What could have been of Ricardo Quaresma ?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I am going to have to disagree with you because he can very well read the game and is a world class talent i think that much cant be debated. Now his work ethic and discipline is what was his downfall.
The ability to work hard and have discipline is also no less than a talent so I still stand by saying he just wasn't talented enough.

It's the same as arguing if only Garry Neville had better dribbling he would have been one of the best full backs of all time.

Utdstar01

There was another young Portuguese lad who was meant to be even more talented than Ronaldo or Quaresma but I can't for the life of me think of his name. I know he pissed it all away though...

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The ability to work hard and have discipline is also no less than a talent so I still stand by saying he just wasn't talented enough.

It's the same as arguing if only Garry Neville had better dribbling he would have been one of the best full backs of all time.
I agree that’s half of what makes a truly great player but what I am talking about is the pure natural ability with the football his talent for the game is unquestionable he was very well so talented enough to make it to the top . He didn’t have the worth ethic and discepline those are different though part of what makes a great footballer.

SportingCP96

Supports
There was another young Portuguese lad who was meant to be even more talented than Ronaldo or Quaresma but I can't for the life of me think of his name. I know he pissed it all away though...
Fabio Paim was his name .

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fábio Paim mate. Ronaldo once said: "You think i'm talented? Wait till you see Paim."

Utdstar01

That's the one! Such a shame when you hear stories like that. FM legend back in the day.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That's the one! Such a shame when you hear stories like that. FM legend back in the day.
He had a stint at Chelsea but failed there also. He was there for 4 months but only played in their reserves.

Fraud

You must have not seen a lot of Quaresma then because when you turn those “silly tricks” into opportunities to make chances and score goals and open up the field for your team mates and then being able to cross a ball straight to the head of your teammates THAT IS talent.
You can't measure the talent of a player only with those fantasy plays. There's a lot of factors that you have to consider. And for some reason, that type of player, the one who depends mostly on how "unpredictable" is his style of play, hasn't succed lately at the higest level. I think in Robinho, for example. That guy has endless tricks, but look his career. Not bad, actually, but he ins't an elite player.

And then, other players, who liked to do silly things, like Ronaldo, Girezmann or Sanchez, barely do now. They improved physically and mentally, that was their way to reach the elite, without awful attemps to dribble.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I agree that’s half of what makes a truly great player but what I am talking about is the pure natural ability with the football his talent for the game is unquestionable he was very well so talented enough to make it to the top . He didn’t have the worth ethic and discepline those are different though part of what makes a great footballer.
Well, one thing for sure is that he is still a very entertaining footballer. I think he had a decent career. Will be fun to see him and Ronaldo one last time coming world cup

JoaquinJoaquin

He had a stint at Chelsea but failed there also. He was there for 4 months but only played in their reserves.
He did play in the first team. I recall he had a good debut and was excellent in an FA cup tie but then Scolari was sacked and Ancelotti didn't take a shine to him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was at the Brazil v Portugal game at the emirates when He and Cristiano were toying with Brazil. Best live performance I’ve seen

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He did play in the first team. I recall he had a good debut and was excellent in an FA cup tie but then Scolari was sacked and Ancelotti didn't take a shine to him.
I was talking about Paim mate. About Quaresma you are correct.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Are we on about Quaresma or this Fabio guy? Big Phil signed Quaresma and he hardly got off the bench.

SportingCP96

Supports
You can't measure the talent of a player only with those fantasy plays. There's a lot of factors that you have to consider. And for some reason, that type of player, the one who depends mostly on how "unpredictable" is his style of play, hasn't succed lately at the higest level. I think in Robinho, for example. That guy has endless tricks, but look his career. Not bad, actually, but he ins't an elite player.

And then, other players, who liked to do silly things, like Ronaldo, Girezmann or Sanchez, barely do now. They improved physically and mentally, that was their way to reach the elite, without awful attemps to dribble.
“Awful attempts to dribble “ when you look at what Ronaldo did in United for example he was a trick pony but when Ferguson taught him that if he did that along with an end product it would be deadly and it was then those were his best years at United. I can think of many flair players who stayed at the top with “fantasy tricks” Ronaldinho and Neymar are 2 that come to mind Ronaldo at United is another that comes to mind the truth is Quaresma always had an end product mostly via assist hence why he succeeded and was mesmerizing to see in Porto and now in Beşiktaş the problem was his unwillingness to listen to being diceplined and thinking that his world class talent and ability was enough. Though just with that he is a motable league winner and a European champion. Your example of Robinho was very different because he was very much a trickster and freestyler but no end product bar a season or 2.

SportingCP96

Supports
I was at the Brazil v Portugal game at the emirates when He and Cristiano were toying with Brazil. Best live performance I’ve seen
This one I remember very well still a video on YouTube I believe .

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There was another young talent in that Portugal under 21 team, think he was called Makakula. Big striker in the mould of Lukaku.

Was always being linked with premier league clubs and then eventually Bolton signed him (guess it was under Big Sam) and he was very very average.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
There was another young talent in that Portugal under 21 team, think he was called Makakula. Big striker in the mould of Lukaku.

Was always being linked with premier league clubs and then eventually Bolton signed him (guess it was under Big Sam) and he was very very average.
Now that's a blast from the past, Makukula. Yeah he was pretty useless. You can't trust portuguese strikers.

SportingCP96

Supports
Now that's a blast from the past, Makukula. Yeah he was pretty useless. You can't trust portuguese strikers.
ya he was garbage I remember him at Benfica. Though currently I have faith in some of our attacking option coming up. I Actually like Andre Silva just think he is at the wrong club and I rate Rafael leao playing in that position as well.

SportingCP96

Supports

Our current crop of talent I would say is up there with our Golden Generation. besides at the center back position there is a lot of talent coming out of Portugal currently.

SportingCP96

Supports
Disregard the horrible music but this was there performance vs Brazil in 06.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know I'm a Sporting fan and I'm supposed to hate the guy but it's impossible to do so even though he's a cnut. He's crazy and he could have been better but he's had an incredible career nevertheless. Football is missing more players like Ricardo Quaresma, I don't care where it is or how much it costs but if Quaresma is playing a game of football I'd pay to watch it. One of the most entertaining players and characters football has ever seen.
This. I don't care if he never became an efficient machine or that he never fulfilled whatever was his potential. Quaresma is football entertainment and I would much prefer to watch that than robotic players who are having 'better' careers.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
To start off I would like to say I have not posted in a VERY long time but I always keep up with the caf just been busy with life anyways on to the thread it self.

I have seen many threads and people commenting about Ravel Morrison and his talent and what could have been which really got me thinking of another player with talent that most players can only dream of.
That player in question is none other then Ricardo Quaresma a name I'm sure many on here have heard of before.

He came through the youth ranks of Sporting's famed academy alongside Cristiano Ronaldo both were touted for great things but both went very separate ways. While both at the academy Quaresma was dubbed the more naturally talented of the two and the one to have a better career. As we all know that did not exactly happen while Ronaldo went on to win 5 world player of the year awards and being in the conversation as arguably the GOAT along side Messi, Quaresma has lingered around the Turkish super liga (no disrespect) and the Portuguese league. One thing tho stays to be true Quaresma was always the more naturally gifted of the two and his ability on the ball is quite remarkable. His skills and attacking ability added with his phenomenal crossing ability gives him all the traits to have become one of the games elite wingers sadly that did not happen. To be a top player you can not rely only on natural ability but you need that mental aspect of the game and drive to be competitive and to want to do better something he never had and that he also admitted to. Whoever saw Quaresma in his first stint in Porto knows how good he could have become. Anyways I know this was a very random thread to start but it was something that was on my mind. Lastly hello to all the Portuguese members and to all the caf members in general!

I will leave you all some videos showcasing his talents. What do you guys make of Ricardo Quarsema?

Ive had young players playing ball in the park that can do whatever zidane can do, infact put professional footballer in a sunday league they'd look like messi. Doing it against a top pro defender is another thing though.

That's imho the problem, we've seen many youth players tearing up the places not because they have tremendous potential but probably because they're facing developing defenders who looks to develop their skill first.

Trizy

One of my favorite non-United players. When he came on against France in the Euro 2016 final, he changed the game imo. Was brilliant.

I can't answer your question but often ask myself the same question. He's so much talent and makes the game look easy, that's the difference between world class players and good players.

I'd imagine it was hunger but we'll never know. Having said that though, he's had a fantastic career.

SportingCP96

Supports
Ive had young players playing ball in the park that can do whatever zidane can do, infact put professional footballer in a sunday league they'd look like messi. Doing it against a top pro defender is another thing though.

That's imho the problem, we've seen many youth players tearing up the places not because they have tremendous potential but probably because they're facing developing defenders who looks to develop their skill first.
I don't think that can be seen as the case as I have as I'm sure many other members have seen Quaresma run circles around many of the worlds best players. He has done it against Chelsea, Arsenal, Bayern, Belgium, among other teams and players so I don't think its a case of him playing defenders that are not developed. He is 34 and has played against the best of em.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't think that can be seen as the case as I have as I'm sure many other members have seen Quaresma run circles around many of the worlds best players. He has done it against Chelsea, Arsenal, Bayern, Belgium, among other teams and players so I don't think its a case of him playing defenders that are not developed. He is 34 and has played against the best of em.
Yeah, probably there's another factor.

Red00012

He was class in championship manager! too bad it didn’t really work out in real life for him.

Luke1995

I don't think he is a ''could have been'' case, he was a key player in the EURO they won and will likely be in the first XI in this year's WC. Many players can only dream of that. You can argue he failed in his club career, but he's pretty accomplished with the NT.

ti vu

Thing is Quaresma wanted to be the center of the team. His titled is like this: you either play the way I want to play or I don't care.

Moved to Barcelona and he came against Ronaldinho on he rise to become best player in the world. Moved to Inter he was up against Zlatan. Instead of trying to work with the team and honing his talent, he just try to use his raw potential against these guys and left him in the losing side. Ronaldo beside the obvious work ethnic learned to work and use the team to win game. He is selfish in a good way, but as he grows he is not stupidly selfish to the point of throwing the result away for individual glory. Ronaldo became less showboating over time

Quaresma on the other replicate the same theme everywhere he goes. Sure, there are players like the Brazilian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho who thrived through sheer raw talent. They have coaches at their mercy. At the end of the day, Quaresma talent ain't on that level, yet persists with same approach.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I remember him and Ronaldo tearing England apart years ago. Think it was an u18 match. They were by far the standout players

Was that at Goodson park?

I remember we got some free tickets at our youth football club to go watch an England vs Portugal under 18’s both Ronaldo and Quaresma were playing then and they were comfortably a level above the rest.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Really wanted him at Liverpool in the mid 2000s. Was great on Fifa manager mode.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Was that at Goodson park?

I remember we got some free tickets at our youth football club to go watch an England vs Portugal under 18’s both Ronaldo and Quaresma were playing then and they were comfortably a level above the rest.
Sounds like it, as you say they were a class above everyone else. It looked like the 2 of them could step up multiple gears. Made the rest look like plodders! I’d be interested to see the teamsheets from that match, see how many are still playing in the top leagues

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He said he is going to the US or China when his Besiktas contract ends.