What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Roboc7

As a starting point we’re desperate for 5 players.

RB- Neither option we have is anywhere near good enough.
2xCM -without knowing manager hard to know what sort of players we need but we shouldn’t be playing either Fred or Mct every week let alone both.
RW - we don’t have one.
CF - We only have one, he’s 37 and might not even be here next season.

No excuse for not getting 4 out of 5 at least but we all know how this club operates and see no reason why that will have changed.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sign Timber, Antony, Kamara, Laimer, Richarlison, Nunez

Nunez I’m not 100% sure about but we need a goal scorer and we can’t afford Kane or Haaland without blowing budget

this is going to be a 5 year project so don’t expect all to be done in one window

DDG
Timber Maguire Varane Hernandez
Kamara
Laimer Fred
Antony Nunez Richarlison

a solid, hard working midfield who have the stamina to be snapping around for 90 mins.
I’ve chucked young Hernandez in at LB as he’s very good going forward and a classy player on the ball. Defensively he will be helped by the hard workIng Richarlison who also has the explosive pace to make us forget Rashfords Main strength

antony on the other side supplying Nunez

i know this won’t happen because Bruno and Sancho but for me it’s a better balance and just leaves us to sort out CB and GK next window

bench
Heaton, AWB, Lindelof, shaw, Axel, Bruno, Hannibal, DVB, McTominay, Sancho, Garoucho (or however it’s spelled), Matic

loan
Garner for a years PL experience
Laird
Williams
Pellestri
Diallo

selling/releasing
Telles, Jones, Bailly, mata, Ronaldo, Rashford, Henderson, Lingard, Pogba, martial, Dalot, Cavani

some of these players want to leave and others are constantly being hinted at in the media so get rid if they don’t want to be here

In following windows sell anyone who’s not up for fighting for their place and whining too much about being benched

nobody with guarantees, your form is what keeps you in the team nothing else
Maguire, Varane, and Fred will be ~33 in 5 years. I digress this "buying young players and we'll get 10 years of service". How many of them are raging success when they get older, or even make it? Not to count we have to put up with their growing pain (inconsistency, physically not ready, etc.)

We should get players on the cusp of their peak, and mix it with a few youngsters. Players at the age bracket of Carrick, Evra, Vidic, RVN, and Yorke who are ready to step up and (mostly) pretty consistent.

Mainoldo

Maguire, Varane, and Fred will be ~33 in 5 years. I digress this "buying young players and we'll get 10 years of service". How many of them are raging success when they get older, or even make it? Not to count we have to put up with their growing pain (inconsistency, physically not ready, etc.)

We should get players on the cusp of their peak, and mix it with a few youngsters. Players at the age bracket of Carrick, Evra, Vidic, RVN, and Yorke who are ready to step up and (mostly) pretty consistent.
Like Ralf said it’s a 3 window job. Conte done it with Inter. It’s just requires another heavy spend from the club this summer. I was happy with 3 players but we need 5 and we need to get 4 of that 5 spot on. Then again in January and the summer.

Jericho

This is starting to feel pointless. Whatever it is we think we need, CDM, RB, RW, by time we get those positions filled the rot has seemingly set into multiple other positions we thought we had covered and we're back where we started. The problem is deeper than just getting new players in.

jesperjaap

2xCM -without knowing manager hard to know what sort of players we need but we shouldn’t be playing either Fred or Mct every week let alone both.
RW - we don’t have one.

No excuse for not getting 4 out of 5 at least but we all know how this club operates and see no reason why that will have changed.
Would pretty much agree with this signing wise....but we do have a quality right winger and striker in one in Greenwood, who knows what happens there. But forgetting him, we actually have lots fo supposed right wingers Sancho and Elanga can play on the right, yes I know both seem better on the elft, but there is also Pellestri and Amad. Also Ganacho hovering about, that is a lot of young talented players though as of yet, none have really stood up to make the spot there own, well one to a degree who looks more like a striker if he does ever come back anyway

croadyman

We need a whole group of young and hungry players who will run through brick walls. We can no longer paper over cracks with marquee signings. There is a massive hole in the wall.
Yeah sick to the back teeth of signing these so called marquee names who usually flop

jesperjaap

This is starting to feel pointless. Whatever it is we think we need, CDM, RB, RW, by time we get those positions filled the rot has seemingly set into multiple other positions we thought we had covered and we're back where we started. The problem is deeper than just getting new players in.
I agree to a poitn with this. I think a major problem over the last decade has been us not just making poor signings, but too few every window.

Last summer a prime example. We didnt sign the obviously needed minimum of one central midfielder which we still need and despite signing a centre back (when we should have signed too the year we signed Maguire) we need a centr back, we signed a striker and we still need a striker.

First eleven wise we need to sign at least five quality (not by name) signings for the right positions to address this....which we wont. Of coruse we also need to sell double that at elast....we wont. We need to sign the right manager, personally dont think the right ones are avialable this summer and rebuild the whole structure behind the scenes which appears the only thing we are actually starting to do......too slowly

jesperjaap

Sign Timber, Antony, Kamara, Laimer, Richarlison, Nunez

Nunez I’m not 100% sure about but we need a goal scorer and we can’t afford Kane or Haaland without blowing budget

this is going to be a 5 year project so don’t expect all to be done in one window

DDG
Timber Maguire Varane Hernandez
Kamara
Laimer Fred
Antony Nunez Richarlison

a solid, hard working midfield who have the stamina to be snapping around for 90 mins.
I’ve chucked young Hernandez in at LB as he’s very good going forward and a classy player on the ball. Defensively he will be helped by the hard workIng Richarlison who also has the explosive pace to make us forget Rashfords Main strength

antony on the other side supplying Nunez

i know this won’t happen because Bruno and Sancho but for me it’s a better balance and just leaves us to sort out CB and GK next window

bench
Heaton, AWB, Lindelof, shaw, Axel, Bruno, Hannibal, DVB, McTominay, Sancho, Garoucho (or however it’s spelled), Matic

loan
Garner for a years PL experience
Laird
Williams
Pellestri
Diallo

selling/releasing
Telles, Jones, Bailly, mata, Ronaldo, Rashford, Henderson, Lingard, Pogba, martial, Dalot, Cavani

some of these players want to leave and others are constantly being hinted at in the media so get rid if they don’t want to be here

In following windows sell anyone who’s not up for fighting for their place and whining too much about being benched

nobody with guarantees, your form is what keeps you in the team nothing else
So basically sign all the latest players we ar elinke dwith in the press? Love how the wanted signings change weekly to whoever we are linked with.

WOuld like Kamara here, would have been one of my top choices even if not free behind the hugely expensive English options, but those other names woul dprobably be a £200m outlay. Richarlison I loike, but he isnt especialy consistent and lets not forget Everton paid £50m for him, he isnt going cheap and as you allude, he is left sided where we have options, not saying there are better options on th eleft than we have even though not a priority, but £60m+ for Richarlison, if we were signisn a left winger, would be madness to spend that amount on him when there are loads of talented left wingers at the moment would all cost less

jesperjaap

Yeah sick to the back teeth of signing these so called marquee names who usually flop
We signed Dan james, Pellestri, Amad, we have already made cheaper talented yougn signings and we have a whole host of talented youth players that may or may not brak through.

I dont think its about signing big name OR about signing young players who work hard, its simply about signing the right players with the right attitude for the right positions with the rihgt game and there are a few liek that who are both young and marquee, all very expensive.

The thing I dont like about our marquee signings, is they have virtually all been older players past there peaks, even the good ones like Cavani and Ibrahimovic who have done well when fit. We are virtually liek Chelsea in the days of tem signing Vialli and Gulllit all those years back.

What I am sick of is us over spending on in my opnion over rated average players that never suited us, right back to Fellaini but Schneiderlin, Depay, Lindelof, Fred,Lukaku, Dalot, Maguire, Bissaka, VDB,....we spent well over £400m on that lot, and personalyl the only one who excited me as a signing was Bissaka at the time, though despite thinkign he did ok at first, hi slack of progression is abnother failure.

But £400m and the first four all looked really average, Depays hype as a signing was crazy, knew little of Fred and Dalot but the rest were never the right signings, Lukaku Ive never thought much of and Maguires fee with some f the other possible options was madness and the summer we signed VDB we were massively linked with Grealish for example.

I was excited with last summers signings but knew it as never enough with no midfield signings. I really hope this summer we will actually make 5 signings but doubt it and I certainly hope they are all exciting ones that can actually improve our first eleven which very few of that above list ever looked like doing to me personally at the time

Jezpeza

Just has to start with a midfield. It doesnt matter who we have as manager or what formation we play when mcfred are on the pitch. Or matic.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Assemble a functional acedemical football structure and let the do their work. If we don't do this, we'll never get there.

croadyman

RW - we don’t have one.

Yeah needs to be minimum 4 but wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Erik gets fobbed off with just three (DM,ST,CM)

croadyman

We signed Dan james, Pellestri, Amad, we have already made cheaper talented yougn signings and we have a whole host of talented youth players that may or may not brak through.

I dont think its about signing big name OR about signing young players who work hard, its simply about signing the right players with the right attitude for the right positions with the rihgt game and there are a few liek that who are both young and marquee, all very expensive.

The thing I dont like about our marquee signings, is they have virtually all been older players past there peaks, even the good ones like Cavani and Ibrahimovic who have done well when fit. We are virtually liek Chelsea in the days of tem signing Vialli and Gulllit all those years back.

What I am sick of is us over spending on in my opnion over rated average players that never suited us, right back to Fellaini but Schneiderlin, Depay, Lindelof, Fred,Lukaku, Dalot, Maguire, Bissaka, VDB,....we spent well over £400m on that lot, and personalyl the only one who excited me as a signing was Bissaka at the time, though despite thinkign he did ok at first, hi slack of progression is abnother failure.

But £400m and the first four all looked really average, Depays hype as a signing was crazy, knew little of Fred and Dalot but the rest were never the right signings, Lukaku Ive never thought much of and Maguires fee with some f the other possible options was madness and the summer we signed VDB we were massively linked with Grealish for example.

I was excited with last summers signings but knew it as never enough with no midfield signings. I really hope this summer we will actually make 5 signings but doubt it and I certainly hope they are all exciting ones that can actually improve our first eleven which very few of that above list ever looked like doing to me personally at the time
Yeah leaving the midfield like that has certainly proved to be a monumental mistake

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So basically sign all the latest players we ar elinke dwith in the press? Love how the wanted signings change weekly to whoever we are linked with.

WOuld like Kamara here, would have been one of my top choices even if not free behind the hugely expensive English options, but those other names woul dprobably be a £200m outlay. Richarlison I loike, but he isnt especialy consistent and lets not forget Everton paid £50m for him, he isnt going cheap and as you allude, he is left sided where we have options, not saying there are better options on th eleft than we have even though not a priority, but £60m+ for Richarlison, if we were signisn a left winger, would be madness to spend that amount on him when there are loads of talented left wingers at the moment would all cost less
I was going for the Fifa style morale linkup; richarlison - Fred - Antony

no kidding, I was going for his pace and hard work as much as anything to help the young LB and still contribute to attack. The fact that he’s decent in the air is also a bonus.

I’ve stuck to the players we are linked with because they are all hard working

we can easily make back a huge chunk of whatever the outlay is from sales

Lentwood

Personally, I would get rid of Ronaldo, Pogba, De Gea, Rashford, Matic, Amad, Pellistri, Cavani, Martial, Tuanzebe, Jones, Bailly & DvdB.

I would bring Garner back from Forest and start to integrate Hannibal. We also have the likes of Garnacho, Iqbal, Shoretire and Menghi to fill the squad out.

I'd play Henderson in goal, not because I think he's a fantastic GK, but because having DDG on £350K per week is absolute insanity and we need a reset when it comes to wages and salaries.

The back four will have to do for now, I just think we can get better expected value investing elsewhere.

We're crying out for a proper CM and a proper CF, so I'd look to spend most of the funds I can raise in these areas. No idea who we sign, but the profile has to be 21-25, aggressive, talented, hard-working and physical.

What ultimately ends up happening with Greenwood will also be key. Like it or not, he was one of our best players.

It's not a fantastic squad but at least we'll be getting rid of the sulkers, the players who earn far too much, the players who have one good game in five. It's never likely to be fixed in one window, but I think we could challenge for 4th even without all of those players I'd get rid of, with the right additions.

laughtersassassin

3/4 of our entire squad needs to be gone and replaced in the next 18 months.

Needs to be a clear out like Pep did at City.

Fresh Slate. New players. That's what is needed.

laughtersassassin

Personally, I would get rid of Ronaldo, Pogba, De Gea, Rashford, Matic, Amad, Pellistri, Cavani, Martial, Tuanzebe, Jones, Bailly & DvdB.

I would bring Garner back from Forest and start to integrate Hannibal. We also have the likes of Garnacho, Iqbal, Shoretire and Menghi to fill the squad out.

I'd play Henderson in goal, not because I think he's a fantastic GK, but because having DDG on £350K per week is absolute insanity and we need a reset when it comes to wages and salaries.

The back four will have to do for now, I just think we can get better expected value investing elsewhere.

We're crying out for a proper CM and a proper CF, so I'd look to spend most of the funds I can raise in these areas. No idea who we sign, but the profile has to be 21-25, aggressive, talented, hard-working and physical.

What ultimately ends up happening with Greenwood will also be key. Like it or not, he was one of our best players.

It's not a fantastic squad but at least we'll be getting rid of the sulkers, the players who earn far too much, the players who have one good game in five. It's never likely to be fixed in one window, but I think we could challenge for 4th even without all of those players I'd get rid of, with the right additions.
I'd agree with a lot of what you said but the Amad part makes no sense. He is much better than a lot of the youngsters you suggest filling the squad out with.

And to be honest in the games he played with Hannibal he was the better player.

Way too early to be selling him.

NoPace

Apparently Newcastle are interested in Robert Sanchez. Considering what they've already done in terms of recruitment, I'd be surprised, if they'd be interested in de Gea.
Yeah they seem to be smartly targeting younger players apart from the emergency staying up buys (Wood, Trippier sort of). Shame, I was hoping they'd buy Maguire.

AdNani

Even if he's cleared i think it's very difficult for him to come back, he'll be absolutely slaughtered at every ground. Old Trafford included.

Lentwood

I'd agree with a lot of what you said but the Amad part makes no sense. He is much better than a lot of the youngsters you suggest filling the squad out with.

And to be honest in the games he played with Hannibal he was the better player.

Way too early to be selling him.
Amad definitely looks talented, for sure. The issue I have with him is his physical stature. Can he ever be an effective PL player in a high-intensity, high-pressing side?

I watched the first 3/4 games he played in Scotland for Rangers and he looked like a rabbit in the headlights in the Old Firm Derby

golden_blunder

Staff
Even if he's cleared i think it's very difficult for him to come back, he'll be absolutely slaughtered at every ground. Old Trafford included.
Yep he’s finished at United.
the legal process will probably take another year by which time he’s out of football for at least a year and a half. Nobody will see the best of him for probably another 6 months, if at all. That’s before we talk about the reactions he’s going to get everywhere, live matches, social media etc
and that’s if he’s innocent!
If he somehow remains free he is going to have to move country to reboot his career

golden_blunder

Staff
Amad definitely looks talented, for sure. The issue I have with him is his physical stature. Can he ever be an effective PL player in a high-intensity, high-pressing side?

I watched the first 3/4 games he played in Scotland for Rangers and he looked like a rabbit in the headlights in the Old Firm Derby
Why couldn’t he be? Mane isn’t huge; neither is Salah. You don’t have to be a huge chunk of concrete to be able to put pressure on and steal the odd ball back, you just need stamina and the willingness to chase

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
100% this. We are still way behind City and Chelsea. If anything is the Utd way it is this. Sort it.
A lot of top clubs already adopted this, even in South American leagues. We should had already started this, because it's not that easy to assemble a functional department: everybody needs to be in the same wavelength and focused on the same goals.
Let's see if Ragnick can deploy his "knowledge" on the off-field structure, since I believe it will be his main task when the season ends.
Or... Luis Campos is looking for a new project, his CV as Director of Football is impressive.

Lentwood

Why couldn’t he be? Mane isn’t huge; neither is Salah. You don’t have to be a huge chunk of concrete to be able to put pressure on and steal the odd ball back, you just need stamina and the willingness to chase
Have you seen Mane and Salah? They look like they're carved out of marble! I'm not saying you need to be 6ft 3" but Amad is so slight and so small.

Again, I was fairly optimistic about Amad until the recent loan spell in Scotland. I get he's not had much senior football, I get that he needs to fill-out.....but you would expect that if he were going to be good enough for us, he'd be getting a game for a very run-of-the-mill Rangers team. He is 20 in 3-months, we're not talking about a 16YO kid here.

bucky

ST: T. Abraham, Gerard Moreno, Evanilson, Núñez
FW/AM: Nkunku, Diaby, Olise, Madueke, Berardi
CM: Fabian Ruiz, Vitinha, Caqueret, K. Koné
DM: Tchouaméni, C. Doucouré, Kamara
CB: Gvardiol, Koundé, Tabsoba, Kilman, Roger Ibañez
RB: Vanderson, Malo Gusto
LB: T. Hernandez, B. Sosa, Raum
GK: Diogo Costa?, Robert Sánchez

Our best options currently IMO. Diogo Costa, Evanilson and Darwin Núñez are mostly there, because I've heard good things and their stats look good. The rest I've actually seen more often. Abraham similar to Osimhen would probably cost too much, however he's been very good for Roma. If I'd have to choose between him and Nkunku, I'd choose Nkunku though. Even if it would mean going into next season without a classical striker. Fabián Ruiz would probably only work with Tchouaméni. Since both are unlikely, I'd opt for Tchouaméni. Doucouré is the easiest and closest replacement to Matic I can think of and he shouldn't be that expensive. T. Hernandez is most likely not possible and David Raum might be the Bruno Fernandes version of a left-back, a high-risk, high-reward player, which might make him unsuitable to our style next season. Borna Sosa could be the best option, he's a very good passer and should Telles leave, he'd make sense as competition or as a replacement for Shaw.

Last edited:

LuckyScout78

New players arrive mean some current players have to leave.

And after all mine recommendations. I will say apologize to United new upcoming cm in James Garner. I totally forgot about him. From his video clips. I think he has the drive, engine, guts, explosive and acceleration i am looking after a cm player. Both with and without the ball.

And United might be playing Europa league next season. So i hope and think United new manager will play youth and upcoming players in the Europa league and save players for league games.

Back in transfer in and out.

I hope the new manager have guts to move on with Matic and give Matic spot to Garner.

Players out :

+ Pobga, CM : Think he will leave for champion league football. Special when he is on his late stage of career. A move to PSG could be the right destination.

+ Matic : DCM : United shall think future and long term. Liverpool at their golden generation. Plus City. Have Matic here will not help much about top 4 or battle for league title. United need young guts, drive, engine and legs there.

+ Mata : RW, CAM

+ Bailly : CB

Right now. Those 4 are players i would ship out of i was United manager.

Transfer in:

+ Christian Eriksen: New creative cm player. Replacement for Pobga. Give Eriksen a one year contract with option for another year. Depend on his health and performances. If Eriksen keep playing like for Brentford and Denmark after the comeback next season. A new upcoming cm player in James Garner will learn a lot from one of the most precise right foot right now in football world. With both feets. Garner will learn from the best in Eriksen. Eriksen football vision, head and understand makes him one of the most unique players out there. The way he spread the ball around and combination short and few touches and movement football. Not only Garner, but Hanniball will learn a lot. Those youngster is no way near ERiksen football skill level. The full packet as a creative offensive cm football player.
Eriksen contract with Brentford run out this summer. And Eriksen had time back with Ajax an Dutch football. Eriksen knows how to play 433 and quick and precise football.

+ James Garner in to the first team squad next season. As DCM

+ Raphinha RW for Mata

Lisandro Martinez from Ajax for Bailly

How to line up those 4 new players in a 433 formation?

Bissaka - Varane - Martinez - Shaw

Raphinha/Diallo - Eriksen/McTom/Hannibal,DVB 8 - Garner/Fred 6 - Bruno/DVB/Hannibal 8 - Sancho/Rashford/Garnacho + Ronado/Rashford/McNeil

Those 6 combination above shall be good enough for top 4.

There you have. Double players in each position

I will trust on Garner and Fred next season. As deep laying balance cm playmaker. With Fred as another option and even Eriksen can play as nr.6 and spread the ball around. If none of them will reach the top and highest level of a nr.6/DCM

Then i will go for Manuel Locatelli from Juventus for the nr.6 role next summer.

Raphinha - Eriksen - Locatelli/Garner - Bruno - Sancho/Martial + Rashford = Good enough for top 4. And with a strong squad depth and double covering in each position. Shall give hard competition for league title

new Edit and adding

Last edited:

Borussia Teeth

Have you seen Mane and Salah? They look like they're carved out of marble! I'm not saying you need to be 6ft 3" but Amad is so slight and so small.

Again, I was fairly optimistic about Amad until the recent loan spell in Scotland. I get he's not had much senior football, I get that he needs to fill-out.....but you would expect that if he were going to be good enough for us, he'd be getting a game for a very run-of-the-mill Rangers team. He is 20 in 3-months, we're not talking about a 16YO kid here.
I wouldn't say Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Iniesta etc are carved out of marble but they have the required physicality to play top level football. I would be more concerned if we had too many players with Lukaku's physique than Amad's.

Lentwood

I wouldn't say Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Iniesta etc are carved out of marble but they have the required physicality to play top level football. I would be more concerned if we had too many players with Lukaku's physique than Amad's.
There are always exceptions that prove the rule, plus all of those players worked exceptionally hard and were unbelievably talented.

As I said elsewhere, I think Amad is a talented footballer....but would perhaps a sale with a buyback would be the best option for him and us right now.

Bwuk

Thoughts on Aaron Hickey at Bologna?

Could see him developing into another Andy Robertson.

The Sub Goalie

Thoughts on Aaron Hickey at Bologna?

Could see him developing into another Andy Robertson.
I'm a Hearts season ticket holder so seen a fair bit of the kid and he is quality.

When he moved to Bologna I was pleased as he never took the easy choice and sign for Celtic or Rangers. By all accounts he has performed excellently at Bologna and has received rave reviews.

Biggest compliment I can pay him is that anytime he has stepped up a level, he looks like he has played there for years including playing in a Scottish Cup Final at 16 years old.

He actually reminds of Dennis Irwin and is comfortable on either flank at full back.

Dolf

If you ask me it is absolutely crucial that we get atleast two of the following players.

Palhinha (Sporting)
Tchouameni (Monaco)
Nunez (Benfica)
Antony (Ajax)
Nkunku (RB Leipzig)
Merino (Real Sociedad)

I would add Rice or Kane to that list but they are going to be way too expensive so not even an option considering we need to buy multiple players this window.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Players I can't see having a future with us in a cohesive Ten Hag team:

De gea
Awb
Maguire
Shaw
Rashford
Bruno
Ronaldo

Awb aside that is also the lions share of dressing room egos and personalities. A new culture and new beginning will only truly start once most of this group is gone.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Players I can't see having a future with us in a cohesive Ten Hag team:

De gea
Awb
Maguire
Shaw
Rashford
Bruno
Ronaldo

Awb aside that is also the lions share of dressing room egos and personalities. A new culture and new beginning will only truly start once most of this group is gone.
Why can't Maguire be a part of it? Or Shaw, if he gets back to last season's form? Or rashford, if he finds his confidence again? Or Bruno? Like are you just trying to name unrealistic names just to be annoyed at something later? A good coach looks at the players he has and tries to get the best out of them. Maguire is extremely suited to Ten Hag's football. Guy is lacking confidence. Bruno obviously is somebody you hate yet has been for the most part fantastic since he joined and will be loved by whatever manager comes in. Rashford will get his chance to recover his form, as will Shaw. You don't just cut them before giving them a chance. That's just crazy talk.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Why can't Maguire be a part of it? Or Shaw, if he gets back to last season's form? Or rashford, if he finds his confidence again? Or Bruno? Like are you just trying to name unrealistic names just to be annoyed at something later? A good coach looks at the players he has and tries to get the best out of them. Maguire is extremely suited to Ten Hag's football. Guy is lacking confidence. Bruno obviously is somebody you hate yet has been for the most part fantastic since he joined and will be loved by whatever manager comes in. Rashford will get his chance to recover his form, as will Shaw. You don't just cut them before giving them a chance. That's just crazy talk.
Calm down buddy. I don't hate Bruno, I just don't rate him that highly. He was great the first year we got him but the last almost two years now have been average/poor with good games few and far between.

Shaw has had 2/3 good seasons for us out of 8. Not odds I like

Maguire I agree with you, could be a decent cb with Ten Hag around but i still think he shouldn't be captain. Also like Bruno his performances have been overstated. The guy has been shocking for us this year and to me it's 50/50 what Maguire we get next year. As the new gaffer coming in, i can see Maguire being the sacrificial lamb to show the flock all bets are off. If england international and captain can be got rid of then no one is safe from underperforming.

Rashford has been poor for a while and my biggest criticism of him has always been his football intelligence. I can't see a forward in that mould starting for Ten Hag. Maybe he's a Walcott like option off the bench but again control and cohesiveness in the dressing room is key. No more leaks to the press.

Now I might be biased cause I don't rate most of these players currently as well but i stand by what i said.

Devil may care

So much it's hard to know where to start, midfield remains a disaster requiring 2 signings, we need another CB incredibly (This Timber lad might be interesting) and we need a forward, if Ronaldo is staying I hope we get to a versatile attacker like Nkunku. We could do with a RB as well but not sure who, maybe ETH will give Laird a chance.

This thread started in 2018. Simply sad.
And we're no further forward sadly.

Maguire isn't suited to the high line of Ten Hag's style, but more than that he's wilted under pressure, him, Shaw and Rashford have displayed dreadful attitudes over the last 6 months, it's not just form, and I'm a big fan of Shaw. Bruno is different, he just needs his brain coaching which can be done hopefully.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So much it's hard to know where to start, midfield remains a disaster requiring 2 signings, we need another CB incredibly (This Timber lad might be interesting) and we need a forward, if Ronaldo is staying I hope we get to a versatile attacker like Nkunku. We could do with a RB as well but not sure who, maybe ETH will give Laird a chance.

And we're no further forward sadly.

Maguire isn't suited to the high line of Ten Hag's style, but more than that he's wilted under pressure, him, Shaw and Rashford have displayed dreadful attitudes over the last 6 months, it's not just form, and I'm a big fan of Shaw. Bruno is different, he just needs his brain coaching which can be done hopefully.
Id say it remains to be seen if he's suited to one yet! The defensive structure of a team owes a lot to coaching. And we haven't exactly had good coaching at United the past 5 years. Ten Hag did just fine using Daley Blind as a center back for quite a while until he moved him out to LB again. Not like Blind is quick at all!

In terms of how they've handled pressure/attitudes/etc... Players lose form. It happens. The whole club has been a shit show and it's been tough for anyone to come out looking good. Keep in mind they all came back from summer heartbreaks with England, and the team has been a disaster in large thanks to the coaching ineptitude under Ole, and then the whole Greenwood situation happening right as we were finding a bit of form under Ralf. Its been a shit show of a season, but they're all better than this. They'll all have the chance to prove they are better than this. We've been a team just waiting for the season to end for ages, but it's not "career over" just because of 1 bad season. Chelsea went from finishing 10th with toxic Mourinho to being champions with Conte. Obviously we won't jump like that, but we aren't as bad as that either.

Important to not overreact to a bad season and see what can actually be improved through a bit of confidence and some coaching in a system that suits. If Rashford, Shaw and Maguire can all show good form, then why not? They've all shown the form required of them in the not too distant past. We aren't asking them for something they've never shown (different situation to asking AWB to be a progressive RB or McTominay to be the right DM for us, where they just aren't those players).

Devil may care

Id say it remains to be seen if he's suited to one yet! The defensive structure of a team owes a lot to coaching. And we haven't exactly had good coaching at United the past 5 years. Ten Hag did just fine using Daley Blind as a center back for quite a while until he moved him out to LB again. Not like Blind is quick at all!
It's not just about pace, it's about positioning, mentality and mobility, all of which Maguire lacks, for ages now he's looked completely overwhelmed by the scrutiny that comes with playing for Manchester United and whenever we push up for a higher line he just can't get turned around.

In terms of how they've handled pressure/attitudes/etc... Players lose form. It happens. The whole club has been a shit show and it's been tough for anyone to come out looking good. Keep in mind they all came back from summer heartbreaks with England, and the team has been a disaster in large thanks to the coaching ineptitude under Ole, and then the whole Greenwood situation happening right as we were finding a bit of form under Ralf. Its been a shit show of a season, but they're all better than this. They'll all have the chance to prove they are better than this. We've been a team just waiting for the season to end for ages, but it's not "career over" just because of 1 bad season. Chelsea went from finishing 10th with toxic Mourinho to being champions with Conte. Obviously we won't jump like that, but we aren't as bad as that either.

Important to not overreact to a bad season and see what can actually be improved through a bit of confidence and some coaching in a system that suits. If Rashford, Shaw and Maguire can all show good form, then why not? They've all shown the form required of them in the not too distant past. We aren't asking them for something they've never shown (different situation to asking AWB to be a progressive RB or McTominay to be the right DM for us, where they just aren't those players).
I'm not overreacting mate, as I said I'm a fan of Shaw but with him and Rashford there's no excuse for their rancid attitudes, they play like they don't give a shit, tactics and coaching have zero to do with effort and professionalism, and it's not just them, they are just the 2 we're talking about, there are others like Pogba, Ronaldo and Cavani who also act like this, in contrast Fred, Matic, Dalot, Lindelof etc....have at least put the effort in, Bruno has as well but his tantrums aren't helpful. Maguire isn't so much a case of giving up, it's he can't cope with the pressure, and he was always massively overrated and overpriced Imo, conversely Shaw and Rashford did look top drawer at one point, last season I felt Shaw was the best LB in Europe, but I find it hard to look past their mentality and attitude as they just gave up when top 4 was absolutely achievable.

Nick.

We may have missed a trick not going for Bruno Guimares in January.