Wesley Sneijder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Erm i strongly beg to differ infact we could easily accomadate him whilst hardly changing the shape of the team:

...............................Van Der Sar

.Rafael.............Ferdinand............Vidic.............Evra

......................Fletcher............Hargreaves

.................................Sneijder
.Valencia.....................................................Nani
.................................Rooney

Hed fit perfectly in any 4-3-3 system but that would easily work, its basicaly the same system Inter use with 2 holding/covering players to do the dirty work in behind him (in our case Fletcher and Hargreaves in Inters Cambiasso and Motta) allowing Sneijder that free role to roam inbetween the lines just off Rooney with Valencia and Nani instead of Eto'o and Pandev on the flanks.

It really isnt any dramatic change of system for us at all seeing as we heavily favour a 4-3-3 in every big game these days anyway.

But its all academic anyway, we wont sign him.
He doesnt play in behind 1 striker at Inter, he plays behind 2 strikers in a diamond with Cambiasso doing all the defending in central areas.

I'm not saying he couldnt play a similarish position here. I'm saying we dont play the exact position he has at Inter. And when he's played in different positions for Madrid, Ajax and the Netherlands he simply hasnt been as good as he was for Inter last season. Its his optimal position and we dont play it.

And the problem with your suggestion is that he'd be our second most advanced attacking player, and like with Berbatov the season before last, we need that player to supply a decent amount of goals. Berbatov got 9 league goals that season and was heavily critisized - Sneijder managed 4 last season.

If we played a diamond it'd be absolutely brilliant to get him, or even Silva perhaps in to play at the top of the midfield behind the strikers. But we're Manchester United. We do width and wingers and we cross the ball into the box better than any other top team. So its unlikely we're going to make that change with Ferguson in charge. Maybe if the next manager is Italian.

Wan

Well its semantics really isnt is? because you could easily argue that system can very easily become a 4-4-2 with Berbatov in over sneijder who basically drops off Rooney anyway when they play as a pair into that space off the front.

The basics of it are the same, youve got 2 wide men, 2 central midfielders, 1 striker and 1 'floater' if you like who plays just behind in that space whether it be Berbatov in a '4-4-2' or Sneijder in a 4-3-3...its really isnt much difference at all really and comes down to whether youd rather have Sneijder or Berbatov in the team against easy or tough opposition.
Whether they drop off or not, Berbatov is still a striker, which Sneijder is not. And we've struggled in the past in non-big/important games without that 2nd striker usually.

radd

He doesnt play in behind 1 striker at Inter, he plays behind 2 strikers in a diamond with Cambiasso doing all the defending in central areas.

I'm not saying he couldnt play a similarish position here. I'm saying we dont play the exact position he has at Inter. And when he's played in different positions for Madrid, Ajax and the Netherlands he simply hasnt been as good as he was for Inter last season. Its his optimal position and we dont play it.

And the problem with your suggestion is that he'd be our second most advanced attacking player, and like with Berbatov the season before last, we need that player to supply a decent amount of goals. Berbatov got 9 league goals that season and was heavily critisized - Sneijder managed 4 last season.

If we played a diamond it'd be absolutely brilliant to get him, or even Silva perhaps in to play at the top of the midfield behind the strikers. But we're Manchester United. We do width and wingers and we cross the ball into the box better than any other top team. So its unlikely we're going to make that change with Ferguson in charge. Maybe if the next manager is Italian.
Very good post.

Interista

Sneijder performed at his best in the diamond, it's true but we changed system since the begin of the Champions League knock-out stage and specifically since the return match against Chelsea, Mourinho ditched the diamond and opted for a 4-2-3-1, Sneijder kept playing wonderfully behind one striker. Actually against Chelsea he didn't roam so much inbetween the lines and dictacted play from a more withdrawn position, exactly in the centre of the midfield as his pass to Eto'o on the decisive goal showed. He can play in a 4-3-3 with two other midfielders shielding him. Tactics aside, he's not for sale, unless a ridiculously high offer comes but anything suggests he wants to stay at Inter and above all Inter wants to keep him. I don't know why either the Italian and the International press thinks we're making a clearout.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This is from Ben Lyttleton:

I believe NOS TV is a Dutch TV station
Question is whether we 'want' to negotiate (as the tweet suggests) or if we 'are' negotiating (which I really doubt). Hopefully it's the latter :drool:

He'd probably cost £25-30 million, but Rafa would be a fool to entertain the idea of selling Sneijder.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Rafa would be a fool to entertain the idea of selling Sneijder.
Benitez has already said himself he doesn’t have much (if any) control over transfers at Inter, the bigger men up the ladder so to speak deal with player purchases and sales not the waiter....you think Inter would even entertain the idea of hiring Benitez if it meant giving him control of transfer money!???

This is not the halfwits at Liverpool we're talking about here, Inter aint daft they dont want a team full of Lucas's and Ngog's.

Member 39557

Benitez has already said himself he doesn’t have much (if any) control over transfers at Inter, the bigger men up the ladder so to speak deal with player purchases and sales not the waiter....you think Inter would even entertain the idea of hiring Benitez if it meant giving him control of transfer money!???

This is not the halfwits at Liverpool we're talking about here, Inter aint daft they dont want a team full of Lucas's and Ngog's
:lol: Ahh, I'd already forgotten about his transfer prowess.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He'll be wasted under Benitez.
Like Gerrard and Aimar?

He plays a strict system but he bases that strict system around the most talented players.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sign him up Fergie. If we could have one player this summer it would be him for me.

Pity Rafa is the Inter manager now.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I'm running out of superlatives for this lad. An absolute gem of a player.

If Holland go on to win the World Cup he'll be World Player of the Year i'd have thought. He'd have won absolutely everything there is to win this year, and been the star of whatever team he's played for.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I would say they've been equally influential for their club sides but seeings Inter had the edge in the Champs League final and Schneijders had the greater impact in the World Cup so far then he would be in pole position
Naa. People just dont drool over him like they do for Robben. Already commentators have been saying it is Robben who was the difference vs Brazil tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.