What could have been of Ricardo Quaresma ?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He said he is going to the US or China when his Besiktas contract ends.
I would love to see him in MLS he would get so much coverage and would be treated like a king. What he can do with a ball no one in MLS has seen yet.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I would love to see him in MLS he would get so much coverage and would be treated like a king. What he can do with a ball no one in MLS has seen yet.
He gave the interview where he said that after the Euro win but with his personality, he will go to where they pay the most money. Those gold rings and necklaces are expensive.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Poster boy for the fact that being a world class talent doesn't automatically make you a world class player.

Had a good career none the less, but could've been much better. If only Dirk Kuyt would've been blessed with the amount of talent Quaresma has. If only.

Schneckerl

Had a decent career in the end. Far from the worst failed hyped talent.

Bobski

How do Quaremsa and Nani compare? Talent/Peak/Career/level of underachievement?

Both supreme talents with incredible highlight reels but you could say that neither reached, or sustained what they could have. Nani had the better career, so far for me, was a key part of a great Utd team and even past his peak he made a major contribution to Portugal winning the EC.

Quaresma might have been more talented, hard to tell.

SportingCP96

Supports
How do Quaremsa and Nani compare? Talent/Peak/Career/level of underachievement?

Both supreme talents with incredible highlight reels but you could say that neither reached, or sustained what they could have. Nani had the better career, so far for me, was a key part of a great Utd team and even past his peak he made a major contribution to Portugal winning the EC.

Quaresma might have been more talented, hard to tell.
A little late reply but Nani had the better career and arguably reached his high point in the 2010 2011 season. Quaresma never reached his peak. In terms of talent RQ7 is for sure the more talented of the two. Quaresma underachieved for sure while Nani fell off after the 2011/12 season. From 2009/10 to 2011/12 Nani was fantastic.

SportingCP96

Supports
Just has to bump this to say that RQ7 ability to cross the ball so efficiently is beautiful. Carry on now.

Bobski

A little late reply but Nani had the better career and arguably reached his high point in the 2010 2011 season. Quaresma never reached his peak. In terms of talent RQ7 is for sure the more talented of the two. Quaresma underachieved for sure while Nani fell off after the 2011/12 season. From 2009/10 to 2011/12 Nani was fantastic.
Pretty much how I see it, a little sad that Quaresma never made the impact his talent demanded at Barca/Inter or even in that short spell at Chelsea. Porto and Besiktas have seen the best of him. Fun player to watch, unique mastery with the outside of the foot and surprising longevity. Hope he makes an impact at this WC, with Nani probably out of the way he might be featured more than in other tournaments.

I miss Nani, frustrating but capable of match winning brilliance, a pity that the injuries post 2012 damaged his career, because he was excellent for 2 years for Utd.

SportingCP96

Supports
Pretty much how I see it, a little sad that Quaresma never made the impact his talent demanded at Barca/Inter or even in that short spell at Chelsea. Porto and Besiktas have seen the best of him. Fun player to watch, unique mastery with the outside of the foot and surprising longevity. Hope he makes an impact at this WC, with Nani probably out of the way he might be featured more than in other tournaments.

I miss Nani, frustrating but capable of match winning brilliance, a pity that the injuries post 2012 damaged his career, because he was excellent for 2 years for Utd.
3 years imo that he showed his true quality at United. Its a shame that he won't make the WC this year will be the first time I don't see him in the national team in a long while. The only time Nani began to look like Nani again was when he came back home to Sporting. He was a joy to have back in Lisbon and found his mojo. Then he left and it went down hill again. Hope to see Nani come home again in the mold that Feyenoord for example have been able to bring back a lot of their prodigal sons.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Nani missing the World Cup in 2010 is still one of the saddest football moments for me, he was incredible then. We ended up playing Danny instead :lol:

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
It's obvious that he lacks something that Ronaldo has, the difference between being an extremely talented player and being an extremely talented player who works like a Trojan to get the absolute 100% best out of that talent. Kind of like that Michael Laudrup thread in a sense, it's slightly hard to say he didn't achieve what he should have, given the pile of medals he won, but he could have been more than he was. He also didn't make the good career choice Ronaldo did. Ronaldo signed for Man Utd who were achieving things and he got to learn under a legendary manager. Quaresma signed for Barca at a time when everything was going wrong for the club and it just wasn't the place and time to truly develop that talent.

SportingCP96

Supports
Nani missing the World Cup in 2010 is still one of the saddest football moments for me, he was incredible then. We ended up playing Danny instead :lol:
He was doing fantastic in the friendlies leading up to that World Cup as well. Truly sad he didn't go. And yes Danny was and has always been terrible :lol:

Bobski

3 years imo that he showed his true quality at United. Its a shame that he won't make the WC this year will be the first time I don't see him in the national team in a long while. The only time Nani began to look like Nani again was when he came back home to Sporting. He was a joy to have back in Lisbon and found his mojo. Then he left and it went down hill again. Hope to see Nani come home again in the mold that Feyenoord for example have been able to bring back a lot of their prodigal sons.
Only 31 still, though no point sitting on the bench at Lazio, or Valencia if he returns. I only saw snippets of him for Valencia but it seemed as if he would do well, have a couple of strong games, then get injured, miss a few and have to start again.

Is it possible he might get a WC place just on trust, not much was expected of him at the EC but he had a fine tournament, played intelligently and worked for the team, was delighted for him.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
It's obvious that he lacks something that Ronaldo has, the difference between being an extremely talented player and being an extremely talented player who works like a Trojan to get the absolute 100% best out of that talent. Kind of like that Michael Laudrup thread in a sense, it's slightly hard to say he didn't achieve what he should have, given the pile of medals he won, but he could have been more than he was. He also didn't make the good career choice Ronaldo did. Ronaldo signed for Man Utd who were achieving things and he got to learn under a legendary manager. Quaresma signed for Barca at a time when everything was going wrong for the club and it just wasn't the place and time to truly develop that talent.
I don't think it was a lack of focus or that he lost his way, he might not work as hard as Ronaldo but he's always seemed hardworking and to geniunely love the sport. It's a weird one and I think it was a combination of many different reasons that prevented Quaresma from reaching his full potential, bad career choices being just one of them.

I don't like seeing people talk about him as a failure though, the guy is 35, we were playing in Switzerland and as he's coming on the pitch he gets the biggest ovation of the night. That says it all

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Is it possible he might get a WC place just on trust, not much was expected of him at the EC but he had a fine tournament, played intelligently and worked for the team, was delighted for him.
After some of the terrible individual performances tonight I wouldn't mind it at all but I doubt it will happen unless there's an injury

izec

I don't think it was a lack of focus or that he lost his way, he might not work as hard as Ronaldo but he's always seemed hardworking and to geniunely love the sport. It's a weird one and I think it was a combination of many different reasons that prevented Quaresma from reaching his full potential, bad career choices being just one of them.

I don't like seeing people talk about him as a failure though, the guy is 35, we were playing in Switzerland and as he's coming on the pitch he gets the biggest ovation of the night. That says it all
People will always lap up the argument of a failure. There are some who think Laudrup failed, because he didnt maximise his potential. Or even Rooney, always the comparison with Ronaldo of both being talismans here and then look at Ronaldo's titles vs Rooneys, some (quite a lot) would see it as a failure compared to the time they both broke through and their achievements now. Same for Quaresma here. There should be a distinguishment between not fulfilling your full potential and being a failure.

Velvet Revolver

I know I'm a Sporting fan and I'm supposed to hate the guy but it's impossible to do so even though he's a cnut. He's crazy and he could have been better but he's had an incredible career nevertheless. Football is missing more players like Ricardo Quaresma, I don't care where it is or how much it costs but if Quaresma is playing a game of football I'd pay to watch it. One of the most entertaining players and characters football has ever seen.
This. I don't care if he never became an efficient machine or that he never fulfilled whatever was his potential. Quaresma is football entertainment and I would much prefer to watch that than robotic players who are having 'better' careers.
Pretty much this. He is someone I really liked watching play and not all footballers can do that. As a neutral, he was a treat to watch and I always wondered why he didn't do well, I guess if you took his flair away then you take his play away and he has nothing else to entertain others with.

For every Ronaldo, there is Quaresma who proves talent is not enough to get to the heights, and for every Quaresma, there is a Valencia who will prove you that hard work alone is good enough to make it to the highest level.:)

Reactions: Penna

SportingCP96

Supports
Good video of Ronaldo and Quaresma destroying Brazil and being easily both a level above everyone on the pitch that day.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Good video of Ronaldo and Quaresma destroying Brazil and being easily both a level above everyone on the pitch that day.

Joga bonito :devil:

That was over 11 years ago. People say Quaresma doesn't work hard enough but you don't get his longevity without a lot of hard work and love for the sport. It's crazy to think how long he's been around.

Very happy he got to play a big part in our Euro win and that he got his big moment in a World Cup, 100% deserved after a career where he's been constantly very unlucky for the national team. So many memorable moments in a Portugal shirt but before 2016 he never got any chance to play his part in a tournament.

SportingCP96

Supports
Joga bonito :devil:

That was over 11 years ago. People say Quaresma doesn't work hard enough but you don't get his longevity without a lot of hard work and love for the sport. It's crazy to think how long he's been around.

Very happy he got to play a big part in our Euro win and that he got his big moment in a World Cup, 100% deserved after a career where he's been constantly very unlucky for the national team. So many memorable moments in a Portugal shirt but before 2016 he never got any chance to play his part in a tournament.
His talent is undeniable and on his day such a joy to watch. Imagine being a coach those years ago and having two wingers on each flank able to absolutely skin your defenders and leave them for dead. Its a fullbacks nightmare.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ravel would probably love to have the career Quaresma has had, given that he's what, in Mexico now? I remember him as a teenager and people were dreaming of the next Portuguese wonder (Figo at Barca was a pretty insane winger).

I've followed Portugal for a while now and he can be a very selfish player, with his decision making letting him down. He's got exquisite skill but without the right mentality players won't realise their potential. Ronaldo has super natural drive and was also taught well by Scholes and Keane in the training ground, helping him grow up and become more efficient.

SportingCP96

Supports
Ricardo Quaresma is being rumored to be on the verge of terminating his contract with Besiktas and returning to Porto on a free transfer. He is 35 now and certainly he would be retiring in Portugal now. Would be happy to have him back in the league. He is not the type of player to play SC style of football of hard pressing and tracking back but I dont think any Porto fan would say no.

This is a video of him this season.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
He's still a bit of a moron though, gets sent off all the time for it.

He's not good enugh to play for Porto anymore, I doubt they'll take him back.

SportingCP96

Supports
He's still a bit of a moron though, gets sent off all the time for it.

He's not good enugh to play for Porto anymore, I doubt they'll take him back.
Turkish media reporting its pretty much done.

SportingCP96

Supports
One of my favourite players of all time. Feels like end of an era.
Same I keep trying to ignore that he is 35. Also now the reports are saying that he changed his mind and is staying at Besiktas so now I have no clue what's happening haha.

Luke1995

Hey people, I want your help to understand three different moments in Quaresma's career:

Barcelona, Chelsea and Inter. If someone can do a little breakdown of how he first looked and what happened next, would be awesome

It's fair to say, in name and global recognition, these were the three biggest clubs he played for, so what happened ?

RooneyLegend

Vertain players regardless of their natural ability never develop an elite understanding of the game. Many love to just delve into the whole not working hard concept and not focus on the real issue. Football IQ is a lot of the time what differentiates the good from the great players.

He probably never had a coach who could work with him on that. At Porto he was a very good player and he probably made a bad move to go to Inter. Lots of teams that actually try to play more positive football could've used his services.

That transition is difficult. Take Ronaldo and Nani. Nani was still making poor decisions on the regular in his prime, the likes Ronaldo has pretty much completely eliminated from the game.

Then there's the football intelligence off the ball that some players develop and some don't. Quaresma, Robinho, Dos Santos, Nani and Ben Arfa are examples of players who simply never develop that intelligence be it on the ball or off the ball, sometimes both. That is why signing highly talented young players is such a big risk.

RooneyLegend

Hey people, I want your help to understand three different moments in Quaresma's career:

Barcelona, Chelsea and Inter. If someone can do a little breakdown of how he first looked and what happened next, would be awesome

It's fair to say, in name and global recognition, these were the three biggest clubs he played for, so what happened ?
At Barca he was still very young. Played second fiddle to the very talented big time players that they had. He had minutes here and there but not enough. He left and went to Porto where he became arguably the best player in the Portuguese league.

He then moved to Inter where he found himself on the bench again. Chelsea didn't play him either. It really is a story of very little game time at big clubs where as at Porto he was pretty much the first name on the team sheet.

Luke1995

At Barca he was still very young. Played second fiddle to the very talented big time players that they had. He had minutes here and there but not enough. He left and went to Porto where he became arguably the best player in the Portuguese league.

He then moved to Inter where he found himself on the bench again. Chelsea didn't play him either. It really is a story of very little game time at big clubs where as at Porto he was pretty much the first name on the team sheet.
Thank you! Think he was never suited to the way Mourinho wanted that Inter team to play, right ?

SportingCP96

Supports
He went to Barcelona with the perception he would get many minutes like he was at Sporting. He also did not like all the strict rules and how he had to track back and not have so much time on the ball.

At Porto Jesualdo Ferreira gave him free reign on the pitch and said he did not want to contain Quaresma as that will hinder his world class ability. Safe to say it worked as he was lighting up the league and CL with World class performances.

Inter was a horrible team for him as was Jose. Jose made him stop doing his signature trivela and that upset him, he tried to make him change his whole play style which murdered his confidence.

Chelsea he showed glimpses of quality but was mis coached.

He was world class and he has/had world class ability and there were things he can do with the ball that 90% of players in the world could not. His temper, his discipline, and his focus/drive hindered him from blossoming. His Porto version was just a taste of what he could do.

Young Ronaldo would breeze past players in the EPL with his skill on the ball....Ronaldo never had the technical ability Quaresma had and coming out of the Sporting academy everyone was convinced he was the bigger talent.

In the end of the day he found happiness in his career and really matured as he grew older and wiser, this culminated In him being a key player in Portugals Euro triumph.

I still remember when him and Ronnie tore Brazil to shreds, they literally could not stop him.