What could have been of Ricardo Quaresma ?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
To start off I would like to say I have not posted in a VERY long time but I always keep up with the caf just been busy with life anyways on to the thread it self.

I have seen many threads and people commenting about Ravel Morrison and his talent and what could have been which really got me thinking of another player with talent that most players can only dream of.
That player in question is none other then Ricardo Quaresma a name I'm sure many on here have heard of before.

He came through the youth ranks of Sporting's famed academy alongside Cristiano Ronaldo both were touted for great things but both went very separate ways. While both at the academy Quaresma was dubbed the more naturally talented of the two and the one to have a better career. As we all know that did not exactly happen while Ronaldo went on to win 5 world player of the year awards and being in the conversation as arguably the GOAT along side Messi, Quaresma has lingered around the Turkish super liga (no disrespect) and the Portuguese league. One thing tho stays to be true Quaresma was always the more naturally gifted of the two and his ability on the ball is quite remarkable. His skills and attacking ability added with his phenomenal crossing ability gives him all the traits to have become one of the games elite wingers sadly that did not happen. To be a top player you can not rely only on natural ability but you need that mental aspect of the game and drive to be competitive and to want to do better something he never had and that he also admitted to. Whoever saw Quaresma in his first stint in Porto knows how good he could have become. Anyways I know this was a very random thread to start but it was something that was on my mind. Lastly hello to all the Portuguese members and to all the caf members in general!

I will leave you all some videos showcasing his talents. What do you guys make of Ricardo Quarsema?

TsuWave

was always a very talented player. don't know why it didn't happen for him, according to you he admitted not having the hunger so maybe that reflected in training and managers picked up on it. sometimes being so talented can be counterproductive as you can coast doing the bare minimum and that leads to stagnation and whatnot

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
was always a very talented player. don't know why it didn't happen for him, according to you he admitted not having the hunger so maybe that reflected in training and managers picked up on it. sometimes being so talented can be counterproductive as you can coast doing the bare minimum and that leads to stagnation and whatnot
Talented youngsters get by without having to work too hard because they're just better and no amount of effort from anyone else is going to stop that being true.

They get snapped up by an academy and suddenly they're surrounded by other people just as talented which is when it becomes sink or swim time. They either work hard and shine, or coast and slip through the net. For some, they are supremely talented and that still shows while they're in the youth ranks.

Those that make it into senior setups (or the cusp of) are now not just surrounded by people just as talented, but by many who are far more experienced. If you've made it this far without having to work and you're now 18-24, it will be very difficult to shake that mentality.

ghagua

Was a huge fan of his before Ronaldo arrived on the scene. Was devastated when he signed for Barcelona. Shame it did not work out for him. Not sure if it's his work ethic or whatever that held him back from becoming truly elite.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
During UEFA Euro 2004, he announced his refusal to play for Barça as long as Frank Rijkaard was in charge.

Quaresma was criticised during his first year with Porto for being selfish and frequently trying to dribble past defenders rather than making a simple pass.

"He is a great talent, but the joy I have at seeing the way Ibra works for and with the team I do not yet have with Quaresma. He will have to learn, otherwise he won’t play, and I am sure he'll change and become more tactically disciplined."

Following the 3–1 defeat to Atlético Madrid in the first leg of the 2011–12 Europa League on 8 March 2012, Quaresma had an altercation with manager Carlos Carvalhal in the dressing room at half-time after Carvalhal substituted Quaresma for İsmail Köybaşı. Reportedly, Quaresma did not take the news lightly and began throwing water bottles before launching a stinging attack at Carvalhal. Quaresma allegedly said, "I brought you here, you just think of yourself. If I was not here, [Carvalhal] would not be here. You can not remove me from the match because you're nothing." Following the incident with Carvalhal, the club suspended Quaresma
Sounds like he has/had a bad attitude. Pretty much the opposite of Ronaldo who, apart from being a bit of a diva, is a great professional.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Talented youngsters get by without having to work too hard because they're just better and no amount of effort from anyone else is going to stop that being true.

They get snapped up by an academy and suddenly they're surrounded by other people just as talented which is when it becomes sink or swim time. They either work hard and shine, or coast and slip through the net. For some, they are supremely talented and that still shows while they're in the youth ranks.

Those that make it into senior setups (or the cusp of) are now not just surrounded by people just as talented, but by many who are far more experienced. If you've made it this far without having to work and you're now 18-24, it will be very difficult to shake that mentality.
Basically, this. We all know tons of players like this from our respective countries. In Germany, someone like Marin springs to mind, although on a lesser level. In today’s football, United’s own George Best might have become a similar case.

SportingCP96

Supports
I like and agree with what you said at the end because he has World class talent and he maybe thought that could take him the whole way through which made him stagnate especially when he played at bigger teams. In Barcelona was the exception as it was the wrong move for him. As for Inter mourinho is a very tactical couch and Quaresma is a player who needs freedom on the pitch to showcase all of his natural ability and only one coach really understood that whuc was Jesulado Ferreira at Porto who said stricting him and letting him be free to showcase all his natural ability would turn him into an average player instead of the genius he is.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
When Ronaldo and Quaresma were first mentioned here around 2001/02 - it was generally Quaresma who was more highly thought of. Just shows how raw skills and talent are only just that without an incredible work ethic to spur them to new heights.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sounds like he has/had a bad attitude. Pretty much the opposite of Ronaldo who, apart from being a bit of a diva, is a great professional.
That's exactly it tbh he is a player who needs to be loved by the fans and coach that is what sparks him. Similar to Nani the difference is Nani was able to show the peak of his talents at the highest level in the 2010/2011 season. Quaresma was never able to tho being the more talented player.

JoaquinJoaquin

Quaresma is one of my favourite players of all time regardless of his failed spells at Barca and Inter.

He has still had a fantastic career; A legend at Porto, an Icon in Besiktas and a Euro's and Champions League cup winner.

SportingCP96

Supports
When Ronaldo and Quaresma were first mentioned here around 2001/02 - it was generally Quaresma who was more highly thought of. Just shows how raw skills and talent are only just that without an incredible work ethic to spur them to new heights.
Yep it was always said eve today I believe he is the more naturally gifted but his work ethic is nothing close to that of Ronaldos.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why isn't Ben Arfa a world class player, why is Emre Mor struggling for minutes at a club like Celta? Because talent is only half of the equation and without maturity, intelligence (at least on the pitch) and work ethic you won't be more than a midtable hero.

SportingCP96

Supports
Quaresma is one of my favourite players of all time regardless of his failed spells at Barca and Inter.

He has still had a fantastic career; A legend at Porto, an Icon in Besiktas and a Euro's and Champions League cup winner.
Also one of my favorites if you or anyone else saw the videos above you cans ee how much of a joy he is to watch . It makes you wonder how much better he could have become.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
One thing he's better at than Ronaldo: outside of the boot shots. I like seeing those. :drool:

bebeanderson

People forget that football is a job. Like in all jobs, there are talented guys, and there are talented guys who will putting in the shifts and the extra hours, and the passion day in and day out. The latter are the ones coming out on top.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
One thing he's better at than Ronaldo: outside of the boot shots. I like seeing those. :drool:
From Wiki... this about sums him up for me

former Inter boss José Mourinho stated:

He is a great talent, but the joy I have at seeing the way Ibra works for and with the team I do not yet have with Quaresma. He will have to learn, otherwise he won’t play, and I am sure he'll change and become more tactically disciplined. He likes kicking the ball with the outside of his foot, but if you ask me about him in a few months' time, we'll be talking about a different Quaresma."[7][8]
His time in Italy was not considered a success, with him being given the Bidone d'oro award for the worst footballer in Serie A for 2008.[9]

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He wany anything special when you think of so many other footballers who were amazing on the all as a youngster but didn't go on to achieve much.

Professional football requires a lot of intelligence and reading of the game than just on the ball skill. Adel Taraabt has more skill on the ball than mctominay but he's not a starter for united

Overall I don't think he had the talent because people forget having a strong mentality and good reading of the game is also part of being talented.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He still had a good career nevertheless. Technique wise he is one of the best I've seen and he did this kind of stuff pretty often.

SportingCP96

Supports
He still had a good career nevertheless. Technique wise he is one of the best I've seen and he did this kind of stu
He still had a good career nevertheless. Technique wise he is one of the best I've seen and he did this kind of stuff pretty often.

And he still does do it too technically brilliant if you ask me

Classical Mechanic

Basically, this. We all know tons of players like this from our respective countries. In Germany, someone like Marin springs to mind, although on a lesser level. In today’s football, United’s own George Best might have become a similar case.
Best won the Ballon D'Or and was considered by many the best about in 68 when United won the European Cup. Who knows what his ceiling was if he wasn't an alcoholic.

SportingCP96

Supports
He wany anything special when you think of so many other footballers who were amazing on the all as a youngster but didn't go on to achieve much.

Professional football requires a lot of intelligence and reading of the game than just on the ball skill. Adel Taraabt has more skill on the ball than mctominay but he's not a starter for united

Overall I don't think he had the talent because people forget having a strong mentality and good reading of the game is also part of being talented.
I am going to have to disagree with you because he can very well read the game and is a world class talent i think that much cant be debated. Now his work ethic and discipline is what was his downfall.

Web of Bissaka

Flashy, highly technical, yet no right mentality.

:drool: Sick outside of the boot shoot/cross skill though.
^ I'll forever remember him because of this sick skill of his, so good, flawless, elegant.

SportingCP96

Supports
Flashy, highly technical, yet no right mentality.

:drool: Sick outside of the boot shoot/cross skill though.
^ I'll forever remember him because of this sick skill of his, so good, flawless, elegant.
Probably the best I have ever seen doing the Trivela and Rabona so efficient with it . Who needs a left foot when you can do that aha
Ohh and very flashy indeed :drool:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hugo Viana was another one who came through at that time at Sporting. Went to Newcastle and couldn't impose himself there and his career fizzled out.

SportingCP96

Supports
Hugo Viana was another one who came through at that time at Sporting. Went to Newcastle and couldn't impose himself there and his career fizzled out.
Viana was a talented midfielder and his best stint was in Braga but I think he never had the ability to play for a TOP TOP club more so a mid table team in England or a team like Braga who are easily the 4th best team in Portugal. Similar to that of Renato Sanches who I simply have never rated.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am not sure he was ever a complete package. He was always just about the skills, more a freestyler than a top talent all around footballer for me, so I never really got the hype around him.

SportingCP96

Supports
I am not sure he was ever a complete package. He was always just about the skills, more a freestyler than a top talent all around footballer for me, so I never really got the hype around him.
His crossing ability is up there with the lot he can place the ball like a dime on any players head and has a decent shot on him as well has scored some crackers.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s had a great career and won pretty much everything. He may not have become a world class player that he should have become but he’s done well.

On a personal level, I’d rather watch his YouTube videos over most other players. His Porto videos from his first stint were mesmerising.

SportingCP96

Supports
He’s had a great career and won pretty much everything. He may not have become a world class player that he should have become but he’s done well.

On a personal level, I’d rather watch his YouTube videos over most other players. His Porto videos from his first stint were mesmerising.
In the first video I posted about him which it shows his "Top 20 skills " the one at number 3 vs Setubel was breathtaking.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Viana was a talented midfielder and his best stint was in Braga but I think he never had the ability to play for a TOP TOP club more so a mid table team in England or a team like Braga who are easily the 4th best team in Portugal. Similar to that of Renato Sanches who I simply have never rated.
Newcastle were actually pretty good in those days, not the relegation threatened version they are now. Played regularly in the CL back then.

His problem was the usual for his type, little bit too lightweight and slow for English football. Newcastle had a very strong middle also, Laurent Robert, Gary Speed, Jenas, Solano, Bowyer and Kieron Dyer all options when he joined the squad.

SportingCP96

Supports
I
Newcastle were actually pretty good in those days, not the relegation threatened version they are now. Played regularly in the CL back then.

His problem was the usual for his type, little bit too lightweight and slow for English football. Newcastle had a very strong middle also, Laurent Robert, Gary Speed, Jenas, Solano, Bowyer and Kieron Dyer all options when he joined the squad.
I remember that team from there UEFA cup Clash with Sporting but nonetheless I don’t think he was good enough to cut it at the top clubs . I should say tho that I did like Hugo Viana especially at Braga .

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I know I'm a Sporting fan and I'm supposed to hate the guy but it's impossible to do so even though he's a cnut. He's crazy and he could have been better but he's had an incredible career nevertheless. Football is missing more players like Ricardo Quaresma, I don't care where it is or how much it costs but if Quaresma is playing a game of football I'd pay to watch it. One of the most entertaining players and characters football has ever seen.

Pretty funny how for all the tricks he's done throughout the years his career highlight will be a tap in against Croatia. He wasn't even that good but I'll never forget his Euro 2016, the cross against Hungary, the goal against Croatia, the penalty against Poland, the nutmegs on Allen in the semis and the headlock on Koscielny in the final. There were 3 minutes to go in the Euros final and the guy was doing rabona passes :lol:

He's a big game player, on a good day he's one of the best crossers I've ever seen and he's going to go the World Cup where he'll have his last chance to show some magic on the big stage. Despite being disapointing overall considering his potential, it's a career full of highlights that plenty of people will never forget. He's geniunely idolized by a huge amount of people here and he's a legend at Porto. He didn't actually fulfill his potential but you can't ask to achieve more than what he's done.

SportingCP96

Supports
I know I'm a Sporting fan and I'm supposed to hate the guy but it's impossible to do so even though he's a cnut. He's crazy and he could have been better but he's had an incredible career nevertheless. Football is missing more players like Ricardo Quaresma, I don't care where it is or how much it costs but if Quaresma is playing a game of football I'd pay to watch it. One of the most entertaining players and characters football has ever seen.

Pretty funny how for all the tricks he's done throughout the years his career highlight will be a tap in against Croatia. He wasn't even that good but I'll never forget his Euro 2016, the cross against Hungary, the goal against Croatia, the penalty against Poland, the nutmegs on Allen in the semis and the headlock on Koscielny in the final. There were 3 minutes to go in the Euros final and the guy was doing rabona passes :lol:

He's a big game player, on a good day he's one of the best crossers I've ever seen and he's going to go the World Cup where he'll have his last chance to show some magic on the big stage. Despite being disapointing overall considering his potential, it's a career full of highlights that plenty of people will never forget. He's geniunely idolized by a huge amount of people here and he's a legend at Porto. He didn't actually fulfill his potential but you can't ask to achieve more than what he's done.
Great response indeed and as a Sporting fan I agree it’s just impossible to hate this guy. He even has said he has massive respect for Sporting he just enjoys the game and ignites it with his skill and he was a big part coming of the bench in the Euro. As for the Rabona passes in the latter stages of the final ... for some players can be seen as showboating but for him it’s just a natural part of his game .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I remember him and Ronaldo tearing England apart years ago. Think it was an u18 match. They were by far the standout players

SportingCP96

Supports
I remember him and Ronaldo tearing England apart years ago. Think it was an u18 match. They were by far the standout players
Better yet when they absolutely out classed Brazil in that friendly in 06

SportingCP96

Supports
Silly tricks ≠ Talent
You must have not seen a lot of Quaresma then because when you turn those “silly tricks” into opportunities to make chances and score goals and open up the field for your team mates and then being able to cross a ball straight to the head of your teammates THAT IS talent.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Them two taking the piss out of Brazil was even better a few years later. It's crazy that it's 2018 and they're still playing in the national team together as 2 stand out players.

SportingCP96

Supports

Them two taking the piss out of Brazil was even better a few years later. It's crazy that it's 2018 and they're still playing in the national team together as 2 stand out players.
I have never seen this video ! Thank you for sharing !