I mean, he's good at what he does, but almost nothing he does actually has anything to do with being a good midfielder. It's all daft tackles, running around behind the play and generally scrapping around. He's basically a good version of whatever Gareth Barry is, but whatever Gareth Barry is, isn't really all that great.

I mean I don't think Modric is as good as everyone seems to think either. He either disappears or starts piffing around with the ball too much when Spurs are up against the top sides...but at least it's possible to see why people reckon he's amazing. He's clearly a very good footballer. Parker I just don't really get full stop. He's nailed on to play every England game for the next 5 years, while everyone confuses themselves over how England's midfield gets found out by any side who don't collect their starting 11 from the local pub five minutes before the game.
TBH i often find your posts borderline annoying, but agreed with near on every word of this, and even chuckled a tad.

Good post.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Just want to apologise to Arsenal fans for pissing on your parade. A brilliant 5-2 comeback and all we can do is remind you of a lost simple glassy object. :(

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Just want to apologise to Arsenal fans for pissing on your parade. A brilliant 5-2 comeback and all we can do is remind you of a lost simple glassy object. :(
Debating in my head whether i'd rather beat City 5-2 or win the Carling Cup against a team other than City or Liverpool.

Not an easy answer.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Debating in my head whether i'd rather beat City 5-2 or win the Carling Cup against a team other than City or Liverpool.

Not an easy answer.
Good point. Would I take back the 4-1 and 'that' Dossena chip we had against you for a bit of silverware. Like f*ck I would, keep the cup that's what its all about isn't it. :houllier:

Ludens the Red

:smirk:

Liam147

On Probation

Not an easy answer.
If we could beat City 5-2, after going 2-0 down, I'd be celebrating that so much more than a Carling Cup win. I'd take the three points, but, if we'd gone as long as they had without so much as a cup final appearance my answer might be different.

Also, I doubt anyone will agree with me, but I think Ledley King is overrated. Partly because he only plays now and then, so everyone loves saying how good he would've been - The Hargreaves Effect. Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad defender, but he's not very mobile, his best asset seems to be his presence, other players seem to do better when he's around. But conceding five to Arsenal isn't good enough. He was at fault for Rosicky's goal by not staying with him, and he made a similar mistake against Chelsea. I'd like someone to show me some examples of this class ability of his.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Does conceding 6 to Man City make Ferdinand poor? I don't think anyone would be silly enough to call him one of the best defenders in the world now, with the injuries he's had. And its not particularly surprising that he's not all that mobile anymore, he has no knees. He has little business walking around, let alone running around in the premier league.

Liam147

On Probation
Does conceding 6 to Man City make Ferdinand poor? I don't think anyone would be silly enough to call him one of the best defenders in the world now, with the injuries he's had. And its not particularly surprising that he's not all that mobile anymore, he has no knees. He has little business walking around, let alone running around in the premier league.
No, but he had a terrible game. Besides, I wouldn't say he's as highly rated as King amongst neutrals. Pundits and United fans seem to be the only people recognising Ferdinand's ability these days, with everyone else saying he's 'past it'. I've just never seen enough of King to say 'yeah, he's a brilliant defender', yet everyone else seems to have.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That's utter rubbish to be fair, considering that for a long time, and especially since Vidic has come in, Ferdinand has been considered one of the best centrebacks in the world and part of England's 'golden generation' by most of the media and most fans who I've spoken to about it.

Liam147

On Probation
That's utter rubbish to be fair, considering that for a long time, and especially since Vidic has come in, Ferdinand has been considered one of the best centrebacks in the world and part of England's 'golden generation' by most of the media and most fans who I've spoken to about it.
Yes, he has, and at their respective peaks, there's no question who was the better player, I think all Spurs fans would even agree, but even at this stage of his career, I'd rather have Ferdinand than King. My point anyway is that I can't think of any other player who gets the same plaudits as someone who plays as few games as King.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't think its as obvious as you make it out, there is little difference between Campbell and King at their best for me, other then the lack of knees in one of them.

There's a reason King gets the plaudits he gets even now. The difference in results with and without him isn't a coincidence and to pin it on his 'presence', especially as he isn't a Keane like player in his drive or winning mentality, is a big cop out. His knees in a sick way have actually been a little bit of a blessing for us because it means that he was never going to be bought by anyone better.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Apparently we hadn't won our eleven previous games in which Mike Dean had officiated. Make of that what you will.

*shifty eyes*

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
There's a lack of Glaston Spur in this thread, I wonder why.
I've already commented on Arsenal's well-deserved win. Try scrolling back if you're that bothered about it.