Weird feelings of football

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
During the years 1986 - 1991 Norwich and Coventry played each other 648 times

Yorke to Cole

Streams always go to shit right before a goal is scored
I always think that. That happened for a United game against Arsenal, just before Anthony scored the opening goal. The stream came back at the pint when they had celebrated and he patted the badge.

Another thing I always felt. The text commentary on Sky Sports, in particular, the writer will post an update stating something like "x team is really on top here" and "playing well" and then the opposing team score in the next update.

Another token example of this is, when a match is coming to a conclusion and the writer will post "looks like that is the last chance and we're heading for a draw" and then one of the teams scores a last gasp winner.

I am sure that happened with us versus West Ham last season at Old Trafford when Rashford scored in the last minute.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
With Arsenal being linked to Zaha, after signing Trossard in January, after being linked with Murdryk for the whole of the window to add to Saka, Martinelli, Smith Rowe and Nelson and having Pepe out on loan, I feel like Arsenal are always signing wide midfielders/wide forwards.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Millwall spends the entirety of every season in the playoff spots, only to drop out in the final day

J2J

A team in 14th feels more mid-table than a team in 8th despite 8th being objectively closer to the middle.

Impulse

Brighton have a new name on their bench who nobody has heard of every game.

Ole'sgunnarwin

The higher the quality of the match, the worse the commentators are. I was listening to the Non-league playoff final yesterday, so much passion. Phenomenal! Don't see that for Premier League matches.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool will have an historically shit season and still pox a place in the champions league.
I don't see how, United or Newcastle aren't going to slip up twice, Liverpool picked up form a couple of games too late, they are not getting UCL.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Real Madrid have dominated the CL for a decade while never winning a knockout tie convincingly.

In fact, they mostly look second best while knocking everyone out and winning finals.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
And has managed about 15 different PL clubs.
Yet weirdly in the 90’s, wasn’t one.

I mean, I know he was but it felt like he came into it in the late 00’s as someone who’d been abroad all the time.

Chief123

Zaha has been on the brink of leaving every summer for the last 10 years before ending the summer by signing a new contract with Palace.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Nobody else other than Darren Ferguson has managed Peterborough United since 2007, and never will.

Even when Darren Ferguson was managing Preston North End in 2010, he was also still managing Peterborough United.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Nobody else other than Darren Ferguson has managed Peterborough United since 2007, and never will.

Even when Darren Ferguson was managing Preston North End in 2010, he was also still managing Peterborough United.
He reminds me of that guy, that Scottish guy, managed a club for a long time. I can't remember his name.

Dansk

I have an irrational, almost violent aversion to that Hispanic/Latin-American thing where anytime a goal is scored, the commentator goes, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!"

It's just so cringeworthy to me. So weird, uncomfortable and hamfistedly theatrical. It's like it isn't natural human behavior, it's some bizarre contrivance aimed at instilling an artificial connection between the commentator and what the player did on the pitch. It gives me the same sort of feeling that I get if I eat something deeply unpalatable. I can't stand it. I know my dislike of this phenomenon is probably stronger than it needs to be, but I have always hated it so much. It's like how I hate the way American audiences at any given live performance will inexplicably hoot and hollar like baboons at absolutely everything, seemingly just to feel like they're somehow a part of the show when it's really nothing but a pointless nuisance.

It even happens in an almost lackadaisical manner, at times. The commentator will be chatting away about something unrelated and an unexpected goal is scored from a long shot, and suddenly he just starts droning, 'Blabla-something-someth--GOOOOOOOL! GOLGOLGOLGOL!!' Like it's some kind of cerebral programming, or a corporate instrution that they must drop all else and lapse into that witless utterance whenever a goal is scored, not some natural reaction that stems from real enthusiasm. I have some sort of allergy to that kind of fake, pre-programmed excitement.

At least English commentators (and Danish and German, the three languages I speak) have the decency to say something more linguistically meaningful like 'oh, what a marvellous goal! Well done, that man!' instead of just mindlessly shrieking a sound into the microphone. At least European commentators manage to retain the use of their mental faculties when a goal is scored, instead of giving in to inane screeches. It's alright to let excitement determine the pitch of your voice, but don't just devolve into maniacal shrieks of insanity, thank you very much.

Last edited:

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Real Madrid have dominated the CL for a decade while never winning a knockout tie convincingly.

In fact, they mostly look second best while knocking everyone out and winning finals.
the one they won vs Juventus was convincing. Both vs Liverpool couldn't have been luckier.