Wesley Sneijder

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
We didn't want them. Simple as, Ferguson wanted Valencia, Benzema, Obertan and Diouf instead. We only got Owen because Benzema fell through.
It's a massive blunder then isn't it? A Sneijder or Robben would have been so much better than wasting time and energy on Benzema.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Read it fine. We didn't lose out last year nor are we a year to late. We are not after him thats all.
You don't think - in retrospect - that he might have been a useful signing for us last summer, for about £12m?

That would be a pretty astonishing position if so.

I'm not having a go at United for not going for him. It's all with the benefit of hindsight. Maybe Ferguson didn't fancy him - fair enough. My point is that it's probably too late to bring him to the club now. There may have been an opportunity last summer. At the time I saw him as an excellent player but wasn't sure where he would fit in. That all seems clearer now, but that's due in no small part to the disappointment that has been Berbatov and the generally successful move to playing Rooney on his own up top. All of that happened in the last year or so, so - no blame in not getting him, but it would have been great if we had.

wr8, very harsh to say 'massive blunder'!

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
It's a massive blunder then isn't it? A Sneijder or Robben would have been so much better than wasting time and energy on Benzema.
Not if we wern't in for them in the first place. Then no. It's a bit like saying we never signed Messi as he turned out a great player was a blunder.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just a question, if say we don't sign anyone else this summer as Ferguson doesn't want to get anyone else then whats wrong with that?
If SAF decides not to sign someone then good luck for him but if he uses Sneijder or Villa's names to justify that then it would simply be.....:lol: There is no way in the world we would be able to sign those players.

Gambit

You don't think - in retrospect - that he might have been a useful signing for us last summer, for about £12m?

I'm not having a go at United for not going for him. It's all with the benefit of hindsight. Maybe Ferguson didn't fancy him - fair enough. My point is that it's probably too late to bring him to the club now. There may have been an opportunity last summer. At the time I saw him as an excellent player but wasn't sure where he would fit in. That all seems clearer now, but that's due in no small part to the disappointment that has been Berbatov and the generally successful move to playing Rooney on his own up top. All of that happened in the last year or so, so - no blame in not getting him, but it would have been great if we had.

Could have been. I see where Sneijder would fit in to now, but as you it's all hindsight.

wr8_utd

Not if we wern't in for them in the first place. Then no. It's a bit like saying we never signed Messi as he turned out a great player was a blunder.
Ok not a massive blunder but yet to think we could have had the two of them last summer for a combined 30m at most. Would have been the bargains of the decade.

Gambit

If SAF decides not to sign someone then good luck for him but if he uses Sneijder or Villa's names to justify that then it would simply be.....:lol: There is no way in the world we would be able to sign those players.
Why not, if we were truly after them and they wanted to come here then we would have every possibility to sign them.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
depends on if we are in for them now though.

It is a blunder to miss out on a player at 12million one summer and then try to buy him for 25million the following summer.

Has Sneijder really improved that much over the last 12 months that Fergie thought he wasn't worth 12 last summer but is worth 25 this summer? Its not like the lad was a relatively untested youth player untried at the highest level, where waiting to see how he improves and matures could be considered to be a good move.

If we are seriously trying to sing him for 25million, or more this summer, it makes having no interest in him at half the price last summer seem very odd at the very least.

If, however, we are not interested in him at this time, then yeah - there was no blunder cause we didn't want him last summer and the position has remained unchanged.

devilish

I wouldn't be surprised that we didn't shown interest in Sneijder because of his salary. Inter pay players well (Moratti is a rich cnut who wouldn't mind spending millions on the club out of his own pockets) but even Inter struggled to come to terms with Sneijder's salary.

Enigma_87

You know who
Whos to say we are in for them or were ever interested.
We were in the past, then he went to Chelsea. We've been linked to many players including Robben like with those "package" deals with Real Madrid for Ronaldo.

You can say that if we wanted any of those we would've first option on them, as Real desperately wanted Ronaldo, but having players exchange deal would've knocked down the price. And since it was all about the money move(since we have not actually spend any of Ronaldo's money) I guess that's the reason we didn't go for any Real player.

Gambit

Ok not a massive blunder but yet to think we could have had the two of them last summer for a combined 30m at most. Would have been the bargains of the decade.
We have a lot more competition for positions, whose to say they would have fitted in. Robben I don't consider any loss. Our first 2 wingers are up there with the best in the world.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
depends on if we are in for them now though.

It is a blunder to miss out on a player at 12million one summer and then try to buy him for 25million the following summer.
We did the same with Berbatov, nearly bough him for £10mill but wasted too much time sorting out RVN's problems so ended up getting him 2 seasons later for £30+ million.

devilish

Why not, if we were truly after them and they wanted to come here then we would have every possibility to sign them.
Its like saying that Bolton where unlucky not to compete for a first 4 place because their bids for Messi/Rooney where turned down. We are talking here about two players who where wanted/are signed by clubs who are richer then us and can provide a much bigger salary then us. Villa had Real/Barca name all written on him and there is no way to get to Sneijder expecially since

a) Inter are filthy rich

b)Mourinho is interested to resign him at Real.

When was the last time we outbidded Real/Barca for a player?

Enigma_87

You know who
I wouldn't be surprised that we didn't shown interest in Sneijder because of his salary. Inter pay players well (Moratti is a rich cnut who wouldn't mind spending millions on the club out of his own pockets) but even Inter struggled to come to terms with Sneijder's salary.
I don't think that would be the main problem. A year ago where would you go if you were Sneijder? United who have been 2 times CL finalists and 3 times won PL in a row or Inter? Sneijder was desperate for first team football, I don't think salary was his main priority. If that was the case he'd be happily staying in Real, like Van der Vaart.

sincher

Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick etc. etc.

The club is trying not to do this now, though. They're taking more chances on players before they have made it, on the basis that once they have, City/Real will be bidding £30m+.

Gambit

We were in the past, then he went to Chelsea. We've been linked to many players including Robben like with those "package" deals with Real Madrid for Ronaldo.

You can say that if we wanted any of those we would've first option on them, as Real desperately wanted Ronaldo, but having players exchange deal would've knocked down the price. And since it was all about the money move(since we have not actually spend any of Ronaldo's money) I guess that's the reason we didn't go for any Real player.
Yes but that was then with regrds to Robben and this is now, Ferguson signed Valencia and was happy with the squad. He said it would compete as it was and it did. There was no reason whatsoevr to get Robben or Sneijder.

sincher

SAF doesn't like buying players that clubs want to get rid of, in general. That might be one reason he didn't go for Sneijder or Robben.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I still think that had we wanted to, we could have come back with a negotiation on that £80m Ronaldo deal and asked for £80m + a player or two. They seemed that desperate to get Ronaldo that I'm sure they would have justified it to themselves as freeing up squad positions and offloading wages...

Gambit

Its like saying that Bolton where unlucky not to compete for a first 4 place because their bids for Messi/Rooney where turned down. We are talking here about two players who where wanted/are signed by clubs who are richer then us and can provide a much bigger salary then us. Villa had Real/Barca name all written on him and there is no way to get to Sneijder expecially since

a) Inter are filthy rich

As i said if they wanted to come here, then we have every chance to sign them. We've never outbid Madrid, but we have Barca as they were supposed to be trying to get Veron all those years ago and we gazzumped by 10 mil. We've also signed players they wanted. Vidic being the most recent. It's not always about money.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
He's an odious, vile cretin who I had the misfortune of playing against a few years back. Diving, cheating, fouling prick. Never seen a man get away with so much, it genuinely saddens me to see him go so far in the modern game.

Anyone see him in the Brazil match ? Every touch he got he was on the floor rolling around for half an hour.

An absolute cnut of a human being, and thank feck that Fergie didn't bring him to OT because I can't imagine his skill outweighing the negative overall effect he would have on the team.

devilish

I don't think that would be the main problem. A year ago where would you go if you were Sneijder? United who have been 2 times CL finalists and 3 times won PL in a row or Inter? Sneijder was desperate for first team football, I don't think salary was his main priority. If that was the case he'd be happily staying in Real, like Van der Vaart.
I disagree. I follow the Italian media (including Inter tv) and I can assure you its not the case. Inter had troubles to sign Sneijder due to his salary and the club are no wimps in terms of that. There was a time when Sneijder even threatened not to sign for them and remain at Real unless he isnt given the same salary that was given to him by the Spanish club. It ended up with a concensus with Inter making Sneijder one of their highest paid players and Sneijder accepting a slight wage cut.

The chapter is far from closed in fact this year there where rumours from his agents that he would love to join Mourinho at Real. Lets face it there are players who would rather rot on the bench then lose money.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
I still think that had we wanted to, we could have come back with a negotiation on that £80m Ronaldo deal and asked for £80m + a player or two. They seemed that desperate to get Ronaldo that I'm sure they would have justified it to themselves as freeing up squad positions and offloading wages...
A pretty good point and knowing Madrid you might be right, retarded club.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes but that was then with regrds to Robben and this is now, Ferguson signed Valencia and was happy with the squad. He said it would compete as it was and it did. There was no reason whatsoevr to get Robben or Sneijder.
Don't think Valencia has anything to do with us going for Robben. One plays on the left, the other on the right. Nani improved a lot in the second part of the season, but we certainly would've utilized Robben on the left.

I do think that either way Fergie was not genuinely interested in both last summer. Either way he should've put a bid for any of them, even if it is not a package deal. If Fergie wanted Sneijder he wouldn't miss out on him for 12.

In any case if the rumour is true, which I don't think so, and we do get him for 25 I think that it will be a massive blunder for Fergie. I mean, he knew Sneijder and I'm sure he's well familiar with his game. Buying him double after he could have got a first option on him last year seems irrational.

Either way - Robben and Sneijder are out of the question imo. In hindsight both would've been good additions to our squad, but I don't think we are interested now.

I disagree. I follow the Italian media (including Inter tv) and I can assure you its not the case. Inter had troubles to sign Sneijder due to his salary and the club are no wimps in terms of that. There was a time when Sneijder even threatened not to sign for them and remain at Real unless he isnt given the same salary that was given to him by the Spanish club. It ended up with a concensus with Inter making Sneijder one of their highest paid players and Sneijder accepting a slight wage cut.

The chapter is far from closed in fact this year there where rumours from his agents that he would love to join Mourinho at Real. Lets face it there are players who would rather rot on the bench then lose money.
Hmm, you do have a point there, I'm sure that he and his agent would've not wanted to take that wage cut.

But how much does Sneijder get anyway? I think we can affort to pay him 70-80k a week?

devilish

As i said if they wanted to come here, then we have every chance to sign them. We've never outbid Madrid, but we have Barca as they were supposed to be trying to get Veron all those years ago and we gazzumped by 10 mil. We've also signed players they wanted. Vidic being the most recent. It's not always about money.
I have followed Veron deal closely and Barca where never mentioned (good media not rubbish media like tuttosport or calciomercato.it). We got JSV because he had troubles in Italy due to the passports scandal that could have costed him a heavy suspension. He would have never left Italy if it wasn't for that.

Villa had been stating that he preferred Spain to England for 3 years in a row in which both Barca/Real where interested in him but they were always turned down due to Valencia's expectations (too high even for Barca/Real). We were just outsiders, who may have attracted attention only if Barca/Real suddently lost interest on the player which was highly improbable. Not to forget our not spending big for players over 26 yrs old policy since Valencia would have rather kept Villa then sell him for less then 30m.

There was as much chance of getting Villa as United buying a piece of land on the moon. Using his name as an excuse for our inability to add new players to the team would be :lol:

wr8_utd

a) Inter are filthy rich

Sniedjer would never go back to Madrid. Not after the way he was treated last time.

devilish

Hmm, you do have a point there, I'm sure that he and his agent would've not wanted to take that wage cut.

But how much does Sneijder get anyway? I think we can affort to pay him 70-80k a week?

I honestly don't know so I won't speculate. What I can tell you is that Moratti is filthy rich and loves to spend on his team. His team had always had a good number of mercenaries which include Vieri and Ronaldo on their prime and yet......no one had ever complained about the salary apart from Sneijder. You can deduct your conclusions from here.

devilish

Sniedjer would never go back to Madrid. Not after the way he was treated last time.
Not according to his agents. Mind you, I still think that he will remain at Inter. There is no way that Moratti would let him go (he'll increase his salary if neccessary). The only way he would leave is if he handles a transfer request and I can't see him accepting another wage cut to his salary to join us.

sdb4884

Real Madrid are scum, I really don't know why any player would want to play there when you have clubs like Barcelona, Inter, Man Utd and Chelsea all capable of winning titles.

wr8_utd

He's an odious, vile cretin who I had the misfortune of playing against a few years back. Diving, cheating, fouling prick. Never seen a man get away with so much, it genuinely saddens me to see him go so far in the modern game.

Anyone see him in the Brazil match ? Every touch he got he was on the floor rolling around for half an hour.

An absolute cnut of a human being, and thank feck that Fergie didn't bring him to OT because I can't imagine his skill outweighing the negative overall effect he would have on the team.
We've had Ronaldo. Sneijder won't be a patch on him.

wr8_utd

How come suddenly ALL of the papers today are reporting the same thing? Not one has a source and yet everyone from the Guardian to the Mail to the Sun are reporting the same thing.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Would love to see Sneijder signed, but would wonder what the plan for a number of players would be (the forwards not named Rooney). I don't think Sneijder would be comfortable or effective (or as effective) in a 442 so if he was signed, it would surely signal an intent to move to one up front on a more permanent basis

................VDS
Rafael.....Rio....Vidic....Evra
........Fletcher..Carrick
Valencia..Sneijder..Nani
..............Rooney

That looks great on paper, and I think restricting Carrick a bit might actually help him focus his game. However, I would still worry that if he doesn't cop himself on would Anderson or Hargreaves be able to step up as required?

Also, as mentioned, if that was our first choice team, what happens with Berbatov, Owen, Macheda, Welbeck, Diouf and Hernandez? surely we'd have to move on a couple of them - can we keep 7 forwards when generally only playing one up front? If you are moving people on, who would it be? I would look at keeping Kiko and Welbeck for the time being anyway. Kiko could develop into a quality central striker and I think Welbeck could develop into a good advanced right winger/forward in a 433. Hernandez would obviously be kept because he has only just been signed. That leaves Berbatov, Diouf and Owen. Of those 3 Berbatov would be the one I would least like to lose, with Diouf being the one I would be most prepared to see move on.

Or, is Sneijder far more capable of playing 442 than I am giving him credit for?

devilish

How come suddenly ALL of the papers today are reporting the same thing? Not one has a source and yet everyone from the Guardian to the Mail to the Sun are reporting the same thing.
I think it's bollox

wr8_utd

I think it's bollox
It probably is but yet usually one paper picks up such a story and the others don't catch on to it. But it's going around every paper and site for the last 12 hours or so.

wr8_utd

Would love to see Sneijder signed, but would wonder what the plan for a number of players would be (the forwards not named Rooney). I don't think Sneijder would be comfortable or effective (or as effective) in a 442 so if he was signed, it would surely signal an intent to move to one up front on a more permanent basis

................VDS
Rafael.....Rio....Vidic....Evra
........Fletcher..Carrick
Valencia..Sneijder..Nani
..............Rooney

That looks great on paper, and I think restricting Carrick a bit might actually help him focus his game. However, I would still worry that if he doesn't cop himself on would Anderson or Hargreaves be able to step up as required?

Also, as mentioned, if that was our first choice team, what happens with Berbatov, Owen, Macheda, Welbeck, Diouf and Hernandez? surely we'd have to move on a couple of them - can we keep 7 forwards when generally only playing one up front? If you are moving people on, who would it be? I would look at keeping Kiko and Welbeck for the time being anyway. Kiko could develop into a quality central striker and I think Welbeck could develop into a good advanced right winger/forward in a 433. Hernandez would obviously be kept because he has only just been signed. That leaves Berbatov, Diouf and Owen. Of those 3 Berbatov would be the one I would least like to lose, with Diouf being the one I would be most prepared to see move on.

Or, is Sneijder far more capable of playing 442 than I am giving him credit for?
Don't count Diouf as one of the 7 forwards. He'll be gone like Manucho anyway.
Owen is 31 and on a one year deal? He'll get the same old games from the bench.
Hernanzez should get chances and well Berba we might just sell off.

And I think Sniejder would be decent enough in a 4-4-2 with Fletcher alongisde to do the dirty work. But it's pointless discussing all this cause we're not going to sign him.

Devil may care

Hadn't Sneijder just came off a season of injury when Inter took him? and Robben is injury prone, so I a sure that figured into Fergie's decision, I don't think Obertan featured in it, buying him was a bit like when you did the shopping for your Mom when you were a kid and she said you could spend the change, and when you go to the checkout you had enough for a packet of fizzy chewits.

Enigma_87

You know who
I honestly don't know so I won't speculate. What I can tell you is that Moratti is filthy rich and loves to spend on his team. His team had always had a good number of mercenaries which include Vieri and Ronaldo on their prime and yet......no one had ever complained about the salary apart from Sneijder. You can deduct your conclusions from here.
I think out of the current crop only Eto'o gets a mindblowing wage. I don't think Sneijder even gets half as him.

Edit: I checked. Sneijder initially wanted 6m a year, Inter didn't want to pay more than 3.5m.

The contract was signed for 4m which is below 80k a week. Don't think he would need a pay cut to come to us if we are now interested and we put a bid.

wr8_utd

I think out of the current crop only Eto'o gets a mindblowing wage. I don't think Sneijder even gets half as him.

Edit: I checked. Sneijder initially wanted 6m a year, Inter didn't want to pay more than 3.5m.

The contract was signed for 4m which is below 80k a week. Don't think he would need a pay cut to come to us if we are now interested and we put a bid.
80k a week is very very reasonable. Even if he wanted 90k or 100k a week it would be worth it. People din't mind Cole getting 90-100k. Sneijder would surely deserve that much

Enigma_87

You know who
80k a week is very very reasonable. Even if he wanted 90k or 100k a week it would be worth it. People din't mind Cole getting 90-100k. Sneijder would surely deserve that much
100k would put him ahead of Rooney, don't think he'd be happy about it. :lol:

But yeah 75k which he gets seems reasonable.

BTW congrats on your boy winning Wimbey.

Status
Not open for further replies.