What’s your favorite United game?

Utd7

On tv: United Arsenal 8-2
Live: United v Southampton, 2017 home opener because it was first and so far only trip to OT

AndersB

I was at the 8-2 myself, and obviously it was great, but I think the match has become a little bit overrated as the years have passed. We weren't playing -that- well, and pretty much every attempt went in. Arsenal played fecking Jenkinson (who got sent off), and a bunch of other fringe players.

The 7-1 was much more impressive in that sense imo

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Probably the return leg against Juventus in 1999.

Arsenal 8:2 as the most surreal game-like experience. It was a different sport, really.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Long before 1999 final there was another special game with a killer ending. Cantonaaaaaaaaaaa one. 1:0 final whistle.

Had to buy another VHS tape for these games. :lol:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Tie between home and away vs. Arsenal in the 2004/05 season.

Ended the Invincibles' 49-game unbeaten league run with Van Nistelrooy redeeming himself in the Battle of the Buffet, and then edged them at Highbury in what was probably the most pulsating United match I've ever seen (starting with the tunnel incident). Even better in hindsight because of the growing influence of Ronaldo and Rooney! :drool:

Don't think any of our other competitive rivalries of the Premier League era match the sheer emotion or gravity of those dramatic Clásico-esque fixtures vs. Arsenal.

Skills

Snitch
Nothing can ever top Roma for me. The build up, the tension, and then the way the team delivered it all was incredible. Every single goal that night was special, and it was just exhilarating football all game.

Some greats mentioned but i like the 3 - 1 vs Arsenal in the 2009 CL semi.

I remember there was plenty of talk we could lose and they would get to the final ahead of us. In the end it was the most ruthless I can ever remember us, we absolutely dominated what was still a very good Arsenal team.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Preseason versus Celtic, a 3-1 win on July 16, 2010 in Toronto. The first and only time I've seen the team in the flesh. I got really wasted so I don't remember much. Think I saw Giggsy's ex-missus and yelled "Johnny, Johnny give us a wave" at O'Shea which was apparently loudly enough for the whole stadium to hear

singhters

Can't believe no one has mentioned this one.

1993/1994 Season from 2-0 down away.

Man City 2-3 Man Utd
quinn 21,32 Cantona 52,77
Keane 86

Will never forget the guys face in the background as Roy Keane scored and celebrated his face is just pure hatred.

vidic blood & sand

Think it would have to be the 85 cup final.

Great memories of beating Newcastle away in 96.
Overturning the 2:0 against Barca in 84.
85 semi replay vs liverpool
99 semi replay against arsenal
99 CL final of course

More will come to me

RedDevil@84

Arsenal 8-2 was so memorable. It was my birthday and I wasn't expecting that gift.
There might be excuses about Arsenal fielding a weakened side, but Rooney and Young put not 1 but 2 absolute beauties each. Those 4 goals was very high on quality.

The Moscow CL final as well. The emotions that ran high and running around like an idiot when Terry slipped is so memorable.

Minimalist

Don't really have a favourite game in isolation (I'm sure I'm not alone there). Probably forgetting some but these are the special matches over the years for me personally:

Liverpool 1 Man Utd 3 - 1997/98 (Cole double and Beckham free-kick special)
Probably one of the few Liverpool games I've truly enjoyed from start to finish.

Man Utd 3 Barcelona 3 - 1998/99 (another Beckham special)

Juventus 2 Man Utd 3 - 1998/99
Man Utd 2 Bayern 1 - 1998/99

Man Utd 2 Arsenal 0 - 2002/03
Arsenal 2 Man Utd 2 - 2002/03 (That Ruud opener :drool:)

Man Utd 1 Chelsea 0 - 2005/06

Man Utd 1 Chelsea 1 - 2006/07
Man Utd 7 Roma 1 - 2006/07 (what a night)
Man Utd 3 Milan 2 - 2006/07
Everton 2 Man Utd 4 - 2006/07

Man Utd 1 Chelsea 1 - 2007/08 (CL final)

*I'm becoming aware writing this, that I don't really rate many of the matches during a massively successful period 2007-2010 - probably just had the bar set pretty high during this time.*

Man City 2 Man Utd 3 - 2012/13

Liverpool 1 Man Utd 2 - 2014/15 (Juanfield)
Still the most enjoyable game I've watched since Ferguson walked away.

...and that's about it.

I think if I had to pick a top three it would be the two CL finals (not for the performances necessarily) just for the magnitude of those wins at the time and then Juanfield for the dominance from start to finish.

Matches like the 8-2 were good fun obviously but when you spank a team 8-2 it's more comedy than enjoyment when you look back at it.

Last edited:

Handré1990

8-1 vs Nottingham Forest in the treble season. That was the first year I followed the club closely, and didn’t miss a single match. That away game was crazy. Solskjær, who was a personal favorite, came on and scored four. First sub to score four and the biggest away win in the prem up to that point, I remember the commentators saying.

Of course, that was when we still broke positive records. Felt like anything could happen on any given day.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Think it would have to be the 85 cup final.

Great memories of beating Newcastle away in 96.
Overturning the 2:0 against Barca in 84.
85 semi replay vs liverpool
99 semi replay against arsenal
99 CL final of course

More will come to me

I never EVER tire of watching this again - being there obviously makes it personal but so many reasons to love this game.
  • Firstly, that Everton team was a really good side?!
  • A perfect example of the United "nothing is impossible" attitude
  • First red card in a final. This is one of the interesting points when you watch it again.... United players pretty relaxed after the foul/sure it'd be a yellow, Motson said probably yellow, the shock when he got a red, Peter Reid hobbling to the ref to say "come on, that doesn't need a red?". Man, times have changed... nowadays, the opposition would surround the ref, harangue him for a red, the fouled player would look like he'd been shot and roll seventeen times?
  • Stapleton sacrificed to defence and playing AMAZING
  • Every United player upping their effort - seemed to affect us positively
  • United fans upping their noise
  • The ref letting stuff go for United (like McGrath launching Reid)
  • The man child that was Norman Whiteside
  • The amazing fans (both sides) - F A Cup used to be huge?
  • The goal.... about 5:00 in. Still gives me goosebumps
  • The roar when the final whistle went

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Just made it yesterday. What a game! I envy those who were at the Old Trafford that evening.

The atmosphere was electric. I have never known anything like it before or since. I could literally feel the hair on my neck standing up.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
For one i watched live it has to be the 8-2. Fecking ridiculous. The stadium was absolutely rocking as you can imagine and outside the stadium was wild. Good times.

As for on TV, obviously the two champions league finals that we won. I was in Florida for the 1999 one and it's just something that you'll obviously never forget. But the game against City at Old Trafford when Owen scored right at the end. I screamed so much i lost my voice. Haven't had too many of those moments since!

Frank Grimes

Our 6-2 away win v Newcastle in 02/03. We went one down to a wonder strike from Jenas but had the game won at half time when we went 4-1 up. The quality of the goals and the important stage of the season just made it a special victory. Scholar hat-trick too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Villa 2-3 United - FA Cup 3rd round tie 01/02 season. 2-0 down to win 3-0, one of the earliest United games I can remember

United 5-1 Fulham 06/07 season - best opening game to a new season ever. The level of attacking football that day and that season was just :drool:

United 7-1 Roma 06/07 season - Fergie always had us play a European game in the Champions League but this one one of the few times we played it like it was a PL game and the Italians just couldn't handle our pace and power. Alan Smith :devil:

Those 3 off the top of my head though 02/03 had plenty of great games, and there's been some in recent years as well due to individual performances (De Gea v Everton during LVG's tenure, Rashford last season against Liverpool)

Irwin99

The 4-2 game at Highbury seemed the most intense match imaginable with all the rivalry between the players. After a fairly even first half our midfield just totally bossed the game in the second half. We got accused of kicking them off the pitch in the earlier game at OT that season (with some justification) but it's not an exaggeration to say that we outplayed the Invincibles that day.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Too many but to be different and avoid the more obvoius games Porto 4-0 was a beauty and watching Giggs destroy them was a joy to behold. Chelsea 4-0 Too in the FA Cup Final. Kancheslskis destroying them wow! That was beautiful.

Saying that, Juventus in the semi final where we came back from behind and when Keano knew he would miss the final. Wow that was amazing. Probably the best and most determined and selfless performance I have ever seen. Great fecking game too!

noelyman

Unquestionably the 99 FA Cup Semi v Arsenal for me. Made even more special because me and my mates were near the touchline and in the euphoria of Giggsy's goal and shirtless celebration we ended up on the pitch celebrating with Giggs, Butt, Neville and co. Ended up in loads of photos and replays of the goal so noone can ever dispute that I was there. Would even forgive Giggs his chestwig because his goal was that good :)

Reactions: jojojo

Yagami

Good post resistant
Probably the 4-2 at Highbury.

That game is so hard to find. I had the full match downloaded a while back but my laptop died and that was that gone.

Keane and Scholes dominating Vieira again, Rooney and Ronaldo showing their promise, Giggs rolling back the years, Fletcher showing his promise, too. It was an amazing game all round.

mykelawrence

v Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final, 98/99. The game had literally everything - great goals, a red card, missed penalty, a disallowed goal, extra time, and one of the best goals the club has ever scored.

v Fiorentina at OT, 99/00. One of the most scintillating games of football I have ever seen. Batistuta's goal was amazing, as was our comeback.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Preseason versus Celtic, a 3-1 win on July 16, 2010 in Toronto. The first and only time I've seen the team in the flesh. I got really wasted so I don't remember much. Think I saw Giggsy's ex-missus and yelled "Johnny, Johnny give us a wave" at O'Shea which was apparently loudly enough for the whole stadium to hear
I'm surprised you've not made the trip over Dwayne.

Irwin99

Some of the 3-1 and 3-2 games against Liverpool at Anfield in the mid/late nineties were mental. It was a joy to watch as their side had so many players that would crumble under the pressure of the occasion (James in particular).

Sir Scott McToMinay

4-0 vs Porto 1996/1997
First time I felt this team was good enough to win the CL, a KO round match and it really felt like for the first time, we’ve arrived on the biggest stage.

3-2 vs Juve 1997/1998
The were the ones to beat, and we did it in real style with some amazing football and great football goals by Giggs and Teddy, also I think Del Piero scored after a minute.

3-2 vs Juve 1998/1999
Again, they’ve really had it all. The could outplay anyone and they could bully anyone physically.

They were a one match away from
their fourth consecutive CL final and this was that match.
Coming back from 2 nil down against them seemed unfathomable at the time and we did it, I think this was the first time that season that I’ve felt we were destined ( I was 12...) to win the treble.

4-2 vs Arsenal 2004/2005
One of the most entertaining and craziest football matches I’ve ever watched.

8-2
I did not like Arsenal, or Wenger, to say the least.
I actually felt slightly disappointed with the final whistle, I wanted 10.

1-0 vs Chelsea 2010/2011 CL
Thought we were going to get rinsed with a midfield 2 of Carrick and Giggs, I was wrong.

7-1 vs Roma 2006/2007
We were flying that night, miss that team a lot.

5-3 vs Spurs 2001/2002
The early days of Veron and RvN, what a comeback.
Ah, that team could’ve been good if we’ve had an actual defence or a Gk.

2-1 vs Bayern CL FINAL
Yea, this is the one.
What an awful awful match that was.
I was beyond excited to see us in a CL final and nothing was going our way, they’ve really had an answer to everything we tried, I don’t think we’ve had anything close to a goal-scoring chance before our first goal.
As a matter of fact we looked a lot like our current team, the post SAF team that night.

It’s kind of weird being a supporter and knowing that I’ll never feel like this again because of a football match.
There’s no way that will happen to me in my lifetime again, I guess it’s both a positive and a negative but it’s well worth it.
Few football supporters throughout history felt that way because of a football match, or ever will.
It was like mdma without the comedown.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
F.A cup v Liverpool 99

Newcastle 1-0 St James Park

Arsenal 8-2 and 4-2 (Highbury)

Red_Ramirez

Arsenal Semi-Final Replay 1999

Was 19yrs old at the time. Watched it at home with friends, a couple of Reds and a couple of Gooners. Remember it like it was yesterday

That game had everything!!!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Every comeback victory. Those are so special moments. If i must pick one then 3-2 win against Juve. Keane, Yorke, Cole

simplyared

European Cup Final v Benfica, 68
1-1 match in the balance. Eusebio free with only Stepney to beat, you could hear a pin drop, would have won it for them, but no, he blasts it straight at the keeper and it goes to extra time. They're knackered, finished and we batter them, 3 more goals, Bestie rounds the goalie, poetry in motion! Johnny Aston MOM unbelievable! The holy grail! Busby! Munich! You name it! I was there and nothing in football can top that!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I suppose this will be a very odd choice but for a match at the stadium I am going to pick the cup game against West Brom right after George Best died.

I can't remember the year off the top of my head but I do remember Ronaldo and Rossi being superb.

I have never heard an atmosphere like it before or since and the West Brom supporters were magnificent in their respect.

Canagel

The 3-2 vs Villa, 4-3 vs City were very special but I have to say Roma 7-1. The peak of our attacking football. Everything a United performance must be.
In recent years beating Liverpool 1-2 at Anfield as well and dominating the game in a way we never do there.