Weird feelings of football

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
James Ward-Prowse is a good measuring stick for how the game has evolved because as recently as ten years ago he absolutely would have been bought by a bigger club with the manager saying he's worth it "for the free kicks alone".

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I've probably posted it before but Arsenal always seem to have games in hand.

All the way back to the 90s
Not only that, but whenever I check their fixtures, their upcoming game is always a home game against a random mid table team.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not only that, but whenever I check their fixtures, their upcoming game is always a home game against a random mid table team.
There are few strong teams in the league this year. Apart from Arsenal, there's City, United, Newcastle, Brighton and Brentford who can beat anybody on their day. I don't include Spurs because they look like a poor team that occasionally pulls off a big result.

I don't think Arsenal are facing any of the form teams in a row either.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Blackburn Rovers have never not had a player in their squad called Gallagher. Possibly every player they've ever had has been called Gallagher.

P0GBA

No goalkeeper has ever made a world class save in the pre match warm up.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool once had two managers at the same time: Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier

What were they thinking and has it ever been done before/since?
Joint manager arrangements were not usual in English football in the past but the practice has died out. Last one I can remember was Bryan Robson and Terry Venables at Middlesbrough circa about 2000ish. It was a disaster.

Edit: Here's a list of joint manager pairings. It lists the Robson/Venables pairing as an "awkward success" given they avoided the drop and finished 14th although I certainly remember reading about why it was "awkward". Robson certainly wasn't happy about it.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/footballs-managerial-pairings-deadly-duos-or-dead-water

There were a lot more of these when you go further into the past I'm sure.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Antonio Conte only wins the league when nobody is looking.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Dortmund and Bayern are always close in the league when they play. Bayern always smash them and fly up the table whereas Dortmund go into free fall. Seems like every season.

P0GBA

A referee will very rarely book or send send off player in the first 10 minutes of the game regardless of how bad the challenges are.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea haven't won all season and could realistically be on about 11 points.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Proper Mandela effect one here.

I could’ve sworn Michael Tarnat and Danny Tiatto were involved in a swap deal with eachother, possibly involving Man City and Blackburn. Just looked it up and not only did it never happen, the two were never even linked in any way. Why the feck have I spent 20 years telling myself this happened?

Chief123

We’ve had an excellent season so far.

Spurs have been terrible this season.

They are only 3 points behind us.:nervous:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Chelsea have lost pretty much every game since Christmas but still remain comfortable in the table.

Siorac

Matthijs de Ligt is Belgian and I have clear memories of him playing together with Tielemans, De Bruyne, Alderweireld, etc.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Metatarsal injuries only happen during an end of season run-in. No one breaks their metatarsal in September.
Remembering 2002 World Cup ruling out Gary Neville, Gerrard, Murphy, Kieran Dyer and nearly Beckham and it felt like all of them did their metatarsal even though it wasn’t that.

Although Rooney booked the trend doing it in the first game of 2007-08 against Reading

P0GBA

On any Saturday 3pm kickoff if Chelsea or Spurs are winning in the first half they will inevitably be losing in the second half. Likewise if the are losing in the first half they will be ahead in the second half.