Wesley Sneijder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The main determination of whether or not we sign a midfielder (not a winger) is whether they can play in a 442, because that's what we use for a majority of domestic matches.

Does that apply to Wes here?
He can't play in the centre in a 4-4-2.

He can play on the wing though, just not very well.

Brwned

I beg to differ

Euro 2008
If you can't defend you'll never survive in the centre in a 4-4-2, in a competitive league. You might if you're playing alongside a defensive midfielder, barely.

Played in a 4222 and said himself he loved having that freedom to roam. Bit different to playing on the wing in a 442, you know that Chief.

CR#7

more than likely end up a rent-boy, do rate the lad tho highly talented just needs to stay fit

Alex

Good player, wonder where he will end up and for how much

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If you can't defend you'll never survive in the centre in a 4-4-2, in a competitive league. You might if you're playing alongside a defensive midfielder, barely.
It depends what you call mean by can't defend. A player like Scholes can't defend to save his life. What he has is though is positional sense. That is why he survives in a 4-4-2. Sneijder is not different IMO, for he has fantastic positional sense. So he shouldn't have trouble in a 4-4-2. At least the few time I've seen him in the system he hasn't had problems.

Played in a 4222 and said himself he loved having that freedom to roam.
I wonder. I could have sworn Holland played 4-2-3-1- that summer. With the 3 behind Ruud having free roles, yet keeping the width. Besides, in his first season at REAL he was pretty good yet he spent a sizable amount of it on the right flank.

Bit different to playing on the wing in a 442, you know that Chief.
I agree. But it is still playing on the wing. One can escape with playing like that if you have fullback who can do all the defensive work for you and master ball winners in midfield. Remember REAL with Zizou and Figo on the wings.

Brwned

It depends what you call mean by can't defend. A player like Scholes can't defend to save his life. What he has is though is postional sense. That is why he survives in a 4-4-2. Sneijder is not different IMO, for he has fantastic positonal sense. So he shouldn't have trouble in a 4-4-2. At least the few time I've seen him int he system he has had problems.

I wodner. I coudl have sworn Holand played 4-2-3-1- that summer. With the 3 behind Ruud having free roles, yet keeping the width. Besided in his first season at REAL he was pretty good yet he spent a sizeble amount of it on the right flank.

I agree. But it is still playing on the wing. One can escape with playing like that if you have fullback who can do all the defensive work for you and master ball winner in midfield. Remember REAL with Zizou and Figo on the wings.
Still don't agree that Scholes can't defend, but whatever. I think Sneijder lacks the positional sense and the workrate to be as good defensively as Scholesy. He ambles back into position, and doesn't close down players quick at all. Scholes closes down players very well and always has done.

Spent the first half of the season on the right flank, and he was quite good admittedly. Then he openly complained in the press about feeling that he's not involved enough in the play, and he was moved into the centre. He was a defensive liability.

Fair enough.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
FERGUSON JOINS THE SNEIJDER SHOOT-OUT

Wesley Sneijder will face a three-way battle for his talents as a playmaker once Holland’s World Cup adventure is over.

While new Inter Milan boss Rafa Benitez is desperate to keep the 26-year-old at the San Siro, his former manager Jose Mourinho wants him at Real Madrid and Sir Alex Ferguson believes the Dutchman can light up Old Trafford.

Mourinho is known to be an admirer of Sneijder, but the Manchester United interest in a player valued at £25million has only just started to leak out over here in South Africa.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

Similar story in the People as well. Would love for it to happen, but very unlikely.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
We had the perfect opportunity to sign him last summer by demanding he be part of any deal for Ronaldo, and wed have had him without problem as Madrid would have given him to us quite happily in any deal for Ronaldo, all we had to do was ask, we couldn’t even get that right, I suppose he didn’t represent ‘value’ at the time.

Put it simply, we could have had this player for absolutely nothing 12 months ago.....we dont deserve to have him now we had our chance and as we so often do in the transfer market we blew it.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Maybe we missed a trick or we desperately needed the cash to pay the debt, who knows?

Devil may care

The fact the article claims Mourinho wants to take him to Madrid after Perez spent all of last summer trying to get rid of him, just escalates the bogusness of this report sadly.

EvilChuck

Mourinho is known to be an admirer-NO SHIT,he bought him while manager at inter :rolleyes:
The fact the article claims Mourinho wants to take him to Madrid after Perez spent all of last summer trying to get rid of him, just escalates the bogusness of this report sadly.
Too....much....logic!!

I enjoy the sunday transfer rumours for the comedy they provide, I have no idea how they come up with most of them though. I can only think they have a hat full of players, and a hat full of Premiership teams, and do an FA cup style draw to see who the next transfer rumour will be about

Myxomatosis

United fan? My arse. WUM masquerades
Some right muppets on the first page of this thread. Sneijder has always been a class act.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Him playing well in the WC and in Inter is not the same as guaranteed success in the PL. Many players look good playing in orange, and many players look good playing in italy as well. From what I have seen from Sneijder, and that's a whole lot, he seem to be that type of player that wants all the action happening where he is. Often taking shots from stupid positions, likes hanging on to the ball in dangerous areas, not wanting to do the full job of a midfielder nor of a striker. A bit of a luxury player that Mourhino gave full support with Cambiaso and Motta behind + turning what was suppose to be a "3 man attack" into a one man (milito) and then having hard working Pandev into taking the flanks while probably torturing Etoo into doing the same job on the right. He's effective on his day, but can might as well fail. Very uncertain card to play and now time is well past it to talk about any sort of deal.

Ringo 07

We do not have a chance in hell of signing Sneijder! Why would Inter sell their best player? Why would he choose us over Real if Mourinho comes calling? Why would Rafa sell to his arch enemy in Fergie who wouldnt sell Heinze to him? Rafa is not going to forget that episode and do Fergie a favour! Van der Vaart is more realistic!

Inter will only sell for crazy money and only if they can get a decent player in exchange. This just seems like more tabloid crap to sell a few papers. He would be a great player for us so that is why he is being linked with us. We dont even have a player that Fergie would be willing to part with that they could be interested in!

Ekeke

Sneijder played on the left for Madrid. Not sure I can remember him on the right.

Sneijder was fantastic for Inter last season, but in a position we dont use in the tactics we play. For us he'd either play on the wing or in central midfield like he's doing not so fantastically for the Netherlands in the world cup. And he simply wouldnt be as good.

Allforone

Sneijder played on the left for Madrid. Not sure I can remember him on the right.

Sneijder was fantastic for Inter last season, but in a position we dont use in the tactics we play. For us he'd either play on the wing or in central midfield like he's doing not so fantastically for the Netherlands in the world cup. And he simply wouldnt be as good.
Erm i strongly beg to differ infact we could easily accomadate him whilst hardly changing the shape of the team:

...............................Van Der Sar

.Rafael.............Ferdinand............Vidic.............Evra

......................Fletcher............Hargreaves

.................................Sneijder
.Valencia.....................................................Nani
.................................Rooney

Hed fit perfectly in any 4-3-3 system but that would easily work, its basicaly the same system Inter use with 2 holding/covering players to do the dirty work in behind him (in our case Fletcher and Hargreaves in Inters Cambiasso and Motta) allowing Sneijder that free role to roam inbetween the lines just off Rooney with Valencia and Nani instead of Eto'o and Pandev on the flanks.

It really isnt any dramatic change of system for us at all seeing as we heavily favour a 4-3-3 in every big game these days anyway.

But its all academic anyway, we wont sign him.

Wan

Big, hard, important games, yes. The other 3/5 games, we play with 2 strikers.

Allforone

Well its semantics really isnt is? because you could easily argue that system can very easily become a 4-4-2 with Berbatov in over sneijder who basically drops off Rooney anyway when they play as a pair into that space off the front.

The basics of it are the same, youve got 2 wide men, 2 central midfielders, 1 striker and 1 'floater' if you like who plays just behind in that space whether it be Berbatov in a '4-4-2' or Sneijder in a 4-3-3...its really isnt much difference at all really and comes down to whether youd rather have Sneijder or Berbatov in the team against easy or tough opposition.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
We do not have a chance in hell of signing Sneijder! Why would Inter sell their best player? Why would he choose us over Real if Mourinho comes calling? Why would Rafa sell to his arch enemy in Fergie who wouldnt sell Heinze to him? Rafa is not going to forget that episode and do Fergie a favour! Van der Vaart is more realistic!

Inter will only sell for crazy money and only if they can get a decent player in exchange. This just seems like more tabloid crap to sell a few papers. He would be a great player for us so that is why he is being linked with us. We dont even have a player that Fergie would be willing to part with that they could be interested in!
I would assume, after Perez selling him last year when he didn't want to leave, that he'd be in no hurry to go back to Real.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Why do people always do these tactical formations and include Hargreaves in it? It's rather pointless considering 1) he's never fit and 2) he's not above Scholes, Carrick or Anderson at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.