What’s the reasons for keeping Ole?

soaphroniscuss

Ole is enjoying something of a honeymoon at the moment, but come the start of the season it will be time for him to deliver. Of the many things that football fans are famous for, unlimited patience with management is not one of them.
"Not if the club does not get him the players he needs" - OleCafe

Un4givableB

Delaying more evidence showing that Woodward is an incompetent prat and a lot of Utd are gullible rubes.

fastwalker

"Not if the club does not get him the players he needs" - OleCafe
Really? And what happens if the players that he needs don't want to come, because they see the club as unstable or because we are not in the Campions League? What happens if the players that he needs turn about to be mercenaries (and we have had a few of those) what happens then?

soaphroniscuss

Really? And what happens if the players that he needs don't want to come, because they see the club as unstable or because we are not in the Campions League? What happens if the players that he needs turn about to be mercenaries (and we have had a few of those) what happens then?
I don't know ask "OleCafe"

romufc

Why fans are getting on the back of Ole is because:-

1. He has no pedigree - What do fans want? what does pedigree mean? trophies? Allegri winning Serie A year in year out ? or Poch? no trophies?

2. Fans feel he is a yes man? This is because Ole seems to be a nice guy and defends his players, but no one actually knows what is said after the poor results in the dressing room.

Lets give the man till December, by then it will be clear how capable he is? I hope we are playing good football and the fear factor back at Old Trafford to shut the doubters.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why fans are getting on the back of Ole is because:-

1. He has no pedigree - What do fans want? what does pedigree mean? trophies? Allegri winning Serie A year in year out ? or Poch? no trophies?

2. Fans feel he is a yes man? This is because Ole seems to be a nice guy and defends his players, but no one actually knows what is said after the poor results in the dressing room.

Lets give the man till December, by then it will be clear how capable he is? I hope we are playing good football and the fear factor back at Old Trafford to shut the doubters.
Let me ask you the reverse questions:

1. If things don't work out and we're off the pace for top 4 in December which top manager will we bring who will be available midseason?
2. Ole brings some players that doesn't work well for the next manager in place, what do do with yet another overpaid players that doesn't fit the style of the next manager?
3. Another year without CL (2020), due to the experiment, is it worth it?
4. How many top players will come to us next year after yet another failed qualification for CL next year?
5. Stalling over DoF appointment because we already have manager in place and we don't rush it, is it worth it?
6. When the new manager comes in he will need yet another 2-3 windows with another 200-300m right?
7. If Ole is not accountable for who we bring (apparently he has no say according to some posts above) in the Summer, then why the constant notion is that in order to succeed he needs to bring his own players?
8. We start another season with Young, Jones, Smalling and other dross that he is supposed to flock, let me guess it won't be his fault as he doesn't make the transfer decisions, yet he made one captain and supervised signing contracts with others?
9. Pogba and DDG would most likely leave - do you think it correlates to the ambition shown by us by appointing a nobody in terms of management? Ole doesn't ooze respect and how can he keep egos at bay and generally be as ruthless as fans wants him to be, based on his siding with the players and calling them cushy nicknames?

Glideman

So many what ifs, the guy is our manager, he’s not getting sacked before the season so honestly what is the point of this thread????? Is it insurance for some people so if it does go wrong they can say I told you so?

romufc

Let me ask you the reverse questions:

1. If things don't work out and we're off the pace for top 4 in December which top manager will we bring who will be available midseason?
2. Ole brings some players that doesn't work well for the next manager in place, what do do with yet another overpaid players that doesn't fit the style of the next manager?
3. Another year without CL (2020), due to the experiment, is it worth it?
4. How many top player will come to us next year after yet another failed qualification for CL next year?
5. Stalling over DoF appointment because we already have manager in place and we don't rush it, is it worth it?
6. When the new manager comes in he will need yet another 2-3 windows with another 200-300m right?
7. If Ole is not accountable for who we bring (apparently he has no say according to some posts above) in the Summer, then why the constant notion is that in order to succeed he needs to bring his own players?
8. We start another season with Young, Jones, Smalling and other dross that he is supposed to flock, let me guess it won't be his fault as he doesn't make the transfer decisions?
9. Pogba and DDG would most likely leave - do you think it correlates to the ambition shown by us by appointing a nobody in terms of management?

I totally agree with you, but the club have given him a contract. Once we did that, we should back him.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Ole till end of season, then go all out for Poch because we have seen he can take good players and make them play and believe in his way.

I agree again that changes have to happen from top down, appointing DOF, identifying a style, getting a manager that fits that and then players who fit that too.

Over the last few years, we have gone with a scatter gun approach from Fred to Sanchez.

I think point 8 is the most important, if we start the season with Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw as our back 4 with Rojo and Jones backups, we will not finish above 5th, and if Ole was serious about being successful, he has to be ruthless and say to the board that he cannot work with these and he should resign if he does not get a CB. Someone has to make a stance against the Board.

Enigma_87

You know who
I totally agree with you, but the club have given him a contract. Once we did that, we should back him.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Ole till end of season, then go all out for Poch because we have seen he can take good players and make them play and believe in his way.

I agree again that changes have to happen from top down, appointing DOF, identifying a style, getting a manager that fits that and then players who fit that too.

Over the last few years, we have gone with a scatter gun approach from Fred to Sanchez.

I think point 8 is the most important, if we start the season with Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw as our back 4 with Rojo and Jones backups, we will not finish above 5th, and if Ole was serious about being successful, he has to be ruthless and say to the board that he cannot work with these and he should resign if he does not get a CB. Someone has to make a stance against the Board.
Yeah, that's fair. Think after we jumped on the gun Woodward wants to save face and put it all on him next season if he fails, despite hurting us more in the long run.

Not sure what he has to do(Woodward) to be finally removed from the position of supervising football related matters. He has been criticized heavily over his entire tenure, yet he oversees manager after manager and player after player.

Point 5 is the most important one, and for a brief moment before Ole was appointed full time I had a hope we would actually do it.

Rafaeldagold

Maybe you do, Solskjaer don't.

Seriously, these troll threads need to stop, asap.
Do you honestly think we have looked like a team with a plan under Ole? It’s been as bad as Moyes at times.

How is it a ‘troll’ thread? Does everything have to be pro Ole?
Are we as precious & sentimental as Liverpool now?

It’s pathetic to be honest

AJ10

IMO managers we've hired since fergie have been the wrong choices for our club (not based on hindsight) but we've given them time to show improvements in terms of style and results. Our new manager will get just that, a year to show improvements in style and results.

Enigma_87

You know who
Do you honestly think we have looked like a team with a plan under Ole? It’s been as bad as Moyes at times.

This is an article from Paul Abbandonato when just before he got the sack at Cardiff. After his best stint as a manager at Molde(winning titles).

All sounds too familiar, except for some in denial:

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Cardiff City reign: Confused, chaotic, clueless and crazy... Paul Abbandonato's verdict

As Solskjaer stands on the brink, Paul Abbandonato says the Bluebirds boss has been a desperate disappointment and his crazy tinkering has cost the team dear
This time last week I had the pleasure of writing one of the nicer Bluebirds stories of recent times.

How official Home Office statistics proved the club had rid themselves of their old hooliganism stigma and had made Cardiff City Stadium the most fan friendly environment in football.

Well done to everybody involved in that. What a shame the truly enormous strides being made off the field aren’t matched on it by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team.

If anything, it’s the opposite. Under Solskjaer’s management, Cardiff City are hurtling backwards at an alarming rate of knots and I don’t see any evidence of the Norwegian proving he can stop the demise any time soon.

I was amongst those excited when Solskjaer was first brought into the club as manager. He had a burgeoning reputation as one of the brightest young bosses in the game, was a wanted man in boardrooms in the Premier League and on the continent.

Well talk about hype getting in the way of hard-nosed football reality. Solskjaer has been a desperate disappointment as Cardiff boss and the team’s dip down to 17th in the Championship table is entirely down to his mis-management.

Cardiff, under Solskjaer, appear confused, chaotic, and clueless. They are like that because of his non-stop tinkering, which has led to a lack of consistency and pattern, and some truly crass decision-making when it comes to team selection.

Harsh words, I accept, which will probably be dismissed by Solskjaer as the views of someone who “knows nothing about football.”

That age-old cliche those professionals in the game trot out when they come in for criticism. But my views are no different to those of many of Cardiff’s paying customers who have lost any confidence in Solskjaer.

Vincent Tan has spent a fortune on giving his Norwegian boss what, on paper at least, looks by far the strongest squad in the Championship. Certainly the biggest, with defender Sean Morrison trumpeting that Cardiff’s second X1 should be good enough to earn promotion.

The trouble is that under Solskjaer, we don’t know what the first XI is, let alone the second team.

Tinker, tinker, tinker. Change, change, change. David Marshall in goal, then throw the other places up in the air for grabs.

It’s early days, of course, but Cardiff are 17th in the table for a reason. They lack as much shape, pattern and tactical consistency today as they did when Solskjaer first entered the fray as manager back at the beginning of January.

I hesitate to say he’s lost the plot because, as far as some Cardiff fans are concerned, we wonder if he had it in the first place.

These are the facts. Solskjaer has been in charge of Cardiff for 25 League games. Just five of those have been won.

Only once, against Stoke last season, has he kept the same starting X1. He seems as far removed from knowing his best team today as he did for that first match in charge against West Ham.

That was a home loss, of course, just like the last two games against Norwich and Middlesbrough, results which have led to Bluebirds fans clamouring for change and demanding Tan asks Tony Pulis to ride to the rescue.

They, like me, simply cannot fathom some of Solskjaer’s decision-making. Against Boro he played Matthew Connolly at left-back and Anthony Pilkington just in front of him. Two right-footers on the left-flank.

I’ve been a huge critic of Andrew Taylor, but I was almost crying out for his return the other night!

It was perfectly summed up for me when Adam le Fondre had the ball near the Boro box towards the end, looked left, looked left again, looked left yet again... and still had nobody anywhere near him in support. He was forced to go inside, where he invariably lost the ball.

Four days earlier, Solskjaer had started with a midfield of Peter Whittingham, Aron Gunnarsson and Joe Ralls, three players he inherited from Malky Mackay. So what on earth was the point of signing Kagisho Dikgacoi, Tom Adeyemi and Guido Burtgstaller in the summer?

He keeps playing Gunnarsson in the 10 role. Aron has many strengths, being a midfield warrior one of them, but he isn’t, and never will be, a creative footballer. Surely Mats Daehli or Kim Bo-Kyung are better options in that key position?

When he first came into the job, Solskjaer pledged an adventurous, free-flowing brand of football to wow the fans. He wanted ball-playing centre-backs, which is why Bruno Manga and Juan Cala were chosen against Middlesbrough.

What we saw in the second half was lump it up to Kenwyne Jones route one rubbish. A style totally alien to Manga and Cala.

It got Cardiff absolutely nowhere, was the worst display of that method of football I’ve seen from the Bluebirds since Dave Jones’ Class of 2011 adopted similar tactics in a play-off loss to Reading. That night Jon Parkin was up front. Enough said.

Cardiff were booed off the field against Boro, at half-time and full-time, by angry supporters making their views known to Solskjaer. Others simply voted with their feet, the attendance dipping below 20,000 for the first time in four years.

This was the lowest League gate at Cardiff City Stadium since the 18,000 who attended a 1-1 draw with Sheffield United back on March 24, 2010.

Solskjaer has presided over some utterly abject Cardiff display at home and Middlesbrough was every bit as bad as the Bluebirds crashing to Hull and Crystal Palace.

The most damning thing about that game wasn’t the result, more the fact the Boro came to Cardiff’s lair, in front of the Bluebirds’ own fans, and were more committed.

Any 50-50 duels invariably went Boro’s way. There were some loaded 60-40 in Cardiff’s favour that Boro also won.

Their commitment and endeavour was a lesson to Solskjaer. A throwback, in a way, to the sort of Cardiff team we had become accustomed to under Mackay.

But everything is tied in, I believe, to the confusion that reigns as a result of the non-stop changes. The players simply don’t seem to know how to get themselves back into a game.

The 90 minutes were encapsulated right at the end when Peter Whittingham, one of the finest set piece experts I have seen, took two corners as Cardiff searched the equaliser. The first sailed over everyone’s heads, the second didn’t even beat the first man. Pathetic.

Clearly the Norwegian titles Solskjaer won with Molde and reserve gongs with Manchester United mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the sharp end of our game here.

When Solskjaer breezed in, huge reputation coming with him, there were suggestions that if pulled up trees with Cardiff, he could become a future Manchester United manager.

After his work here, Solskjaer has even less chance than David Moyes of going back to Old Trafford.

fergiesarmy1

I think people are forgetting the fantastic start he had, whose to say he has no chance of reproducing that next season?

Pearl of Wisdom

First of all you need to define ruthlessness. If a club kicks out a player whose been employed for them for 3-8 years because he wasn't able to deliver any decent football then that is not ruthlessness but simply common sense. I've always said that as a thumb of rule a player should be given a year to settle down. If he fails to deliver then he's given a second year HOWEVER some solid competition should be added. Then if he fails again then the club should consider selling him. There are few exceptions though for example if we sign someone for instant success and he fails to deliver. You can't keep a Sanchez for 3 years on that salary. Nevertheless I find the 3 year rule as fair

Returning to Ole he's done very well up until he was given a permanent contract. Which is quite convenient really. The moment Ole had the power to change things around his players seemed to have downed the tools. That's a common accusation made by Mou, LVG and Moyes as well. Now I am not defending Ole or the former managers at all. In my opinion the latter should have been sacked while I have serious doubts that Ole would succeed. Having said that its pretty evident that our issues go way beyond the manager and won't be sorted by the manager being sacked again. Actually I believe that things will be made worse as a new manager will come in, he'll give these players the benefit of the doubt and then they'll work on sacking him again.

So here is what I think it should be done. Give Ole a year with the mandate to clear all the deadwood and augment the team with young players. Let all our players know that if Ole fail as a manager then he'll be given a job at board level which means that their little coups will only serve in pushing the manager closer to the owner's ear. Meanwhile we should invest in restructuring the club at board level. If I had my way then the football side and the business side should be separated with both sides having their own CEOs. From the football side of things I'd hire VDS as CEO, SAF should return as club president only to be replaced by Ole when SAF calls it a day + if things go haywire, Campos should be appointed as DOF, Said Ouaali should be appointed head of youth development and Mitchell should be appointed as head of recruitment. We won't be winning anything tangible anytime soon so lets invest heavily on rebuilding the foundations of the club for good
I like this very much.
I concur and think it the only way to curtail this player power that is gripping our club.
I'd appoint Ole as DOF after his managerial stint( obviously, unless its a car crash this coming season and we are staring relegation down the barrel ) would add a stability to the club we havent seen in 6 years. He could ship players out under a new manager who are not playing for the new manager and wouldnt play for him. A much elevated position of authority of management over individual players. He would be greeting them as we sign the contract an showing them the door if they dont make it to the required level here.

sugar_kane

This forum is a joke sometimes.

The reason to keep him is that he's a smart guy who wants to play the right way and he understands the club.

We've tried experienced managers and it's been a fecking disaster, we need a new approach and this is it.

Re: the article above - yes there's a reason Cardiff were seventeenth, cos they're fecking shite and that's why they've been relegated again this season several years on under a different manager.

The worst thing Ole did re: Cardiff was taking the job in the first place. It could have been career suicide.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m actually confused as to why as one of the biggest club in the world we’re about to meander into another season with:

Lack of confidence

Poor form

Too many average players

No sense of a style for the team being imposed

Why are we backing Ole to turn this around when we finished the season so poorly? Are we really going to trust a novice manager with rebuilding just because he used to play for us?
Have a break for a bit will you?

Enigma_87

You know who
This forum is a joke sometimes.

The reason to keep him is that he's a smart guy who wants to play the right way and he understands the club.
That could be said for pretty much everyone who has played for the club for more than 100 games.

We've tried experienced managers and it's been a fecking disaster, we need a new approach and this is it.
appointing inexperienced managers is the way forward?

Re: the article above - yes there's a reason Cardiff were seventeenth, cos they're fecking shite and that's why they've been relegated again this season several years on under a different manager.

The worst thing Ole did re: Cardiff was taking the job in the first place. It could have been career suicide.
I bet the same would be said for United in an year or so.

You don't agree there is a lot of things similar in that article above in both him managing Cardiff and United in terms of man management, tactics, inability to turn things round?

romufc

Yeah, that's fair. Think after we jumped on the gun Woodward wants to save face and put it all on him next season if he fails, despite hurting us more in the long run.

Not sure what he has to do(Woodward) to be finally removed from the position of supervising football related matters. He has been criticized heavily over his entire tenure, yet he oversees manager after manager and player after player.

Point 5 is the most important one, and for a brief moment before Ole was appointed full time I had a hope we would actually do it.

That is why I think we need to start from the top - appointing a DOF with a plan - like business have a business plan for the next 4/5 years we need a footballing plan.

At the moment it seems to be all now now now, the managers whom have come and gone have all said it is a process and the squad needs overhaul. Now it is clear to see who those are.. Smalling, Jones, Young etc. they are the constants and they seem to have 3/4 good games which fools a manager into thinking they can be first choice.

The one thing I also notice about Ole, he seems to be more a PR man, in what he says is not what he does, this is good to get fans on side but it won't take long for fans to see through it.

He talks about a high energy, young team with quick passing - if we do not see signs of that in the first 10 games then I am afraid he is not delivering.

Dutsey

Tottenham have lost 19 games this season alone. Why do people think Poch will succeed here? The pressure will be different and he wont get a bedding in period like he did at Spurs?

Enigma_87

You know who
That is why I think we need to start from the top - appointing a DOF with a plan - like business have a business plan for the next 4/5 years we need a footballing plan.

At the moment it seems to be all now now now, the managers whom have come and gone have all said it is a process and the squad needs overhaul. Now it is clear to see who those are.. Smalling, Jones, Young etc. they are the constants and they seem to have 3/4 good games which fools a manager into thinking they can be first choice.

The one thing I also notice about Ole, he seems to be more a PR man, in what he says is not what he does, this is good to get fans on side but it won't take long for fans to see through it.

He talks about a high energy, young team with quick passing - if we do not see signs of that in the first 10 games then I am afraid he is not delivering.
I wouldn't read too much in it tbh. He no doubt is guided by our PR staff and that IMO is still world class. So far we would say anything the fans want to hear so ticket sales don't go down. Woodie's interview saying we are well prepared to back him in the transfer market is yet another PR stunt( not saying he won't but it's also to appease the fans).

Appointing DoF is crucial, but again hopefully we finally get that right and bring a man with the needed qualities for the job, not only because he "knows the club" and "the United way" and shows plenty of pashun.

AJ10

Now?......... Seriously?

Its been clear since LVG days. They're not good enough to be first team players in a big club but we've had LVG and Jose fecking Mourinho having them as first team players.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are the same people who are demanding Ole be removed his position the same one's who maintain some of these players should be backed?

I've no idea if Ole is going to be a success, but I give him all my backing totally. The same as I did for Jose and LvG until their positions became untenable. But the players have a Hell of a lot to answer in my opinion. Loads of the squad are not fit enough physically, which I think is obvious watching our last 10 games or so. Too many players are not good enough, we can all see that, but are getting picked because they actually try and others can't be trusted for one reason or another. Too many of the supposed quality players aren't doing anywhere near enough to justify their massive contracts. The squad needs major surgery from 3 failed regimes as we have a huge mish-mash of players.

In my opinion it's obvious it's clearly not solely the fault of the manager. At least with Ole in charge we have a manager who will give everything of his being into seeing the club fight to get back where it belongs, and as much as some people scoff he will adhere to the traditions and ways of the club I fell in love with. Give the man a chance, and let's see where we are at the end of next season.

romufc

Now?......... Seriously?

Its been clear since LVG days. They're not good enough to be first team players in a big club but we've had LVG and Jose fecking Mourinho having them as first team players.

Well, the fans knew they are not good enough but the board still keep insisting on them giving them 4 year contracts, just cause they English?

Jose kept playing them but also stood up against it to some extent playing McToiminay in defence. When you are conceding 54 Goals there is an issue.

I will not be able to watch United if we go into the season with no new CB.

Shark

@NotShark
IMO managers we've hired since fergie have been the wrong choices for our club (not based on hindsight) but we've given them time to show improvements in terms of style and results. Our new manager will get just that, a year to show improvements in style and results.
Do you really think if we're lingering in 7th or worse by christmas the board will give him more time? very wishful thinking if you ask me. The other three managers at least had the luxury of David Moyes(being our first disaster after SAF) and LVG and Jose had the experience to warrant it.

AJ10

Well, the fans knew they are not good enough but the board still keep insisting on them giving them 4 year contracts, just cause they English?

Jose kept playing them but also stood up against it to some extent playing McToiminay in defence. When you are conceding 54 Goals there is an issue.

I will not be able to watch United if we go into the season with no new CB.
If i am not mistaken we had injuries when Mct was played at CB otherwise they played many matches. But the point was experienced managers like LVG and Jose kept playing them, if they didn't want them they would of have sidelined them e.g. as jose did with Blind.

We need good RB/CB/CM/RW/ST this summer.

Decomposing In Paris

I’m actually confused as to why as one of the biggest club in the world we’re about to meander into another season with:

Lack of confidence

Poor form

Too many average players

Why are we backing Ole to turn this around when we finished the season so poorly? Are we really going to trust a novice manager with rebuilding just because he used to play for us?
I'm actually confused as to why you created this thread.

Pace Abuser

Transfer window for you. Transfer window for him. Transfer windows for everybody!

We're Manchester United, trying to ignite the managerial careers of mid table managers, relics, mentally unstable, and rookies.

Give it Giggseh next and then have a random lottery of names who've played over 100 games for United because legends, get the club, live in the Stretford End.

AJ10

Do you really think if we're lingering in 7th or worse by christmas the board will give him more time? very wishful thinking if you ask me. The other three managers at least had the luxury of David Moyes(being our first disaster after SAF) and LVG and Jose had the experience to warrant it.
As I said he'll be given a year to show improvements in style and results (time given to a manager is not month to month), being 7th or below near Christmas is not improvement. As for the board, well they gave the shit show that was jose more time after it became clear he had no fight.

Yeah, their experience had the likes of smalling,jones,young,fellaini as first team players. So much for experience.

nokoya

Lack of confidence

Poor form

Too many average players

Sorry to ask personal question, but not to attack personality and just to understand. How old are you and how long you've support this club ?

Paul_Scholes18

I know it is early days and the market has not got going, but I worry that he will not be able to bring in the quality we need nor will he buy what we need.

Our attack is our biggest problem in my view and it looks like Lukaku might go. If he does we need a top class striker in. If Rashford is our main man next season we are doomed. Also a good right winger is needed (not Lingard in all games) and Martial played better under Mourinho than he did under Ole. Thus at least two attackers is probably needed unless he can get those we have playing much better and turn Lingard, Rashford and Martial into world beaters. The fact all players did decline in the end make me doubt he know how to improve the players we got. Fitness could help, but the ,main problem with those 3 above is not fitness, but other things. Lukaku is the only guy in our team that I think could do much better if his fitness improved, but we might sell him.
Maybe Pogba could improve too, but he has played every game which seem strange if his fitness is so bad.

red4ever 79

As I said he'll be given a year to show improvements in style and results (time given to a manager is not month to month), being 7th or below near Christmas is not improvement. As for the board, well they gave the shit show that was jose more time after it became clear he had no fight.

Yeah, their experience had the likes of smalling,jones,young,fellaini as first team players. So much for experience.
He will be given until Xmas in my opinion. As the above poster indicated if we are struggling and performing like we did at the back end of last season he will be gone. I am genuinely worried especially if Ole is going to put his faith in our defenders and Rashford.